Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Had a bad experience riding yesterday....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Had a bad experience riding yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 09:42 AM
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
In those cases, I pull out my phone and take a photo of the license plate and the driver's face if possible. Even if your phone doesn't have a camera, just play act like it does. That usually calms these yayhoos right down.
I just have a little dumbphone flip phone that does have a camera that I never use.

I did read a story someone told on one of the forums that some driver was harassing him and all he had was his Garmin GPS on his bike so he held it up like it had a camera on it and the driver took off right away. haha good story.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 08-08-13, 10:59 AM
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 2,397 Times in 897 Posts
Don't let the terrorists win....
Old 08-08-13, 11:30 AM

Bikes: CAAD10 Rival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Luckily, I've never had anything like this happen to me. Some drivers have honked and passed me, but that's about it. After reading many stories like the one here, I almost always treat the cars as hostile entities and make sure that I'm very careful to give them enough space to pass. In the event that someone is pissed, it doesn't affect me because I know I did everything right. On the other hand, there are cyclists that don't share the road well and ride in the middle of a single lane road unnecessarily. For example, on mountain rides where there are a lot of blind spots due to bends, I always hug the side of the road just to be safe because some drivers go to the mountains to race. I've seen a lot of cyclists even in some of my group rides take the entire road resulting in road rage a few times. There are also cyclists who run red lights and stop signs unsafely. Some of these people are responsible for giving the rest of us bad rap. If I see a car already stopped at a stop sign, I always stop to let it pass because I never trust the drivers to let me pass, even if that means breaking my downhill speed. Now if a car is just approaching the stop sign, then I won't necessarily stop. Last year something funny happened - one of our group members was lagging behind and apparently got a ticket when he failed to stop at a stop sign. I regret not asking him exactly how the violation was described in the ticket while I had the chance.
Old 08-08-13, 11:34 AM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I yell at myself for going slow and clogging up the streets, why expect any less of others?
Old 08-08-13, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
This sort of thing happens to me a few times a year, but it never happens to a friend of mine that openly carries a G20 in a holster above his center jersey pocket.
Glock, meh, too heavy for cycling... grin...I've thought of figuring a way to zip-tie a nylon holster to my bars for my Kahr P45. Not for people but for dogs in my rural area. Not that I want to shoot a dog mind you.

(Fun fact: in Oregon, an open-carry state, it is perfectly legal to carry as long as it's in plain sight. I could cycle through downtown Eug with a loaded AR15 strapped to my back. )

My story isn't as good as many here because I really try to ride where there's few cars and I have that option out here. I rode 50 miles day before yesterday and only even stopped one time, at a stop sign, because I had to. Anyway, last week I fell over at a stop sign for the first time... The classic noob move; got overwhelmed by my options and waited too long then couldn't unclip. It was a hard fall that caused my chain to jump off the front rings. However I didn't know that, and in my embarrassment I was trying to get my stupid ass out of the intersection, so I hopped back on my bike... and wasn't going anywhere fast (slight downhill so I was at least moving)... a white-trash queen in a gnarly old Suburban came around the corner and did her best well-honed trashy screech at me.... "what are you doing going so slow, get off the road, you bleeping bleepity-bleep!"

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she didn't see me fall over and didn't realize I was a bit dazed and coasting on a non-functional bike. Still, it rattled me, and I was pissed.

My "bike computer" is a GPS app for my iPhone which is in a clear case on the top tube. In other words my camera/ phone is very accessible. I've thought several times that in a confrontation I'd whip that bad boy out and start documenting, as well as (calmly and manfully, this is a fantasy, don't forget) explain to the wigging driver that I'd be happy to dial 911 and get a deputy over to explain the rules of the road.

.... but the Kahr probably helps even more with alla dat. It'd just look so... aggressive.
Old 08-08-13, 11:46 AM

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
People driving like impatient jerks are fairly common and I almost always ignore them or give a sarcastic wave. However on occassion, people have genuinely put my life in danger because of their own rage / depersonalization issues. I must admit I have a real problem with this and have been known to act like a fool. In general, this is another good reason to ride in groups: people are generally less willing to **** with eight guys together rather than one alone...
Old 08-08-13, 11:48 AM
An un-oiled squeaky wheel

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo, Mercian King of Mercia (Floppy); Fuji 500X; GT backwoods; Tour de Suisse; Diamond Back Interval

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I've found smiling and waiving can be quite effective. It pisses them off that they didn't get the reaction they wanted.

