Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Every ride...a flat

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Every ride...a flat

Old 06-12-22, 07:23 PM
  #1  
geneg
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 9

Bikes: Cannondale BadBoy 2001, BadBoy Ultra 2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every ride...a flat

Hi guys, I live in Boca Raton FL and ride along A1A every Sunday for 4 years since my move here. I ride Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra on Vittoria Randonneur Rigid Tyre, Full Black Reflex, 700 x 28c.

(about 1K on them) and about 2 month ago, I started to get flat tire every time I rode. After couple of flats, I brought my bike to a shop and they replaced an inner liner on my rear wheel (only rear tire got punctured so far)

Next Sunday ride, flat again. Got an outer liner on my rear tire, guess what happened next ride...flat. When replacing tubes, I usually go with my hand thru the inners of the wheel to find something that punctured, nothing to be found, Was suggested to replace my tires with Gatorskins. Thinking of doing it. But for now...

So my questions is, what can cause those punctures? Any suggestions based on your experience? Thanks in advance.
geneg is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 07:26 PM
  #2  
mschwett 
please no more flats
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,018

Bikes: aethos, creo, vanmoof, public ...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by geneg View Post
Hi guys, I live in Boca Raton FL and ride along A1A every Sunday for 4 years since my move here. I ride Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra on Vittoria Randonneur Rigid Tyre, Full Black Reflex, 700 x 28c.

(about 1K on them) and about 2 month ago, I started to get flat tire every time I rode. After couple of flats, I brought my bike to a shop and they replaced an inner liner on my rear wheel (only rear tire got punctured so far)

Next Sunday ride, flat again. Got an outer liner on my rear tire, guess what happened next ride...flat. When replacing tubes, I usually go with my hand thru the inners of the wheel to find something that punctured, nothing to be found, Was suggested to replace my tires with Gatorskins. Thinking of doing it. But for now...

So my questions is, what can cause those punctures? Any suggestions based on your experience? Thanks in advance.
i feel this thread, and am curious what people say.

i rode approx 7,000 miles since jan 2021 without a single flat. then a slow leak a month or two ago and three flats since then. three kinds of tubes, two tires, one shop change, the others by me, no sharp bits inside the tire…. at wits end! same roads as all the other miles 😑
mschwett is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 08:08 PM
  #3  
tempocyclist
Senior Member
 
tempocyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 533

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 206 Posts
Are you able to pinpoint the location of the flat on the tube? Then match that up to the point on the tyre/wheel?
tempocyclist is offline  
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 06-12-22, 08:18 PM
  #4  
Random11
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: North Florida
Posts: 387

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 267 Times in 136 Posts
Is it the same exact tire that flats? I don't know the answer to your problem, but last summer I started getting weekly flats in my rear tire. I found the location of the leak in the tube, carefully checked the tire for issues, and replaced the tube only to get another flat the next week. I even took the tire in to my LBS to see if they saw any problem. They didn't, so I again replaced the tube and the next week got a flat. I was running Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, which should be pretty flat-resistant. Anyway, after five weeks of this, I threw out my rear tire, moved the Marathon Plus that was on the front to the rear, and haven't had a flat since. It's clear that my tire had some problem that neither I nor my LBS could detect. That's my experience, and when I was in your position, I discarded the tire that kept flatting, which solved the problem.
Random11 is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 08:55 PM
  #5  
geneg
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 9

Bikes: Cannondale BadBoy 2001, BadBoy Ultra 2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11 View Post
Is it the same exact tire that flats? I don't know the answer to your problem, but last summer I started getting weekly flats in my rear tire. I found the location of the leak in the tube, carefully checked the tire for issues, and replaced the tube only to get another flat the next week. I even took the tire in to my LBS to see if they saw any problem. They didn't, so I again replaced the tube and the next week got a flat. I was running Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, which should be pretty flat-resistant. Anyway, after five weeks of this, I threw out my rear tire, moved the Marathon Plus that was on the front to the rear, and haven't had a flat since. It's clear that my tire had some problem that neither I nor my LBS could detect. That's my experience, and when I was in your position, I discarded the tire that kept flatting, which solved the problem.
Yep, that I was going to do. I have one old Gator..., will replace the problematic tire to see if it will solve the flat problem. Thanks
geneg is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 09:45 PM
  #6  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,998

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3694 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,660 Posts
I'm a huge fan of patching tubes with the flatted tire on hand. Now I can match up the patch to the tire and know exactly where to look for the problem.I don't rest easy until I know what caused that flat. If at all possible, I patch tires at the roadside and reuse the tire. Both to locate the issue and flatten the patch with tire pressure against the tire. (And I still have 2 spare tubes to go.)

