Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 10:08 AM

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti
If you replace a 18 tooth with 22 you need 4 more links to position the wheel as it was in the rear dropouts.
That formula seems to add one link per additional tooth on the rear sprocket? That actually makes sense.
Old 03-27-18, 10:09 AM

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 619 Times in 234 Posts
While at a Sports/ Bicycle(Giant) shop in a neighbouring town this morning, I spied these in an old drawer while looking for a brake hanger for centre pull brakes. I picked up some tubes and pedals and the springs were thrown in for free. Looks like a lifetime supply of both SA and Shimano pawl springs. Must be more than a 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0478[1].jpg (594.4 KB, 147 views)
DSC_0479[1].jpg (938.4 KB, 148 views)
Old 03-27-18, 10:23 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
That formula seems to add one link per additional tooth on the rear sprocket? That actually makes sense.
It would be better to take the old chain and wrap it around the sprockets and measure the distance it's short. 1 link = 1/2 inch.

Thinking about it the sprocket is a larger diameter but the chain only wraps around half of it.

So my my link per cog theory could be flawed.
I did change a crank from 46 to 48 tooth recently and it needed 2 links pressed in.

This particular chain had 1/2 links where the masterlink joins that look like this.

Left to right is first a half link , then a masterlink w/link, then link, pins & plates.

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 03-27-18 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-27-18, 06:02 PM
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
They were made with either a curved upper down tube (called a "loop" frame or "crescent") or a straight upper down tube, what most would call a typical ladies' frame, probably in 20" or 22" but I'm not certain about that. I'm sure a Tourist pro will chime in with specifics.
Those "loop" or "crescent" are much older. Right? Frame would be measured center-to-top on seat tube. Right?
Old 03-27-18, 06:07 PM
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
So, I did go out last weekend to pick up this tall frame, as well as a box of assorted useful parts.
Attachment 604833
Turned out to be a stalled project bike. The young owner had trouble with the cotters and moved on to a 1962 Glider 3 speed instead. His Glider inherited the hub from the Robin Hood and I, in turn have the '62 hub.
His '62 turned out quite nice and he'll send me some photos which I'll post.
I'll post some shots this weekend and update the progress.
BTW, I managed to get the cotters out with a couple of good whacks..
What is a "Glider?"

Sorry for my ignorance
Old 03-27-18, 06:32 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=boattail71;20249035]What is a "Glider?"

Sorry for my ignorance[/QumUOTE]The chain case is vinyl fabric on Holland dutch sucks sjob for chain cover sucks. I meant it. Yes I am continuyion. derilliom.ciramic disicetirorum

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 03-27-18 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 06:52 PM
boattail71

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti
The chain case is vinyl fabric on Hoallnd dutch job for chain cover suck
Um... what? Repeat. What is a "Glider?" Someone help an average Joe who is learning to appreciate our/my English finds.

Again, sorry for ignorance.
Old 03-27-18, 07:01 PM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 2,069 Times in 1,261 Posts
Originally Posted by boattail71
Um... what? Repeat. What is a "Glider?" Someone help an average Joe who is learning to appreciate our/my English finds.

Again, sorry for ignorance.
Sorry Glider is a Raleigh rebrand, distributed in Canada by The T. Eaton Department chain. Pretty much clones of the Raleigh line from the 60's on. The Glider name goes further back than Eatons Raleigh though, I had a twin bar beauty that was probably pre-war and was a Birmingham bike. No pics, but it happened.

Last edited by clubman; 03-27-18 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 08:10 PM
boattail71

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Sorry Glider is a Raleigh rebrand, distributed in Canada by The T. Eaton Department chain. Pretty much clones of the Raleigh line from the 60's on. The Glider name goes further back than Eatons Raleigh though, I had a twin bar beauty that was probably pre-war and was a Birmingham bike. No pics, but it happened.
Thanks, Club. So Gliders are not common here in the States. Yes? Hence my ignorance as a life-long Coloradoan. I'll try to be happy with my limited knowledge of my shy English stable including Raleigh, Hercules, Robin Hood, and Western Flyer (Norman), and I think I have a Sun somewhere. Regardless, I'll try to glide over arcane brands I'm likely not gonna see anytime soon. Logic appreciable? Gliding info is appreciable of course - don't wanna sound callus. Thanks all! And keep informing me/us.

--Ignorant but trying.
Old 03-27-18, 09:22 PM

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
I'll try to be happy with my limited knowledge of my shy English stable including Raleigh, Hercules, Robin Hood, and Western Flyer (Norman), and I think I have a Sun somewhere.
Western Flyer? Were some of those made in England? I always thought they were all built in the U.S.?
Old 03-27-18, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
Yet another candidate for a cotter press!

