Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you find your motivation to ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you find your motivation to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 02:56 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I can't imagine not riding. I do know the days I might be busy doing other things, or having weather issues, I think how much harder it will be to get up to speed, for every day spent off the bike. The more you ride, the more you ride. I see kids sitting around being bored, getting in trouble, shooting each other, and wonder how different it might be, if they were out riding their bike, or at least working on it for tomorrow's ride. Bikes are wonderful things, but you have to ride them to make them work for you.

One day before the start of a Solvang Century, it was raining. Each of us was waiting for the other to bail on the ride. Neither of us would give in, 5 miles later, the sun came out and we had a great ride. Sometimes its just being too stubborn to quit, kind of a reverse of lack of motivation.

Here in LA it's been raining all day. No ride today. I can't imagine living somewhere where weather kept you off the bike for any extended time. One day in a row is enough for me. ��
Today's rare rain reminded me of back East. It rains every day, but its a predictable rain so you just learn to ride between the drops.
Old 11-30-18, 11:48 AM
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
This is a really good discussion.

When I was a kid I was one of those kids that really truly love to ride bicycles. When I as 13-14, I was riding 100 miles a week more most of the time. A few years off when I was in college but once I settled down back on the bike I was. In my mid to late 20s I was riding half and metric centuries 2 or 3 times a month. But I never owned a really nice bike, just utility machines that I kept in good shape and as a result I've never had a breakdown that I could not remedy on the road.

Somewhere around the mid 1990s I stopped riding completely. Not sure why. I did however replace the exercise aspect with participation in weight lifting and mostly Martial Arts and thus for 10 years 1995-2005 was physically in good condition. Around 2004 I purchased an entry level hardtail MTB rode it some but not a lot. In 2013 I suffered a tib/fib fracture in my left foot. So this brings me to today, I've never been even remotely what could be considered over weight, I'm at my heaviest right now and that is about 148. But I'm getting a bit of a gut, feel not that good and just miss getting out and riding. I have other activities, one of them is competitive handgun competition and while not a champion by any stretch of the imagination I'm classified Master in my discipline. Riding my bicycle in some sort of way helps with that, but both activities require a time/energy commitment.

When I first got the idea to start riding again my initial thought was to get the MTB out, go ever it mechanically and hit the trails. I live in an area where there is everything MTB, from rail trails to challenging single track. Although I'm 60 I still work full time, this makes riding difficult during the week getting the bike to the trails takes too much time after work. So the road bike seemed to be a good idea, jump on from home and ride around. Trouble is my bike has not been ridden for 15 years and needed attention badly. I took me weeks maybe months before I got the gumption to disassemble her and get it put back together again. This I now accomplished and replaced things I always disliked about the bike so I put about $150.00 into it and have it just about perfect. The excuse of not having a seaworthy bike is gone, so I have to fall back on the old reliable "the weather is awful".

So that is my story which kind of sucks I know. What I have done is what I always do and that is set a goal. My goal for now is actually quite achievable but will still require work. I'm going to participate in a charity metric century end of July. This ride is basically on flat land where I'm training in the hills. But I'm still going to need to get back some of my basic skills which have gone by by and regain some physical conditioning. I hate the winter so starting in January I'm going to use an indoor trainer and have a schedule already made up where beginning in April out on the road 3 or 4 times a week. It is the commitment to make that ride is what I'm counting on. I know that I will blow off some training rides and will not go full in on some that I do. I know a few other riders in the area that ride this event every year so I will train with them and use their pace as my guide. But not only am I going to make this ride I'm going to do some gear mashing along the way as I have always been competitive but I will admit that this one has me a little worried. Right now I'm not in shape.

It's all about the goal.
Old 11-30-18, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
When I need motivation, I turn off the bike computer, the phone, close all cycling related everything and drive to a trail I have never ridden. That brings why I ride back into perspective.
Great point. You have to quit worrying about technology, society, stats, and just enjoy it for what it is.
Old 11-30-18, 12:42 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I haven't been on my bike, outside (regularly) since July of this year. I have logged less than 100 miles even in the months before that. A bevy of health issues and a couple of close calls with cars over the previous year led to a lot of it, but realize that deep down it's just an excuse. I purchased an indoor trainer back in late Sept. as an attempt to get myself kick started back into a level of health that would lead to my ability to actually ride out of my neighborhood. I have spent a total of 1.5 hours on it in three different sessions and haven't touched it other than to move it out of my way since Oct. There are two beautiful bikes of my own in the garage with zero mechanical problems. One of the two is a really decent (mid/high) end Roubaix that I am of a weight I am hesitant to get on due to it's stated restriction. I have a commuter style GT that would have no issue with it.

