Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The commuter thread for the rest of us!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The commuter thread for the rest of us!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 08:26 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,545 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
You aren't being ostracized at all. I've been on BF for a while now, and in that time the commuting forum has really morphed from being a place where roadies talked about how they rode to work
[Skip]
I see this thread as just a place where the more sportfully-minded commuters are talking about what they do. I suppose it could have been better titled, although mostly because it provided too easy an opportunity for Defender Of The People ILTB to fly in here and go through his usual routine of accusing anyone who doesn't ride like he does of being Smug Serious Cyclists. Not that a better title would have stopped him but whatever.
[Skip]
My point was more that people make such a big deal about fenders, and how miserable those without them must be, that you would think that they have magical water-repelling qualities. With any luck I will one day have a more dedicated commuter bike (still a road bike, though), and that bike will certainly have full fenders. In the meantime, I do without or preferably with clip-on fenders, and it's really not so bad. That's in good measure because, yeah, I'm wearing spandex for my commute right now.
But the OP and your post and this thread indicate that there are still those posters who are roadies talking about how they ride and like to think of themselves as being something special because of their bicycling equipment; ya know -"the rest of us."

Thanks for thinking about me.

BTW, it doesn't take "luck" to have a have a more dedicated commuter bike, or a bike with full fenders, or any other type of desired bicycling equipment.
Old 06-23-15, 08:31 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Appropriate for this thread: https://offthebackistan.tumblr.com/post/107367922007/there-seems-to-be-this-idea-among-some-bike
You would think that if any group could reject dogmatism, it would be bike commuters.
Boom!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-23-15, 09:04 AM

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
This whole thread smells. Why am I ostracized for not wanting a sweaty back, wanting to be easily seen at a distance, and not wanting to be in an aero tuck during my commute? I definitely don't pedal at a relaxed pace on my 7 mile commute, despite my riding a 40lb city bike. Average heart rate of 150bpm.

Do you drive a Ferrari to the supermarket? No, you take the hatchback.
Actually, I drive a Nissan Leaf. It has disc brakes and high-tech alloy wheels -- kinda like my 19 lb plastic commuter.
Old 06-23-15, 09:19 AM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Actually, I drive a Nissan Leaf. It has disc brakes and high-tech alloy wheels -- kinda like my 19 lb plastic commuter.
Does that mean you own/drive a car like the "rest of us" or are you something special because of the type of equipment you use?
Old 06-23-15, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
But the OP and your post and this thread indicate that there are still those posters who are roadies talking about how they ride and like to think of themselves as being something special because of their bicycling equipment; ya know -"the rest of us."

BTW, it doesn't take "luck" to have a have a more dedicated commuter bike, or a bike with full fenders, or any other type of desired bicycling equipment.
Seriously, what implies that anyone thinks of themselves as something special? The phrase "the rest of us"?

Taken at face value, and I'm not sure why you'd take it any other way, it simply means that some of us commute on bikes other than the stereotypical commuter bike.

What do you mean by "roadie"? Is that anyone who ever rides a road bike? Track bikes included? Someone who races road bikes? Are you only a roadie if you're riding a road bike at the time? Or perhaps it's a state of mind and it doesn't matter what you ride?

To be honest, I do take a little pride in commuting by bike. Should I not? It's not always the easy choice but I do it anyway for my health and environmental concerns.

When I was actively competing in triathlons, I was also proud of what I was able to do and the level of fitness I achieved, though I wish I were a lot better than I was. I'm sure my choice of commuting bikes are influenced by my recreational cycling activities (past and present). So what? It's what I like. It may or may not be different in 10 years.

