Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2014 Madone 4.7 or 2014 Roubaix SL4 Comp Compact

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2014 Madone 4.7 or 2014 Roubaix SL4 Comp Compact

Old 04-08-14, 07:28 PM
  #1  
stevenba
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 31

Bikes: 2014 Madone 4.7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 Madone 4.7 or 2014 Roubaix SL4 Comp Compact

Currently riding a Specialized Secteur and wanting to upgrade to a carbon bike. I've been looking at the Madone 4.7 but test rode a Roubaix SL4 Comp Compact today. I liked it. The price is about $50 difference online but my lbs says they would sell the Roubaix for $2700. So...save $300-$400 on the Roubaix or go with full Ultegra components on the Madone?
stevenba is offline  
Old 04-08-14, 07:30 PM
  #2  
link0
Senior Member
 
link0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 794

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenba View Post
Currently riding a Specialized Secteur and wanting to upgrade to a carbon bike. I've been looking at the Madone 4.7 but test rode a Roubaix SL4 Comp Compact today. I liked it. The price is about $50 difference online but my lbs says they would sell the Roubaix for $2700. So...save $300-$400 on the Roubaix or go with full Ultegra components on the Madone?
They are very different bikes. Is it 5700 105 vs 6800 ultegra? Either way, I would go try out a Domane over a Madone if you like like Roubaix. I really hate the Zerts insert crap in the roubaix.
link0 is offline  
Old 04-08-14, 07:40 PM
  #3  
stevenba
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 31

Bikes: 2014 Madone 4.7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure. The Madone components are Ultegra while the Roubaix is Ultegra with Axis 2 brakes and Gossamer Pro, BB30 crankset.
stevenba is offline  
Old 04-08-14, 09:36 PM
  #4  
Long Tom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Go Ducks!
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure both "Ultegra's" are 6800.....

Well, I'm biased, because I have a 2014 SL4 Roubaix. Rode it 35 miles today in fact. It's a pretty fantastic bike! Some folks who bought one that doesn't come with the CG-R seatpost have felt it necessary to add it, be ause they thought the ride was too stiff without it. And they aren't cheap. But mine (Expert) came with one, so that's how I'm judging the SL4 frame. With a CG-R it rides smooth enough, but is really stiff in all the ways that count. LOVE the frame when climbing steep hills, and love it on fast descents too. Same hills/different bike really shows me how good the SL4 is. It tracks like its on rails on downhills, no wallow, and has a wonderful sense of "urgency" on climbs. Power in = power out to the wheel, or that's what it feels like.
Long Tom is offline  
Old 04-08-14, 09:48 PM
  #5  
Dunbar
Senior Member
 
Dunbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,079

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I own a Roubaix SL4 Expert (different carbon than the SL4 Comp Compact.) I took a Madone 5 series on a brief test ride when I was testing group sets. I would actually say the Madone rides smoother compared to the SL4 without the CG-R seat post installed (I have a CG-R on mine.) With the CG-R post it would be a much closer comparison with a slight edge to the Roubaix's ride quality. I was impressed with Madone. It's definitely one of the smoothest "race" geometry bikes out there IME. The Roubaix SL4 with the CG-R post gives you the best of both worlds IMO in terms of a really stiff frame with just enough compliance to the ride to make it manageable on longer rides. In my size (54cm) the Madone only has 9mm less stack than the Roubaix so I could fit either bike.
Dunbar is offline  
Old 04-08-14, 10:15 PM
  #6  
Team Sarcasm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 974

Bikes: One with square wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by link0 View Post
I really hate the Zerts insert crap in the roubaix.
x1,000,000. I usually say function over form, but there is no getting over those for me.....
Team Sarcasm is offline  
Old 04-09-14, 02:22 AM
  #7  
Long Tom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Go Ducks!
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But they soak up road buzz. This, combined with lateral stiffness yet vertical compliance, is why the Roubaix reigns über alles.

I thought everyone knew this...? Sheesh. I'm among idiots.
Long Tom is offline  
Old 04-09-14, 07:44 AM
  #8  
stevenba
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 31

Bikes: 2014 Madone 4.7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Long Tom View Post
Make sure both "Ultegra's" are 6800.....

