Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.
View Poll Results: How long have you been car light or car free?
Car light less than 1 year
169
16.23%
Car free less than 1 year
98
9.41%
Car light less than 5 years
138
13.26%
Car free less than 5 years
119
11.43%
Car light more than 5 years
87
8.36%
Car free more than 5 years
222
21.33%
Contemplating a car light or car free change
182
17.48%
Not interested in becoming car light or car free
26
2.50%
Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Reply

Old 07-08-18, 04:03 PM
  #751  
rossiny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 306

Bikes: Rossin,Raleigh,Casati

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Any body do remodel or construction

Wonder if u can be car free or car light if you do remodeling and building maintenance for a living. My truck and tool boxes are needed for work. Wonder if any one has ever done this for a living and remain car light? And also be self employed ..not just show up to work and have all the tools there..
rossiny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 05:53 AM
  #752  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,717

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rossiny View Post
Wonder if u can be car free or car light if you do remodeling and building maintenance for a living. My truck and tool boxes are needed for work. Wonder if any one has ever done this for a living and remain car light? And also be self employed ..not just show up to work and have all the tools there..
How do you get around when you're not working? How does the rest of your family do it?

Last edited by cooker; 07-09-18 at 06:18 AM.
cooker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 06:04 PM
  #753  
rossiny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 306

Bikes: Rossin,Raleigh,Casati

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Work too much,

I work 70 + hours. Long story , just trying to keep my business going, not becausee of wanting too much, just pay bills etc and just recently got health insurance after having to drop it because of cost. But back to original question . I am driving to and from Menards , lowes, etc and multiple rentals . I need the truck for all the tools and runs. Luckily they are all within ten miles, but biking would be out of the question, only thing I can think of is once the job and tools are set up I could ride my bike for a few days, but all it would take is an emergency repair call, to make the whole day messed up if no truck!..
rossiny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 10:07 PM
  #754  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,717

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rossiny View Post
I work 70 + hours. Long story , just trying to keep my business going, not becausee of wanting too much, just pay bills etc and just recently got health insurance after having to drop it because of cost. But back to original question . I am driving to and from Menards , lowes, etc and multiple rentals . I need the truck for all the tools and runs. Luckily they are all within ten miles, but biking would be out of the question, only thing I can think of is once the job and tools are set up I could ride my bike for a few days, but all it would take is an emergency repair call, to make the whole day messed up if no truck!..
it's pretty clear you need a truck for work. What about the rest of your family?
cooker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-18, 05:49 PM
  #755  
crazzywolfie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orangeville, Ontario
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i don't think i could ever go vehicle less. i use to get by when i was younger biking everywhere but i don't know if i would feel as comfortable biking around town as i use to. with every accident i have nearly been in while driving has made me more hesitant about ever biking in town again. i know there was 1 day nearly got in 3 accident while driving my elcamino and none of the accidents would have been my fault. just stupid drivers. i usually just stick to trails. only thing you got to worry about is pedestrian. plus i almost need my truck to make a bit of money here and there without working a full time job. lot easier to pick stuff up with my truck that i can fix and sell than it is with a bike. even when i use to have a trailer it would only haul so much.
crazzywolfie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 08:32 PM
  #756  
depshop
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Car free (other than my bosses shop truck during work hours) for a few months now and I'm really enjoying it.
depshop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-18, 11:57 AM
  #757  
pmo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I gave up my car in 1987 and it led to a life-changing experience. First the shock of having to function without personal transportation...then the irritation of relying on public transportation. As time went I could appreciate all the money I was saving by not making the usual car maintenance and repairst...costly insurance, etc..A very large weight was lifted from my shoulders and I was actually having fun riding my 3-speed beater. If I need a car I guess I could rent one or a Uhaul for moving large items. For day to day needs my bicycle is the perfect solution...
pmo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-18, 05:32 AM
  #758  
Kahsyrbag
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20

Bikes: J.C. Higgins Freightliner built between 1958-1963, 1985 Mongoose City Bike, Sear & Roebucks Ted Williams Signature Series Free Spirit mid 70s, 2005 Schwinn Stingray Stealth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Almost all my life I have been car free, my Dad gave me a junk car about five years ago that I tried to use, but just felt so unsafe driving it, and got rid of it. I use to have a dozen bikes, but maintenance on that many was expensive, I'm down to four, two of which I have added on headlights, tail lights, turn signals, horns, and sound systems, fun to rid but they weigh over a hundred pounds each, the smaller one was at 120 last I checked.
Kahsyrbag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-18, 08:25 PM
  #759  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 26,838

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Kahsyrbag View Post
Almost all my life I have been car free, my Dad gave me a junk car about five years ago that I tried to use, but just felt so unsafe driving it, and got rid of it. I use to have a dozen bikes, but maintenance on that many was expensive, I'm down to four, two of which I have added on headlights, tail lights, turn signals, horns, and sound systems, fun to rid but they weigh over a hundred pounds each, the smaller one was at 120 last I checked.
Got any pictures of these bikes?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-18, 08:37 PM
  #760  
Kahsyrbag
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20

Bikes: J.C. Higgins Freightliner built between 1958-1963, 1985 Mongoose City Bike, Sear & Roebucks Ted Williams Signature Series Free Spirit mid 70s, 2005 Schwinn Stingray Stealth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Got any pictures of these bikes?
I posted my trike in alt bikes, my cruiser is https://imgur.com/gallery/NCTh5
Kahsyrbag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-18, 04:23 PM
  #761  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 6,623

Bikes: No. 7 now sitting in a box in the living room

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
You're miles beyond hardcore...I just take a little Walkman radio/cassette unit with membrane speakers in a zipper bag and hang it on the handlebars.

Color me in awe.

And that's equal for the bike itself.
__________________
Mrs. Reagan also taught me to Just Say No To Shifting, and be kind to elderly single speeds.
Rollfast is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service