Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

"Luxury" upgrades

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

"Luxury" upgrades

Old 05-04-21, 07:17 PM
  #51  
surak
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
surak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,461

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 440 Times in 253 Posts
Lots of mentions of carbon bars. Honestly I've never considered them before. Is the main advantage they have over alloy that they dampen more road chatter, are lighter, can be shaped more aerodynamically for the same weight, look bling, or something else?

I have a set of alloy 38cm Zipps, about the cheapest with a shape I wanted that was predrilled for Di2, on my Roubaix with Future Shock. Probably wouldn't feel a noticeable difference going carbon compared to a less forgiving frame? I don't have any real aero or weight weenie bikes, and the Roubaix is my default choice for the longest days.
surak is offline  
Old 05-04-21, 07:58 PM
  #52  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,710
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3142 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
What if they incorporated indicators?
Huh? Turn signal indicators? I don't need those.
Koyote is online now  
Old 05-04-21, 08:24 PM
  #53  
Kimmo 
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 9,134

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Huh? Turn signal indicators? I don't need those.
I've thought a few times it'd be helpful. This is a thread about luxuries, not necessities.
Kimmo is offline  
Old 05-04-21, 08:27 PM
  #54  
Kimmo 
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 9,134

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by surak View Post
Lots of mentions of carbon bars. Honestly I've never considered them before. Is the main advantage they have over alloy that they dampen more road chatter, are lighter, can be shaped more aerodynamically for the same weight, look bling, or something else?

I have a set of alloy 38cm Zipps, about the cheapest with a shape I wanted that was predrilled for Di2, on my Roubaix with Future Shock. Probably wouldn't feel a noticeable difference going carbon compared to a less forgiving frame? I don't have any real aero or weight weenie bikes, and the Roubaix is my default choice for the longest days.
Aero carbon bars are certainly kinder on your hands. Ally bars can be pretty light, but I don't think there's such a thing as a light ally aero bar.
Kimmo is offline  
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 05-04-21, 08:41 PM
  #55  
ericcox
Trying to keep up
 
ericcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 2,077

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
I would call a rim that GP5K tires go on without ripping off the skin off your thumbs a luxury.

I happened about a guy Saturday that had a flat and not carrying a seat bag with a tube, co2 or pump, or tire levers. I grabbed a tube and co2 out of my wife's seat bag as I am running tubeless and he was running GP5K's. Snapped a tire lever and took both of us to get the damn tires over the rim. I like Conti tires, but do not want to deal with that on the road side.
I cut a sidewall on a Pirelli set up tubeless. Reinstalled the gp5000s I took off and remembered instantly why the new set on the shelf is Pirelli. Such a pain in the ass relative to my admittedly small sample of tubeless tires.
ericcox is offline  
Likes For ericcox:
Old 05-04-21, 08:46 PM
  #56  
shelbyfv 
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 8,397
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2267 Post(s)
Liked 2,215 Times in 1,201 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
I would call a rim that GP5K tires go on without ripping off the skin off your thumbs a luxury.

I happened about a guy Saturday that had a flat and not carrying a seat bag with a tube, co2 or pump, or tire levers. I grabbed a tube and co2 out of my wife's seat bag as I am running tubeless and he was running GP5K's. Snapped a tire lever and took both of us to get the damn tires over the rim. I like Conti tires, but do not want to deal with that on the road side.
He has a thread running in "Mechanics."
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 05-04-21, 09:01 PM
  #57  
guachi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 139 Posts
Basically my entire new bike that (fingers crossed) will arrive next month. I guess some of the things will actually make me faster but none of it is really useful. Old bike is a Domane SL5. New bike is a Domane SLR7.

Trek OCLV 500 frame ---> OCLV 700 frame
aluminum stem ---> carbon stem
4iiis single-sided power meter ---> Garmin dual-sided SPD
Bontrager Foray shoes ---> Shimano XC7 (in red because they match my bike)
stock paint job ---> custom paint job
stock boat anchor Affinity wheels ---> Aeolus RSL 51 wheels
Shimano 105 ---> Ultegra Di2
stock Arvada comp saddle w/ steel rails (actually pretty comfy) ---> Verse Pro w/ carbon rails

Current additions I REALLY love are the power meter, aero bars, and bike computer. These are things that would enhance any bike I own. And I'd take a cheap bike with these over an expensive bike without them any day of the week.
guachi is offline  
Likes For guachi:
Old 05-04-21, 09:52 PM
  #58  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,018

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek X-Caliber 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi View Post
Basically my entire new bike that (fingers crossed) will arrive next month. I guess some of the things will actually make me faster but none of it is really useful. Old bike is a Domane SL5. New bike is a Domane SLR7.

