Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

DI2 problems ?

Old 01-13-13, 06:28 PM
  #1  
Adrianinkc
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Adrianinkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DI2 problems ?

I'm about to purchase a di2 ultegra bike and was wondering if anyone has experienced any problems or complaints with the stuff. Do you still love it ? Thanks
Adrianinkc is offline  
Old 01-13-13, 07:44 PM
  #2  
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 18,087

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I absolutely love my Ultegra di2. I don't believe i have ridden my SRAM equipped road bike since getting the di2. I believe it is the most noticeable upgrade I have made besides switching to clipless.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline  
Old 01-13-13, 08:01 PM
  #3  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,401

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had Dura Ace Di2 for a year or so on two bikes. Zero point zero zero problems.
__________________
http://www.cotsiscad.com
patentcad is offline  
Old 01-13-13, 08:09 PM
  #4  
coppercook62
Senior Member
 
coppercook62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 729

Bikes: Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5 Berk on order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On 2 bikes never had a problem
coppercook62 is offline  
Old 01-13-13, 09:09 PM
  #5  
lazerzxr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,204

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive been on DA Di2 for just over 18 months. I set it up when I got it, ive never touched it since. Perfection.
lazerzxr is offline  
Old 01-13-13, 09:27 PM
  #6  
Rwc5830
Senior Member
 
Rwc5830's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Harlingen, TX Warmshowers Host
Posts: 449

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same message here...love mine on my Roubaix.
Rwc5830 is offline  
Old 01-13-13, 09:48 PM
  #7  
jgt_madone_newb
Oops... Madone-less
 
jgt_madone_newb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 189

Bikes: seven Axiom SG, Spec Roubaix Expert Di2, Trek DS8.4, Trek Sawyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about to push the "go" button with Competitive Cyclist for an upgrade kit to try it on my new SL4 Expert. Too many of these "it's so awesome I can't stand it" reports to ignore. Just can't decide on whether to try to get the Specialized bracket for the battery mount under the BB, or set it up conventional, and switch to a seatpost battery when they're available. Specialized has the tech document out on the seatpost battery, which makes it a DIY possibility. LBS previously told me they send frames to Calfee to get fitted for internal batteries. Wasn't too keen on that idea
jgt_madone_newb is offline  
Old 01-13-13, 09:55 PM
  #8  
coppercook62
Senior Member
 
coppercook62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 729

Bikes: Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5 Berk on order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i did Calfee route on my Cervelo R3. Had the whole thing done internally. I basically tried it out on that bike to make sure I wanted it on my Crumpton SL.

picture of battery on the R3



picture of battery on Crumpton.
coppercook62 is offline  
Old 01-13-13, 09:56 PM
  #9  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,401

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Di2 is the total shiznit.
__________________
http://www.cotsiscad.com
patentcad is offline  
Old 01-13-13, 09:57 PM
  #10  
Dainbramage
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2,000 on mine. Never re-tuned after initial setup, never dropped a chain. Love the system!
Dainbramage is offline  
Old 01-13-13, 10:57 PM
  #11  
Adrianinkc
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Adrianinkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet thanks a lot for the feedback guys, I'm getting excited about this one.

Originally Posted by jgt_madone_newb View Post
I'm about to push the "go" button with Competitive Cyclist for an upgrade kit to try it on my new SL4 Expert. Too many of these "it's so awesome I can't stand it" reports to ignore. Just can't decide on whether to try to get the Specialized bracket for the battery mount under the BB, or set it up conventional, and switch to a seatpost battery when they're available. Specialized has the tech document out on the seatpost battery, which makes it a DIY possibility. LBS previously told me they send frames to Calfee to get fitted for internal batteries. Wasn't too keen on that idea
How have you liked your SL4 Expert ? that is the bike I'm planing to get. Also epic bike or bike source ?
Adrianinkc is offline  
Old 01-13-13, 11:13 PM
  #12  
metalheart44
Senior Member
 
metalheart44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sierra Foothills, NorCal
Posts: 666

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding Ultegra Di2 for the past year and 5000+ miles. No problems, no issues other than some early operator error. You can't go wrong ....
metalheart44 is offline  
Old 01-13-13, 11:26 PM
  #13  
R1lee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kleinburg, ON
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my ultegra di2 and waiting for my dura ace version. I would prob never go back to mechanical.
R1lee is offline  
Old 01-14-13, 06:00 AM
  #14  
jgt_madone_newb
Oops... Madone-less
 
jgt_madone_newb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 189

Bikes: seven Axiom SG, Spec Roubaix Expert Di2, Trek DS8.4, Trek Sawyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adrianinkc View Post
Sweet thanks a lot for the feedback guys, I'm getting excited about this one.



How have you liked your SL4 Expert ? that is the bike I'm planing to get. Also epic bike or bike source ?
I have been absolutely thrilled with my SL4. I like everything about it - the geometry is great for me, fit is spot on, and bike is a joy to ride. It's an amazing combination of ride qualititles - it's stiff, light and responsive, while having stable handling, comfortable geometry and it does a nice job of dissipating road harshness without feeling the least bit mushy or disconnected.