Even when I was riding earlier in this year and later last year it was mostly with a group of friends to go somewhere an eat/have a drink. The health benefit was probably better than doing nothing, but the caloric intake was offsetting it to less than zero for sure. That group has 'dissolved' due to work and life obligations and we simply don't have the time to get together any more.

My health is getting progressively worse. I recognize it's from a lack of activity. I gain weight, my blood pressure and heart rate are increasing. I see the need to do something and lack the simple motivation to use the tools I already own to do anything about it. Riding a bike is the most painless thing I can do, with the most benefit to me in regards to my amputation/prosthesis. As if the fact that my sedentary lifestyle is killing me isn't enough I just simply cannot get myself on the bike, on the road or trainer to do anything about it. I happily sit here on the computer/gaming/tv-ing getting fatter.

What methods have you used to kick start your interest in cycling?
I don't know if this helps, but I think you have to figure out what about cycling is fun, and treat yourself to that. And by "treat yourself" that could mean new toys or just taking the time to go somewhere different to ride.

Sometimes staring down at my growing gut does the trick to get me out the door, but for the most part, I need to enjoy it. Sometimes I'm just getting bored and need to do something different. Back in 2010, that was getting a fat-tired road bike (this was before they started calling them gravel bikes) and riding a whole lot of gravel and dirt forest service roads that looked interesting.
Old 11-30-18, 02:21 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
MOTIVATION -- my belief in that this "GO AROUND" is all that I get with NOTHING TO FOLLOW, no eternity in a Heaven or Hell, no reincarnation or becoming part of the Universe so I'm making my time remaining here enjoyable with riding because I really like it and it makes me feel good.
Old 11-30-18, 02:23 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I think about how good I will feel after returning home from a ride, and that usually does the trick. In addition to enjoying the ride, this is the clincher for when I'm feeling lazy or out of sorts. I always feel good after a ride.
Old 11-30-18, 02:34 PM

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
I think about how good I will feel after returning home from a ride, and that usually does the trick. In addition to enjoying the ride, this is the clincher for when I'm feeling lazy or out of sorts. I always feel good after a ride.
This is true. I love that feeling of being completely spent and crashing on the couch after a 160k ride.
Old 11-30-18, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just get out

The best way to do it is to plan a ride in a very beautiful place. Doesn't matter if it's not a challenging ride or not, just make sure it was worth the ride getting there.
Old 11-30-18, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
As I was getting myself into the habit of riding, I made an effort to eliminate all of my possible excuses for myself. I got up early enough that I always had time to ride. Weather? I kept my rain gear with the bike at all times. Cargo? I attached a big basket to my bike. I made it so that getting out on my bike ceased to involve any decision making, and I used my bike for ordinary errands that got me out on lots of short rides. For longer recreational rides, I would set up my bike and gear the evening before, check the weather, and so forth.
Old 12-01-18, 08:16 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
This has been a great thread with a lot of thoughtful responses.

Few thoughts that came to mind in reading through the posts:

1) Regarding motivation ... I'm not a naturally ambitious or motivated person, especially when it's not something I feel required to do. So, even when a behavior is seen as "good" (good diet, exercise, etc etc), it can be hard to establish a regular routine. Sometimes, forcing myself to do something for that "start-up" period until it becomes habit helps. Getting to the point where, if I don't do the "thing", I'll feel bad. I'm kind of at the point now where, if I miss a couple days of riding (especially the week-day/work-day rides which tend to be over the same roads), I feel that I've missed something and really need to get out. I've tried to think of it as something that's built into my lifestyle - which does take some time to establish.

2) Regarding the stresses in life that can demand our attention - that can be a real challenge. Our family has gone through some very difficult stresses and they are, to some degree, likely to need our attention for the very long term. One thing I try to remind myself when there are things in life that are, no two ways about it, just difficult, is to not let the very hard things "contaminate" all areas of our lives. Not letting the hard things spill over and take away from the appreciation of the parts of our life that are good ... nurture the relationship(s) that are positive, compartmentalize certain activities you enjoy (in my case, riding), or looking for opportunities to have a positive impact on others (sometimes, the really hard things we're going through put us in the position to be of help to others experiencing similar trials).