Last edited by tjspiel; 06-23-15 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-23-15, 12:16 PM
commuter and barbarian

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think I'm special. My mom does too.
Old 06-23-15, 12:21 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by scroca
I think I'm special. My mom does too.
Sounds like you are just like the rest of us, welcome to the club!
Old 06-23-15, 12:22 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by tjspiel
Seriously, what implies that anyone thinks of themselves as something special? The phrase "the rest of us"?
Yes, as used and intended by the OP.
Old 06-23-15, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
What the OP is trying to say is that if you ride a track bike to work, you will be mistreated and shunned by real bike commuters. Probably true. I often conspire with other "real" commuters to do just that. All it takes is a quick nod of the head and we're off. We work together to either drop the offender, or make him do all the work up front. We intentionally lean our "real" commuter bikes against the offender's bike in the rack, without regard to scratching his paint job. Derisive, rude and mocking comments and sneering at stoplights are all too common. You're just going to have to get used to it.
Old 06-23-15, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

When I think of hair-trigger defensiveness and delusional attribution of negative personality traits to anyone who has the remotest interest in discussing "fast" bikes, how can I think of anyone but you?

And no, it does not take luck. Pardon my use of colloquial English. It does take money, and I've got priorities that are not adding yet another bicycle to my collection. Pardon for me for making the wrong decision, I've been too busy thinking about how special I am to distribute my spending money correctly.
Old 06-23-15, 02:13 PM

Taken at face value, and I'm not sure why you'd take it any other way, it simply means that some of us commute on bikes other than the stereotypical commuter bike.

What do you mean by "roadie"? Is that anyone who ever rides a road bike? Track bikes included? Someone who races road bikes? Are you only a roadie if you're riding a road bike at the time? Or perhaps it's a state of mind and it doesn't matter what you ride?

To be honest, I do take a little pride in commuting by bike. Should I not? It's not always the easy choice but I do it anyway for my health and environmental concerns.

When I was actively competing in triathlons, I was also proud of what I was able to do and the level of fitness I achieved, though I wish I were a lot better than I was. I'm sure my choice of commuting bikes are influenced by my recreational cycling activities (past and present). So what? It's what I like. It may or may not be different in 10 years.
I honestly could not give a pile of woodchuck turds whether or not anyone here thinks that their use of any bicycling equipment or any kind of riding they do makes them special. Whether that's a carbon fiber road bike or a three-speed festooned with reflective tape. But it is a major plank of the ILTB platform that anyone who takes any pride in their riding or has any interest in riding past going down to the corner to get a gallon of milk is morally suspect if they don't feel sufficiently ashamed of themselves. Heck, you don't even have to indicate that you think you're special - all you have to do to get the Scarlet S is admit that you sometimes like riding a bike for fun.
Old 06-23-15, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by alan s
What the OP is trying to say is that if you ride a track bike to work, you will be mistreated and shunned by real bike commuters. Probably true. I often conspire with other "real" commuters to do just that. All it takes is a quick nod of the head and we're off. We work together to either drop the offender, or make him do all the work up front. We intentionally lean our "real" commuter bikes against the offender's bike in the rack, without regard to scratching his paint job. Derisive, rude and mocking comments and sneering at stoplights are all too common. You're just going to have to get used to it.
Boy you've sure skewered those stupid things that the OP didn't say.
Old 06-23-15, 02:26 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm all confused, lately I've been commuting on a drop bar road bike.....that has fenders and a rack.....and weights 40 odd pounds.

I don't know where I fit in.....I need a hug.
Old 06-23-15, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by kickstart
I'm all confused, lately I've been commuting on a drop bar road bike.....that has fenders and a rack.....and weights 40 odd pounds.

