Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

No Wave For You

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-23, 08:15 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
When I ride with a large group of local roadies I always try to get out in front and stay there because they all have blinking, strobing LED lighting going so they look like a group of airliners taxiing down a runway. It is a fact that flashing lights can seriously affect some people's health, and of course it makes spots in your eyes which is unsafe. I usually never ride with lights at all, I just have a reflective strip on my messenger back that works great. I do have one small LED light I ride with on the back I may use sometimes if I have to ride before or after sunset, but if I am in a group I shut it off. I agree the lighting on bicycles is ridiculous. I strive to ride like it is 1980 and shun as much of what happened in cycling and in society in general that came after that year as I can.
Old 05-07-23, 09:27 AM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,032 Times in 1,944 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
People that steal cats are the lowest.
could be worse; be a hamburglar. I think Grimace would lose there fries if someone tried copying them.
Old 05-07-23, 09:30 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3512 Post(s)
Liked 3,654 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Almost as enjoyable as the attempting to move as fast as possible wannabe roadie riding down the middle of the bike path making it hard to pass them when there's oncoming riders while having their taillight on its brightest, most seizure inducing flash setting in the middle of the day so you are forced to see it while trying to pass them for a quarter mile. Good times.
Wait, was that me?
  • wannabe roadie - harsh
  • 350 lumen blinking taillight during daytime - check
  • 1100 lumen blinking headlight during daytime - check
  • on a bike path - nope
Phew, not me.

There are too many riders getting flattened by cars around here lately. I really don't care if someone finds my lights annoying. They're for my safety.

Old 05-07-23, 10:14 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10499 Post(s)
Liked 12,026 Times in 6,156 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Wait, was that me?
  • wannabe roadie - harsh
  • 350 lumen blinking taillight during daytime - check
  • 1100 lumen blinking headlight during daytime - check
  • on a bike path - nope
Phew, not me.

There are too many riders getting flattened by cars around here lately. I really don't care if someone finds my lights annoying. They're for my safety.
This is also why all the jerseys and jackets I've purchased in the last year have been brightly colored, with large swaths of a single bright color, in addition to the front and rear flashies and the Varia.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-07-23, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 985 Posts
Does the OP get all bent out of shape by the glare off of water too? Our eyes are well adapted to ignoring small bright points of light (a chief failing of almost all bike lights incidentally). Just look away from the light.
I do share the same burning anger towards people who wear all black riding black bikes though.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 05-07-23, 10:36 AM
climber has-been

Originally Posted by genejockey
This is also why all the jerseys and jackets I've purchased in the last year have been brightly colored, with large swaths of a single bright color, in addition to the front and rear flashies and the Varia.
^ This.

The current fashion of dark and muted earth-toned jersey colors seems just so dumb. Not for me--I seek out only the brightest, eye-popping kits.

I was wearing this old Climb to Kaiser jersey with Team USA bibs the other day, and a guy on the roadside was pointing and laughing, waving his arms and shouting "Ole, ole, ole":

Laugh all you want, roadside guy. At least you saw me.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-07-23, 10:39 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10499 Post(s)
Liked 12,026 Times in 6,156 Posts
Laugh all you want, roadside guy. At least you saw me.
"You must be the worst pirate I've ever heard of!"
"But you HAVE heard of me!"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-07-23, 11:28 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6272 Post(s)
Liked 4,863 Times in 3,352 Posts
Yesterday during the group start of the Century ride that the city puts on every year, there were more than a few people with obscenely bright tail lights flashing on the rear of their bikes. I secretly wished I could wave them the middle finger as I passed by them. Since that's not a proper thing to do, there was no wave for them. Others I'd say hi to or briefly strike up a conversation.

I wondered if it'd be acceptable to ask them to put their lights on a low setting till they got out of the crowd of the group start. But I figured that would only start a fight as most take so much personal offense to the slightest criticism.

