Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know where Titus frames are manufactured?

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Does anyone know where Titus frames are manufactured?

Reply

Old 04-03-10, 11:11 PM
  #1  
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Does anyone know where Titus frames are manufactured?

Hi

Does anyone know where Titus frames are manufactured?
xfimpg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 09:42 AM
  #2  
jnvw
Senior Member
 
jnvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know they are located in Tempe Az. Check out their site: http://www.titusti.com/2010/
jnvw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 10:50 AM
  #3  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,483

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Titus frames are made by the Kinesis factory in Taiwan the last I knew.

For the curious, here's a partial "who makes whose frame" list I posted a while back:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=598184
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 02:24 PM
  #4  
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
Titus frames are made by the Kinesis factory in Taiwan the last I knew.

For the curious, here's a partial "who makes whose frame" list I posted a while back:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=598184
Just super, thanks!
xfimpg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 10:23 PM
  #5  
jnvw
Senior Member
 
jnvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
Titus frames are made by the Kinesis factory in Taiwan the last I knew.

For the curious, here's a partial "who makes whose frame" list I posted a while back:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=598184

Hmmmmmmmm, you may want to do a bit more research before you suggest that Titus are manufactured in Taiwan.
jnvw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 10:57 PM
  #6  
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Posts: 19,607

Bikes: 2008 Trek Portland, 1989 Nishiki Altron

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jnvw View Post
Hmmmmmmmm, you may want to do a bit more research before you suggest that Titus are manufactured in Taiwan.
The carbon frames and the aluminum el guapo are made in Taiwan.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...s-cycles-22321
__________________
Signature
Dannihilator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 06:36 AM
  #7  
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Dannihilator View Post
The carbon frames and the aluminum el guapo are made in Taiwan.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...s-cycles-22321
Great link, thanks.

I would also assume the Titus Motolite is made in Taiwan as well.
xfimpg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 10:49 AM
  #8  
Rutnick
Senior Member
 
Rutnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...us-cycles_6937

it seems the aluminum frames and still made domestic while the carbon frames are outsourced.
Rutnick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 11:05 AM
  #9  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,483

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote straight from Jeff Titone, July 2008, on MTBR:

"We work with many different manufacturing partners to produce our frames. Here's the breakdown of where our frames are made.

All of our Titanium and Ti/Carbon frames are made in our factory in Tempe.

We began manufacturing the 2007 Racer X 29'ers in Portland by Sapa ('07 wa the first production year for the Racer X 29). For 2008 we moved production of the Motolite and Racer X there as well and continued to have Sapa build the 29'er.

Our complete bikes, the ML1 and RX1 are made by Kinesis in Taiwan. Kinesis also manufactures the El Guapo frame.

The Racer X carbon is also made in Taiwan."


Source: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=430069
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 08:20 AM
  #10  
Rutnick
Senior Member
 
Rutnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
Quote straight from Jeff Titone, July 2008, on MTBR:

"We work with many different manufacturing partners to produce our frames. Here's the breakdown of where our frames are made.

All of our Titanium and Ti/Carbon frames are made in our factory in Tempe.

We began manufacturing the 2007 Racer X 29'ers in Portland by Sapa ('07 wa the first production year for the Racer X 29). For 2008 we moved production of the Motolite and Racer X there as well and continued to have Sapa build the 29'er.

Our complete bikes, the ML1 and RX1 are made by Kinesis in Taiwan. Kinesis also manufactures the El Guapo frame.

The Racer X carbon is also made in Taiwan."


Source: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=430069
Got to the Titus website, click on their aluminum frame models (2010) and it clearly states "made in the USA" not designed "made".

It seems the 2008 article is wrong.
Rutnick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 10:24 AM
  #11  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,483

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Rutnick View Post
It seems the 2008 article is wrong.
I'll bet Mr. Titone was right at the time Oh, for the record, the (aluminum) El Guapo appears to still be made overseas.



But, more importantly, WHO CARES????!!!! If you like a frame, it holds together, it does what you want it to and is capable of more - - that's what matters.
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 11:51 AM
  #12  
Bone Machine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: T.O.
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
Hi

Does anyone know where Titus frames are manufactured?

The people who make them do.
Bone Machine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 01:54 PM
  #13  
Rutnick
Senior Member
 
Rutnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
I'll bet Mr. Titone was right at the time Oh, for the record, the (aluminum) El Guapo appears to still be made overseas.



But, more importantly, WHO CARES????!!!! If you like a frame, it holds together, it does what you want it to and is capable of more - - that's what matters.
Apparently, the OP cared. I still like seeing that american flag on my frames. Not all of them have it but I like it when it does. I'm looking at a Titus or a small domestic frame builder for my next MTB frame and heaven forbid the media misquoted him. I've had several interviews with the media and they always misquote something. US made is still nice when available and maybe that's what the OP was wanting.
Rutnick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 03:50 PM
  #14  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,483

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
^^ You either need some remedial reading comprehension or you need to get out from under the rock more. The interview was correct - - as corroborated by my linked post in the MTBR forum placed there by Jeff Titone that stated the same thing. Lazy journalists misquote; but people rarely misquote themselves (unless it's after the fact ).

As far as where it's made; yeah, it's nice to have a few more jobs for skilled tradespeople. But even companies who outsource the actual tubing-drawing and frame-welding are still employing a lot of people here to get the product out the door. So I myself am not going to obsess as to whther or not my 303R has a "Handmade in Colorado" sticker on it. There are still a lot of fine people right here who are making a living so that I can ride one.
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service