Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Old 07-23-19, 02:56 PM
  #1626  
Rick53 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 128

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
I'd highly recommend riding both and decide for yourself. Some people ride Audi, BMW, Lexus and think it's worth it over Honda, Toyota, etc. And some people don't think the improvement justifies the expense. It's a highly individual value judgment.

Having just been where you are (Memorial Day 2019), here's how my experience went.
  1. Walked into LBS, just getting back into cycling after nearly 30 years of not being on a bike. Wanted to spend under a grand. Tried FX3 Disc. Liked it. Saw the FX4 which had a $100 discount due to Mem Day sale, so since it closed the gap in price I asked to test ride it.
  2. Rode the FX4. The shedding of about 3lbs, plus the improvement from the Acera 3x9 to the Tiagra 2x10 was noticeable. Also the ride felt a little bit...not stiffer...but it felt like it was easier to pedal, like more of my effort was going to the wheels and translating into slightly faster speed for the same or less effort.
  3. Black has always been one of my favorite colors for vehicles. Of course, the FXS5 was right beside the FX4 on the rack. I lifted the bike and even though on paper it lists as only 1lbs lighter, it seemed more. I had never ridden a carbon bike, so I was intrigued, even though I had already hit my budget limit with the FX4. That was a revelatory experience. I immediately knew that if I bought the 4, I'd spend the next year(s) second-guessing not ponying up for the CF frame. Same Tiagra transmission, but the CF frame literally felt like a different class of vehicle. I went faster with less effort. Cornering was tight as a drum. A stupid smile emerged and stayed on my face. This was definitely going to be the one.
  4. Until I saw the 6 right beside it. The LBS manager mentioned that at over $2K, the Mem Day discount jumped to $200 off. And the LBS was having a "they pay sales tax" special, so the difference then was only $100 between the 5 and 6. Let's just say that I'd have paid the entire $200 difference after experiencing the 105 group set.
I realize that I had a $200 discount and no-tax so that doesn't apply to today's prices. But despite having spent nearly double my $1K budget, I haven't regretted it for one moment. If it's not going to change your quality of life, and if you plan on riding a lot, it's money well spent imho.
Good Points : Where I am at Nobody has any better then FX 3 in stock. Thanks for your input : Sounds like for what it is . The FX 6 flys pretty well
Rick53 is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 03:56 PM
  #1627  
Rick53 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 128

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn View Post
Summit City in Ft Wayne, Small world
Whose Bike Rack is that ?
Rick53 is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 08:19 PM
  #1628  
CarloM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53 View Post
Good Points : Where I am at Nobody has any better then FX 3 in stock. Thanks for your input : Sounds like for what it is . The FX 6 flys pretty well
Bummer. But the 3 Disc is a good bike. I'm just a big fan of 2X drivetrains vs. 3X, so at minimum I would have said try to stretch to a 4. The 3 is still a solid fitness/hybrid bike.

If you don't mind mail order, you might look at Canyon. I was at Carlsbad last month and rode several of their models. All were a lot of fun. They make good bikes at good prices, usually about 15-20% lower than those who go through dealers vs. internet direct. But you lose that connection with your LBS. If you are going to need service, nothing can replace a good relationship with a friendly LBS. But if you're comfortable doing light to moderate maintenance on your bike, and willing to pay for major repairs at the shop, then Canyons are a good value.

My first two purchases were from my LBS where I'm now on great terms with everyone who works there. My next one will likely be a Canyon, since I have a Parktool stand and the most common tools and greases/lubricants at home, plus a natural inclination to want to work on my own machines.
CarloM is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 09:01 PM
  #1629  
Drdiaboloco
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 17

Bikes: 1994 Trek 1200, 1995 Trek 8000, Trek FX3 Disc, Marin Nail Trail 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53 View Post
Whose Bike Rack is that ?
That looks like a Thule T2 Pro XT.
Drdiaboloco is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 11:11 PM
  #1630  
Drdiaboloco
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 17

Bikes: 1994 Trek 1200, 1995 Trek 8000, Trek FX3 Disc, Marin Nail Trail 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My first pic.

