Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 41 refugee thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 06:00 AM
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love Specialized Rib cages. Never lost a bottle with them and have put them on all my bikes.
Old 06-26-17, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Rev, I put my 10-year-old Arundel Dave-Os on my Allez Sprint. If I wanted to spend the money on new cages, I'd get Mandibles, which I have on my Argon.

At this point, I don't think I'd get any cage other than an Arundel. They're expensive, but they work incredibly well and last a long time. Those Dave-Os have survived multiple crashes - including one collision with a car.
Old 06-26-17, 07:22 AM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
I love Specialized Rib cages. Never lost a bottle with them and have put them on all my bikes.
Counterpoint: I don't like them for anything other than a road race on especially rough roads. Using those cages in a fast crit would mean I'd never get to drink.

... uh, in case unclear, it's because it's hard to get the bottles out of those cages.

Last edited by globecanvas; 06-26-17 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mandibles are the one I wouldn't put on and I ride a lot of incredibly rough roads.

Frame size and mount placement factor in to a greater amount than most will recognize. Add to that how new and unmarked, thus slippery, you insist all your bottles be.
Old 06-26-17, 09:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Campy Hiddenset showed up today. I get the Campagnolo mystique in this part and this part alone. There just isn't anything special about bike parts these days. This is uncommonly good. Bike falling over because there's no friction keeping the bars from rotating good.
Old 07-05-17, 03:21 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
...There just isn't anything special about bike parts these days. ...
You apparently have not held an Extralite stem or GELU saddle.
Old 07-05-17, 04:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I normally just hold onto the handlebars and .my butt is honestly to narrow and my sit bones too sharp for any sensation approximating holding onto something back there. Yes on the stem. Never seen the saddle

You know exactly what I meant and by no means is that headset a boutique part like the ones you mention. I'd rate the THM fork on my bike as special too, but not boutique special like a Clavicula crank. Special because of how well it works not how special I feel because I own a boutique part.
Old 07-13-17, 04:14 PM

... Yes on the stem. ...

... Special because of how well it works not how special I feel because I own a boutique part.
So you have held an Extralite stem, looked down it, felt inside and you post that? I find that someone surprising.

The Extralite is 60% (82g) the mass of an equivalent stem. The same performance, 40% less mass.

For me, the same function for 40% lighter means - it works better.
Like a 12 lb bike vs a 20 lb bike that are both as stiff, I say the 12lb works better than the 20lb bike.
Old 07-13-17, 04:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oddly enough I feel an ounce of prevention better in most circumstances. Irrelevant as it may be in a theoretical conversation, I have broken a great many things by leveraging physics in ways that didn't rely totally on gravity. Though I could certainly go the bespoke route, or merely boutique, building a bike up. I live in the real world where that which might act to make me special. Man hasn't yet found a way to buy, bottle, or beget.
Old 07-13-17, 04:41 PM

So you really haven't used an Extralite stem. When did you hold one?
Old 07-13-17, 05:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Friend put one on his WW amalgam of many current trends bike he built. I oohed, I aahed, I put it on the scale and stared at the tiny little number, I stood there while he torqued it down and then I rode it a bit.

As much as you try to derail my train of thought. That stem is of very limited interest. Whereas I could walk into any bike shop and say "Campy headset" with a good chance they'd have one or order it immediately and easily. Not much in the greater bike world still has that level of quality and consistency worthy of mentioning a half century on from making a name for itself.
Old 07-13-17, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just called the shop down the road and asked after an Extra-Lite stem. Do you really want to know what their reply was? Hint: not Extra-Lite.
Old 07-13-17, 05:43 PM

...There just isn't anything special about bike parts these days. ...
Originally Posted by Doge
You apparently have not held an Extralite stem or GELU saddle.
... Yes on the stem. Never seen the saddle...
So you have held an Extralite stem, looked down it, felt inside and you post that? I find that someone surprising.

The Extralite is 60% (82g) the mass of an equivalent stem. The same performance, 40% less mass.
So you really haven't used an Extralite stem. When did you hold one?
I just called the shop down the road and asked after an Extra-Lite stem. Do you really want to know what their reply was? Hint: not Extra-Lite.
Send me their number. They sound quite uninformed, as do you.

Did you ask them if they held one?

I mean you are all into function/works and argue with me over something seems you know little about. Then you call a shop - why would they know anything about it?
If they held one, how many have they had returned broken? True - they have T20 Ti bolts that if you do not torque to spec, you might break them - the bolts. If you do install to spec, they are good for Paris Roubaix. My kid does MTB rides on his road bike with them.

But yea - there are lots of special things in bike parts these days.

Last edited by Doge; 07-13-17 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 07:07 PM

Friend put one on his WW amalgam of many current trends bike he built. I oohed, I aahed, I put it on the scale and stared at the tiny little number, I stood there while he torqued it down and then I rode it a bit.
You miss the point others on this forum have not.
I am not a WW. The stuff I build with is stiffer and stronger than your stock World Tour bike.
I use a steel 24mm BB spindle.
I use steel pedal shafts and wider pedals.
I have extra BB setups for PF30 etc as it puts the bearings 30% wider.
I have the hub spokes wider.
If I wanted to cut more, I'd have to give up something. Yet, exactly the opposite of what you post I'm about ~12lbs is about where it comes out - without an Extralite stem.

...Whereas I could walk into any bike shop and say "Campy headset" with a good chance they'd have one or order it immediately and easily. Not much in the greater bike world still has that level of quality and consistency worthy of mentioning a half century on from making a name for itself.
It just doesn't work as well as Shimano. But sometimes you have to give up quality and performance if you want the very best.

