Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rode some plush bikes tonight

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 08:51 PM

Bikes: Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in the market for a new roadie, and went to ride a few tonight. Since I'm 54 and keep bikes for a long time (current road bike is from 1984) I thought I'd go for the more relaxed geometry that a plush (or endurance) frame offered.

First up was a Felt Z85. This bike has an aluminum frame with a carbon fork, and a mostly Shimano 105 group. I took it out for a few laps, as it's my first experience with integrated shifters. My first impression was that it was more comfortable than either my old steel Trek or my somewhat newer aluminum Cannondale flat bar hybrid. After a few tries I got the hang of the shifters and have to say that they were easy to use and predictable.

Next up, a Giant Defy Composite 1. This one's all carbon and had Shimano Ultegra components. This bike could have used a little adjustment on the derailleurs, but the frame and the ride were spot on. I'd say that the steering was a little slower than the Felt, and the bike seemed absolutely on rails. I'd also say I couldn't tell much difference between the 105 and Ultegra controls.

The last one I tried was a Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact. The SRAM shifters are rather different and I wasn't so sure about them at first. This bike felt rather a lot like the Felt, handling wise, maybe a little more aggressive than the Defy. The Apex shifters are noisier than the Shimano ones, they make a loud CLACK when they shift.

After that, I took the Felt back out to see if there was all that much difference between the all carbon Roubaix and the aluminum/carbon Felt. I couldn't really tell much, but I did come to the conclusion that I liked the Apex shifters better than either of the Shimanos. The other problem with the Felt was that it was a closeout from last year and was maybe a bit too small for me. They could get one of this year's in the correct size, but it would have been $1250 instead of $1040 - still a lot of bike for the money.

I had to take the Defy out one more time as well. I absolutely love the way the Defy handles. We have some decent descents around her and I can see myself taking them with absolute confidence. I also like being able to lift the bike with two fingers. It's also the most expensive of the three at $2400.

To me, the Roubaix feels a little more twitchy than did the Defy. I'm guessing there are lots of riders who would prefer this, but I'm not one of them. Think of the Roubaix being a Lotus Elise and the the Giant being a Porsche Cayman. This one's $2200.

Giant also makes a Defy 2 composite. which is the same frame as the Defy 1 composite with the SRAM Apex group, and a slightly lower end wheelset for $1850. Also available from Giant is the Defy 1 in aluminum at $1400.

I'm very strongly leaning to the Defy 2 composite but will wait at least a few weeks before pulling the trigger. I'm wanting to do an Olympic distance tri in September, and am still recovering from a knee injury, so won't need the bike until early July. For the next six weeks or so, I'm dedicating most of my exercise time to running.
Old 05-01-12, 09:00 PM
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW the Giant Defy advanced 1 has won the "plush" bike award, again. and since it's white you can spend all your free time keeping it white. I love mine.
Old 05-01-12, 09:14 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I thought this thread was going to be about beach cruisers. Sounds like the Defy is the bike that speaks to you, so I say go for it and pull the trigger as soon as you are ready. In the mean time, why not keep shopping around. It's kind of fun isn't it?

I rode around Roswell a couple of summers ago. Blinkin hot and hilly, but nice bike lanes.
Old 05-01-12, 10:13 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rented a Giant Defy in Cape Town and thought it was a great bicycle. I liked the way it handled the descents. I have a Roubaix Expert. When I bought the Expert, I rode both the Roubaix and the Defy. The decision point was the LBS selling the Roubaix was willing to deal, and the LBS selling the Defy would not.
Old 05-02-12, 12:34 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Very little between the bikes but there will always be one that grabs you and says "BUY ME"

I was in a similar situation this year but did my testing last Autumn. When I went to order the Giant I wanted--NONE were available. They were but not in my size or in a price bracket I could not go to. However- I had tried a couple of the smaller Manufacturers in a Pinarrelo FP1 and a Colnago. They were a different beastie compared to the Big Name bikes and were not that expensive for the quality. Went for the Pinarrelo and not regretted it. Might be worth having a look at some of the "Performance" manufacturers for a pleasant surprise.

But staying on Giant--Have you thought or tried the TCR Composite range? That is one bike I am settling into for comfort and handling.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-02-12, 01:00 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP, I have two Giants, a TCR and an SCR C4. The SCR is the predecessor of the Defy in their range, slightly taller head tube and longer wheelbase than the TCR. As a result it is less twitchy than the TCR and has me in a fractionally more upright position. It's the bike I turn to for long-distance rides. The Defy geometry is very similar, I think, and as I'd expect it gets great reviews. I'm sure you wouldnt be disappointed with it.
Old 05-02-12, 03:52 AM

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FormerFF

... and am still recovering from a knee injury, ...For the next six weeks or so, I'm dedicating most of my exercise time to running.
I've had much better success rehabbing a knee on a bike than running.
Old 05-02-12, 05:14 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I tried the Felt and Giant last year when I was in the market. I liked the Felt a lot, and was set to buy it until I made a last-minute LBS stop that turned into an extended test ride of a Cannondale Synapse 5 Alloy (alum frame, carbon fork, 105). It ended up being the one that "spoke to me." You might try one if you're open to enlarging the pool.
Old 05-02-12, 05:37 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on enlarging the pool. Definitely try the Synapse and the 4 series Trek Madones. After riding 13 bikes a 4.5 Madone spoke to me. I knew within 1/2 mile I wanted it. The rest of the 15 mile ride was trying to find a fault with my first impression.
Old 05-02-12, 05:49 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
+3 on the Synapse to enlarge the try it out pool. Either the aluminum frame or the CF model are really nice smooth bicycles. All the bicycles you mention are good choices. As said, the one that reaches out and says "Buy Me" and the best LBS will get you and hold you tightly.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-02-12, 06:20 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
It sounds as if the Defy 2 Composite has called your name, but I'm putting my vote in for trying other bikes before you buy. I really like Giant bikes and I have a Defy 2 that fits me like a glove. I really love riding that bike and if the frame were carbon fiber, it would still be my only road bike. Good luck with your search and purchase.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-02-12, 10:33 AM

Bikes: Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to add the Cannondale Carbon Synapse 6 and Synapse 5 and the Trek Madone 3.1 to my shopping list. The Cannondale and the Giant match up very closely. The Trek, I suspect, will be a little less "plush", and is also about $200 more. That's not enough to make the decision, but it is a factor. I'm already feeling a little guilty about buying a new bike, but that's a topic for another thread.
Old 05-02-12, 10:38 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rather deal with guilt than constantly wishing I'd bought the bike I really wanted.
Old 05-02-12, 01:46 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gtragitt
I rented a Giant Defy in Cape Town....
Yah - rub it in

LOL

(I had a Giant reserved, but at the last minute, I could not make that ride. See you there in 2013, if I can get the airfare together.)

To the OP - my first thought when reading the thread title was what RxRider wrote in post #2.

Get the latest Bicycling magazine...
Old 05-02-12, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was almost sold on the felt, tried the roubaix, but loved the Xenith Endura from jamis, perfect for me, we all like what we own.....
Old 05-02-12, 02:26 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I was expecting something more like this when you said plush bikes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
310744274_JasZu-M-1.jpg (86.0 KB, 15 views)

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-02-12, 04:21 PM
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I was expecting something more like this when you said plush bikes.

does that bike really need a lock?
Old 05-02-12, 04:31 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by doohickie
i was expecting something more like this when you said plush bikes.

omg!!