Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

I need help!!!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

I need help!!!

Old 01-05-12, 12:48 PM
  #1  
kreazychani
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need help!!!

I'm thinking about getting a bike for first time and I've been researching about bikes recently. I was thinking about cheap walmart bike since I will just be commuting to work(about 10 miles round trip) but when I tried it... it was a JUNK!!
My LBS has

2012 Giant Escape 2 for $400,

2009 Cannondale quick 4 for $409 and

2010 quick 5 for $350 because it was a return from customer.

HElp me!! I'm new to BIKE WORLD and I REALLY NEED HELP.

They both look really good bike to me!
oh... and also... I'm 5'7" should I get M or S?
kreazychani is offline  
Old 01-05-12, 01:19 PM
  #2  
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo
 
Yo Spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 2,520

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Both models look fairly similar in construction and components. Best thing to do it try them out for a test ride and see if you prefer the feel of one over the other. The returned Cannondale sounds like a good deal, assuming it was not returned for being defective. I also noticed with an image search that the Cannondale has a guard around the chainrings, which might be convenient on a commuter bike.

I'm also 5"7", here's my similar bike, if it helps give you any idea what size range you are looking at:

Port Bolivar by Yo Spiff, on Flickr
Yo Spiff is offline  
Old 01-05-12, 01:59 PM
  #3  
kreazychani
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply.

is that MD? or SM?
and also ride quality seems pretty same. I will try again this weekend but trying to find out which will be better for the money because they are about same price. I narrowed down to

2012 Escape 2 and 09 Cannondale Quick 4.

I couldn't find specs for 09 Cannondale quick 4 and couldn't find much review about it.
kreazychani is offline  
Old 01-05-12, 02:29 PM
  #4  
fairymuff
Senior Member
 
fairymuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be honest, I would see if I could stretch the budget a little. In the price range you are looking at a couple of additional dollars will quickly translate to better quality. Assuming a daily commute you will spend around 40 minutes a day on it. You might as well make sure it's an enjoyable 40 minutes.

I don't know the Cannondale, but seeing it's an 09 model, one would assume that's marked down a bit, so is likely to have better components. Your LBS should be able to tell you (though they may be desperate to shift if).
fairymuff is offline  
Old 01-05-12, 03:00 PM
  #5  
kreazychani
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fairymuff View Post
To be honest, I would see if I could stretch the budget a little. In the price range you are looking at a couple of additional dollars will quickly translate to better quality. Assuming a daily commute you will spend around 40 minutes a day on it. You might as well make sure it's an enjoyable 40 minutes.

I don't know the Cannondale, but seeing it's an 09 model, one would assume that's marked down a bit, so is likely to have better components. Your LBS should be able to tell you (though they may be desperate to shift if).


My LBS was telling me quick 4 has better components such as carbon fork and yes price has marked down because it is 09 model. I see 2012 Cannodale quick 4 for around 6-650.
Which price range and brand do you recommend if i stretch my budget?
kreazychani is offline  
Old 01-05-12, 03:40 PM
  #6  
fairymuff
Senior Member
 
fairymuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kreazychani View Post
My LBS was telling me quick 4 has better components such as carbon fork and yes price has marked down because it is 09 model. I see 2012 Cannodale quick 4 for around 6-650.
Which price range and brand do you recommend if i stretch my budget?
I'd say that the $600 mark would get you a nice bike for your purpose Obviously, the Cannondale is in that bracket, so that's probably a good bet. Make sure it's the right size for you though. The only real way to find that out is to ride it. You shouldn't feel cramped or stretched.

Oh, and it needs to look cool. You want to enjoy it
fairymuff is offline  
Old 01-05-12, 04:38 PM
  #7  
Pendergast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are the specs for the Cannondales:

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...ck+4&Type=bike

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...ck+5&Type=bike


I'd rule out the Giant Escape 2, so the choice is between the two Cannondales. Either of them would be fine for 10 mile round trip commuting. Yeah, the 2009 Quick 4 is probably worth the extra $59 bucks over the 2010 Quick 5. I doubt you'd be able to feel any difference with a carbon fork with tires as thick as the ones on those bikes, but the other parts seem a bit better across the board. As far as sizing goes, keep in mind that a small, medium or whatever from one company isn't necessarily the same as a small, medium, etc. from another company. The bike shop should be able to help you with the correct size.
Pendergast is offline  
Old 01-05-12, 05:30 PM
  #8  
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Posts: 8,852

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Okay, given the fact the primary intended use for the bike is going to be for commuting in L.A./Orange County CA, I have to ask where will you be 'parking' your bike? If it's leaning against a wall or some place that you can keep an eye on and there are no other bikes around it, then get whatever you feel like. However, if you have to lock up at a community bike rack or other place where other people will be locking up as well, then I'd shy away from carbon forks.



As far as what size frame will fit you- you claim to be purchasing from the LBS, they are more qualified to assist you in that area, since they will be able to eyeball it.
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline  
Old 01-05-12, 06:18 PM
  #9  
fairymuff
Senior Member
 
fairymuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that the likelihood of theft should come into the purchase decision, but I'm not sure where you gleaned the OP's location?
fairymuff is offline  
Old 01-05-12, 06:30 PM
  #10  
kreazychani
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
Okay, given the fact the primary intended use for the bike is going to be for commuting in L.A./Orange County CA, I have to ask where will you be 'parking' your bike? If it's leaning against a wall or some place that you can keep an eye on and there are no other bikes around it, then get whatever you feel like. However, if you have to lock up at a community bike rack or other place where other people will be locking up as well, then I'd shy away from carbon forks.



