Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need some advice, PLEASE HELP ME BUILD!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Need some advice, PLEASE HELP ME BUILD!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-16, 06:58 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think im going to love these pedals! The more I look at that platform the more I like it...
Old 09-26-16, 09:41 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No forks today. Our wonderful post office!!!!! not sure whats up. I am basically waiting now for parts. Tomorrow I am hoping to get marzocchi forks and Easton stem. At least if I get the forks I can overhaul them and install on my frame. I am high bidder on a pair of shoes bars. Hoping to win tomorrow....
Old 09-26-16, 09:45 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also the guy who sold me the shocks is sending me extra springs. I'm hoping I have at least a heavy duty spring. I weigh about 245 and I want the least amount of preload on the forks as possible.
Does anyone know if the springs between the bomber 2 and 3 are the same??
Old 09-27-16, 08:55 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hit the jack pot today!!!!!!!
These Marzocchi forks are AWESOME!!!! Butter smooth and super plush and linear right down to the bottom!!
https://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x122/65bug_01/IMG_20160927_134250649_zpsbvtj2txx.jpg
Excellent condition with a 8 1/4 inch long steering tube!! These forks have never been apart! No mauling of any metal or threads at all! And I got a set of brand new springs with them...............58.00!
https://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x122/65bug_01/IMG_20160927_134550277_zpsr8jpkkjf.jpg
Easton carbon fiber seat post and Easton Haven stem. This stem is a work of art!!! It is awesome!

Last edited by BillyD; 09-29-16 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Political Content
Old 09-27-16, 09:01 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brand new springs too Never used. Progressives? X heavy duty? Anyone know?

Extra springs
Old 09-27-16, 09:04 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fork overhaul tomorrow. I need a 26mm wrench or socket which no one seems to have!!
Mock up so far.

This bike is going to ride beautifully once im done with it!
Old 09-27-16, 09:08 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel really fortunate to have found such nice parts at great bargains!!! The forks are coming apart tomorrow. I am thinking these are extra heavy duty springs. Need to compare to the ones in the forks to see. Motul full synthetic oil going in and all new seals as well. If I need o rings I will run and get them....
Old 09-27-16, 10:09 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddSantora
These Marzocchi forks are AWESOME!!!! Butter smooth and super plush and linear right down to the bottom!!
How did you determine that?
Old 09-28-16, 08:05 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
youve never been to a bike shop where they have forks lined up with stems and bars on them**********? then you can push down on each one of them and compare...........
Old 09-28-16, 08:36 AM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if linear right down to the bottom is a good thing...?

See anything odd with a $70 fork and a $60 stem..? I'd rather have a $200 fork and $10 ea for stem, fork, and headset... but that's just me.

I once had a Proflex 857 and after going over the bars a few too many times, swapped out the Crosslink fork for a Marzocchi Z2 BAM from the same timeframe as your Z3. So probably a bike not too different from yours - a racey XC-oriented frame with a coil/oil Marzocchi... It was OK as a bike, but not that great. The rear shock didn't hold up well and of course it was not a standard part...
Old 09-28-16, 10:57 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phantoj,
Linear of course will bottom out like anything else. They do make progressive springs as well. It felt great to me. I now have them tore down changing oil. They look great inside, other then the fact that the paint on the spring came off and contaminated the oil.
No I dont see anything odd. Your comparing apples and oranges. I wanted plush good feeling shocks that where built very well. Since I wont be jumping off roofs anytime in the near future I think these will be fine.
And because of my size, a 10.00 stem would be asking for big trouble. I DONT want to go over the bars from a broken stem. I wanted something that would not flex. This stem wont. if it does its going to be very minimal...
If I really get into it................I may upgrade to a different bike. But I think this will suffice nicely for now. And the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ makes no sense to me. 3000.00 to 8000.00 does not make a whole lot of sense to me. Im not going to be a racer......
Maybe it was the rear shock launching you over the bars? I think when you put the marzocchis on it probably really threw the suspension off. That rear suspension is completely different then mine......
Old 09-28-16, 01:57 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
youve never been to a bike shop where they have forks lined up with stems and bars on them**********? then you can push down on each one of them and compare...........
Wait. You attached the stem, pushed up and down on it on the floor and that's how you determined they are super plush, etc.? Compared to what? Most folks would suggest actually riding the fork to determine how it really performs.

As someone who had a bunch of Marzocchis of that vintage (Z2 light, Mr. T, X Fly 100) you might want to search for one of the aftermarket arches to replace the noodly stock one. They stiffen up the fork and also allow you to run higher volume tires without the clearance issues associated with the stockers. Example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0966.jpg (101.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-28-16, 02:39 PM
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You have $650 into this already and don't even have the shifty bits or brakes?

good gawd man!
Old 09-28-16, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by C Law
You have $650 into this already and don't even have the shifty bits or brakes?

good gawd man!
Same here am at a bit of a loss with this project, no mention of wheels, or groupset yet, and alot on the cost of each part.

What is the end game with this bike, you have shown a mix match of parts, which are all pretty old/obsolete/no longer available, and look to be pretty expensive; building a bike yourself works, when you don't have to use a LBS for service, have some parts to start with, and can get parts cheap; none of which seem to be going on here.
Old 09-28-16, 03:21 PM
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Same here am at a bit of a loss with this project, no mention of wheels, or groupset yet, and alot on the cost of each part.

What is the end game with this bike, you have shown a mix match of parts, which are all pretty old/obsolete/no longer available, and look to be pretty expensive; building a bike yourself works, when you don't have to use a LBS for service, have some parts to start with, and can get parts cheap; none of which seem to be going on here.
right, boat anchor fork (w/o disc tabs) & carbon seatpost ? I would imagine you'll have $1,000-$1,200 into this by the time your done and it will be 15 years obsolete.

You would have been better off buying a 2 year old full suspension for $1,500 with air sprung fork and modern wheelsize
Old 09-28-16, 03:54 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C Law
right, boat anchor fork (w/o disc tabs) & carbon seatpost ? I would imagine you'll have $1,000-$1,200 into this by the time your done and it will be 15 years obsolete.

You would have been better off buying a 2 year old full suspension for $1,500 with air sprung fork and modern wheelsize

...and a rear shock system that was a dud when introduced, has no parts stocked by Fox any longer, K2 can't help (OOB 2009), etc.

This seems more like a shopping/shipping tracking thread more than anything else.
Old 09-28-16, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Did you geniuses even read my first post on page one********** I have everything else..................how old are you guys????
Read it, but you talk about your RS Duke, then go on to buy an obsolete Z3, so yeah, guess where dumb asses for not wasting our cash on this money pit...

Last edited by making; 09-28-16 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-28-16, 10:37 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you geniuses even read my first post on page one********** I have everything else..................how old are you guys????
Just the truth here:

1. Yes, I read your first post. And all of your subsequent posts.

2. I am apparently both older than you are (if your posts are to be believed) and have been mountain biking for much, much longer than you claim. Hence my ability to comment on your "cutting edge" 15+ year old gear which was only mediocre when it was fresh. Again, just the facts. This might cause yu pain. I can't help that.

Finally, you asked for advice and "PLEASE HELP ME BUILD!"

The fact that you can't accept advice that is based on real world mountain biking experience, the same advice that apparently causes you distress, still doesn't excuse your immature lashing out and name calling.
Old 09-29-16, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12045 Post(s)
Liked 6,839 Times in 3,563 Posts
Both you guys need to settle down. Exchanging insults is not going to work out for ANYBODY.

When you can't get through to someone it's best to just drop it and walk away. It's next to impossible to change someone's entrenched opinion.