Trek OCLV 500 frame ---> OCLV 700 frame
aluminum stem ---> carbon stem
4iiis single-sided power meter ---> Garmin dual-sided SPD
Bontrager Foray shoes ---> Shimano XC7 (in red because they match my bike)
stock paint job ---> custom paint job
stock boat anchor Affinity wheels ---> Aeolus RSL 51 wheels
Shimano 105 ---> Ultegra Di2
stock Arvada comp saddle w/ steel rails (actually pretty comfy) ---> Verse Pro w/ carbon rails

Current additions I REALLY love are the power meter, aero bars, and bike computer. These are things that would enhance any bike I own. And I'd take a cheap bike with these over an expensive bike without them any day of the week.
Hope it arrives as well. I love my Domane SLR7 and I also have those XC7 shoes, but in black, and I use with my Time ATAX XC pedals, love them...Nice shoes. See you went big on the wheels...I stuck with the Pro3v for now....I might move up later though. I also have the verse saddle in 135mm, very comfy saddle for me, I put them on 2 other bikes.
__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.








jaxgtr is offline  
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-04-21, 10:03 PM
  #59  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 21,843
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14272 Post(s)
Liked 5,309 Times in 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
I've thought a few times it'd be helpful. This is a thread about luxuries, not necessities.
How would you tell them to blink? I think Garmin has a tail light that has turn signals / indicators, but you have to plan a route to use them.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 05-04-21, 10:08 PM
  #60  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,018

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek X-Caliber 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox View Post
I cut a sidewall on a Pirelli set up tubeless. Reinstalled the gp5000s I took off and remembered instantly why the new set on the shelf is Pirelli. Such a pain in the ass relative to my admittedly small sample of tubeless tires.
What rim are you running and how were the Pirelli's to install? I am running the Bontrager R3 in 32, but was looking at the Pirelli 28 or 30's when these tires where out. I like the R3's, but would like to try something different. I figured I would pick some up when I spot them on sale that way if something happens, I am prepared.
__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.








jaxgtr is offline  
Old 05-04-21, 10:40 PM
  #61  
jnesss
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
carbon cages, carbon mounts, carbon anything. aero everything. titanium hardware.
jnesss is offline  
Old 05-04-21, 11:22 PM
  #62  
Kimmo 
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 9,134

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
How would you tell them to blink?
...?
Kimmo is offline  
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 05-05-21, 05:15 AM
  #63  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,320

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16505 Post(s)
Liked 5,204 Times in 2,715 Posts
Originally Posted by surak View Post
Is the main advantage they have over alloy that they dampen more road chatter, are lighter, can be shaped more aerodynamically for the same weight, look bling...?
Yes.

I just prefer the overall feel, in general. It's hard to describe, but in addition to the above, there's the fact that they're less of a heat sink, too.

I had carbon bars on my Domane with front IsoSpeed; still preferred them to the stock alloy bars.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-05-21, 05:41 AM
  #64  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 50,897

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9620 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 1,021 Posts
Matchy carbon handlebar, stem, and seatpost. Like the FSA K-Force stuff on my roadie and CX bikes.

Luxurious.

__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 05-05-21, 06:14 AM
  #65  
ericcox
Trying to keep up
 
ericcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 2,077

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
What rim are you running and how were the Pirelli's to install? I am running the Bontrager R3 in 32, but was looking at the Pirelli 28 or 30's when these tires where out. I like the R3's, but would like to try something different. I figured I would pick some up when I spot them on sale that way if something happens, I am prepared.
I'm running 26mm PZeros Race TLR on FFWD RYOT 55 rims. They are hooked. Well, now a mullet with PZero on front and a GP5000 on the back. The GP5000s are a pain to mount. To mount the rear (which was had about 800 miles on it), I used a crank brothers lever together with a tire jack like tool whose name I forget. I had to use a CO2 charge to get the bead to set.

In contrast, the Pirellis were easy. I mounted the first one with a single standard park tool lever, and the second with thumbs. Got the bead to pop with a standard pump. The Pirellis hold air better, and generally feel more supple, though that's hard to measure.

I do think the GP5000s are probably more durable, based on the wear so far, but when my current ones wear out, I'm going back with Pirelli.

Excel was running a sale on a Pirelli 2 pack, but only had 26 and 28 in stock. I will say the 26s set up tubeless are very comfy - I did a century a few weeks ago on them. My cross bike with 33mm schwalbes running tubeless is more comfortable for sure, but for road use only, the Pirellis feel great.
ericcox is offline  
Likes For ericcox:
Old 05-05-21, 09:14 AM
  #66  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,018

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek X-Caliber 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox View Post
I'm running 26mm PZeros Race TLR on FFWD RYOT 55 rims. They are hooked. Well, now a mullet with PZero on front and a GP5000 on the back. The GP5000s are a pain to mount. To mount the rear (which was had about 800 miles on it), I used a crank brothers lever together with a tire jack like tool whose name I forget. I had to use a CO2 charge to get the bead to set.

