Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Stuff I Love About LCF

Old 11-05-13, 10:26 AM
  #1  
Blue_Bulldog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Blue_Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 185

Bikes: GTR 3 Series, Pure Fix India, Mongoose Ledge 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stuff I Love About LCF

There's a bunch of threads about stuff that annoys us...

I thought I'd make a list of some of the stuff that's awesome about our car free lives. As always, feel free to add.

1. When people complain about gas prices, you get to answer with "Really? I hadn't noticed that."
2. Doctor tells you you've lost weight, BP and BMI are way down, and what kind of diet are you on to be in this good of shape... the look on his face when you admit to having a diet based around donuts and tacos.
3. **orders beer** "May I see your ID please?" "Sure" **server sees how old you actually are** "Wow!! Someone's doing something right!!"
4. Preferred VIP status at the LBS
5. When the "This is your speed" thingie the police set up clocks you from the bike lane, and you realize it's a school zone and if you were a car, you'd totally be getting pulled over.
6. That one street that has the absolutely perfect descent that on the perfect day is like flying
7. Getting back from running errands and realizing "Holy crap, I did 40mi today"
8. Stopping at a stoplight next to a car full of environmental slogans, they look over, realize they're pumping carbon emissions out -- and you aren't. Priceless look.
9. Turns
10. Putting valve cap lights on your wheels and pretending you're Tron
Blue_Bulldog is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 04:30 PM
  #2  
B. Carfree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 7,036
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue_Bulldog View Post
8. Stopping at a stoplight next to a car full of environmental slogans, they look over, realize they're pumping carbon emissions out -- and you aren't. Priceless look.
Six years ago, I put a bumper-sticker sized laminated sticker in my front window that says, "Environmental stickers stuck to a car don't mean (expletive deleted)". None of the cars purchased by my neighbors since then have any environmental bumper stickers on them. (Yes, they know that my family, as well as several others on the block are car-free.)
B. Carfree is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 04:42 PM
  #3  
treal512
Senior Member
 
treal512's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 239

Bikes: '89 Miele Azsora, '09 Motobecane 700HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool thread.

1) Looking at cagers in their cars as you pass them because they're stuck in traffic and you're riding freely, head to the horizon.
2) When people talk about gas prices, you ask them what gas is going for now days because you genuinely have no idea.
3) Pulling up next to cars at stop lights, especially during nice days when it should be a crime to not be outside.
4) Pulling up next to cars at stop lights when they just zoomed past you to make a point.

That's all I have right now.
treal512 is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 08:47 PM
  #4  
surreal
Senior Member
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue_Bulldog View Post
8. Stopping at a stoplight next to a car full of environmental slogans, they look over, realize they're pumping carbon emissions out -- and you aren't. Priceless look.

Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
Six years ago, I put a bumper-sticker sized laminated sticker in my front window that says, "Environmental stickers stuck to a car don't mean (expletive deleted)". None of the cars purchased by my neighbors since then have any environmental bumper stickers on them. (Yes, they know that my family, as well as several others on the block are car-free.)
I've always thought that environmentalism-themed bumper stickers on cars were analogous to putting, like, pacifist bumper stickers on a Sherman tank.... I will say that I once saw a bumper sticker that read "two less rollerskates", and thought it was funny.

I also bought this bumper sticker; I'm trying to decide where to put it.


Speaking of which, have y'all seen this blog? http://sparetheroadblog.blogspot.com/ It's probably worthy of its own thread....

Last edited by surreal; 11-05-13 at 08:48 PM. Reason: revision!
surreal is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 11:29 PM
  #5  
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Posts: 12,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I'm going to the grocery store, I can stop and admire the life in Grassy Flat Creek on my way home.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 11:41 PM
  #6  
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Posts: 12,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by surreal View Post
I also bought this bumper sticker; I'm trying to decide where to put it.


Speaking of which, have y'all seen this blog? http://sparetheroadblog.blogspot.com/ It's probably worthy of its own thread....
That's a good one.

You should buy an East German Trabant to put the bumper sticker on.

__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 12:06 AM
  #7  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,677

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
That's a good one.

You should buy an East German Trabant to put the bumper sticker on.
Here is a better use of a Trabbie:
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 12:22 AM
  #8  
bragi
bragi
 
bragi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: seattle, WA
Posts: 2,911

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue_Bulldog View Post
There's a bunch of threads about stuff that annoys us...

I thought I'd make a list of some of the stuff that's awesome about our car free lives. As always, feel free to add.

1. When people complain about gas prices, you get to answer with "Really? I hadn't noticed that."
2. Doctor tells you you've lost weight, BP and BMI are way down, and what kind of diet are you on to be in this good of shape... the look on his face when you admit to having a diet based around donuts and tacos.
3. **orders beer** "May I see your ID please?" "Sure" **server sees how old you actually are** "Wow!! Someone's doing something right!!"
4. Preferred VIP status at the LBS
5. When the "This is your speed" thingie the police set up clocks you from the bike lane, and you realize it's a school zone and if you were a car, you'd totally be getting pulled over.
6. That one street that has the absolutely perfect descent that on the perfect day is like flying
7. Getting back from running errands and realizing "Holy crap, I did 40mi today"
8. Stopping at a stoplight next to a car full of environmental slogans, they look over, realize they're pumping carbon emissions out -- and you aren't. Priceless look.
9. Turns
10. Putting valve cap lights on your wheels and pretending you're Tron
-You can eat/drink pretty much whatever you want without worrying too much;
-Parking is very, very easy;
-Running errands and going to work are actually kind of fun.
bragi is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 01:31 AM
  #9  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,219
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like that I know secrets about my city--things you can't find out if you're whizzing by in a car.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 02:19 AM
  #10  
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,749
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
I like that I know secrets about my city--things you can't find out if you're whizzing by in a car.
I built and ran whole historic tours by bicycles because of this. There is a LOT of fun and, dare I say it, education, in exploring a city. There are still places and things I haven't seen in a city and state that I grew up in.
Rowan is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 02:24 AM
  #11  
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,749
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal View Post
I've always thought that environmentalism-themed bumper stickers on cars were analogous to putting, like, pacifist bumper stickers on a Sherman tank.... I will say that I once saw a bumper sticker that read "two less rollerskates", and thought it was funny.

