Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New 105 Groupset

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New 105 Groupset

Old 04-03-18, 02:57 PM
  #1  
Racing Dan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Racing Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 93 Posts
New updated 105 Groupset

Enjoy :-)


Last edited by Racing Dan; 04-03-18 at 03:11 PM.
Racing Dan is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 03:36 PM
  #2  
Dave Mayer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,030
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 125 Times in 84 Posts
Meh. Am I ever going to use wheels with thru-axles? Nope.

As far as the ergonomics, I would be more excited if Shimano levers were more like Campagnolo. With Shimano STI, the same lever controls the upshifting and braking? What is it with that?

Also, they should move the shifter cables back from under the bar tape to the outside like the old levers. Less sharp cable bends and cable friction and fussy setup.

Finally, the crankarms are butt-ugly. I guess I can forgive, as Shimano crankarms have the best fixing and BB interface in the business. I use Shimano cranksets and chains on my otherwise Campagnolo drivetrains.
Dave Mayer is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 03:42 PM
  #3  
Nachoman
well hello there
 
Nachoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Point Loma, CA
Posts: 15,208

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 110 Posts
I didn't hear them mention any weights. But the 5800 105 was only about a pound more than Di2. And they've probably now improved on that.
I still have 9 speed 105 on one of my backup bikes, and 10 speed 105 on another, and they both function flawlessly. 105 is great value.
__________________
.
.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Nachoman is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 04:53 PM
  #4  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,033

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16267 Post(s)
Liked 4,995 Times in 2,616 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer View Post
Also, they should move the shifter cables back from under the bar tape to the outside like the old levers. Less sharp cable bends and cable friction and fussy setup.
Is x700 the last generation that you used? I haven't heard these complaints since then.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 05:31 PM
  #5  
mohamilton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I think it actually looks kinda cool, although I wish there was more of a aesthetic design difference so they don't all look like DA with different badges.
mohamilton is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 06:15 PM
  #6  
Wildrat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried the new Ultegra front derailleur when I built my latest bike. It looks and functioned okay, but the cable tightening screw broke off with part of the casting when loosening the cable. It is made from cast aluminum. I used my torque wrench when tightening the cable, an allen key when loosening. Luckily I had a 105 derailleur laying about.
Maybe the one I got had a defect in the casting. I don't know, but I did get my money back upon return of the part.
Wildrat is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 06:19 PM
  #7  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 12,405

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5149 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,428 Posts
Horrific crank.

Im all for this though. Hopefully push rim brake tech to an even cheaper pricepoint.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 06:21 PM
  #8  
bleui
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer View Post
... With Shimano STI, the same lever controls the upshifting and braking? What is it with that?

...
had a near-accident because of that stupid design, swear to never touch any shimano groupset ever again
bleui is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 06:30 PM
  #9  
cb400bill
High Derolic Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 19,124

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 Carbon, Cannondale Synapse Alloy, Trek 710

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,569 Posts
Originally Posted by bleui View Post
had a near-accident because of that stupid design, swear to never touch any shimano groupset ever again
Over the years I've had three different Shimano STI groupsets including my current 5800 11 speed. I've not had any issues with the design. Can you tell me what happened with your near-accident?
cb400bill is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 06:34 PM
  #10  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,656
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
Over the years I've had three different Shimano STI groupsets including my current 5800 11 speed. I've not had any issues with the design. Can you tell me what happened with your near-accident?
I'm guessing braking hard from a big gear like 53x12 and forgetting to downshift beforehand, never been an issue for me though
redlude97 is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 06:54 PM
  #11  
MidTNBrad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 335

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
Great. I just finished putting 5800 on my old bike. Now I'm going to have to scrap the whole group and upgrade.
MidTNBrad is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 08:14 PM
  #12  
Racing Dan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Racing Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 93 Posts
Some more blurb here:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...-gear-ran.html

No weights though, but Im guessing its the same as before. R8000 is about an ounce more than 6800, AFAIK.