Well, I'm biased, because I have a 2014 SL4 Roubaix. Rode it 35 miles today in fact. It's a pretty fantastic bike! Some folks who bought one that doesn't come with the CG-R seatpost have felt it necessary to add it, be ause they thought the ride was too stiff without it. And they aren't cheap. But mine (Expert) came with one, so that's how I'm judging the SL4 frame. With a CG-R it rides smooth enough, but is really stiff in all the ways that count. LOVE the frame when climbing steep hills, and love it on fast descents too. Same hills/different bike really shows me how good the SL4 is. It tracks like its on rails on downhills, no wallow, and has a wonderful sense of "urgency" on climbs. Power in = power out to the wheel, or that's what it feels like.
Thanks for the info. I'm obviously new to cycling and didn't realize the difference in the Ultegra components. I've been to several bikes shops and no one has pointed that out to me yet.

Last edited by stevenba; 04-09-14 at 07:58 AM.
stevenba is offline  
Old 04-09-14, 01:17 PM
  #9  
mprelaw
Senior Member
 
mprelaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're both mostly 6800 Ultegra for 2014. Full Ultegra on the Madone, FSA crank and Axis brakes on the Roubaix.
mprelaw is offline  
Old 04-09-14, 05:13 PM
  #10  
Long Tom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Go Ducks!
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenba View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm obviously new to cycling and didn't realize the difference in the Ultegra components. I've been to several bikes shops and no one has pointed that out to me yet.
A new version of Ultegra (6800) came out for 2014. It's easily identified because it has 11 speeds (rear cogs). It's widely considered to be quite superior to the prior generation of Ultegra. It's certainly possible to run into a new bike in the bike shop with the prior version of Ultegra. Not a deal killer, necessarily, but certainly something to be aware of and to add to the calculus when comparing two bikes...
Long Tom is offline  
Old 04-09-14, 06:37 PM
  #11  
copswithguns
Texas Tornado
 
copswithguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 278

Bikes: '14 Specialized Roubaix SL 4 Full Ultegra 6800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this bike in matte black and it's fantastic. List price is $2900 so I'd say you're getting a good deal. Everything is 6800 Ultegra, minus the FSA crank and the Axis 2.0 brakes, both of which I swapped for the 6800 parts. Should come with Fulcrum 5s for the wheels. I love this bike. I haven't ridden the 4.7 to compare, but man it's a great bike.
copswithguns is offline  
Old 04-09-14, 08:53 PM
  #12  
stevenba
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 31

Bikes: 2014 Madone 4.7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by copswithguns View Post
I have this bike in matte black and it's fantastic. List price is $2900 so I'd say you're getting a good deal. Everything is 6800 Ultegra, minus the FSA crank and the Axis 2.0 brakes, both of which I swapped for the 6800 parts. Should come with Fulcrum 5s for the wheels. I love this bike. I haven't ridden the 4.7 to compare, but man it's a great bike.
Thanks. I rode the Roubaix Tuesday and liked it. Was a great feel. The Madone feels a little more "aggressive" to me. I'm kind of leaning towards the Madone at the moment.
stevenba is offline  
Old 04-09-14, 08:57 PM
  #13  
copswithguns
Texas Tornado
 
copswithguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 278

Bikes: '14 Specialized Roubaix SL 4 Full Ultegra 6800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenba View Post
Thanks. I rode the Roubaix Tuesday and liked it. Was a great feel. The Madone feels a little more "aggressive" to me. I'm kind of leaning towards the Madone at the moment.
Well the Madone is a "race" geometry bike and the Roubaix is an "endurance" geometry bike so that's probably why. Good luck.
copswithguns is offline  
Old 04-09-14, 09:13 PM
  #14  
Long Tom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Go Ducks!
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely, go with what feels good, just make sure that what you intend to do with the bike lines up with HOW it feels good.

Let me say that another way <grin>. Just be sure that if (say) you intend to take long, rambling, 40-50 mile rides, that you get THAT kind of "feels good". Race geometry might get uncomfortable after a couple hours in the saddle. And vice versa, of course. Don't buy a relaxed-geo bike if your intent is to hammer hard on short rides.

thats my take from the cheap seats anyway.
Long Tom is offline  
Old 04-10-14, 01:51 PM
  #15  
mprelaw
Senior Member
 
mprelaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenba View Post
Thanks. I rode the Roubaix Tuesday and liked it. Was a great feel. The Madone feels a little more "aggressive" to me. I'm kind of leaning towards the Madone at the moment.
The 4.7 is a H2 fit Madone. It's not quite as aggressive as some other race geometry bikes. I had the 5.2. It was a very comfortable bike for me. I did 5 centuries on it. Lost count of the 50s and 100 kms.
mprelaw is offline  
Old 04-10-14, 02:25 PM
  #16  
snookanglr
padawan
 
snookanglr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 76

Bikes: Felt Breed 30, Bianchi Intenso, Trek Madone, Cannondale Synapse, Giant Anthem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have a 2014 Madone 4.7. It has FULL Ultegra 11-speed components and they're quite nice. Yes the Madone is a racier geometry than the Roubaix so make sure that's what you like. I also have a Cannondale Synapse which has a geometry more similar to the Roubaix. The endurance geometry puts me more upright and absorbs more road chatter. I tend to use my Madone for shorter and faster rides whereas the Synapse is for longer rides where comfort is more important.
snookanglr is offline  
Old 04-10-14, 03:04 PM
  #17  
stevenba
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 31