I also bought this bumper sticker; I'm trying to decide where to put it.


Speaking of which, have y'all seen this blog? http://sparetheroadblog.blogspot.com/ It's probably worthy of its own thread....
Go to the other thread and read NIMBY. There are a lot of self-proclaimed environmentalists whose only action is clicking the donate button on their computer. I know a woman -- an ex-girlfriend -- who was adamant that she was environmentally aware because her single contribution was to buy a share in a small property which had some remnant forest on it. As to the rest, nope, nada, none. Drove a car everywhere, remodelled her house without much thought to impacts.

It sort of contributes to my cynicism about devout environmentalists. When I was free of car ownership for over a decade, and then lived off the grid for around a year, I often thought I led a better environmental life than the ones who preached without practising.
Rowan is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 07:12 AM
  #12  
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Posts: 12,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Here is a better use of a Trabbie:
You are right. But it needs a bumper sticker and a bike rack with a Flying Pigeon.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 11-06-13 at 07:18 AM.
Artkansas is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 07:52 AM
  #13  
surreal
Senior Member
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking that sticker belongs on a bicycle; if I had anything made in the Soviet Bloc, I'd put it on that. As it stands now, I may put it on my Cycletruck, if/when I ever get that built...
surreal is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 08:17 AM
  #14  
poormanbiking
Human most of the time
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First to say, I'm not LCF yet! But for me riding is easier then driving in downtown Toledo, one way streets are bothersome. Getting to enjoy the waterfront is a few minutes ride from house without having to park and walk. At work I get the best parking out of over 1000 people. Getting to the LCF lifestyle will save money on gas and auto insurance.

Last edited by poormanbiking; 11-06-13 at 08:20 AM.
poormanbiking is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 09:12 AM
  #15  
Blue_Bulldog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Blue_Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 185

Bikes: GTR 3 Series, Pure Fix India, Mongoose Ledge 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi View Post
-You can eat/drink pretty much whatever you want without worrying too much;
-Parking is very, very easy;
-Running errands and going to work are actually kind of fun.
And the funny thing about that? Is that as active as we are, our metabolism is CRAZY high and we can pack the food away!! The other day my buddy and my roommate went out for Mongolian BBQ, and it was all you can.... I put a HURT on that place. Made them sorry they ever went unlimited. My roommate (girl) looks at me with this pure hatred and disgust that I just nailed the Mongolian BBQ like 5 times, and I remain south of 150lbs on the regular and actually lost​ weight at the Dr's. You could cut diamonds with the look she gave me.
Blue_Bulldog is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 09:14 AM
  #16  
Blue_Bulldog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Blue_Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 185

Bikes: GTR 3 Series, Pure Fix India, Mongoose Ledge 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treal512 View Post
Cool thread.

1) Looking at cagers in their cars as you pass them because they're stuck in traffic and you're riding freely, head to the horizon.
2) When people talk about gas prices, you ask them what gas is going for now days because you genuinely have no idea.
3) Pulling up next to cars at stop lights, especially during nice days when it should be a crime to not be outside.
4) Pulling up next to cars at stop lights when they just zoomed past you to make a point.

That's all I have right now.
Legit one of my favorite things about LCF. I love nothing more than stopping next to the car that just honked and threw a tantrum over having to pause for 3 sec. I always look over and ask "How'd that work out for you?"
Blue_Bulldog is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 09:30 AM
  #17  
surreal
Senior Member
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kinda like how non-riders think of ppl who ride everywhere as being superhuman. It'd be cooler if I could claim super-powers as a benefit, but the illusion of super-powers is pretty good, too.
surreal is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 02:40 PM
  #18  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,677

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
You are right. But it needs a bumper sticker and a bike rack with a Flying Pigeon.
Here is an updated version of an eco friendly bike-car combo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SmartCarwithBike.jpg (33.2 KB, 14 views)
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 03:35 PM
  #19  
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 2,434

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi View Post
-You can eat/drink pretty much whatever you want without worrying too much;
-Parking is very, very easy;
-Running errands and going to work are actually kind of fun.
Not with my metabolism.
I gained 50 lbs since going car-free. Living in an urban area means my trips are short, and the wonderful bars and restaurants are nearby.
dcrowell is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 03:35 PM
  #20  
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"
 
chewybrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: East Florida
Posts: 1,651

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Here is a better use of a Trabbie:
Reminded me of...

__________________
Campione Del Mondo Immaginario
chewybrian is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 07:05 PM
  #21  
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Here is an updated version of an eco friendly bike-car combo.
That combo would be a lot more eco-friendly if the bike was towing the car.
gerv is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Keith777
Fitting Your Bike
0
09-18-17 12:04 PM
Chr0m0ly
Folding Bikes
20
09-06-17 04:10 AM
Raceof
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
6
05-13-15 07:15 PM
CrossChain
Fifty Plus (50+)
9
12-26-07 08:09 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.