Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you obey traffic signals?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Do you obey traffic signals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 10:18 AM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
You haven't viewed many of JoeyBike's videos, have you?
I have, and based on what I have seen I have to say that I am surprised that he hasn't been involved in a serious crash yet.
Old 09-18-17, 10:28 AM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Imagine coming down a hill with a stop sign at a T intersection. At the bottom, you're taking a left and going up a hill. You can see that the road is empty for half a mile on both sides and there's no traffic on the road on which you're traveling. Not a car or a human being anywhere in sight.

Is anyone really going to come to a complete stop in that scenario?
Yes, Jon C., I will come to a complete stop in that scenario. WHY shouldn't I?
Old 09-18-17, 10:31 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
Yes. I am not trying to win the Tour de France and I assume most others here are not on TDF teams. Disobeying the law saves you a few seconds. If you are tight on time then maybe you should have left a few minutes earlier. If you are training for the TDF then perhaps city streets are not the best training ground?
Well said Raqball. IF one is so pressed for time that they "have" to run red lights and stop signs whether they're on a bike (both motor and bicycle) or in a car, then they need to leave EARLIER so they are not is so much of a hurry that they have to run red lights and stop signs. How hard is it to leave early enough?
Old 09-18-17, 10:33 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I was trying to say it's a bit hypocritical for a cyclist to claim that it's OK to violate traffic laws because "who are cyclists a danger to?", but that pedestrians shouldn't jaywalk... who are pedestrians a danger to? (/s)

A car driver, attempting to avoid a cyclist, might hit another car, a pedestrian, a cyclist, and might himself be injured or killed. Same applies to pedestrians jumping out into vehicular (car, bikes) traffic.

Traffic tends to move more efficiently when everyone follows the rules.
Steve
Steve,

Agreed, sadly too many feel otherwise.

Same Roads
Same Rules
Same Rights
Old 09-18-17, 10:35 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I'd say motorists need to hold themselves to a higher standard, and there's less incentive for this when they see cyclists behaving recklessly and inconsiderately.
Steve
+1,000,00

Same Roads
Same Rules
Same Rights
Old 09-18-17, 10:49 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
Having this conversation more times than I want to count, I think we need a national conversation on road usage by vehicle type. and pedestrian. Current rules, even though some include bicycles, are not focused enough on actual bicylist behavior. Some changes like the 3 foot passing rule is an example of the type of change required. Many others have been mentioned here.
-
All of our disareements are wrapped around improving safety. Some proclaim following existing code is the best approach. Others feel there is no advantage and no safer to improvise. But it is our desire for safer streets that bring us together.

I suggest to take the energy and time put into these posts to advocate for changes in local and national laws that make bicycling safer and fun. For those convinced current traffic codes work, your job has been done.

For those that feel that cyclists have not been fully considered as unique road users as it relates to local code changes for stop signs, traffic lights, parking lot ordinances, passing laws, vulnerable user laws, etc, let's reach out to our local bike advocacy group, DOT, LAB etc. One email to any of these groups would be a better use of time.

I plan to devote my time that way. And will join conversations here that provide ideas and support that cyclists require traffic codes unique to them.
Actually debade, I'd have to say that the real problem is that back when the automobile first came out that the automobile industry (at least in this country) did a d@mned good PR job of convincing NOT only the general public but law makers that the automobile was the only "real" way to get around.

The next time that you are on the road look at the cars passing you, how many of them are SOV's (Single Occupant Vehicles)? Look at the Mazda commercials, they're all about speed, i.e. their catchphrase is "Zoom, zoom." Then there are commercials such as "The General" and "Good2Go" car insurance that poke fun at anyone who uses anything other than a privately owned car for transportation.

Instead of spending time, money and energy on passing a law that I have serious doubts as to how effective it is, I'd much rather see that time, money and energy spent on improving public transportation.
Old 09-18-17, 10:58 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elocs
Well, I was with you until you threw sidewalk riding into the mix because in my city it is legal to ride a bike on the sidewalks and even in a crosswalk and not a violation of any traffic law here.
But there are many here who are completely convinced that they know all there is to know about cycling and how to ride, and if you don't believe it, just ask them.
elocs,

Here in Florida it is also legal for anyone regardless of their age or wheel size to operate a bicycle on the sidewalk. When they do so they take on the same rights and responsibilities as a pedestrian.

Same Roads
Same Rules
Same Rights
Old 09-18-17, 10:59 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
@Digital_Cowboy, you can multi quote a bunch of messages instead of replying one by one, unless your intent is to increase you post count
Old 09-18-17, 11:00 AM

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
I have, and based on what I have seen I have to say that I am surprised that he hasn't been involved in a serious crash yet.
Everything is safe until something happens.

BTW he doesn't condone ninja or salmon riding. Ironic.
Old 09-18-17, 12:13 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
Actually debade, I'd have to say that the real problem is that back when the automobile first came out that the automobile industry (at least in this country) did a d@mned good PR job of convincing NOT only the general public but law makers that the automobile was the only "real" way to get around.

The next time that you are on the road look at the cars passing you, how many of them are SOV's (Single Occupant Vehicles)? Look at the Mazda commercials, they're all about speed, i.e. their catchphrase is "Zoom, zoom." Then there are commercials such as "The General" and "Good2Go" car insurance that poke fun at anyone who uses anything other than a privately owned car for transportation.