In contrast, the Pirellis were easy. I mounted the first one with a single standard park tool lever, and the second with thumbs. Got the bead to pop with a standard pump. The Pirellis hold air better, and generally feel more supple, though that's hard to measure.

I do think the GP5000s are probably more durable, based on the wear so far, but when my current ones wear out, I'm going back with Pirelli.

Excel was running a sale on a Pirelli 2 pack, but only had 26 and 28 in stock. I will say the 26s set up tubeless are very comfy - I did a century a few weeks ago on them. My cross bike with 33mm schwalbes running tubeless is more comfortable for sure, but for road use only, the Pirellis feel great.
Thanks, good to know. I will be keeping my eyeballs peeled for the Pirelli's, even though I still have a good amount of life left on my Bontrager R3's, I don't want to get caught not having something on hand. I too have the crankbrother's lever and have only really had to use it once or twice a while ago. One good thing about using the R3's is that the tires are super easy to mount and remove on the Bontrager rims. But I would still like to have a backup plan as tires can be hard to get right now.
__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.








jaxgtr is offline  
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-06-21, 06:03 AM
  #67  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 19,831

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8230 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Ahh, yeah. Aero carbon handlebars - can be a pain in the ass to install, but they look and feel great afterwards.
I'm shopping for some right now.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 05-06-21, 06:09 AM
  #68  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 19,831

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8230 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Yes.

I just prefer the overall feel, in general. It's hard to describe, but in addition to the above, there's the fact that they're less of a heat sink, too.
Nailed it.

My first set of aero carbon bars were FSA K-Wings in 2010. The silky feel of those unwrapped flats is sublime.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 05-10-21, 11:18 AM
  #69  
sjanzeir
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Posts: 655

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer; 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 82 Posts
N+Umpteenth bike. Just because.
sjanzeir is offline  
Old 05-10-21, 12:20 PM
  #70  
sunburst
Senior Member
 
sunburst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,650

Bikes: Giant, Trek, Peugeots, Motobecane, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
FSA K-wing carbon bars

Originally Posted by surak View Post
What are some components, gear, accessories, and so forth that might not make one faster on a bike, but still feels nice to have, forget the justification (i.e., treat yo'self)?.
I'm very frugal and would never have spent the money but my son bought me a set of FSA K-Wing carbon bars for xmas. They are, without a doubt, the most ergonomically significant upgrade I've had in 50 years of riding. I had almost completely given up drop bars at my age (67), and I could no longer get comfortable on my expensive road bike, but these bars have brought back my enjoyment of riding that bike. Here's an image I pulled off a google search.

sunburst is offline  
Likes For sunburst:
Old 05-10-21, 09:02 PM
  #71  
bOsscO
bOsscO
 
bOsscO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 597

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 2012 Cervelo R5, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh View Post
Rapha handlebar bag.
I've got a 'Burrito Supreme' bar bag from Road Runner on my gravel bike; https://roadrunnerbags.us/collection...handle-bar-bag
When it arrived in 2019 it felt like a luxury but now the bike feels naked without it.
bOsscO is offline  
Old 05-11-21, 02:32 AM
  #72  
Ghazmh
Senior Member
 
Ghazmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The banks of the River Charles
Posts: 1,556

Bikes: 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO View Post
I've got a 'Burrito Supreme' bar bag from Road Runner on my gravel bike; https://roadrunnerbags.us/collection...handle-bar-bag
When it arrived in 2019 it felt like a luxury but now the bike feels naked without it.
I have the same bag on my Honey Allroads rain bike. I also have the Rapha bag for my road bike. I find the Burrito Supreme to be better all around. I’ll readily admit I chose the Rapha out of vanity.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 05-11-21 at 11:53 AM.
Ghazmh is offline  
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 05-11-21, 09:13 AM
  #73  
MidTNBrad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 345

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 49 Posts
Nothing says luxury more than a carbon fiber kick-stand. Make sure to spend the extra money to get the one with dimples and the whale fin inspired profile since aero is king!
MidTNBrad is offline  
Old 05-11-21, 09:15 AM
  #74  
bOsscO
bOsscO
 
bOsscO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 597

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 2012 Cervelo R5, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 159 Posts
Not sure if it counts as an upgrade but, from a pure vanity perspective, a custom paint job on an existing frame/fork always looks sick.
bOsscO is offline  
Old 05-12-21, 05:32 AM
  #75  
WongaTaa
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 2

Bikes: Raleigh Competition ca. 1975

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Luxury? How about a rain jacket from a bespoke London tailor? (Won't let me post URLs yet, but search YouTube for "Brooks England jacket".)

A more simple luxury? Throw out that old toe-clip strap, and say Hello to the Brooks trouser strap - also known as a $29.50 piece of leather wrapped around a $0.50 snap bracelet!
WongaTaa is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.