As far as Italian manufacturing - in a short drive from Campy - Well yea there is. Extralite.
Old 07-13-17, 08:26 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
does extralight make a 70* 130mm stem
Old 07-13-17, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf
does extralight make a 70* 130mm stem
Not that I see. 120mm is the largest stock. But it is stiffer, lighter and tougher.
Buy it and put it over the twin's bed. Give them something to aspire to. It is *special*.

Edit - Add. I'm not into this because of weight. There may be lighter, although that would be rare. It is just a *special* part. I started my life designing machine parts. I have parts on my desk that some machinist did that I think - are special. The Extralite parts are all that. I think they are reasonably priced. Knock 1/2 to a pound off your bike with their stem, seat post and GELU seat - or give it to the twins to play with.
I kept the post/seat combo in my trunk for two months. I saw the Chief Engineer at a SoCal aerospace company in a parking lot and called him over to hold it. After his initial, typical "this Doge guy is weird" he was amazed and called his CNC guy over. It is special stuff. That was my comment.

Extralite.JPG

Last edited by Doge; 07-13-17 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-14-17, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not that I see. 120mm is the largest stock. But it is stiffer, lighter and tougher.
Buy it and put it over the twin's bed. Give them something to aspire to. It is *special*.

Edit - Add. I'm not into this because of weight. There may be lighter, although that would be rare. It is just a *special* part. I started my life designing machine parts. I have parts on my desk that some machinist did that I think - are special. The Extralite parts are all that. I think they are reasonably priced. Knock 1/2 to a pound off your bike with their stem, seat post and GELU seat - or give it to the twins to play with.
I kept the post/seat combo in my trunk for two months. I saw the Chief Engineer at a SoCal aerospace company in a parking lot and called him over to hold it. After his initial, typical "this Doge guy is weird" he was amazed and called his CNC guy over. It is special stuff. That was my comment.

Attachment 571814
Extralite makes some great parts. I put one on a bike when I was dong an all-out hill climb attempt; the weight first caught my attention, but like @Doge one doesn't have to spend a long time to see the Hyperstem is a special part. Even though I was going for a light build, a light-but-unreliable part is of no value.

I used their 120mm (can remember if it was -8 or -12*) stem--and even in that length it was plenty stiff for a hill climb with a sprint at the end.

They also make some great hubs that I used for -- gasp! -- mountain biking!
Old 07-14-17, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Unfortunately, that Extralight stem isn't really all that stiff: Stem Review - Fairwheel Bikes Blog.

Though it does excel in stiffness to weight.
Old 07-14-17, 03:45 PM
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Just bought another power2max. Don't currently have a bike to put it on, but a cross/gravel bike is in the works, so this should satiate that. So glad I've moved past the garmin vectors. Consistent numbers are great!
Old 07-14-17, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Unfortunately, that Extralight stem isn't really all that stiff: Stem Review - Fairwheel Bikes Blog.

Though it does excel in stiffness to weight.
my point was special.
It is plenty stiff, about ideal paired with a carbon bar (ENVE SES - less special)
Old 07-14-17, 08:38 PM

I think these are kinda special.
MASI Extralite rearSmall.jpg

Recon11-29.jpg
Old 07-15-17, 08:14 PM
Cat 2

I saw another Venge Vias Disc today during the race I did. 2nd one I've seen ridden in person.. Really like it a lot. I know without a doubt my next race bike will have disk brakes at this point. Whether it's a venge or not is a different story.

Then I was poking around on the 'gram and saw a comment from @specializedbikes that make me go look. They aren't selling the old venge vias anymore in 2018. They've gone completly to the disc model which is an interesting moment for the bike industry that the most popular aero superbike (from my small, personal smapling) no longer even offers a model with caliper brakes above the baseline.
Old 08-09-17, 03:34 PM
Cat 2

Has anyone used the TRP hy/rd disc brakes? In the process of planning the cx bike build and these seem like a good option. Long term plan would be to use the Ultegra grouppo off of my road bike with the cross bike then buy a new road bike (also with discs) at the beginning of next race season. I'm pretty much all in on disc brakes at this point, only problem is shifters and wheels.

On that note if anyone has some T.A wheel reccomendations.. I've seen the Specialized axis and like those. Also seen the enve 4.5 AR's and really like those but $$$$.
Old 09-16-17, 12:48 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Liked 3,276 Times in 1,718 Posts
Tubeless newb question here:

I took my MTB to get new sealant in my tires, and found that it went flat afterward. No biggie, just needs to be spun around a bit I thought. So I rode it around and the sealant didn't fill what it needed to - a leak right at the valve stem. I've tried tightening and moving around the little nut around the stem and inflating it multiple times, but it continues to leak right at the rim/stem interface.

Anyone have any pro tips for me? Could it be that it was installed improperly and/or I just need a new stem? I'd like to cover all my bases before I inconvenience myself with bringing it back to the shop.

Thanks,
Tmonk.
Old 09-16-17, 01:58 PM
Cat 2

Originally Posted by TMonk
Tubeless newb question here:

I took my MTB to get new sealant in my tires, and found that it went flat afterward. No biggie, just needs to be spun around a bit I thought. So I rode it around and the sealant didn't fill what it needed to - a leak right at the valve stem. I've tried tightening and moving around the little nut around the stem and inflating it multiple times, but it continues to leak right at the rim/stem interface.

Anyone have any pro tips for me? Could it be that it was installed improperly and/or I just need a new stem? I'd like to cover all my bases before I inconvenience myself with bringing it back to the shop.

Thanks,
Tmonk.
I've broken a few valve stems. If you over tighten the nut, the rubber seal can pull through the rim and make it not work anymore. Check that, check to make sure that the valve core is tightened all the way in and the valve is all the way closed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.