3) With respect to riding, people have different approaches in terms of riding solo vs. with a group. If you're finding riding with a group isn't working in terms of keeping up, maybe try to find positives in riding solo (even if you may not naturally like riding alone). For me, I prefer riding solo as I don't have to worry about keeping pace with others, but more because it's a time of reflection and thinking things through without any distractions. I find getting out and on the road often helps me think more clearly and in a more positive way.

Not meaning to come across preachy or presumptuous, just a few random thoughts. Best wishes to all!
Old 12-01-18, 11:04 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Motivation??? I simply like to ride.
Old 12-01-18, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Instagram
Old 12-01-18, 12:20 PM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Sometimes, if it ain't fun, then it's time to stop.

I too have lost motivation from time to time. In fact, I'm in a slump right now. After 15,000 miles in 3 years with out hardly more than 2 days off in a row, (& the occassional 5 day week) I realized my legs were just tired. I could ride anywhere I wanted, for as long as I wanted and with rare exception my heart rate was a chill 120-130 bpm churning out 200+ watt average rides day in and day out. Riding harder just got tireder legs.

I simply wasn't getting anything out of it except a Thursday social group. My body had adapted. My body had specialized. My mind got bored, so I stopped.

To break out of my slump, I figured I had to change it up a bit. So, for the winter I bought a 3 month limited term membership to the local health club. I paid in cash so they wouldn't/couldn't decide to keep charging my card. (Health clubs are shady in that way.) I now have 3 months to make the most of my purchase.

Lately, I've fancied the StairMaster. I check the leader board/high score on whatever machine...Then beat it. You wouldn't believe how many people can't hack 10 minutes on it. Setting records makes me feel good. With my cyclist legs, I shoot for an hour. The goal is to be stronger for when I get back on the bike. Maybe I can get a KOM at least once, somewhere, anywhere, when I get back on the bike. It doesn't really matter though. The point is just to do something different for a while and the gym has lots of options.

Maybe that's what you need: just something different for a while.

Last edited by base2; 12-01-18 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-01-18, 12:56 PM

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I haven't been on my bike, outside (regularly) since July of this year. I have logged less than 100 miles even in the months before that. A bevy of health issues and a couple of close calls with cars over the previous year led to a lot of it, but realize that deep down it's just an excuse. I purchased an indoor trainer back in late Sept. as an attempt to get myself kick started back into a level of health that would lead to my ability to actually ride out of my neighborhood. I have spent a total of 1.5 hours on it in three different sessions and haven't touched it other than to move it out of my way since Oct. There are two beautiful bikes of my own in the garage with zero mechanical problems. One of the two is a really decent (mid/high) end Roubaix that I am of a weight I am hesitant to get on due to it's stated restriction. I have a commuter style GT that would have no issue with it.

Even when I was riding earlier in this year and later last year it was mostly with a group of friends to go somewhere an eat/have a drink. The health benefit was probably better than doing nothing, but the caloric intake was offsetting it to less than zero for sure. That group has 'dissolved' due to work and life obligations and we simply don't have the time to get together any more.

My health is getting progressively worse. I recognize it's from a lack of activity. I gain weight, my blood pressure and heart rate are increasing. I see the need to do something and lack the simple motivation to use the tools I already own to do anything about it. Riding a bike is the most painless thing I can do, with the most benefit to me in regards to my amputation/prosthesis. As if the fact that my sedentary lifestyle is killing me isn't enough I just simply cannot get myself on the bike, on the road or trainer to do anything about it. I happily sit here on the computer/gaming/tv-ing getting fatter.

I like to think of getting started on a ride as the most difficult obstacle because once you are under way it is somewhat easy to just keep going for whatever time you have allotted. So develop ways to facilitate overcoming this first obstacle - have a little pre-ride ritual. For me, I like to roll my bike out of the garage, check my tire pressures then pump up to my desired pressures. I lay those oversized foam workout squares with edges like jigsaw puzzles in my driveway then set a little stool out on it to sit on. I prepare my shoes, helmet, gloves, water bottle, cliff bar, apple and set them there while I go inside and finish putting on my bib shorts and decide how many layers of clothing are needed. I grab my phone and start “Endomondo” which I use as a less competitive alternative to Strava. I also start my Fitbit which borrows the GPS data from my phone. I silence my phone completely since the free version of Endomondo that I’m using has this female voice that keeps chirping up every time I start or stop. I go back to the stool, finish up putting on my gear, close my garage door and depart!

