Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Insoles and shims

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Insoles and shims

Old 05-09-18, 09:23 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Posts: 5,671

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts
Insoles and shims

I haven't been riding much lately and Im doing short rides now, about 20 or 25 miles. When I get back Im having knee pain. Mostly my left knee, but sometimes both. I have had several fits, but I can say none of them fixed my issues. I'm using giro insoles now and I have tried the Specialized, but Im still having the same problem. I think the Giro insoles are more comfortable, but Im thinking about getting some that are heat molded.

I did take all the shims out of the shoes and I was ok for about a month. but the pain came back the last few weeks. I had two of the yellow wedges under my cleats yesterday, but today I have pain in my left knee again, none in the right. I took one wedge out of the left shoe and left the one in. I'll see how that works tomorrow. So Ill have two wedges under my right shoe where I didn't have any pain and the single wedge in the left, but Im still thinking about the molded insoles.

Thanks for any replies.
__________________
George
George is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 09:30 AM
  #2  
Custom User Title
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Posts: 11,239

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Could just need some adjustment of cleat position depending on where the knee pain is.
RPK79 is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 09:55 AM
  #3  
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 19,600

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,972 Times in 1,408 Posts
Concentrate on getting fit more than bike fit. A very big part of getting fit is stretching, improving flexibility. Try these stretches for your knees, every day, maybe 3 X day to start with. Don't overstretch, just to the point of minor discomfort.

The other thing is where is your knee pain exactly? Knee pain can be anything and from any cause. My guess is that is has nothing to do with your feet. Seldom does. Foot pain has more to do with feet. Let us know exactly where it hurts. One can google up drawings of knee structure with the various bits labeled.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 10:10 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Posts: 5,671

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts
Sharp pain in the kneecap. Almost gone, but still there. I haven't been riding as much as I would like to.
Thanks for reply.
__________________
George
George is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 12:25 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 10,879
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you have discussed your problems with your fitter and they couldn't find or fix the problem, I would look for a better fitter. While eliminating pain is of course a worthy goal, a good fitter should have a systematic way of accomplishing that, eg by observing or measuring the angles and wobbles in your joints as you ride
johnny99 is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 12:53 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Posts: 5,671

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts
Thanks for the reply, that’s what my wife is saying to.
__________________
George
George is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 01:06 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,550

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I haven't been riding much lately and Im doing short rides now, about 20 or 25 miles. When I get back Im having knee pain. Mostly my left knee, but sometimes both. I have had several fits, but I can say none of them fixed my issues. I'm using giro insoles now and I have tried the Specialized, but Im still having the same problem. I think the Giro insoles are more comfortable, but Im thinking about getting some that are heat molded.

I did take all the shims out of the shoes and I was ok for about a month. but the pain came back the last few weeks. I had two of the yellow wedges under my cleats yesterday, but today I have pain in my left knee again, none in the right. I took one wedge out of the left shoe and left the one in. I'll see how that works tomorrow. So Ill have two wedges under my right shoe where I didn't have any pain and the single wedge in the left, but Im still thinking about the molded insoles.

Thanks for any replies.
How tall are you and how long are your cranks?
tagaproject6 is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 01:53 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Posts: 5,671

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
How tall are you and how long are your cranks?
62 175 cranks
__________________
George
George is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 02:11 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,550

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by George


6’2” 175 cranks
You may want to look at shorter cranks, 172.5mm or 170mm. When all else fails with shims and shoe adjustments and cleat/float adjustment cranks are likely the culprit. I've had a few cyclists using 172.5 cranks complaining of knee pain, sometimes on one side only, sometimes both, we changed crank length and it solved the knee pain issue. Taller folks, do not necessarily need longer crank arms. And no, lowering your saddle will not have the same effect.

Are you a spinner or a masher?
tagaproject6 is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 02:36 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Posts: 5,671

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
You may want to look at shorter cranks, 172.5mm or 170mm. When all else fails with shims and shoe adjustments and cleat/float adjustment cranks are likely the culprit. I've had a few cyclists using 172.5 cranks complaining of knee pain, sometimes on one side only, sometimes both, we changed crank length and it solved the knee pain issue. Taller folks, do not necessarily need longer crank arms. And no, lowering your saddle will not have the same effect.