And +1 on the camera phone if things get ugly.
This is my favorite way to handle it. It confuses the fire breathing knuckle draggers and generally forces them to sheepishly drive off as the veins visibly pulsate on their heads. Its especially effective if they have a mouth breather with them. Gives me great joy.
Old 08-08-13, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I always ignore immediately. You have to remember that you simply don't know who you're dealing with and that you are at a significant disadvantage, especially on a remote back road. Without knowing anything else you already know that you're up against someone that is irrational and is operating a 2 ton weapon. That's enough for me to swallow hard and just ignore. Just channel your thoughts to the enjoyment of the ride or think about what you're eating for dinner or anything that is positive thought that will reinforce the irrelevance of the idiot in your life.
Old 08-08-13, 11:57 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I always try to smile and wave but the smile turns into this ridiculously angry grin so it never really works the way I want it to.
Old 08-08-13, 11:59 AM

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 2009 Cannondale Six Carbon 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good advice all around. I just have 2 thoughts to add:
(1) IF you decide to confront someone, do it with a smile on your face with the objective of educating them. Stay calm. Things will go better all around if you do. Pissing them off more just means they take it out on someone else down the road.
(2) I find that my performance always increases dramatically after one of these incidents. I find strength, power and speed I never knew I had.
Old 08-08-13, 12:10 PM

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of great ideas. Thanks everyone
Old 08-08-13, 12:21 PM
Clinging to guns/religion

Bikes: Litspd Cyx/ Paragon/ LHT/ Madone 5.2/ Spclzd TT/ Boone/ Lynskey 27.5/ Pugs / Colnago CLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
last year similar happened to me on a long rural ride. the guy sped forward got out and had a club. I stopped and all he did was yell. he threatened to 'run me off the road' so then i called the cops.... which he left a few minutes after that. Cops arrived 10 minutes later and found him later that day and gave him a ticket.
in the last 2 years, I usually carry my S&W 380 w/6+1...just in case they feel frisky....

Last edited by Ridelots24; 08-08-13 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-08-13, 07:38 PM
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Long Tom
Glock, meh, too heavy for cycling... grin...I've thought of figuring a way to zip-tie a nylon holster to my bars for my Kahr P45. Not for people but for dogs in my rural area. Not that I want to shoot a dog mind you.

(Fun fact: in Oregon, an open-carry state, it is perfectly legal to carry as long as it's in plain sight. I could cycle through downtown Eug with a loaded AR15 strapped to my back ).
In AZ, I can carry openly(or conceal it), without any special permit.
Old 08-08-13, 07:47 PM

Bikes: Fuji Altamira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Florida we just shoot them and tell the cop we felt threatened.
Old 08-08-13, 09:32 PM

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 274 Posts
You have to be prepared for anything if you are going to take a picture of the person and/or license plate. What if this person decided to stop you and beat the crap out of you...some people don't care...they take your cell phone and drive away or you're now involved in a fight...can you?
I'm a pretty confrontational person but smart enough to know that sometimes the smart thing to do is shut up, ignore and leave the scene...hard to do but sometimes the smart thing to do. I would get the plate number and call the police as soon as I could and report the incident requesting assistance.
Old 08-08-13, 09:52 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NWS Alpine
Good idea to grab his plate and report it to the local PD. That way next time when he actually does something to someone else there is record of previous incidents. Will help the next victim instead of he said she said.

Sounds like he is a ticking time bomb just waiting for the chance to take someone out.
Couldn't agree more. Guys like that usually end up hurting someone (or worse) ....
Old 08-08-13, 09:53 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr645
Here in Florida we just shoot them and tell the cop we felt threatened.
Haha .... good one !!
Old 08-08-13, 11:25 PM

Bikes: 14 Wilier zero7,13 Fuji Altimira SL,10 Fuji SL1RC,09 Yeti Mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to ignore but TODAY I was on a wide shoulder in the center about three feet inside the white Line,a guy in a pickup(typical here) swerved onto the shoulder barely missing me by 2 or 3 feet,he then started pointing to the right along with the middle finger apparently telling me to move further right.I responded with many finger replies.Im a retired cop so I do carry an ultra light Ruger 38.no license necessary for carrying as a retired officer.A necessity here unfortunately.
Old 08-09-13, 01:56 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by urshurak776
I was riding in a fairly busy area ... etc. etc.

Just ... smile and wave.

Old 08-09-13, 02:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do find that situational awareness on my end helps immensely. Hey, I'm just a dude, playing a dude, on a bike... grin... I try to do my part to help out the poor bastids in their cars, too. They've got a tough row to hoe, what with a big gas engine, a brake pedal and all. It's a lot to ask of someone to move their toe over 3 inches and press a pedal. God forbid.

