Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Replacement seat post for Specialized Roubaix

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Replacement seat post for Specialized Roubaix

Old 11-05-22, 06:46 PM
  #1  
72andsunny
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
72andsunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Replacement seat post for Specialized Roubaix


The rubber shock absorber on my seat post is disintegrating. I have no complaints about the seat post (aside from its short life span), except a replacement from specialized is $249. Diameter is 27.2 mm. Can anyone recommend something good to replace it with. I donít think I need the suspension. Letís keep it under $100 as Iím hoping to get rid of this bike in the near future. Thanks!
72andsunny is offline  
Old 11-05-22, 08:25 PM
  #2  
Symox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 651

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts
Just take out zertz

Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post

The rubber shock absorber on my seat post is disintegrating. I have no complaints about the seat post (aside from its short life span), except a replacement from specialized is $249. Diameter is 27.2 mm. Can anyone recommend something good to replace it with. I donít think I need the suspension. Letís keep it under $100 as Iím hoping to get rid of this bike in the near future. Thanks!
the rubber provides no structural integrity to the seatpost. Thatís what I would do
Symox is offline  
Old 11-05-22, 09:50 PM
  #3  
cyclezen
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Posts: 4,164

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 352 Posts
If that post only a the 'rubber' issue, I would still ride it.
But, looking closer at it, my eyes are seeing a stress crack starting at the lower section where the broken rubber/carbon connection is and runs down and over in an L shape.
I'd prolly take that post off as soon as possible.
Replacement - any 27.2 post will do, just a matter of what you prefer... setback, clamping method, etc. I prefer 2 bolt systems because micro-adjustment of seat rail angle is easy. I prefer fore-aft adjustment over side-by-side clamps.
I have a bunch of different Specialized CF posts most I like, one model has a single bolt using side-by-side clamps. Specialized even puts a note on the post to be sure to lubricate/grease the side clamps.
After a while they still make creaking noises... lubing only helps for a short time...
I prefer and have a bunch of the older model with Zertz insert - sturdy, good adjustment, I've got thousands of miles on them and they hold up, work well and never creak...
One is going on 20 years old and still no issues.
can be had 'used' in the usual used marketplaces online.
Ride On
Yuri
This is one I like best

This post/head, below, is the one which starts creaking on me, a month of riding after I lube the cups, as recommended... Don't remember if mine has Zertz... It's buried at the moment... I need to get rid of it...
cyclezen is offline  
Old 11-05-22, 10:29 PM
  #4  
72andsunny
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
72andsunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen View Post
If that post only a the 'rubber' issue, I would still ride it.
But, looking closer at it, my eyes are seeing a stress crack starting at the lower section where the broken rubber/carbon connection is and runs down and over in an L shape.
I'd prolly take that post off as soon as possible.
Replacement - any 27.2 post will do, just a matter of what you prefer... setback, clamping method, etc. I prefer 2 bolt systems because micro-adjustment of seat rail angle is easy. I prefer fore-aft adjustment over side-by-side clamps.
I have a bunch of different Specialized CF posts most I like, one model has a single bolt using side-by-side clamps. Specialized even puts a note on the post to be sure to lubricate/grease the side clamps.
After a while they still make creaking noises... lubing only helps for a short time...
I prefer and have a bunch of the older model with Zertz insert - sturdy, good adjustment, I've got thousands of miles on them and they hold up, work well and never creak...
One is going on 20 years old and still no issues.
can be had 'used' in the usual used marketplaces online.
Ride On
Yuri
This is one I like best

This post/head, below, is the one which starts creaking on me, a month of riding after I lube the cups, as recommended... Don't remember if mine has Zertz... It's buried at the moment... I need to get rid of it...

Is the crack your seeing here? That appears to be an indentation in the post (on both sides). I think itís reflecting the overhead light in the garage.
72andsunny is offline  
Old 11-05-22, 11:28 PM
  #5  
cyclezen
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Posts: 4,164

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post

Is the crack your seeing here? That appears to be an indentation in the post (on both sides). I think itís reflecting the overhead light in the garage.
In the circle you drew, where the two ends are, the lower one has a 'point', just below that point is a crack in the 'rubber'? follow that down to where the crack leads to what appears could be a continuance into the post itself, and if so it would appear to curve down on the post... Again, 'appear' - from a photo this is only supposition. 1st hand inspection would be needed.
There are also 'chips', seen as small white marks which seem to follow that crack line, as you look further... Again, 'appear'...
The insert you call 'rubber' is clearly more brittle than a rubber compound. It may have elastomer properties, but fracturing as seen is not common to most elastomers, unless there's been some change to the material. The rib forms an I-beam type structure with the post, to limit flex.
That rib is there to support the carbon fiber arch of the post, and limit the 'flex - otherwise there's be a good possibility the post would assplode if put under a sudden, hard load.
My deduction is that the 'rib' assploded under a load (or multiple loads), with the possibility of some further damage starting on the actual Carbon Fiber.
Would it be presumptuous to ask how much you weigh?
Did you get the post or the bike New or Used? Is there a possibility that the seatpost already had some damage and you hadn't noted it prior to the rib collapsing? All worth asking/considering.
I'm not familiar with this post, so conjecture of what appears. But I'd be looking deeper if I was putting my butt on top that.
Ride On
Yuri
cyclezen is offline  
Old 11-07-22, 09:58 AM
  #6  
redcon1
Senior Member
 
redcon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 548

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
I have one I removed from my Roubaix, still in excellent shape. PM me if interested
redcon1 is offline  
Old 11-09-22, 09:15 PM
  #7  
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget
 
Bacciagalupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I'd go for the Canyon S15 / Ergon CF Allroad Pro. I haven't used it but I believe it offers more movement, and more lateral movement, than most seatposts.


Bacciagalupe is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.