Are you a spinner or a masher?
For the most part, I spin.

I just took the wedges out of the shoes and with any luck,Ill give that a try tomorrow.
Thanks again.
__________________
George
George is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 04:29 PM
  #11  
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 19,600

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,972 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Sharp pain in the kneecap. Almost gone, but still there. I haven't been riding as much as I would like to.
Thanks for reply.
Where "in the kneecap"? Directly behind the center, above, below, more to one side than the other, in which case inside or outside?
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 04:51 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Posts: 5,671

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Where "in the kneecap"? Directly behind the center, above, below, more to one side than the other, in which case inside or outside?

Feels like the center
__________________
George
George is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 05:19 PM
  #13  
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 19,600

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,972 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Feels like the center
Mark your current saddle height with electrical tape on the seatpost. Raise your saddle. Try 5mm to start, if you can handle that, keep raising it in small increments until you feel like your leg is getting too stretched out. Chondromalacia patella, mild case. Your fitter sucks.

Experiment with relatively short, frequent rides. I used my rollers when I had it.

When it doesn't hurt any more, lower the saddle back down, but not as low as you have it now.

You could also start taking glucosamine sulfate and MSM. It's cheap if you look around online. I've been taking it daily for ~30 years, no ill effects . . .
__________________
Results matter

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 05-09-18 at 05:25 PM.
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 06:26 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Posts: 5,671

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Mark your current saddle height with electrical tape on the seatpost. Raise your saddle. Try 5mm to start, if you can handle that, keep raising it in small increments until you feel like your leg is getting too stretched out. Chondromalacia patella, mild case. Your fitter sucks.

Experiment with relatively short, frequent rides. I used my rollers when I had it.

When it doesn't hurt any more, lower the saddle back down, but not as low as you have it now.

You could also start taking glucosamine sulfate and MSM. It's cheap if you look around online. I've been taking it daily for ~30 years, no ill effects . . .
Ill try that and yes I told a lot of people about that fitter and how bad she is. Lol
__________________
George
George is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 08:10 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
deex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: West Palm Beach FL
Posts: 176

Bikes: Giant TCR SL 1, Niner Air 9, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What type of cleats do you have? I feel float also affects knee pain.
deex is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 09:08 PM
  #16  
Farmer tan
 
f4rrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 7,986

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Mark your current saddle height with electrical tape on the seatpost. Raise your saddle. Try 5mm to start, if you can handle that, keep raising it in small increments until you feel like your leg is getting too stretched out. Chondromalacia patella, mild case. Your fitter sucks.

Experiment with relatively short, frequent rides. I used my rollers when I had it.

When it doesn't hurt any more, lower the saddle back down, but not as low as you have it now.

You could also start taking glucosamine sulfate and MSM. It's cheap if you look around online. I've been taking it daily for ~30 years, no ill effects . . .
Yes, sounds like chondromalacia. Many cyclists get it.

I found that Penetrex cream helped mine. I also kept experimenting with shoes, wedges under the cleats, insoles, and cleat position/float. Don't give up.

I ended up with different color cleats on each foot.
One shoe half size larger than the other. One custom insole.
f4rrest is offline  
Old 05-09-18, 10:19 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
MagicHour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
This and further a good fitter might also take a look at things like your gait/foot pronation, hip and general flexibility and core strength; knee pain could be any combo of a number of things.
Originally Posted by johnny99
A good fitter should have a systematic way of accomplishing that, eg by observing or measuring the angles and wobbles in your joints as you ride
MagicHour is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Alias530
Fitting Your Bike
15
10-14-14 07:07 AM
vega2614
Road Cycling
7
08-24-12 10:13 AM
JAMES_AMTRAK
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
6
06-16-11 12:51 PM
LJ325
Training & Nutrition
13
09-26-10 08:38 PM
IndyTim
Training & Nutrition
7
09-11-10 09:00 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.