Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-23, 12:08 PM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Well with spring just a few more months away, it’s 36 right now, the crew here at Trash Panda are lazily working on some of the smaller task to get ready for the sporting season.

The colorful Cornelo in the stand for a little dusting and I was hoping new tape

I love the classic look of this bespoke artisan hand stitched suede but I just need a bit of padding and fatter bar. I do admire you guys who ride roads that rival the famous cobbles of the Hell of the North and gravel grind on suede and cotton tape but It's just not for me.

I hadn’t realized I actually did the the correct way when I installed it way back around 2009.

A tool I didn’t think I’d ever use working on a bike. Yep still donning a mask occasionally, mainly when it's cold and windy early in the morning waling to the truck and I had a terrible cold this week so in deference to my fellow Americans I was using one in stores.

Sadly today’s project is “AWoP” {awaiting on parts} as we used to say in the Marines. sadly I tore the new covering and now need to find a new one.

Does anyone know of a source of these in red?
Nice bike looks like Campagnolo Victory transmission
Old 04-02-23, 12:16 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Well with spring just a few more months away, it’s 36 right now, the crew here at Trash Panda are lazily working on some of the smaller task to get ready for the sporting season.

The colorful Cornelo in the stand for a little dusting and I was hoping new tape

I love the classic look of this bespoke artisan hand stitched suede but I just need a bit of padding and fatter bar. I do admire you guys who ride roads that rival the famous cobbles of the Hell of the North and gravel grind on suede and cotton tape but It's just not for me.

I hadn’t realized I actually did the the correct way when I installed it way back around 2009.

A tool I didn’t think I’d ever use working on a bike. Yep still donning a mask occasionally, mainly when it's cold and windy early in the morning waling to the truck and I had a terrible cold this week so in deference to my fellow Americans I was using one in stores.

Sadly today’s project is “AWoP” {awaiting on parts} as we used to say in the Marines. sadly I tore the new covering and now need to find a new one.

Originally Posted by merziac
Maybe not foam but fixie, single speed outfitters have silicone, maybe foam sleeves?
Maybe this?
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-02-23, 12:19 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
merziac I'll check them out

Originally Posted by georges1
Nice bike looks like Campagnolo Victory transmission
Thank You. Triomphe actually, at least the derailleurs, cranks, calipers and HS. I opted for C-Rec era Retrofriction shifter and the larger aero style brake levers from the later '80s.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-02-23, 12:28 PM

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Just finished building up my stripped '79 Holdsworth Professional. Protected with several coats of tung oil to get me through this riding season. Paint (probably) next winter.

Old 04-02-23, 12:36 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Just finished building up my stripped '79 Holdsworth Professional. Protected with several coats of tung oil to get me through this riding season. Paint (probably) next winter.

Keep in mind that any robust protectant/inhibitor needs to be very thoroughly stripped before paint, hot tanking but not too hot is the best way to go about it to make sure you get it all gone.
Old 04-02-23, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Car care day

Likes For repechage:
Old 04-02-23, 03:08 PM

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Must be a Subie!
Old 04-02-23, 03:58 PM

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I think this is a 1973 SekineSHR. It has chrome-moly double butted tubing (it wouldn't surprise me if this were just the main triangle though) and a nice parts mix (suntour derailleurs, dia compe centerpull brakes, SR crank (I think it's that weird SR crank with an odd taper though)). This bike has a nice paint job but that's true of most of the Sekines I've seen. I like the chrome socks and 1/2 fork. The drop outs look decent but I don't recognize them. I think they're some sort of forged drop out.

I plan on entering this into the $100 challenge as I bought the bike for $20 and it has nice tires which is usually the most expensive thing to fix on a used bike. It does have steel alloy rims though as I'll need to swap those out as well as the fugly saddle. My goal is to keep my total costs (exclusive of time) to $30-$40 to get it into A1 riding condition. This is how the bike came to me in the wild:

It looks very decent as is. Not too shabby and wouldn't mind being seen riding it, but for $20 it's a great deal. Some oxidation here and there, but it seems to be a bicycle that someone was actually riding and taking good enough care of. As for steel rims, these look remarkably good. I've seen much, much worse being used, so you might be able to keep the cost of repairs quite low if you're willing to keep them and use them. If not, this is a decent set to keep for another rebuild of some much older bicycle.
I'd probably still take the bicycle apart, it's bound to be missing grease everywhere it should be greased (if it doesn't, kudos to the previous owner). Looking at the photo of the front wheel and the thread on it, I think it's reversed (I think on the rear one too).
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 04-02-23, 04:52 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
It looks very decent as is. Not too shabby and wouldn't mind being seen riding it, but for $20 it's a great deal. Some oxidation here and there, but it seems to be a bicycle that someone was actually riding and taking good enough care of. As for steel rims, these look remarkably good. I've seen much, much worse being used, so you might be able to keep the cost of repairs quite low if you're willing to keep them and use them. If not, this is a decent set to keep for another rebuild of some much older bicycle.
I'd probably still take the bicycle apart, it's bound to be missing grease everywhere it should be greased (if it doesn't, kudos to the previous owner). Looking at the photo of the front wheel and the thread on it, I think it's reversed (I think on the rear one too).
Yeah thanks, I had a hard time turning it down for $20. Good eye on the tires; the chevrons are reversed.