I also favor bright colors for clothing. I almost ran over a someone on the trail one time that was dressed in dark clothing that matched the pavement when he'd decided to do push-ups in a very dark shadowed spot in a depression on the trail that was part of a rise that was twisty making the view ahead difficult. Especially since the day was very bright sunlight and going in and out of those shadowed areas plays heck with some of us that have old eyes slow to adjust.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-07-23 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-07-23, 01:23 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Does the OP get all bent out of shape by the glare off of water too? Our eyes are well adapted to ignoring small bright points of light (a chief failing of almost all bike lights incidentally). Just look away from the light.
I do share the same burning anger towards people who wear all black riding black bikes though.
Being told to look away from the very bright flashing light directly in front of you on a path is incredibly idiotic if the point of these lights are supposed to be promoting safety. And no, the human eye is not suited to dealing with very bright strobing. There's no way your pupils can adapt that fast. I can deal with other sources of glare, but putting the stupid light on the front of the thing you want me to avoid hitting is all kinds of stupid.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-07-23, 01:34 PM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I strive to ride like it is 1980 and shun as much of what happened in cycling and in society in general that came after that year as I can.
OK, Boomer.
Old 05-07-23, 02:39 PM
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Lombard
OK, Boomer.
Hashtag not all Boomers.

(But I’m still not convinced disc brakes on road bikes are a good thing.)

Old 05-07-23, 02:44 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Lombard
OK, Boomer.

Shunning 43 years of everything has got to be a full time job.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-07-23, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18483 Post(s)
Liked 15,778 Times in 7,407 Posts
When I ride with a large group of local roadies.
I would never join a group that would have you as a member.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-07-23, 02:57 PM

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
^ This.

The current fashion of dark and muted earth-toned jersey colors seems just so dumb. Not for me--I seek out only the brightest, eye-popping kits....
i don't really have a "fashion" preference about my cycling tops, but it does seem the current fashion limits the choices somewhat if you like fitted technical shirts rather than jerseys proper.

i LOVE these shirts for long road rides in typical norcal weather, but they only come in dark colors, so i only wear them for weekend daytime rides. https://www.ornotbike.com/collection...40002394259521 or https://www.ornotbike.com/collection...32315172290625

the rapha equivalent isn't quite as comfy or effectively anti-stink (the ornot ones NEVER seem to smell no matter how much i sweat in them) and occasionally come in brighter colors, but not now. https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/m...uct/TLT01XXAMC

obviously this is because the powers that be think these are only used for riding off road, where you'd rather the bears not see you.
Old 05-07-23, 05:05 PM

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 102 Posts
I strive to ride like it is 1980 and shun as much of what happened in cycling and in society in general that came after that year as I can.
Then why in tarnation do you feel the need to come on here to push your beliefs and post all the nuances about how you feel?

I'm a big time believer in running daytime lights, both front and rear. I had a friend that was going 30 mph and was hit head on by a car turning in front of him. I have no doubt that a front light would have prevented that collision. I've had more than two motorists comment about how visible my rear blinky was. Go ahead, do your thing. Darwinism at work.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 05-07-23, 05:06 PM

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 102 Posts
Duplicate, duh.
Old 05-07-23, 05:35 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2627 Post(s)
Liked 5,754 Times in 2,963 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Yesterday during the group start of the Century ride that the city puts on every year, there were more than a few people with obscenely bright tail lights flashing on the rear of their bikes. I secretly wished I could wave them the middle finger as I passed by them. Since that's not a proper thing to do, there was no wave for them. Others I'd say hi to or briefly strike up a conversation.

I wondered if it'd be acceptable to ask them to put their lights on a low setting till they got out of the crowd of the group start. But I figured that would only start a fight as most take so much personal offense to the slightest criticism.

I also favor bright colors for clothing. I almost ran over a someone on the trail one time that was dressed in dark clothing that matched the pavement when he'd decided to do push-ups in a very dark shadowed spot in a depression on the trail that was part of a rise that was twisty making the view ahead difficult. Especially since the day was very bright sunlight and going in and out of those shadowed areas plays heck with some of us that have old eyes slow to adjust.
because the summer temps are rising in Wa I bought 3 mostly white jerseys for visibility and to help keep me a bit cooler. I scratch my head when I see people wearing all black or dark gray in the heat. Maybe that’s why I don’t drive a fashionable black vehicle as well. But then I never got the black “aggressive” thing anyway

Last edited by rsbob; 05-07-23 at 05:38 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-08-23, 05:41 AM
Tragically Ignorant

So getting back to OP, I took the point to be that he finds it offensive that people will use lights in a manner that is entirely inappropriate to "increase visibility" on a bike path while wearing dark clothing, which definitely does not promote visibility. Since the effect of these lights when used inappropriately on a bike path is to hurt other people's vision, the contradiction is clearly fair game.

