Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Biking app?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 01:04 PM

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Ventura Sport, 2014 Jamis Xenith Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clarkbre
I use mapmyride's free service and it does a good job with the basic information. I've considered using the paid membership to gain the live tracking feature which would be nice in case of an emergency.
I tried that function when I upgraded my membership, never worked.
If you want to share your location try Road ID. It's free.
Old 06-17-15, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Android, map my ride MVP edition, only becuase when i bought my heart rate monitor I got a free year of mvp. but for $29 a year to not have ads, and the live tracking, power meter, and HR monitor is worth it to me to add to all the other features I get out of it.
Old 07-14-15, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I have introduced myself so its question time.

I have bought the Cyclemeter app to track my efforts. Is there any guide on how to use the app? I am looking to establish a route. I am hoping this will help with distance accuracy so the GPS does not tell it I am riding through some trees and bushes next to the road.

MMR and CM are the two big players in this space.
Old 07-14-15, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NukiWaza
I have bought the Cyclemeter app to track my efforts. Is there any guide on how to use the app? I am looking to establish a route. I am hoping this will help with distance accuracy so the GPS does not tell it I am riding through some trees and bushes next to the road.

MMR and CM are the two big players in this space.
Cyclemeter has a Help section but it's not as intuitive an app overall as MapMyRide+. To start a route, tap the Stopwatch icon on the bottom left corner, and then tap New Route. Then you'll see the tracking display with the green Start button.

Another thing i'm still figuring out about Cyclemeter is the best way to archive my workouts online. Strava is ok for analyzing speed and elevation but doesn't show calories. It has an amusing bug with my morning commute route in which it classifies one segment as a Category 4 Climb even though the actual segment is just as flat as the ones before and after it.

I stopped using MMR+ when it stopped tracking elevation. Two rides in a row with 0 elevation, despite the 100 ft climb to my house, is not acceptable.
Old 07-14-15, 10:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
Cyclemeter has a Help section but it's not as intuitive an app overall as MapMyRide+. To start a route, tap the Stopwatch icon on the bottom left corner, and then tap New Route. Then you'll see the tracking display with the green Start button.

Another thing i'm still figuring out about Cyclemeter is the best way to archive my workouts online. Strava is ok for analyzing speed and elevation but doesn't show calories. It has an amusing bug with my morning commute route in which it classifies one segment as a Category 4 Climb even though the actual segment is just as flat as the ones before and after it.

I stopped using MMR+ when it stopped tracking elevation. Two rides in a row with 0 elevation, despite the 100 ft climb to my house, is not acceptable.
I was hoping there was a way to map out my route first and then ride it tonight.
Old 07-14-15, 01:53 PM

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NukiWaza
I was hoping there was a way to map out my route first and then ride it tonight.
Unfortunately, Cyclemeter seems to be more of a "you do it, I record it" kind of app, as opposed to MMR/MMR+ which will let you preplan routes on a map - but only when you log on to the website - you can't do it on your iPhone.
Old 07-14-15, 07:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After the rain cleared I went riding, this time with the MMR app. I bought the paid app since in the case of cheap Apps I like to throw a few dollars at the developers. I was a little confused to find out that there were more payments ahead of me. I am not sure what I actually got by paying up front.

I do like a few of the features but was disappointed by how it interpreted the GPS data. It had me riding through the lake and some fields. The result, is it added a full mile to my 6 1/2 mile trip. Does anyone have advice about getting better results from this GPS?