Installed rack yesterday, including lots of cursing and ultimately manhandling into proper alignment. Panniers arrived today. Just loaded them up for a short (2mi) trip to my camping trailer, including two cast iron cooking pieces. 45lb of kit as basically a test run tomorrow. Grocery runs are the long-term plan here.

Last edited by Drdiaboloco; 07-24-19 at 08:19 AM. Reason: formatting jacked up
Drdiaboloco is offline  
Old 07-24-19, 09:16 AM
  #1631  
Rick53 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 128

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
Bummer. But the 3 Disc is a good bike. I'm just a big fan of 2X drivetrains vs. 3X, so at minimum I would have said try to stretch to a 4. The 3 is still a solid fitness/hybrid bike.

If you don't mind mail order, you might look at Canyon. I was at Carlsbad last month and rode several of their models. All were a lot of fun. They make good bikes at good prices, usually about 15-20% lower than those who go through dealers vs. internet direct. But you lose that connection with your LBS. If you are going to need service, nothing can replace a good relationship with a friendly LBS. But if you're comfortable doing light to moderate maintenance on your bike, and willing to pay for major repairs at the shop, then Canyons are a good value.

My first two purchases were from my LBS where I'm now on great terms with everyone who works there. My next one will likely be a Canyon, since I have a Parktool stand and the most common tools and greases/lubricants at home, plus a natural inclination to want to work on my own machines.
I can work on My own Bikes : Pretty familiar with Bike Mechanics : As I mentioned earlier : Nothing as far as Derailleurs cages Carriages cranks etc has really changed over-all. Terminology has somewhat : Otherwise not much different tehn what we worked on as Kids : Same concept : SO Mail order wouldn't bother me at all. 2X vs 3X is a Good point :

Last edited by Rick53; 07-24-19 at 09:26 AM.
Rick53 is offline  
Old 07-24-19, 09:17 AM
  #1632  
Rick53 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 128

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Drdiaboloco View Post
My first pic.

Installed rack yesterday, including lots of cursing and ultimately manhandling into proper alignment. Panniers arrived today. Just loaded them up for a short (2mi) trip to my camping trailer, including two cast iron cooking pieces. 45lb of kit as basically a test run tomorrow. Grocery runs are the long-term plan here.
I meant the Hitch rack:
Rick53 is offline  
Old 07-24-19, 11:33 AM
  #1633  
Drdiaboloco
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 17

Bikes: 1994 Trek 1200, 1995 Trek 8000, Trek FX3 Disc, Marin Nail Trail 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53 View Post
I meant the Hitch rack:
Those Thules are probably easier to assemble than that stupid Bontrager.
Drdiaboloco is offline  
Old 07-28-19, 09:31 AM
  #1634  
urbanOrange
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 15

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Exclamation 2020 FX Sport 6 Released

Originally Posted by urbanOrange View Post
Some observations on the new 2020 FXs ...

All of the new 2020s added to the website have flat mount discs, both fork and frame.
The FX Sport 4 is now marked on the top tube as "FX 4" instead of "FX S 4", and it no longer has the same graphics as before. Also, it comes standard with the Bontrager R1 Hard-Case Lite tires instead of the Bontrager AW1 Hard-Case Lite tires. It seems to (based on the new pics) have actual Shimano calipers instead of the Tektro ones, and the disc rotors have changed. I'm not sure if they were Tektro previously, but they seem to be Shimanos now. I think the new pics show it to now be using the Shimano brake levers instead of the Tektro ones. The official weight has increased from 22.7 lbs to 23.11 lbs.
Hi all,

I just noticed the new 2020 FX Sport 6 has been added to the US TREK website.