I think it looks like a solid update. Especially the hydro STI-levers. I like that it does 34t too, but I wish they would do a 105 sub compact crank. 50/11 is wasted on many anyway. Oh well, you cant get it all :-)
Racing Dan is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 08:34 PM
  #13  
bigsky109
Member
 
bigsky109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Montana
Posts: 45

Bikes: Kestrel Talon w/carbon fiber 88mm wheelset, Trek 820MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 105 set on my Kestrel and love it. Shifts are quick and smooth. Adjustments are easy.
bigsky109 is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 08:36 PM
  #14  
bleui
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
Over the years I've had three different Shimano STI groupsets including my current 5800 11 speed. I've not had any issues with the design. Can you tell me what happened with your near-accident?
I have small hands and short fingers, I could only place the tip of my index and middle fingers on the side-front of the brake lever
a car was suddenly swerving, I pulled the lever but instead it slipped and moved inward (downshift)

Last edited by bleui; 04-03-18 at 10:56 PM.
bleui is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 08:37 PM
  #15  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,783

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6836 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 440 Posts
This got my attention...

CS-GH700-11 11-34T cassette also fits 10-speed freehub body
Those who have been holding back because of the need to upgrade wheels should be interested in this.


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 09:29 PM
  #16  
Mounttesa
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
This got my attention...



Those who have been holding back because of the need to upgrade wheels should be interested in this.


-Tim-
It was the only reason I went to 10 instead of 11 over this winter.

Oh well. I figure 2 years is long enough to amortize my 10 speed STI, then it's off to 11 speed hydro I go.
Mounttesa is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 10:28 PM
  #17  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 12,405

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5149 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,428 Posts
Originally Posted by bleui View Post
had a near-accident because of that stupid design, swear to never touch any shimano groupset ever again
How did you almost have an accident from a shift lever also being the brake lever?
I cant think of a time where i was having shift and brake with the same lever at the same time.

I have a set of Microshift levers on an old roadbike and they have a dedicated up shift paddle, down shift paddle, and brake lever. I like the set up a lot, but not because it is somehow safer. I also havent tried shifting while braking with those shifters either.

What do you use instead of Shimano...Campy?...i guess SRAM is an option, of course. I used SRAM once to ride a bike around the block that id worked on for a buddy. Interesting shifting style. Easy to adjust to. Didnt seem good or bad, really.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 04-03-18 at 10:39 PM.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 10:54 PM
  #18  
bleui
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
How did you almost have an accident from a shift lever also being the brake lever?
I cant think of a time where i was having shift and brake with the same lever at the same time.

I have a set of Microshift levers on an old roadbike and they have a dedicated up shift paddle, down shift paddle, and brake lever. I like the set up a lot, but not because it is somehow safer. I also havent tried shifting while braking with those shifters either.

What do you use instead of Shimano...Campy?...i guess SRAM is an option, of course. I used SRAM once to ride a bike around the block that id worked on for a buddy. Interesting shifting style. Easy to adjust to. Didnt seem good or bad, really.
see post #14
bleui is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 11:01 PM
  #19  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,656
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
This got my attention...



Those who have been holding back because of the need to upgrade wheels should be interested in this.


-Tim-
There was already an ultegra version of this cassette
redlude97 is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 11:10 PM
  #20  
bleui
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
There was already an ultegra version of this cassette
does the ultegra version also need to use 11-34 ratio?
bleui is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 11:17 PM
  #21  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,656
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by bleui View Post
does the ultegra version also need to use 11-34 ratio?
Yes, this cassette works because it offsets the 34t back behind the freehub body. Anything smaller won't clear the wheel spokes. All of shimano 11 speed mountain cassettes will work on a 10 speed hub because of this design
redlude97 is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 11:26 PM
  #22  
bleui
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
Yes, this cassette works because it offsets the 34t back behind the freehub body. Anything smaller won't clear the wheel spokes. All of shimano 11 speed mountain cassettes will work on a 10 speed hub because of this design
wow I never knew this, thanks for the info
I happen to use a wolftooth roadlink, so the short RD would definitely accept 34t, then I just need to upgrade the right shifter
bleui is offline  
Old 04-04-18, 01:57 AM
  #23  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,862
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4655 Post(s)
Liked 1,776 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by bleui View Post
see post #14


Post #14 doesn't make any sense, but if you say so...
noodle soup is offline  
Old 04-04-18, 02:05 AM
  #24  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,862
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4655 Post(s)
Liked 1,776 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Horrific crank.

Im all for this though. Hopefully push rim brake tech to an even cheaper pricepoint.
The crank looks better than 8000 or 9100. I'm glad they finally dumped that hideous hydro brake lever.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 04-04-18, 02:27 AM
  #25  
Racing Dan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Racing Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
There was already an ultegra version of this cassette
Yes. Its nice its now in 105 too. Its likely much cheaper. There is a 11-30 as well.
Racing Dan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.