Bikes: 2014 Madone 4.7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snookanglr View Post
I have a 2014 Madone 4.7. It has FULL Ultegra 11-speed components and they're quite nice. Yes the Madone is a racier geometry than the Roubaix so make sure that's what you like. I also have a Cannondale Synapse which has a geometry more similar to the Roubaix. The endurance geometry puts me more upright and absorbs more road chatter. I tend to use my Madone for shorter and faster rides whereas the Synapse is for longer rides where comfort is more important.
Thanks for the input. Right now my "long" weekend rides average 40-60 miles. I do several 10-15 mile zips through town in the evenings when I get a chance and only have 30 min to an hour to ride. I'm really interested in the Madone because where I live is pretty hilly and I've been told it responds well on climbs. A close friend of mine rides the 4.5 and loves his. I imagine the 4.7 will be an adjustment after riding the Secteur for 1.5 years.
stevenba is offline  
Old 04-10-14, 05:53 PM
  #18  
softreset
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Have you ridden the Domane? It'd be more a appropriate bike to compare to the Roubaix from Trek's lineup.

As another posted mentioned earlier be mindful of the 2013s with Ultegra 6700. Of the four shops in my area that sell trek, they only have the 5 & 6 series in 6800. All of the 4 series are 6700.

My Domane is the Ultegra/105 mix (4.5) and I absolutely love it. But having just built-up a bike with 6800 the redesigned hood ergonomics are very noticeable on longer rides.
softreset is offline  
Old 04-10-14, 06:08 PM
  #19  
stevenba
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 31

Bikes: 2014 Madone 4.7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset View Post
Have you ridden the Domane? It'd be more a appropriate bike to compare to the Roubaix from Trek's lineup.

As another posted mentioned earlier be mindful of the 2013s with Ultegra 6700. Of the four shops in my area that sell trek, they only have the 5 & 6 series in 6800. All of the 4 series are 6700.

My Domane is the Ultegra/105 mix (4.5) and I absolutely love it. But having just built-up a bike with 6800 the redesigned hood ergonomics are very noticeable on longer rides.
I've not ridden the Domane. Looking at 2014's but I haven't been to a shop yet that has a 2014 Domane. I need to ride one before I write the check.
stevenba is offline  
Old 04-10-14, 06:12 PM
  #20  
stevenba
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 31

Bikes: 2014 Madone 4.7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Long Tom View Post
Absolutely, go with what feels good, just make sure that what you intend to do with the bike lines up with HOW it feels good.

Let me say that another way <grin>. Just be sure that if (say) you intend to take long, rambling, 40-50 mile rides, that you get THAT kind of "feels good". Race geometry might get uncomfortable after a couple hours in the saddle. And vice versa, of course. Don't buy a relaxed-geo bike if your intent is to hammer hard on short rides.

thats my take from the cheap seats anyway.
I enjoy long, rambling, 40-50 mile rides on Saturday mornings. My weekly rides are 10-15 mile trek through town that I ride hard. So a good mix is what I'm looking for I guess.
stevenba is offline  
Old 04-10-14, 10:24 PM
  #21  
Dunbar
Senior Member
 
Dunbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,079

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stevenba View Post
I've not ridden the Domane. Looking at 2014's but I haven't been to a shop yet that has a 2014 Domane. I need to ride one before I write the check.
I've ridden the Domane and Madone and own a Roubaix SL4. I would say the Madone rides more like the Roubaix. The Domane is a much smoother riding bike. The frame doesn't feel as stiff or responsive as the Roubaix or Madone though. In terms of fit the geometry of the Madone isn't that much different than the Roubaix. All are very good bikes, you just need to decide which one works for your preferences.
Dunbar is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
bres dad
Road Cycling
24
02-17-15 09:18 AM
mukaeli
Road Cycling
22
01-11-15 10:35 AM
zvez
General Cycling Discussion
4
09-07-13 10:35 AM
Sam_BE
Road Cycling
9
08-07-13 09:49 AM
manutd
Road Cycling
11
08-10-12 10:08 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.