At first glance, everything seems to be the same as the 2019 model other than the graphics and the tires. It's now marked on the top tube as "FX 6" instead of "FX S 6". Similarly to the 2019 FX S 4 to 2020 FX S 4, tires have gone from AW to R tires, specifically AW2 Hard-Case Lite to R2 Hard-Case Lite. The specs indicate it's still using Tektro HD-R310 brakes.
The official weight has decreased from 21.16 lbs to 20.5 lbs.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ort-6/p/28843/

Last edited by urbanOrange; 07-28-19 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Added observed changes between 2019 and 2020 models
urbanOrange is offline  
Old 07-28-19, 12:07 PM
  #1635  
CarloM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanOrange View Post
Hi all,

I just noticed the new 2020 FX Sport 6 has been added to the US TREK website.

At first glance, everything seems to be the same as the 2019 model other than the graphics and the tires. It's now marked on the top tube as "FX 6" instead of "FX S 6". Similarly to the 2019 FX S 4 to 2020 FX S 4, tires have gone from AW to R tires, specifically AW2 Hard-Case Lite to R2 Hard-Case Lite. The specs indicate it's still using Tektro HD-R310 brakes.
The official weight has decreased from 21.16 lbs to 20.5 lbs.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ort-6/p/28843/
That S decal must have weighted a lot!
CarloM is offline  
Likes For CarloM:
Old 07-28-19, 04:25 PM
  #1636  
Rick53 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 128

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
That S decal must have weighted a lot!
Those weights aren't 100% anyway : I would guess there's variables of ounces on every bike : I just rode a 2020 FX 6 and 2020 FX 4 > It's really hard to pick : THe dealer I was at was huge. They carry at least one of every trek : All the way up the Line : Of the lower cost they had 2-3 of each size and color. I mention this only to lend credit to what they told me. Which was there's some 2020 Models yet to come in the Dual Sport FX and the Verve : I didn't ask about the other models : So I would assume there as well.

I went to Buy an FX 6 : After Riding the FX 4 Not so Sure : JMO though
Rick53 is offline  
Old 07-28-19, 06:44 PM
  #1637  
CarloM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 59 Posts
Honestly, I only went for the FX S6 due to 1) the $200 off and LBS pays sales tax offer, 2) carbon frame (never owned one), 3) 105 group. The last one is probably the most important. The shifting was just demonstrably smoother than the FX 4, and the gear ratios (50/34 front chain + 11 gear 11-32 cassette of the S6 vs. the 48/34 + 10 gear 11-34 cassette of the 4) just felt better to me.

But that's not to say I didn't enjoy the heck out of riding the 4. In fact, like you, my dealer had the whole line. If I had never ridden the S5/6 I could have gone home with the FX4 and been perfectly happy. Just a totally unscientific personal opinion based on my test rides: the 4 gets you 80% of the ride quality of the S6 at 57% of the price. Whether that last 20% is worth the price difference is up to each of us.
CarloM is offline  
Old 07-28-19, 07:06 PM
  #1638  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,943

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
Bummer. But the 3 Disc is a good bike. I'm just a big fan of 2X drivetrains vs. 3X, so at minimum I would have said try to stretch to a 4. The 3 is still a solid fitness/hybrid bike.
The 2020 FX3 comes with a 2x drivetrain.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 07-28-19, 07:17 PM
  #1639  
CarloM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
The 2020 FX3 comes with a 2x drivetrain.
Cool! I did the "Australia region" trick on Trek's site and saw it. Interesting choice to go 46/30 paired with 11-36 9 speed cassette. When my shop gets theirs I'll be curious to ride it and see how the gearing ratios feel.
CarloM is offline  
Likes For CarloM:
Old 07-28-19, 09:22 PM
  #1640  
Drdiaboloco
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 17

Bikes: 1994 Trek 1200, 1995 Trek 8000, Trek FX3 Disc, Marin Nail Trail 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53 View Post
Those weights aren't 100% anyway : I would guess there's variables of ounces on every bike
FWIW... Trek's site lists my 2019 FX3 Disc as being 26.54lbs for a size M. Let's just say that's 26lb8oz.