Anyway...... in practice that means trying to see chokepoints coming and try to avoid them-- even if it means me slowing down. I rode 42 miles this evening and did it twice. Once on a blind corner for the car coming up behind me; rather than let HIM decide whether or not to risk both our lives, I just pulled onto a driveway apron halfway through the corner and let the situation resolve. Second time was at dusk; car coming from behind at ~45 mph; two women walking dogs on the shoulder on my side of the road, IE walking against traffic, and all of us more or less scheduled to meet up if I maintained my speed. So, fuggit, slowed down, let the car pass, got to say hi to the old bitty's and one had the.... chutzpah.... to check if I had a back red light (I do).

But all that said, I'm routinely stunned at what idiots "we" are as a society of drivers. People are just stupid in their cars.
Old 08-09-13, 02:59 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've never experienced anything even remotely resembling what you describe.
Most of my riding is in De Vlaamse Ardennen and Pays de Collines, though, where everyone is very used to seeing cyclists all the time.
Old 08-09-13, 04:11 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by knobd
I always ignore immediately. You have to remember that you simply don't know who you're dealing with and that you are at a significant disadvantage, especially on a remote back road. Without knowing anything else you already know that you're up against someone that is irrational and is operating a 2 ton weapon. That's enough for me to swallow hard and just ignore. Just channel your thoughts to the enjoyment of the ride or think about what you're eating for dinner or anything that is positive thought that will reinforce the irrelevance of the idiot in your life.
Yep, in a busy urban setting if someone gives me grief I slow down and let them get a bit more agitated. I figure nobody is going to deliberately run over a cyclist in front of dozens of witnesses and who knows how many CCTV cameras. Personally I find out of town it's much rarer to encounter the people whose time is so precious they just have to gain those few seconds so it's less of an issue.

I remember one guy in town who cut me up and gave me a mouthful of abuse when I told him to watch where he was going changed his tone when I chased him. There was me on my bike, chasing him in his car, and the best thing he could think of to do was flee. That was really rather comical. I was significantly bigger than him so I don't suppose for a minute he'd have had the balls to get out of his car...
Old 08-09-13, 04:21 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urshurak776
I was riding in a fairly busy area (unavoidable for a mile or so from my house.) There was a car behind me that would not pass me (though I made every effort to move over as best I could to allow it.) The car behind them was laying on the horn, screaming out the window, cussing, you name it..... Finally, I had to get over to the left turn lane to turn back into my neighborhood and this guy comes screaming up along side me, literally slammed on his brakes (BIG guy, no shirt, tatoos, muscular and probably 235lbs or so. AND he had a buddy in the passenger seat.) He was screaming I had no business in the road and he was tired of all the (explitive) cyclists. I would normally have explained that I have every right to the road, just like a car, however, I was pretty certain that trying to reason with this A$$ hat would have done no good. Heck, there are signs all over the place saying "share the road." Anyway, I just looked ahead and turned when I had it clear, pretending to ignore him the whole time. It really disturbed me though.

Have you guys / gals ever had somebody do this to you?

Thanks for letting me vent

Todd
Hell you're in Charlotte, i have had that done to me riding the speed limit in my freaking car...I hate the traffic there...
Old 08-09-13, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost never had anything like this happen to me. That is probably because here in the Netherlands people are used to cyclists, clear traffic rules exist for cyclist that everyone knows about, and people are mostly on separate bike paths.

I did have to deal with a lady that was mad at me. She pulled out of a side-road, but then got startled by me and had to hit the brakes hard. She followed me with her car (with her daughter in it as well) and told me how I ruined her Chinese take-out . I told her there were "shark's teeth" (white triangles) painted on the road indicating that she should let me go first. If she would have checked before pulling out of the side-road she would not have had to brake so hard. I also told her I should be mad at her for almost hitting me with her car. When she replied that it was my fault because of the speed I was going at, I replied that there are much faster things on these roads than cyclists and if she can not deal with something approaching at 30 km/h, she should hand in her driver's llicense.

Even though she was wrong, I still felt bad afterwards. Mostly because my response, in both volume and body language must have been pretty aggressive, and it is only when I saw her daughter was getting scared that I calmed down and felt horrible about it. Lesson learned. I decided that if I ever get in such a situation again, I will just tell them calmly they are wrong (or apologize, I am not perfect either and it could be my fault) and just keep riding.

Last edited by Cookiemonsta; 08-09-13 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-09-13, 07:11 AM

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
In the last week, I've had:
  1. A redneck in a lifted truck throw a full PowerAde bottle out the window at another cyclist. He missed, luckily.
  2. A redneck in a lifted truck stop in the middle of the road, blocking traffic, and want to fight me when I gave him the finger after he blasted his horn coming up behind me and then slowing down and dumping a gigantic cloud of the blackest diesel smoke you can imagine straight into my face.

'roid/road rage, bro. They have it.

Get used to it. Cyclists are fancy dressed pansies to the bros of the world.

I'm just waiting for one of them to kill someone around here... I hope it doesn't happen, but the way their behavior has escalated in recent months....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.