The rust pon the small bits isn't bad and I can deal with it by soaking the parts in rustoleum. Yes I'll overhaul it and replace the consumables. I have a set of alloy wheels lying around with high flange hubs so there is no cost and I'll use those steel wheels on a repair one day. The suntour v rear deralleur and the ratcheting suntour downtube shifters work together nicely. It's not often you pick up a 50 year old bike that shifts well. The chainrings look good. This bike clearly spent a long time as a garage queen. Other than the rust on the small bits, the bike is very clean.

The drop outs are thick, stamped steel (not forged) so I'm guessing it's only the main triangle which is double butted chrome moly.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-02-23 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-02-23, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by bikemig
Yeah thanks, I had a hard time turning it down for $20. Good eye on the tires; the chevrons are reversed.

The rust pon the small bits isn't bad and I can deal with it by soaking the parts in rustoleum. Yes I'll overhaul it and replace the consumables. I have a set of alloy wheels lying around with high flange hubs so there is no cost and I'll use those steel wheels on a repair one day. The suntour v rear deralleur and the ratcheting suntour downtube shifters work together nicely. It's not often you pick up a 50 year old bike that shifts well. The chainrings look good. This bike clearly spent a long time as a garage queen. Other than the rust on the small bits, the bike is very clean.

The drop outs are thick, stamped steel (not forged) so I'm guessing it's only the main triangle which is double butted chrome moly.
With that kind of price one simply has to get the bike. If only to save it from being converted into a fixie I mean, honestly, I would get it even just to clean it up, replace the rims and brake pads and give it away. It looks like a very decent bike, well built. I would take it over any new, low to mid price range, welded bicycle.
As for double butted vs plain gauge tubes, I wouldn't necessarily discard plain gauge tubes as bad. It might still be a very enjoyable ride.
Before I switched to Suntour Vx on my Grand Sprint, I was using Huret Success Titane. Which was fine. But Vx paired with Power Shifters is leagues ahead (sorry, Huret). If someone decided to make a new edition of these and made them as well as Suntour did, I think they would make some good money out of it. Heck, I would probably get a set myself, despite having waaay too many bicycle parts
Old 04-02-23, 09:51 PM
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 835 Posts
Hmmm. Red Grab-Ons. That might be tough if your time machine isn't working properly.

I have a set of four red/purple striped grips in road bar lengths, but I sense that's like you asking for chocolate ice cream and my offering chocolate and vinegar flavor.

I do also have a set of four bright red Spenco road grips as well, enough for one bar.
Old 04-02-23, 11:33 PM

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
I arranged the purchase of this Cannondale before I left CA for TX. I checked a bag full of tools and parts not knowing what It needed. I didn’t check my list twice and now I’m bummed without a chain tool and crank remover. My plan was to go to town with polish and wax but that will have to wait until my next trip to visit this Zero bike. I managed to adjust the bottom bracket and it spins smoothly so I feel good enough about that for a few rides this week. New tires and tubes came with me but I didn’t figure the rim strips were toast on a bike only 31 years old. I’ll be looking for a LBS first thing tomorrow.

1992 SR600 Zero Bike
Old 04-02-23, 11:48 PM
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I arranged the purchase of this Cannondale before I left CA for TX. I checked a bag full of tools and parts not knowing what It needed. I didn’t check my list twice and now I’m bummed without a chain tool and crank remover. My plan was to go to town with polish and wax but that will have to wait until my next trip to visit this Zero bike. I managed to adjust the bottom bracket and it spins smoothly so I feel good enough about that for a few rides this week. New tires and tubes came with me but I didn’t figure the rim strips were toast on a bike only 31 years old. I’ll be looking for a LBS first thing tomorrow.

1992 SR600 Zero Bike
What part of Texas? If near Austin, I can hook you up with tools, etc. Feel free to send a PM.

In any case, cool bike and cool idea
Old 04-03-23, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Hmmm. Red Grab-Ons. That might be tough if your time machine isn't working properly.

I have a set of four red/purple striped grips in road bar lengths, but I sense that's like you asking for chocolate ice cream and my offering chocolate and vinegar flavor.

I do also have a set of four bright red Spenco road grips as well, enough for one bar.
ESI makes silicone and foam in many colors, they are actually thinner than Grab Ons, a bit spendy as you would need 2 sets.
Old 04-03-23, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,757 Times in 966 Posts
A neglected Raleigh Competition GS is purchased from the local. This bike needed front-end attention and that has been addressed. At some point this bike was crashed straight on and the forks were pushed back mightily, a long 2x4 and a 2x4 block were strategically placed and with my feet on the block behind the tips and the long 2x4 braced on the ground an upwards pull was performed. That worked great but the nds needed a little more, and that was done independently minor, side to side was a breeze.