I have a large. Weight of my bike as I have it equipped is 27lb 4oz.

Things on the bike that are not "stock": Kickstand (7oz), bottle cages (2 oz total), pedals (13oz), cycle computer (don't know, guessing 3oz).

So the bare bike with all stock reflectors but no pedals is 25lb 7oz. I didn't weigh the stock pedals but if they weigh a full pound then it's still just below the published weight of the bike in size M.

Last edited by Drdiaboloco; 07-28-19 at 09:28 PM.
Drdiaboloco is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 06:20 AM
  #1641  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 23,315

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 171 Posts
had a little Trek FX party w/ a short ride w/ some of the family



rumrunn6 is offline  
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-29-19, 11:27 AM
  #1642  
Rick53 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 128

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
Cool! I did the "Australia region" trick on Trek's site and saw it. Interesting choice to go 46/30 paired with 11-36 9 speed cassette. When my shop gets theirs I'll be curious to ride it and see how the gearing ratios feel.
I am waiting for the FX3 : I already have 2019 Dual Sport 2 in black. If I were to Buy the FX-6 I'd have to sell it to afford the 6.

Yesterday I went for a 20 mile ride that started on a paved path : 5 miles in we ran into gravel for 3 miles : Then a flooded out section for a 1/4 of a Mile > The middle was a ft deep. Which led to a few more miles of pot holes and gravel before we ended back on the smooth path. Really enjoyed the ride> Even though we ran into obstacles we weren't planning on.

2 guys that met up with us had expensive Carbon Hybrids One was from Giant, the other I have no idea. Those bikes weren't equipped for the riding we did . In fact the guy riding the Giant gave up and turned around when we ran into the Pot holes :

Until Yesterday I'd talked myself into one of the Upgrade FX models : After Yesterday I'm thinking that trail was fun : It basically had everything : Even hills :

My only complaint would be My tires after getting wet seemed to lose a small difference in traction : Maybe just my Imagination :

Another guy had an FX-2 but with Giant Crosscut Gravel tires : Those are the same size as what came on My DS-2. Definitely not as noisy as My tires on pavement : My tires that come stock on a DS-2 are hummers on concrete surfaces :But seem to out do others when climbing hills

I'm now thinking rather then FX-6 : Keep my Dual Sport and either buy the FX 4 or wait and see what the FX-3 offers : I do know it's a different chaining and the Cables are inside the frame : Obviously not every path is like what we encountered Yesterday. Some are a combination of both concrete and gravel. Others are all concrete : So I could take whatever was going to be best suited for the planned path.

We have a lot of water this year : Being so close to Lake Michigan has caused even some of the Newest Trails to have areas where water has to be crossed :

It also seemed to me that the FX-6 places you more into a Rode Bike position then the FX-4 or some of the FX-2's I've tried : OR IS THAT My IMAGINATION?

Of course there's always getting an FX-6 and put a 40 size tire on it. But sorta defeats the Bikes Intentions
Rick53 is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 11:33 AM
  #1643  
Rick53 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 128

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
had a little Trek FX party w/ a short ride w/ some of the family



Nice Bike path : Looks flatter and twice as wide as where I am. We have all sorts of hilly areas around the Lakes : Most of our paths are the OLD Highways they decided to use as Bike Paths : Some of teh Hill areas are like a Roller Coaster :
Rick53 is offline  
Likes For Rick53:
Old 07-29-19, 12:02 PM
  #1644  
CarloM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53 View Post
I am waiting for the FX3 : I already have 2019 Dual Sport 2 in black. If I were to Buy the FX-6 I'd have to sell it to afford the 6.