If you whack them out, you run the risk of damaging the bearing cups, bearings and bottom bracket axle, the crank arm(s), plus the cotters themselves. If your whack is unsuccessful, drilling might become the only option, and the resulting damage to the axle can be heartbreaking- they are not that common any more. The original cotters are usually much harder than the new ones you find these days, and if your bike has the 'Raleigh nuts' retaining the cotters, they probably won't be usable with a replacement.[...]
After my first adventure trying to extract original cotters from an old Raleigh Sports I bought a cotter press from the BikeSmith guy. It's a bit older design than his current, but works fine. I hart my cotter press.

The first ones I had to drill out after having smashed them attempting removal. Even with the press, I've found it tough to remove the old cotters without bending them. I've ended up drilling a couple sets. I am fortunate in having a drill press which makes it easier, but it's still sort of an adventure with the drill press quill rotating in close proximity to the chain ring. Anyway, if they must be drilled, it's not too bad. A 6mm or 1/4" bit will find the softer material of the cotter and won't damage the spindle. That's my experience, anyway.

Cheap cotters can be had, but the R nuts won't work on them -- or any new cotter, as far as I know. The cotter material is really quite soft and easy to file. Just file them to about the profile that bikesmith shows for Raleigh cotters and if they press in about the same amount on both sides, well, Bob's your uncle.

If you're trying to save the old cotters, I've found that applying heat helps. Put the press on and crank it down so there's a bit of force on it but not enough to bend anything and while the press is in place, heat that puppy up with a heat gun and it's likely to come free.
Old 03-27-18, 11:02 PM

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports, 1980 Lotus Excelle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made a cotter press from a top beam clamp and an old machine nut. I put the nut on the back side of the cotter to give it a space to go as the clamp is putting the pressure on the cotter. Works great!
Old 03-28-18, 04:01 AM

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Thanks, Club. So Gliders are not common here in the States. Yes? Hence my ignorance as a life-long Coloradoan. I'll try to be happy with my limited knowledge of my shy English stable including Raleigh, Hercules, Robin Hood, and Western Flyer (Norman), and I think I have a Sun somewhere. Regardless, I'll try to glide over arcane brands I'm likely not gonna see anytime soon. Logic appreciable? Gliding info is appreciable of course - don't wanna sound callus. Thanks all! And keep informing me/us.

--Ignorant but trying.
Here's a recent Glider project of mine
p1190489.jpg
And another
[ATTACH]27vxgmf.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
dvsfggrher27.jpg (47.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 03-28-18, 04:13 AM

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
here's a recent glider project of mine
Attachment 604942
and another
[attach]Attachment 604944[/attach]
40796554_614.jpg
Using the inflation calculator, $31.50 in 1933 works out to $588.00 today.
Old 03-28-18, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
After my first adventure trying to extract original cotters from an old Raleigh Sports I bought a cotter press from the BikeSmith guy. It's a bit older design than his current, but works fine. I hart my cotter press.

The first ones I had to drill out after having smashed them attempting removal. Even with the press, I've found it tough to remove the old cotters without bending them. I've ended up drilling a couple sets. I am fortunate in having a drill press which makes it easier, but it's still sort of an adventure with the drill press quill rotating in close proximity to the chain ring. Anyway, if they must be drilled, it's not too bad. A 6mm or 1/4" bit will find the softer material of the cotter and won't damage the spindle. That's my experience, anyway.

Cheap cotters can be had, but the R nuts won't work on them -- or any new cotter, as far as I know. The cotter material is really quite soft and easy to file. Just file them to about the profile that bikesmith shows for Raleigh cotters and if they press in about the same amount on both sides, well, Bob's your uncle.

If you're trying to save the old cotters, I've found that applying heat helps. Put the press on and crank it down so there's a bit of force on it but not enough to bend anything and while the press is in place, heat that puppy up with a heat gun and it's likely to come free.
I haven't yet had to drill all the way through a cotter to remove it. Hope I didn't jinx myself here! The important thing I've found is that if the threaded end of the cotter starts to bend from pressing, there's no point in pressing or driving it any further. It's like trying to drive a bent nail. I file a flat on the end of the cotter, center punch it and drill into it a little bit so I have a good center to keep the force in the right direction. Then I use a husky pointed center punch and hammer to drive the pin. It also makes a lot of sense to support the crank with something solid while you drive the cotter. Like a piece of 2x4 with a hole for the cotter against a cement floor.
Old 03-28-18, 08:46 AM

