Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not

Old 02-01-20, 12:02 PM
  #951  
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Much much better now. What would really make it sharp is a polished aluminum component group.
You guys are killing me! 😂
jadocs is offline  
Likes For jadocs:
Old 02-01-20, 12:20 PM
  #952  
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Friction shift conversion is next lol

Im just kidding. 😆
jadocs is offline  
Old 02-02-20, 01:47 PM
  #953  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Gets a Hot AF from me.

To turn up the temp even more: Polished group to match the stem and post. I say the wheels look great, they make it look mean and fit with modern parts and they make the frame pop more than polished aluminum ones would. Oil slick bar end plugs, save the corks for a "Brooks, leather tape and twine" type rando or city bike build.
tashi is offline  
Likes For tashi:
Old 02-02-20, 02:35 PM
  #954  
Senior Member
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 9,553

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Sadly Thomson doesn’t make their old Elite stems anymore.
Really? I have a pretty mint 120mm 17 degree one in black...

Start the bidding!
Kimmo is offline  
Old 02-02-20, 03:05 PM
  #955  
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,922
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Really? I have a pretty mint 120mm 17 degree one in black...

Start the bidding!
I have Thomson Elite -15 degree 110mm stem that works just fine, and mine is silver
noodle soup is offline  
Old 02-03-20, 07:47 AM
  #956  
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by tashi
Gets a Hot AF from me.

To turn up the temp even more: Polished group to match the stem and post. I say the wheels look great, they make it look mean and fit with modern parts and they make the frame pop more than polished aluminum ones would. Oil slick bar end plugs, save the corks for a "Brooks, leather tape and twine" type rando or city bike build.
Thanks tashi,

Oil slick bar ends...I'll have to look those up. I think you are right, that would look good. I have also been looking at the oil slick cages (the minimalist one from supercaz)...pricey though.
jadocs is offline  
Old 02-04-20, 06:30 AM
  #957  
NYC
 
nycphotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I actually prefer the black seat post on the Colnago.
nycphotography is offline  
Old 02-04-20, 08:21 AM
  #958  
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
I actually prefer the black seat post on the Colnago.
I'm going back and forth as well.
jadocs is offline  
Old 02-04-20, 02:36 PM
  #959  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
My now 2nd best bike and race bike. Excuse lack of pedals.
Scott foil RC with 303 FC.


My winter steed with guards fitted. Spend most of the year on this and yes inknow guards suck but they keep me dry and clean and are free extra training
Winny42 is offline  
Old 02-04-20, 04:07 PM
  #960  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Hmm....you might be right. Had to pay for this one myself. Bummer.
What's with the composition on many of these recent photos? Can't be bothered to rotate your phone? L ots of sky and lots of foreground, not so much bike? This one even clips the front wheel! That's just lazy.
kamesennin is offline  
Old 02-05-20, 05:01 AM
  #961  
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 8,554

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 762 Posts
So sorry to disappoint you.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 02-05-20, 07:31 AM
  #962  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by asindc
My 2002 LeMond Alpe d'Huez. Replaced everything except seat post.
Hey, I've got a 2002 Lemond Alpe D'Huez too, I bought it new and I don't plan on selling it since its got such a past.

I bought it in high school at Race Pace Bicycles in Ellicott City, MD with some summer lifeguarding money. I rode it a bunch, upgraded it to Dura Ace 7700 with more lifeguarding money, then raced it my freshman year in college. I bought a team deal Cannondale as a race bike and the Lemond went to college commuter status. I crashed my race bike and lunched a derailleur, so i stole the RD off of the Lemond and it sat because I didn't have the cash to replace it. It sat for a couple years disassembled until my brother got transferred to Belgium and he wanted to commute with it. I built it up with some spare parts, and sent it off to Europe. When he was transferred back, the carbon fork got all scraped up and he was going to put the whole bike out on the curb for trash pickup so I drove to South Carolina to rescue it. I knew I wanted to get the junk components off of it that it had while on Belgian commuter duty, so I put on a SRAM force group I had laying around. I also had a SRAM Red Exogram crank laying around, but the crank wouldn't fit on the BSA BB shell, so I swapped the rings onto a set of Dura Ace 7800 cranks that I knew would work. I bought a Columbus Minimal 1" carbon fork also, and I think it dropped a pound and a half.

Overall, its a great bike. Not the stiffest, I can make the tire rub with a jerky enough sprint. Not the lightest, she's probably sitting around 19 pounds with the powertap hub on there. Not even the best handler with the slightly flexy front end, but the ride is fantastic.

So with that out of the way, hot or not? If nothing else she's got a great personality.
Phatman is offline  
Old 02-05-20, 08:48 AM
  #963  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,563
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,533 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
I actually prefer the black seat post on the Colnago.
I think what we are learning with the Colnago as it goes through the changes is that it is hard to mix the black and shiny silver parts. The exception is the wheelsets. Black rims with machined brake tracks always look good. Personally, I don't care for black components. Give me shiny silver every time. The black components just look cheap. There, I said it. Look at those Dura Ace cranks that have been on bikes on the last 3 or 4 pages. They look cheap and plasticy.(I guess they are plasticy) Not much different than this in looks. Just my opinion.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Genesis-7...hite/841500714
seypat is offline  
Old 02-05-20, 08:58 AM
  #964  
LAJ
So it is
Thread Starter
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,417

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11454 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,804 Posts
Originally Posted by Winny42
My now 2nd best bike and race bike. Excuse lack of pedals.
Scott foil RC with 303 FC.