Yesterday I went for a 20 mile ride that started on a paved path : 5 miles in we ran into gravel for 3 miles : Then a flooded out section for a 1/4 of a Mile > The middle was a ft deep. Which led to a few more miles of pot holes and gravel before we ended back on the smooth path. Really enjoyed the ride> Even though we ran into obstacles we weren't planning on.

2 guys that met up with us had expensive Carbon Hybrids One was from Giant, the other I have no idea. Those bikes weren't equipped for the riding we did . In fact the guy riding the Giant gave up and turned around when we ran into the Pot holes :

Until Yesterday I'd talked myself into one of the Upgrade FX models : After Yesterday I'm thinking that trail was fun : It basically had everything : Even hills :

My only complaint would be My tires after getting wet seemed to lose a small difference in traction : Maybe just my Imagination :

Another guy had an FX-2 but with Giant Crosscut Gravel tires : Those are the same size as what came on My DS-2. Definitely not as noisy as My tires on pavement : My tires that come stock on a DS-2 are hummers on concrete surfaces :But seem to out do others when climbing hills

I'm now thinking rather then FX-6 : Keep my Dual Sport and either buy the FX 4 or wait and see what the FX-3 offers : I do know it's a different chaining and the Cables are inside the frame : Obviously not every path is like what we encountered Yesterday. Some are a combination of both concrete and gravel. Others are all concrete : So I could take whatever was going to be best suited for the planned path.

We have a lot of water this year : Being so close to Lake Michigan has caused even some of the Newest Trails to have areas where water has to be crossed :

It also seemed to me that the FX-6 places you more into a Rode Bike position then the FX-4 or some of the FX-2's I've tried : OR IS THAT My IMAGINATION?

Of course there's always getting an FX-6 and put a 40 size tire on it. But sorta defeats the Bikes Intentions
To be clear: these other CF bikes you ran into were hybrid/fitness models right? Not road/racing models? Perhaps they had racing tires on? I know I have some 28c Conti 5K clinchers on my FXS6...I'm not afraid to take it on gravel, cobbly roads or even light off-road (not full mountain biking terrain) and I've hit more badly paved roads complete with potholes and parts of pavement sharply pushed up by tree roots and have never been scared for my frame.

A friend is inviting me to ride on trails. Again, just shy of mountain biking hard-riding (although the trails are up in the hills) and the only thing I'm considering is maybe switching out to 32c or 35c gravel tires for better grip.

I had considered something with shocks like the Dual Sport...but basically for roads and gravel I preferred the ride of the FX--the DS was much heavier and spongier/less responsive on better roads in comparison to the FX. But that's personal preference, you may feel differently.

If I do any "harder" type of riding, I'll get a MTB and go full-on off-roading.
CarloM is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 12:32 PM
  #1645  
Rick53 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 128

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
To be clear: these other CF bikes you ran into were hybrid/fitness models right? Not road/racing models? Perhaps they had racing tires on? I know I have some 28c Conti 5K clinchers on my FXS6...I'm not afraid to take it on gravel, cobbly roads or even light off-road (not full mountain biking terrain) and I've hit more badly paved roads complete with potholes and parts of pavement sharply pushed up by tree roots and have never been scared for my frame.

A friend is inviting me to ride on trails. Again, just shy of mountain biking hard-riding (although the trails are up in the hills) and the only thing I'm considering is maybe switching out to 32c or 35c gravel tires for better grip.

I had considered something with shocks like the Dual Sport...but basically for roads and gravel I preferred the ride of the FX--the DS was much heavier and spongier/less responsive on better roads in comparison to the FX. But that's personal preference, you may feel differently.

If I do any "harder" type of riding, I'll get a MTB and go full-on off-roading.
Good points :Off roading isn't ever going to be my thing : I have spent at least 40 years Dirt Bike Riding : So off road with a Pedal Bike is of no Interest :

Swapping tires looks relatively simple :Is it as easy as Videos make it appear?