Now, there are holes so small that finding them outdoors with roadside noise is impossible. The spare goes in and I am nervous 'till I get home unless I found the cause with my eyes or fingers. At home, I inflate the tube and find the hole under water. Then patch the tube, pull the spare and go looking for the cause.

For multiple flats on the same tire, that patched tube tells you a lot. 2 or more holes at your first patch makes the cause obvious. (Or egual distance from the valve on the other side.) A huge help in finding those tiny steel wires from car treads that can be 1/16" long and barely thicker than a hair (and can embed themselves completely inside the tread).
79pmooney is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 11:36 PM
  #7  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,017

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Trek FX 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 481 Posts
For tubed setups that repeatedly flat, it may be something embedded in the tire, or it may be something in the rim bed, especially on single wall rims, e.g., spoke nipple edge burr, etc. Remove the rim bed liner or rim tape, thoroughly clean the inside of the rim, blow it out with a compressor, feel for anything even slightly prickly, then install new rim bed liner or tape.
SoSmellyAir is online now  
Old 06-13-22, 07:43 AM
  #8  
Iride01 
Plz hurry Dec 22!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 11,901

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4874 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,355 Posts
You absolutely need to determine why each flat happened. Otherwise unless your flats are from road hazards puncturing the tread into the tube you'll continue to have flats regardless of what tires you put on the bike.

If you can't diagnose the causes then you might benefit going tubeless.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 09:05 AM
  #9  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,331

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 250 Posts
I had a similar issue once and it was the tire's internal sidewall that had a manufacturer defect (the fibres were torn or something like that and there was a weak round spot). When the tube was inflated, it was rubbing against that defect and tearing for that reason.

If your pressure is good and replacing the tube didn't solve your problem, the next logical thing to do is to get a new tire.
eduskator is offline  
Likes For eduskator:
Old 06-13-22, 09:13 AM
  #10  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,998

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3694 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,660 Posts
Again, patch your tubes and reuse them. (And keep the tire mounted the same each time - with the label at the valve or opposite.) The patches become a running documentary on your issues.

I know, nobody has time to patch tubes. But I'll bet that had the OP been patching his, he wouldn't have enev needed t come on the forum to ask what's going on.
79pmooney is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 09:40 AM
  #11  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,775

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 975 Times in 487 Posts
I Patch mine at home and then TEST Them for 24 hours.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 09:55 AM
  #12  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,674

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T-Lab X3

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2174 Post(s)
Liked 1,211 Times in 742 Posts
Flats happen randomly, that’s just how it is. Of course you check for intrusions and that the rim bed is ok, but flats are caused most often by random road debris, which means they can happen anytime…literally. There’s an expression, “a run of bad luck…”
chaadster is offline  
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-13-22, 12:37 PM
  #13  
aliasfox
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
You wouldn't happen to be pinch flatting, would you? Low pressures for comfort, then hit a patch of square-edged broken pavement at-speed?
aliasfox is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 01:01 PM
  #14  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 8,229

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked 1,113 Times in 650 Posts
Apparently, the cycling Gods are upset.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 01:10 PM
  #15  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 35,801
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16436 Post(s)
Liked 11,194 Times in 5,440 Posts
Have you tried turning the tire inside out? You could have a tiny piece of wire from a shredded car/truck tire that you can’t feel with your finger.

Several years ago while on tour I woke up to a flat tire. The leak was so small I had to run the tube through a convenient puddle to find the puncture. Once I did I matched it up with the tire but still couldn’t feel anything until I turned the tire inside out. That’s how I found the piece of wire. It was maybe 1/8 of an inch long.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-13-22, 01:22 PM
  #16  
zandoval 
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 3,470

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 579 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
You absolutely need to determine why each flat happened...
If you decide to replace the tires here is a very good option...

__________________
No matter where your at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)
zandoval is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 01:54 PM
  #17  
freeranger
Senior Member
 
freeranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,344

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 341 Posts
Try running a used dryer sheet, piece of old soft t-shirt or handkerchief around the tire-preferably with the tire off so you can run it over all surfaces. If nothing in the tire snags, do the same with the rim. Cotton balls work too. Fingers might not find a snag but one of those things should.
freeranger is offline  
Likes For freeranger:
Old 06-13-22, 02:45 PM
  #18  
obuckler
“Senior” Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 338

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts
Someone mentioned changing the liner or rim tape. When doing that make sure it is the right width. I had this same issue once and the rim tape seemed fine until I realized it was just a bit too narrow and it would squirm over enough to expose a spoke hole edge and that caused the flats
obuckler is offline  
Likes For obuckler:
Old 06-13-22, 02:53 PM
  #19  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,238

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6800 Post(s)
Liked 7,224 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Have you tried turning the tire inside out? You could have a tiny piece of wire from a shredded car/truck tire that you can’t feel with your finger.