My winter steed with guards fitted. Spend most of the year on this and yes inknow guards suck but they keep me dry and clean and are free extra training
I like them both, but I can't stop looking at the fender lines on the Cannondale. The rear is close, but the front...
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-05-20, 08:59 AM
  #965  
LAJ
So it is
Thread Starter
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,417

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11454 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,804 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
Hey, I've got a 2002 Lemond Alpe D'Huez too, I bought it new and I don't plan on selling it since its got such a past.

I bought it in high school at Race Pace Bicycles in Ellicott City, MD with some summer lifeguarding money. I rode it a bunch, upgraded it to Dura Ace 7700 with more lifeguarding money, then raced it my freshman year in college. I bought a team deal Cannondale as a race bike and the Lemond went to college commuter status. I crashed my race bike and lunched a derailleur, so i stole the RD off of the Lemond and it sat because I didn't have the cash to replace it. It sat for a couple years disassembled until my brother got transferred to Belgium and he wanted to commute with it. I built it up with some spare parts, and sent it off to Europe. When he was transferred back, the carbon fork got all scraped up and he was going to put the whole bike out on the curb for trash pickup so I drove to South Carolina to rescue it. I knew I wanted to get the junk components off of it that it had while on Belgian commuter duty, so I put on a SRAM force group I had laying around. I also had a SRAM Red Exogram crank laying around, but the crank wouldn't fit on the BSA BB shell, so I swapped the rings onto a set of Dura Ace 7800 cranks that I knew would work. I bought a Columbus Minimal 1" carbon fork also, and I think it dropped a pound and a half.

Overall, its a great bike. Not the stiffest, I can make the tire rub with a jerky enough sprint. Not the lightest, she's probably sitting around 19 pounds with the powertap hub on there. Not even the best handler with the slightly flexy front end, but the ride is fantastic.

So with that out of the way, hot or not? If nothing else she's got a great personality.
It's a survivor. Good story, but that doesn't necessarily make it hot.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-05-20, 01:19 PM
  #966  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I like them both, but I can't stop looking at the fender lines on the Cannondale. The rear is close, but the front...
yes unfortunately the front guard is a ambit finicky trying to pull the front flap down, not much incan do with it with the range of movement. Only positive is that I get a free 2mph when intake it off in spring 😂
Winny42 is offline  
Old 02-06-20, 04:01 PM
  #967  
In the wind
 
mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 1,339

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Winny42

My winter steed with guards fitted. Spend most of the year on this and yes inknow guards suck but they keep me dry and clean and are free extra training
Never mind the fender line, Dura Ace on the rain bike is hot!
mercator is offline  
Old 02-06-20, 04:12 PM
  #968  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by mercator
Never mind the fender line, Dura Ace on the rain bike is hot!
Welllll, those'd be the homely RS505 levers, so not all DA. I mean, I have 505s on my gravel/foul weather bike and it works just fine, but yeah - homely.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-06-20, 09:58 PM
  #969  
LAJ
So it is
Thread Starter
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,417

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11454 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,804 Posts
Not bike related, but this thread related. These guys believe in staging.

LAJ is offline  
Old 02-07-20, 12:47 AM
  #970  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Welllll, those'd be the homely RS505 levers, so not all DA. I mean, I have 505s on my gravel/foul weather bike and it works just fine, but yeah - homely.
yup, 505 drifters, ultegra deraillieur and DA chainset. Right proper hedge podge but rides and shifts great. Nice and heavy for proper training too 😁
Winny42 is offline  
Old 02-07-20, 04:53 AM
  #971  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,563
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,533 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Not bike related, but this thread related. These guys believe in staging.

Another black/white/red mode of transportation. Ho hum. Let's see something different that might stand out from the rest of the pack.
seypat is offline  
Old 02-07-20, 08:56 AM
  #972  
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,922
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Welllll, those'd be the homely RS505 levers, so not all DA. I mean, I have 505s on my gravel/foul weather bike and it works just fine, but yeah - homely.
The RS505 levers are hideous. I can't figure out why those were ever produced.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 02-07-20, 09:08 AM
  #973  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
The RS505 levers are hideous. I can't figure out why those were ever produced.
Eh, they hit a price point in early road hydro days and they worked. Sale prices occasionally tempt me to replace mine with newer levers, but the aesthetic benefit just hasn't outweighed the combination of cost and effort. Not yet, at least.

Also, it's not like other, early road hydro levers were terribly pretty - friggin' SRAM looked like rhino horns.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 02-07-20, 09:12 AM
  #974  
LAJ
So it is
Thread Starter
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,417

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11454 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,804 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Another black/white/red mode of transportation. Ho hum. Let's see something different that might stand out from the rest of the pack.
True. At least they give enough **** about their mode of transportation to stage it properly. I'm not saying it will make it hot, but the care garners a few more points in that direction.
LAJ is offline  
Old 02-07-20, 09:25 AM
  #975  
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,922
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Eh, they hit a price point in early road hydro days and they worked.
It just seems like an aluminum lever on an Ultegra body(like current 105) would have lowered the cost enough.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Also, it's not like other, early road hydro levers were terribly pretty - friggin' SRAM looked like rhino horns.
Those were laughable.

Campagnolo hydraulic levers are pretty bad too.

noodle soup is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.