Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking for build advise.....

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Looking for build advise.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-13, 11:43 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo734
I am using long pull levers but can't use the full size v-brakes. As I understand it, the wont work as replacements for cantis. The long arms don't allow the brake pads to sit in the right spot to make contact with the wheels brake surface. Again, this is all stuff I found out from research and as such I can't say its 100% accurate either.
Your "research" is apparently wrong. My experience mirrors Retro Grouch's. I've had no problems substituting full size V-brakes (Avid SD-7 in my case) for cantis and they work perfectly using the matching long-pull brake levers. Pad alignment and balance were far easier then with the cantis. The arm length only controls leverage, not pad location.
Old 12-26-13, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The only way that traditional linear pull brakes don't work as replacements for cantis is in that the stock levers won't work on linear-pulls. The pads will definitely line up with the rims if you keep the same sized wheels.

Mini-Vs have the advantage of working with short-pull levers.... I haven't tried them yet, and I've heard mixed (but overall, mostly positive) reviews on them.
Old 12-26-13, 11:54 AM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crux, Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, well thanks for the clarification on that. I guess that means that if for some reason I don't like the mini-v's I can always swap em out for regular ones.