Several years ago while on tour I woke up to a flat tire. The leak was so small I had to run the tube through a convenient puddle to find the puncture. Once I did I matched it up with the tire but still couldn’t feel anything until I turned the tire inside out. That’s how I found the piece of wire. It was maybe 1/8 of an inch long.
I had one of those last year. I could feel it on the inside of the tire, and JUST see it, barely, but I don't wear my glasses to ride, and I had a hell of a time trying to grab hold of it with my fingernails and pull it out, by the side of the road.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 06-13-22, 08:57 PM
  #20  
koala logs
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 137 Posts
Also try checking the rims. There may be sharp metal poking out to the inner tube....Something that escaped quality control during manufacture of the rims. Even a liner won't help in situations like that. You'll need to carefully file down such defects or grind them away with a small grinder like the small wheel grinder dentists use.
koala logs is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 09:59 PM
  #21  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
I'm a huge fan of patching tubes with the flatted tire on hand. Now I can match up the patch to the tire and know exactly where to look for the problem.I don't rest easy until I know what caused that flat. If at all possible, I patch tires at the roadside and reuse the tire. Both to locate the issue and flatten the patch with tire pressure against the tire. (And I still have 2 spare tubes to go.)

Now, there are holes so small that finding them outdoors with roadside noise is impossible. The spare goes in and I am nervous 'till I get home unless I found the cause with my eyes or fingers. At home, I inflate the tube and find the hole under water. Then patch the tube, pull the spare and go looking for the cause.

For multiple flats on the same tire, that patched tube tells you a lot. 2 or more holes at your first patch makes the cause obvious. (Or egual distance from the valve on the other side.) A huge help in finding those tiny steel wires from car treads that can be 1/16" long and barely thicker than a hair (and can embed themselves completely inside the tread).
Personally I don't change tires on the side of the road. Id rather walk/jog 2-3 hours home until I can get to a decent base to change my tires. Been burned too many times getting a flat after changing tubes on the road and don't like that stress
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 10:05 PM
  #22  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,998

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3694 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
I had one of those last year. I could feel it on the inside of the tire, and JUST see it, barely, but I don't wear my glasses to ride, and I had a hell of a time trying to grab hold of it with my fingernails and pull it out, by the side of the road.
Trick - the pliers on my Leatherman are the best I've ever used for things like tire hairs. They have real bite right out to the end. Open them 1/8", press firrmly into the tire, squeeze and pull. I've also bought very good tweezers in the women's cosmetics in supermarkets. I've never pulled tire hairs with them so I don't know if they have the grip to do that. (Excellent for picking out tiny splinters and broken thorns out of skin. My yard's got roses, raspberries, black berries and marionberries.)
79pmooney is offline  
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-13-22, 10:11 PM
  #23  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,998

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3694 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
Personally I don't change tires on the side of the road. Id rather walk/jog 2-3 hours home until I can get to a decent base to change my tires. Been burned too many times getting a flat after changing tubes on the road and don't like that stress
Consider finding a coop and signing up for a tire repair class. I can repair 5 flats and be home, showered and fed before you get back.
79pmooney is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 10:22 PM
  #24  
Kabuki12
Senior Member
 
Kabuki12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ventura County ,California
Posts: 2,653

Bikes: 71 Stella,72 Mondia Special,72 ItalVega Grand Rallye, 73 Windsor Pro,75 Colnago Super,76 Kabuki DF,77 Raleigh Comp.GS,78 Raleigh Pro,80 Moto Gran Sprint,82 Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 845 Posts
I seem to be getting more flats this year than previous years but I believe it’s just random. I usually average 3-4 flats a year . I’m already up to 5 this year . I ride every week and pretty much year round. All but one flat this year have been thorns … drought? I dunno it just seems to be one of those years. I now have more patch experience so …?
Kabuki12 is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 10:27 PM
  #25  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 232 Posts
[QUOTE=79pmooney;22540660]Consider finding a coop and signing up for a tire repair class. I can repair 5 flats and be home, showered and fed before you get back.[/ can ]
I can change 23mm tires without levers in a few minutes, it just pisses me off when a tube fails after swapping. Like it makes me unreasonably upset, id rather just walk a couple of hours. Flats just really upset me, idk why
LarrySellerz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.