As far as what size frame will fit you- you claim to be purchasing from the LBS, they are more qualified to assist you in that area, since they will be able to eyeball it.
will be parked inside only where i could see.
kreazychani is offline  
Old 01-05-12, 06:36 PM
  #11  
kreazychani
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post
Here are the specs for the Cannondales:

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...ck+4&Type=bike

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...ck+5&Type=bike


I'd rule out the Giant Escape 2, so the choice is between the two Cannondales. Either of them would be fine for 10 mile round trip commuting. Yeah, the 2009 Quick 4 is probably worth the extra $59 bucks over the 2010 Quick 5. I doubt you'd be able to feel any difference with a carbon fork with tires as thick as the ones on those bikes, but the other parts seem a bit better across the board. As far as sizing goes, keep in mind that a small, medium or whatever from one company isn't necessarily the same as a small, medium, etc. from another company. The bike shop should be able to help you with the correct size.
Any reason for ruling out Giant escape 2? I was actually leaning more toward Giant Escape 2 or 09 Quick 4.
kreazychani is offline  
Old 01-05-12, 07:13 PM
  #12  
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo
 
Yo Spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 2,520

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kreazychani View Post
is that MD? or SM?
TX (Sorry, couldn't resist, since I read MD as "Maryland" instead of "medium")

I would call it a small frame, though I've never measured it. The frame was given to me for free about 3 years ago. Since it's an older model with a level top tube, the size in centimeters won't directly correspond to a newer bike. My road bike is about 21" center to center. (Height of the seat tube, measuring from the center of the bottom bracket to center of top tube) I just measured "Old Red" and she's 18". About right, since mountain bikes are made with higher bottom brackets for off road clearance. My legs are a slightly shorter than average with more of my height in my upper body.

BTW, reach to the bars an comfortable pedaling position are what is important, not standover height. There's an old rule of thumb that says you should have 2" clearance from top tube to crotch when standing over it. I had a bike like that once. WAY too small and could not get comfortable no matter how long a stem I put the handlebars onto.

Last edited by Yo Spiff; 01-05-12 at 07:29 PM.
Yo Spiff is offline  
Old 01-05-12, 07:23 PM
  #13  
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Posts: 8,852

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff View Post
TX (I assume you were asking the location of my photo.)
I got the impression OP was inquiring about the size of the bike...
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline  
Old 01-06-12, 02:41 AM
  #14  
Pendergast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kreazychani View Post
Any reason for ruling out Giant escape 2? I was actually leaning more toward Giant Escape 2 or 09 Quick 4.
I ruled it out because for only $9 more you can get the Quick 4. I'm not totally up on the ins and outs of parts comparisons of bikes in this price range, but it looks to me that the Escape 2 is more comparable to the Quick 5, and the Quick 5 is $50 cheaper. I do know the Alivio rear derailleur on the Quick 5 is a couple of steps up from Altus rear derailleur on the Escape 2.

Last edited by Pendergast; 01-06-12 at 02:49 AM.
Pendergast is offline  
Old 01-06-12, 05:39 AM
  #15  
SlimRider
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,804

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO you'd be much better off with a Jamis Coda Sport. Alternatively, you might also check out the Trek Atwood.

Schwinn Dealerships might be worth your time, as well. Schwinn makes two really decent hybrids that cost much less than the competition. Check out the Schwinn Sporterra Comp and the Schwinn Sporterra Sport. These are both Signature Schwinn bikes that I'm most certain will provide you with many years of enjoyment at a discount.

Of course, there's always the Giant Cypress ST. and the Giant Sedona ST., as well. They both have steel frames and sell for $350.

Good Luck!

- Slim

PS.

Also keep an eye out for used chromoly steel-framed bikes on CL and don't forget www.bikesdirect.com and www.nashbar.com

Last edited by SlimRider; 01-06-12 at 05:42 AM.
SlimRider is offline  
Old 01-06-12, 10:06 AM
  #16  
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo
 
Yo Spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 2,520

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
I got the impression OP was inquiring about the size of the bike...
He was. I read it wrong, but it didn't make sense in the context of the thread, and I did a reedit, but you saw my original post.
Yo Spiff is offline  
Old 01-06-12, 11:53 AM
  #17  
kreazychani
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff View Post
He was. I read it wrong, but it didn't make sense in the context of the thread, and I did a reedit, but you saw my original post.
Sorry about the misunderstanding.
kreazychani is offline  
Old 01-07-12, 11:31 AM
  #18  
Siu Blue Wind
Homey
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,319
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2093 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 486 Posts
Where you buy the bike should be able to help you with sizing.
__________________
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rwilsontraisman
Hybrid Bicycles
2
04-11-15 10:43 AM
LiveFreeAndRide
Hybrid Bicycles
53
04-22-12 04:33 PM
kreazychani
Commuting
2
01-05-12 02:54 PM
easyv
Hybrid Bicycles
5
10-16-11 01:46 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.