Wear what you want, but if you shine your friggin light in my eyes, I'm going to say something.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-08-23, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I find bright flashing lights to be very disorientating and actually nauseating.

I can't wave to you because one hand is shielding my eyes from your gawd awful offensive 20 dollar POS light and the other is on the bar.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-08-23, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 297 Posts
All that asphalt in the OP,I thought it was going to be about road rash.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 05-08-23, 01:25 PM
Expired Member

Quoted: 3715 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,824 Posts
When I ride with a large group of local roadies....
Hard to picture. I'd guess your antics would be about as welcome as Larry's.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-08-23, 01:32 PM
Pedalist

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I was about 27 years old at the time, on my motorcycle running in daylight with the high beam on. Just as all the nerdy magazines suggested as being the safest way to run. A fellow in a Volvo wagon followed me into a parking lot and explained to me why running with the high beam on is not only rude, but unsafe for other motorists.
After that I understood that I was only thinking of myself, not the other guy. Run on low beam now, and have not had any issues in 30 years.
I took the Experienced Rider Course three times in ten years, and each time they told us to use high beam in daylight. I ran like that for years and never had anyone flash me or approach me about it. I was actually considering a headlight modulator just before I quit motorcycles.

As for the guy who told you it was rude, obviously he didn't like it, but he didn't know why you did it. I put my safety before other people's ideas of how I should ride. Florida changed everything because people here either don't see your high beam, or they're drunk or playing with a phone. It's the reason why I quit motorcycles.
Old 05-08-23, 01:44 PM
Pedalist

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I would never join a group that would have you as a member.
You probably weren't joking but har, har, har, anyway.
Old 05-08-23, 06:49 PM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by DaleDee
I took the Experienced Rider Course three times in ten years, and each time they told us to use high beam in daylight. I ran like that for years and never had anyone flash me or approach me about it. I was actually considering a headlight modulator just before I quit motorcycles.

As for the guy who told you it was rude, obviously he didn't like it, but he didn't know why you did it. I put my safety before other people's ideas of how I should ride. Florida changed everything because people here either don't see your high beam, or they're drunk or playing with a phone. It's the reason why I quit motorcycles.
Your instructor steered you wrong. There may be times that using your high beams is recommended. Doing so on a narrow 2 lane roads with minimal separation between vehicles can adversely affect motorists vision.
Old 05-08-23, 09:53 PM

Bikes: A Janky Schwinn

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
You with your asphalt colored helmet, asphalt colored hair, asphalt colored neck beard, asphalt colored jersey, asphalt colored shorts, asphalt colored socks, asphalt colored shoes, asphalt colored bike with your 30 dollar Amazon bought DaySun brand 5000 lumen light directed level out across the dedicated bike path. No sir, no wave for you. I won't even look toward you. Out of necessity, I have to look away. You are probably the kind of mouth-breathing, skinny jean wearing, latte drinking nerd who rejoices in the "at least they see me" mindset, never considering that you'd loathe someone who drove around with the high beams continuously burning in their lifted Chevy pick up truck with the same twisted philosophy.

Maybe, drop the luminous intensity down by a few thousand lumens and angle the light down, rather than directly at eye level. It's a bike path with no motor vehicles for God's sake, maybe even consider that you don't need light at all. That or perhaps instead of dressing in 100% asphalt colored garb, throw a bit of bright coloring into the mix. Maybe?

Idiots.
You, sir, are the type of person I wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire. How pompous can someone get!! You will rot for your ignorance of sensitivity! I have never felt such disdain for someone. You are the worst!

Last edited by aaronM46; 05-08-23 at 09:59 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.