I also noticed on Australia's Web Site There's a 2020 FX 5 : Maybe that's what this salesmen was referring to when he said the FX line was going to cover it all. Although I don't really see why you'd improve an FX-6 > I may yet go that route.

My State doesn't have Trek's Generous liberal Trade UP Policy : Nobody Here honors it: Living in Michigan Riding without Snow Often is End of April thru Mid October : Once in awhile we get an extended Fall or earlier Spring : But that is cut short on the other end . Early Spring =Earlier Snow We've had no Snow until Mid January But as early as Late September and stays > So best case is 7 months average:

Only one Bike Shop in 150 plus Miles that even carries Bikes past the $1000.00 Range : Sales Guy Told me the Hottest sellers are FX-2 and Verve 2 . Then a Few Marlins and Roscoe :
Rick53 is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 12:58 PM
  #1646  
csrpenfab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53 View Post

My State doesn't have Trek's Generous liberal Trade UP Policy : Nobody Here honors it: :
I'm not sure I'd call Trek's "Trade Up" policy "liberal". It uses "Bicycle Blue Book" for values and my 2019 Trek FXS6 that was over $2k new 11 months ago has a top end value of about $800 if in perfect condition. I'm considering getting a high end carbon gravel bike, but for $800 I'll hold onto the FXS6!
csrpenfab is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 02:40 PM
  #1647  
CarloM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53 View Post
Swapping tires looks relatively simple :Is it as easy as Videos make it appear?
I'll let you know in a day or two. Since I took of my Conti 5K clinchers for Conti 5K TLs on my road bike, I was thinking of replacing the Bontrager Hardcases that came with the FX with the 5K clinchers. Like you, I've seen the videos, and also watched my LBS's shop guys uninstall/install my tires. I'm sure being super familiar with the task makes it seem like an easy task when I watch them do it, but I'll see how it goes when I try it. Seems straightforward. Release air. Unseat one side. Pull out tube. Unseat other side/remove. Inspect both the tire and rim for cleanliness and make sure they're free of anything that could puncture a tube. Then reverse it: seat one side of new tire, insert tube/valve (helps if there's a little bit of air in it), seat other side--use tire levers if needed and be sure not to pinch tubes. Make sure both side are seated and that no part of tube is pinched or sticking out by working both sides all over the wheel with your fingers. Then inflate with air.

Seems simple. I'll probably struggle.
CarloM is offline  
Old 07-31-19, 07:12 AM
  #1648  
sh00k
Senior Member
 
sh00k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 917

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
had a little Trek FX party w/ a short ride w/ some of the family



why am i never invited to your trek parties?!?!?!?!

seriously tho, love seeing your rides and love that you took the time out to enjoy! hope your summer is going perfectly!
sh00k is offline  
Likes For sh00k:
Old 07-31-19, 07:14 AM
  #1649  
sh00k
Senior Member
 
sh00k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 917

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skoog84 View Post
Did you change your kickstand or how did you solve this? I have same issue with thules ezhitch where i cant mount the bike trailer into the ezhitch because of the kickstand,.
ugh, thanks for following up lol. i never installed the kick stand and just attach the trailer. i lean my bike on the back of a bench or a tree or something similar when im out. i dont mind it.
sh00k is offline  
Old 07-31-19, 08:46 AM
  #1650  
sh00k
Senior Member
 
sh00k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 917

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
just my opinion on the 2020 fx 6 -https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-sport-6/p/28843/

great specs all around but (and i have said this many times before) the color bores the life out of me. they have had this same color for years but now the TREK logo is in a brighter/sparklier color. that's nice but not enough. i get that matte black is trendy but to me, it's like buying a car that only has primer on it. wheres, the color, wheres the shine, wheres the life?! i still love the bike and wish i had one but the color would take a lot of the excitement out of riding for me.

/rant
sh00k is offline  
Likes For sh00k:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.