Ride a different bike. Problem solved.
Old 06-23-15, 08:14 PM
Been Around Awhile

But it is a major plank of the ILTB platform that anyone who takes any pride in their riding or has any interest in riding past going down to the corner to get a gallon of milk is morally suspect if they don't feel sufficiently ashamed of themselves. Heck, you don't even have to indicate that you think you're special - all you have to do to get the Scarlet S is admit that you sometimes like riding a bike for fun.
Whatz that you were saying about skewered stupid things that other posters did not say?
Old 06-23-15, 08:16 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Does that mean you own/drive a car like the "rest of us" or are you something special because of the type of equipment you use?
I'm merely pointing out that some drivers and cyclists are not luddites. I appreciate the improvements in function, comfort, and sustainability that technology offers. YMMV.
Old 06-23-15, 08:19 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
You fit in fine because there are dozens of threads singing praises of this style of bike without a single critical comment (the surly cc thread is one massive example). Meanwhile, a single thread singing the praises of lighter bikes attracts a motherload of butthurt from people who simply cannot accept that some commuters prefer sporty rides.
Old 06-23-15, 08:52 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
You fit in fine because there are dozens of threads singing praises of this style of bike without a single critical comment (the surly cc thread is one massive example). Meanwhile, a single thread singing the praises of lighter bikes attracts a motherload of butthurt from people who simply cannot accept that some commuters prefer sporty rides.
I don't think anybody, including myself, find fault with anybody's preference for this or that kind of bicycle equipment. The issue here is that the OP did not sing praise for the kind of bike equipment he likes but rather chose to start off by establishing his (and the rest of us) bona fides by spouting derision at those who use equipment different than that he and "the rest of us" do not prefer; i.e. his desire to establish the special status of "The commuters who don't run fenders or racks, no panniers, no Dynamo hubs, no milk crates bungeed onto a DIY fender made from recycled milk jugs, no high viz green safety vests, no internally geared hubs, etc."
Old 06-23-15, 09:35 PM

I don't think anybody, including myself, find fault with anybody's preference for this or that kind of bicycle equipment. The issue here is that the OP did not sing praise for the kind of bike equipment he likes but rather chose to start off by establishing his (and the rest of us) bona fides by spouting derision at those who use equipment different than that he and "the rest of us" do not prefer; i.e. his desire to establish the special status of "The commuters who don't run fenders or racks, no panniers, no Dynamo hubs, no milk crates bungeed onto a DIY fender made from recycled milk jugs, no high viz green safety vests, no internally geared hubs, etc."
Perhaps you're reading more into it than what is really there plus you've left some of it out:

We may not ride the most conventional bikes or have the most conventional ideas, but we ride to work. We use backpacks, messenger backs, laptop bags, and we almost always have a sweaty back.
To me that seems at least a little self deprecating. Not smug. Not trying to carve out some special status. And most importantly noting that "we ride to work", - just like every other bike commuter.

I have a bike with an IGH, fenders, and a rack. One fender is attached via zip ties. I'm seriously considering a dyno hub for that same bike. I started with a frame and built it from there. I've put more time and money into it than any other bike I own. It's the closest thing I have to a conventional commuter bike and I like it a lot. I was not the tiniest bit offended by the OP.

Of course I'm sympathetic to his point of view because I too prefer simpler/lighter/faster bikes for those occasions when I don't need all the benefits that a more standard commuter bike brings to the table. For me that turns out to be a lot of the time but that doesn't mean I see the simpler bikes as "better" than my commuterish bike.

Last edited by tjspiel; 06-23-15 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-23-15, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Commuters are all equal no matter what bike we ride. We all put ourselves at risk, face the same road hazards and crazy drivers. Whether we ride road bikes at higher speeds or hybrids at lower speeds, the dangers we face are equalizers. I respect all cyclists, independent of what bike they ride, what cycling attire they wear, how fast they ride.
Old 06-23-15, 11:12 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 401 Posts
Why so much fuss about it? I commute mostly on my hybrid bike, complete with flat bar, fenders, rack, dynamo hub, IGH, panniers if needed, etc. But sometimes I commute on my slick tire MTB or even on my drop bar road bike with 23 tires.
Old 06-23-15, 11:21 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
but that doesn't mean I see the simpler bikes as "better" than my commuterish bike.
well said. as someone who has a stable of weight weenie commuters i long for a heavier utilitarian bike (probably a long tail given my needs) but i simply don't have the room right now.
Old 06-23-15, 11:24 PM

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Less arguing more pictures of gorgeous Felt (and other) road bikes please .
Old 06-23-15, 11:45 PM

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
More than just him. I didn't start the thread to start a war. Just wanted a place for the "rest of us" who don't use the normal commuter bike to be able to chit chat without the non stop "where are the fenders" or "I don't see a rack on that bike" comments that are thrown around like nobodies business.
Old 06-24-15, 08:48 AM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
Less arguing more pictures of gorgeous Felt (and other) road bikes please .
Why thank ya (assuming you meant mine)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.