I got mine at the BikeSource Ranch Mart location. They were great to work with, and give me a better deal than I would have expected on a brand new model. A very good experience all around. And with the current pricing on the upgrade kits, I can have a di2 bike in the matte black color scheme, and still be cheaper than the factory di2 model. And once I sell off the mechanical Ultegra parts, it will be a complete no -brainer.
jgt_madone_newb is offline  
Old 01-14-13, 07:27 AM
  #15  
Adrianinkc
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Adrianinkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgt_madone_newb View Post
I have been absolutely thrilled with my SL4. I like everything about it - the geometry is great for me, fit is spot on, and bike is a joy to ride. It's an amazing combination of ride qualititles - it's stiff, light and responsive, while having stable handling, comfortable geometry and it does a nice job of dissipating road harshness without feeling the least bit mushy or disconnected.

I got mine at the BikeSource Ranch Mart location. They were great to work with, and give me a better deal than I would have expected on a brand new model. A very good experience all around. And with the current pricing on the upgrade kits, I can have a di2 bike in the matte black color scheme, and still be cheaper than the factory di2 model. And once I sell off the mechanical Ultegra parts, it will be a complete no -brainer.
Bike source ranch mart is a beautiful store, although I will be going through epic bike since I have done business with them before and they are closer to me. Thanks for the feedback on the roubaix , can't wait.
Adrianinkc is offline  
Old 01-14-13, 07:28 AM
  #16  
garysol1 
Senior Member
 
garysol1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: K-Zoo Michigan
Posts: 10,229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have been selling Di2 at our shop since day 1 and have yet to have one come back with any issues.
__________________
Trek Emonda SLR Speedy
Trek Stache 9.7 Its a hoot!
Specialized AWOL Mile Muncher
Specialized Fatboy Trail Miles of Smiles
Kona Jake The Snake Cross
garysol1 is offline  
Old 01-14-13, 07:30 AM
  #17  
Adrianinkc
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Adrianinkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1 View Post
We have been selling Di2 at our shop since day 1 and have yet to have one come back with any issues.
Thanks. I was a little worried about the life of the motors but seem to last quite a while. Haven't seen anything about burning them up.
Adrianinkc is offline  
Old 01-15-13, 01:05 AM
  #18  
hamster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 2,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing wrong. Got the battery topped up at about 150 miles(?) since it came in part discharged from the shop, now at ~700 miles, charge indicator is showing above 50%. Went through a couple of hours of light rain, didn't seem to be a problem.
hamster is offline  
Old 01-15-13, 01:34 AM
  #19  
YOJiMBO20
Senior Member
 
YOJiMBO20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,413

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got Di2 problems? I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems, but a shift ain't one.
YOJiMBO20 is offline  
Old 01-15-13, 02:10 AM
  #20  
jtwilson
Senior Member
 
jtwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 750

Bikes: CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YOJiMBO20 View Post
You got Di2 problems? I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems, but a shift ain't one.
jtwilson is offline  
Old 01-15-13, 10:21 AM
  #21  
Bob Ross
your god hates me
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,861

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Got the battery topped up at about 150 miles(?) since it came in part discharged from the shop, now at ~700 miles, charge indicator is showing above 50%.
Friend of mine just recently bought an Ultegra Di2-equipped Cervelo from a local dealer, and didn't think to charge the battery before taking the bike out on its maiden voyage.


Also unfortunately didn't think to check the battery life indicator. Got 50 miles into a 70 mile ride when the thing stopped working. Rode home on a ~$10,000 "fixie"

So yeah, electronic shifting has some new maintenance and Pre-Ride Routines to learn...but does anyone else agree that it's just unconcionable for a dealer to sell an undercharged battery with these systems?
Bob Ross is offline  
Old 01-15-13, 10:28 AM
  #22  
StanSeven
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Delaware shore
Posts: 13,085

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
So yeah, electronic shifting has some new maintenance and Pre-Ride Routines to learn...but does anyone else agree that it's just unconcionable for a dealer to sell an undercharged battery with these systems?
Yeah, that's an incompetent dealer. It's something very basic and should be so rountine a customer shouldn't have to think about it not being fully charged.

I have about 1200 miles and the indicator hasn't shown even 50% discharge yet. So for most people the battery needs charged every three months at most.
StanSeven is offline  
Old 01-15-13, 10:49 AM
  #23  
Adrianinkc
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Adrianinkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Friend of mine just recently bought an Ultegra Di2-equipped Cervelo from a local dealer, and didn't think to charge the battery before taking the bike out on its maiden voyage.


Also unfortunately didn't think to check the battery life indicator. Got 50 miles into a 70 mile ride when the thing stopped working. Rode home on a ~$10,000 "fixie"

So yeah, electronic shifting has some new maintenance and Pre-Ride Routines to learn...but does anyone else agree that it's just unconcionable for a dealer to sell an undercharged battery with these systems?
I seen something similar with a gal that bought a s5, she was trying to check the battery and pushed the button on the box which puts it into adjustment mode. Then her battery was low and it quit shifting up front and she started to freak out. Couldn't believe the shop let her go without showing the basics.
Adrianinkc is offline  
Old 01-15-13, 11:07 AM
  #24  
saratoga
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,088

Bikes: ?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my SL4 Pro since March 2012 and have had 0 problems with the Ultegra Di2.

The battery has been charged twice since I got it and my only complaint is that the bottle cage blocks the battery, both of which could be switched around if I had the ambition to do anything about it.
saratoga is offline  
Old 01-15-13, 12:20 PM
  #25  
sbxx1985 
Senior Member
 
sbxx1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 11,994
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YOJiMBO20 View Post
You got Di2 problems? I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems, but a shift ain't one.
Well done.
sbxx1985 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.