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports, 1980 Lotus Excelle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Western Flyer? Were some of those made in England? I always thought they were all built in the U.S.?
Yes.......mine has the remnants of the familiar "Made in england" script on the top.
Attached Images
WF1.jpg (988.4 KB, 138 views)
Old 03-28-18, 08:49 AM

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Will be replacing a stripped AW hub axle (early 70s) with a NOS one. A kit of replacement parts came with four axle washers, the ones that prevent the axle rotating in the slot in the dropout. Two pair, slightly different in size and detail. Anyone know the reasons for the two different types? For different hub models?
Old 03-28-18, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Will be replacing a stripped AW hub axle (early 70s) with a NOS one. A kit of replacement parts came with four axle washers, the ones that prevent the axle rotating in the slot in the dropout. Two pair, slightly different in size and detail. Anyone know the reasons for the two different types? For different hub models?
If I'm understanding correctly, you have two different anti-rotation washer sets -- one for each of the possible dropout widths you may encounter.

Look:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/...her-parts.html

I think you are talking about part #20 Part# HMW155 and HMW494.
Old 03-28-18, 09:30 AM

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 619 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
While at a Sports/ Bicycle(Giant) shop in a neighbouring town this morning, I spied these in an old drawer while looking for a brake hanger for centre pull brakes. I picked up some tubes and pedals and the springs were thrown in for free. Looks like a lifetime supply of both SA and Shimano pawl springs. Must be more than a 100.
Actually, I counted them last night and there are 87. If anyone needs a few let me know. I will take some to the Canadian Vintage Bicycle Show in June to share with my Canadian 3speed colleagues.
Old 03-28-18, 09:33 AM
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts

--Ignorant but trying.
Gliders pop up occasionally in the States. There was one here on CL several months ago. Maybe they come south for the winter and like the longer riding season.
Old 03-28-18, 10:58 AM
boattail71

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a men's/women's Norman built Western Flyer purchased new by my folks in 1958 from a Western Auto in Wyoming. The men's bike has the much maligned Sturmey SW hub. I also have a more common US made Western Flyer one-speed probably built by Murray.
Attached Images
WesternFlyer.jpg (186.0 KB, 140 views)
Old 03-28-18, 11:18 AM

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

If I'm understanding correctly, you have two different anti-rotation washer sets -- one for each of the possible dropout widths you may encounter.

I think you are talking about part #20 Part# HMW155 and HMW494.
Yes, two different anti-rotation washers. One is like HMW155. The other doesn't show in Sheldon's list, the tabs that fit in the dropout slot are straight, not curvy, and the washer's outside diameter is slightly bigger. But they fit the same size slot and axle. I could use either but HMW155 is a snugger fit. My real confusion was whether both sets are supposed to be used, one inside the dropouts, the other on the outside. But now I think no--either type could go inside or outside the dropout, but if used on the inside, I'd want to have a plain flatwasher under the axle nut. (The photo shows the difference.)
Attached Images
SturmeyWashers.jpg (449.2 KB, 125 views)
Old 03-28-18, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Yes, two different anti-rotation washers. One is like HMW155. The other doesn't show in Sheldon's list, the tabs that fit in the dropout slot are straight, not curvy, and the washer's outside diameter is slightly bigger. But they fit the same size slot and axle. I could use either but HMW155 is a snugger fit. My real confusion was whether both sets are supposed to be used, one inside the dropouts, the other on the outside. But now I think no--either type could go inside or outside the dropout, but if used on the inside, I'd want to have a plain flatwasher under the axle nut. (The photo shows the difference.)
BTSOOM. I don't think I've ever seen one of those. Unless there is a difference in thickness to adjust for sllightly different dropout spacing, I don't know. Can't find a matching picture in the SA stuff from SJS, which seems to have the most complete selection of SA.
Old 03-28-18, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
I use the anti rotation washers on the outside of the dropout. Easier to install that way. I prefer the type on the left. They allow more room to adjust chain tension.
Old 03-28-18, 01:15 PM

BTSOOM.
Ha! I don't think it will make a big difference which I use. Just glad I found a NOS axle so I'm not clapping on another old clapped out one. Just for the record, I love the English bikes with these 3-speed hubs and it bothers me to see so many unappreciated, abandoned here on the sidewalk, getting beat up by the elements until eventually there's nothing left. The open frame (girls) models especially get no respect. Also I'm glad after all these years to have an excuse to rebuild one. I've never tried that before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.