Instead of spending time, money and energy on passing a law that I have serious doubts as to how effective it is, I'd much rather see that time, money and energy spent on improving public transportation.
No argument with supporting public transportation. It is not exclusive however of Active Transportation. They need to work in tandem (first mile/last mile) for public transportation to being effective in most cities.
Old 09-18-17, 01:26 PM
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 224 Posts
I look both ways, even down one-way streets, and proceed when there is a gap big enough to get through without causing anyone else to react. Dogs, cats, even monkeys can do it. I have seen rats do it.
Old 09-18-17, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts

Conservation of momentum.

(That's why I wouldn't. Which does not of course mean you shouldn't. You should do whatever works for you.)
Old 09-18-17, 07:14 PM

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Imagine coming down a hill with a stop sign at a T intersection. At the bottom, you're taking a left and going up a hill. You can see that the road is empty for half a mile on both sides and there's no traffic on the road on which you're traveling. Not a car or a human being anywhere in sight.

Is anyone really going to come to a complete stop in that scenario?

Me as well. We get into cycling for fitness most of us, not to be race leaders. If you have to stop you get extra exercise taking off again, what's the big deal? If someone wants to race, you do it in the proper events, you want to ride road, obey the laws like we expect drivers to.

I'm really getting quite sick of all the cyclists here who claim it's ok and regularly break these laws in their "Look at me" videos.
Old 09-18-17, 07:22 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I look both ways, even down one-way streets, and proceed when there is a gap big enough to get through without causing anyone else to react. Dogs, cats, even monkeys can do it. I have seen rats do it.
Interesting that you compare your mental processes and onroad behavior to that of a dog and a rat. Your posts take on a whole new dimension now. Thanks for the heads up
Old 09-18-17, 07:26 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SylvainG
@Digital_Cowboy, you can multi quote a bunch of messages instead of replying one by one, unless your intent is to increase you post count
Unemployed web designer?
Old 09-18-17, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts
I wonder where all these people who put their feet down at stop signs are riding. I've never seen them in real life.
Old 09-18-17, 07:55 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Conservation of momentum.

(That's why I wouldn't. Which does not of course mean you shouldn't. You should do whatever works for you.)
I'm sorry, but unless I have stopped in too high of a gear, I have NEVER had any problems in getting back up to speed from a stop.
Old 09-18-17, 08:14 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I wonder where all these people who put their feet down at stop signs are riding. I've never seen them in real life.
They exist solely on the internets. You'd be more successful finding a snipe or a unicorn than a cyclist who puts a foot down at every single stop sign and red light.

I've never in my life blown a stop sign... but I haven't come to a full stop at every single one of them either. When I roll up to a 4-way at 4 o'clock in the morning and there isn't a single car on the roads, who precisely would I be stopping for? Even the letter of the law is still asleep at that hour.
Old 09-18-17, 08:19 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6005 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,629 Posts
Wow, 6 consecutive posts on the same thread. I guess you feel stongly.

HOWEVER, (and not interested in debating this, so this is it).

Folks always seem to posit only two polar options, obey the law 100% of the time and blow through red lights and stops, with implied wild abandon.

In the real world, while the law may be lack and white, real life is a spectrum, with these being polar extremes. Plenty of people are very successfully negotiating the middle ground, and riding with reasonable care and safety, despite not meeting the letter of the law.

So, as far as I'm concerned, any and everyone can make his own decision about where on that continuum they're comfortable, and ride accordingly.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-18-17, 09:34 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,806 Times in 1,802 Posts
Same Roads
Same Rules
Same Rights
Originally Posted by coominya
...you want to ride road, obey the laws like we expect drivers to.

I'm really getting quite sick of all the cyclists here who claim it's ok and regularly break these laws...
An explanation of the Idaho Stop from an Idaho bicycle patrol police officer, published in an Idaho newspaper, clarifies what it means and why it works.

It's not just to endow cyclists with special privileges. It makes the roads safer for everyone.

"Shut up, drivers. Shut up, bicyclists. Here are the real Idaho bike laws"

“People just don’t understand what the laws are,” says Boise Police officer Andy Johnson, “and they believe they know what the laws are.”

Johnson knows that motorists struggle seeing a bicycle pausing at a red light, then taking off. Even if it’s legal, like, it’s not fair!

“Cars look at that,” Johnson says, “and then they think, ‘Who is this guy?’ ”

But it’s proven to be an effective law, says Jimmy Hallyburton, founder of Boise Bicycle Project. In the past couple of years, he’s been contacted by other cities interested in adopting Idaho stop law — particularly the stop sign aspect.

“It increases traffic flow,” Hallyburton says, “basically by getting people through the intersection faster.”
Old 09-19-17, 10:04 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
who is claiming to put a foot down and why?
Old 09-19-17, 03:44 PM

Unemployed web designer?
Lol what?
Old 09-20-17, 12:48 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Lol what?
Well DC has been posting on the forum regularly for 8 years and I was confused as to why you would want to educating them on the nuances of tidy posting? The only logical answer I could come up with (aside from the insulting one of course) is that your specialty is web design, coupled with the fact you have a lot of time on your hands
Old 09-20-17, 10:47 AM

Well DC has been posting on the forum regularly for 8 years and I was confused as to why you would want to educating them on the nuances of tidy posting? The only logical answer I could come up with (aside from the insulting one of course) is that your specialty is web design, coupled with the fact you have a lot of time on your hands
Well, your logic is wrong Mr Spock
Old 09-21-17, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm color blind behind the handlebars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.