Omg it worked!!! The fork crown is back to square to the headtube. It could probably use the crown to be recutting, but I can do a work-around when setting the crown race.

Its previous owner tired to address the damage. They tried vise the fork and work the steertube with some type of lock wrench putting dings in the steertube as well. I was able to roll out the steertube.

There is one more minor thing, a ding on the seatube, I grabbed a long seatpost to push the dent out from the insides.

I'm certain that this is confusing not seeing the before, or how I jigged the first corrective action so I'll try this performance on the Urago I got last summer.

Here is the after on the forks but before the dent removed on the seatube, and a picture of the Urago that will undergo the same technique all be in reverse.

Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-03-23, 02:04 PM

This BB fixed cup was definitely a challenge. First time ever I had problems with the tried and trusted BB removal toolkit (what's in the photo plus adjustable wrench), the cup wouldn't budge. After soaking it thoroughly with penetrating oil (RD-90) for days it finally came out of its shell today. I'll have to thoroughly clean and examine the htreads inside the BB shell though, there was some resistance for a short moment with every turn. After pulling the cup out I have noticed it has a small crack, whether a result of my previous attempts or something going further back, I do not know. Previous owner removed the stuck seat post by filing it out, so on top of everything, there's a pile of aluminium shavings and dust inside. That all will have to be somehow flushed out. But the cups are off, which is progress.
Well, there's no way I'm getting this tool back and the cup out of it anyway (last time I tried with another cup removed this way, I destroyed the only bench vice I had access to), so I guess it's a good bye for Superbe fixed cup. Not that I can reuse it with a crack. I do have a set of identical Sugino cups, which this essentially is (rebranded as Superbe), so it will do nicely (especially with new bearing balls, the old ones are not in a usable state).
Last thing remaining is the stuck stem. So I think I will go for turning the frame upside down and soaking the expander wedge this way. And let's hope this does the trick. FIngers crossed.

BB removal kit
Old 04-03-23, 11:18 PM
Cantilever believer

This very windy afternoon, I replaced both tires on my "alumicruiser", as the rear tire had an unfortunate cord failure on Friday and I purchased a pair of replacement tires at the bike swap in Tucson yesterday. Went rather smoothly, including moving the Spinskins over.

This is what the inside carcass of the failed tire looked like:

And this is the photo from Friday when I noticed the inappropriate wooble in the tire alignment:

So the alpha bike is restored to full operation, and hopefully all is well.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-03-23, 11:26 PM
Cantilever believer

ESI makes silicone and foam in many colors, they are actually thinner than Grab Ons, a bit spendy as you would need 2 sets.
Those ESI grips look cool, but I noticed the webpage said they're designed for handlebars up to 22 mm diameter - but the typical drop bar diameter is greater than 23 mm.
Old 04-03-23, 11:49 PM

Those ESI grips look cool, but I noticed the webpage said they're designed for handlebars up to 22 mm diameter - but the typical drop bar diameter is greater than 23 mm.
Being silicone they will probably stretch a bit and you might have to futz with them a little.
Old 04-04-23, 12:23 AM
Cantilever believer

Being silicone they will probably stretch a bit and you might have to futz with them a little.
It's all fun n' games until you see that tear propagate up that brand new expensive grip...
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-04-23, 01:13 AM

It's all fun n' games until you see that tear propagate up that brand new expensive grip...
Hence the futzing and careful application of said futzing.
Old 04-04-23, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,757 Times in 966 Posts
Here is the jig
After strategically placed the tough part was getting balanced to apply pressure.

the after

It will still need some individual attention to the tips. Not to far from being buildable.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-04-23, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 62 Posts
This pretty '69 Bottecchia! I have a thread going over on the Road Cycling forum - '69 Bottecchia upgrades & tubeless conversion

Likes For somebikeguy:
Old 04-04-23, 11:06 AM
Malcontent

Bikes: I honestly don't know...

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts

Here’s a quick pic from the kitchen: This 1984 Trek 830 is almost done. I just have to do some finishing touches, including racking it up with some neat Nittos.
Likes For Writenride:
Old 04-04-23, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
I purchased this '73 Nishiki International last week and am going through it. Today, I'll put some smaller chainring spacers in. Maybe rewrap the bars. Not happy with my wrap around the brakes.

Chainring spacing seems to have been altered at some point. While adjusting derailleurs (on stand), the chain dropped and pinched between chainrings. They are 5mm spacers. I am swapping in 3.5 which appear to be what are used in a same year Competition I have.

The seller sent along this pamphlet which came with the bike when his mother bought it

Last edited by streetsurfer; 04-04-23 at 12:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.