What a great feeling to be underway! The mind stays busy as all kinds of (different) priorities come into focus. These priorities are simple but different than when you were on the couch. It is like Mother Nature is teaching you about yourself!

I work on breathing. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Simple but important. I settle into a rhythm pedaling. As I shift through my gears with terrain changes my body tells me if it will exceed my expectations or maybe if today will be an underperforming day. Regardless of the answer, knowing the truth will relieve much anxiety about what could be because you’re doing it as you think about it.

If if you are struggling, you can take yourself 50% into your loop - the halfway point - knowing that once you’re there, then you can’t be all neurotic about how far you’re going because now you’re committed.

Go to the next town to deliver your mail. Leave “civilization” behind for a few hours. Go the opposite direction that you see everybody else going. Ride under heavy cloud cover. Ride in the rain. Do a night ride with one of those amazing, bright 900 lumen super LED headlights. Work on your spin. Think of how you can get better. Think of what can go wrong and formulate a plan. Practice things like some difficult climb or technical stretch of road. Co-exist with motorists. Empathize with the “good old boys” in their diesel trucks and laugh about it when they blast you while “rolling coal”. Seek out other riders to pace. Be competitive, or not. Follow a fast person. Demonstrate your professionalism. Ride a straight line. Ride no handed. Eat while riding. Practice alternating hand positions including riding in the drops. Make mental notes about random noises on your bike and vow to eliminate these noises one by one. Show up at one of your friend or family members’s houses on your bike. Say hello, visit for a while - then resume your journey. Forget about arbitrary metrics such as average speed. Keep fuel in your tank - then spend it when you’re ready. Repeat a mantra in your mind of keywords. “Smooth and Progressive” is one of my favorites. Or how about “consistent and injury free”? Celebrate milestones. That first 1,000 miles doesn’t always hit in April. Go easy on yourself. If you hit your first 1,000 of the year in June this means you are about to be rewarded with riding that comes with increases ease, yet the numbers don’t lie - you’re riding longer and faster, fantastic! When your personal perception of awesomeness is deficient, don’t worry about it! It is dormant but not dead. Visualize your metabolism like a can of coconut milk, not the low fat kind. You used your can opener to open the end with the waxy skin which you’ve begun to scrape off - very slowly. This fatty skin makes up like 5% of the whole yet takes seemingly an eternity to burn through. These are your fat stores. Consider yourself lucky you have them. Now they’ve been identified. So go ahead and set out to do any, many, many rides -as long as it takes since now is the time to start activating yourself. One day you’ll go out and you’ll be “there” - your fuel source is thin coconut milk, your engine is a dual fuel one, previously a diesel set to run on spent French Fry oil, discarded. Now the tank is topped up with 89 octane gasoline (not yet 92 octane). You tell yourself “my engine hasn’t run this smooth in years”. You take stock in your “chassis”. Your “wheelhouse” is stronger than it’s been in a while. Your tendons and ligaments are hanging in there having undergone a mild tuning upgrade. You realize that your power band is actually a turbo and that your power output is variable. When did this happen? you ask yourself. You check your metrics - your phone your Fitbit, your old Cateye bike computer. OMG - I’ve been at this for hours. I’ve eaten my banana and my apple. Both water bottles are empty - have I really been at this for 2 hours and 55 minutes? Well here’s a water stop and I can roll with confidence through the remaining miles back home. Dialing back the power over those satisfying remaining miles as I head home with a fresh clear head.

Old 12-01-18, 01:15 PM
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
My motivation?
Simple:
I need to go somewhere or go shopping for something.

I have no car. (they cost too much to buy and feed)
I can'twalk more than 0.3 miles anymore without a lot of pain.
The city I live in has no public transportation.
So, I have a Miami Sun Traditional trike with the optional 7 speed and disk rear brake, and "custom gearing" (I swapped out the 36 tooth chainring for a 28 tooth) as my main mode of transportation.
It will carry more stuff than my bicycle. (much easier to get on, too.) If I need even more cargo capacity, I have a garden cart I can pull behind the trike.

While I can't walk anymore, I can still pedal.

Last edited by bicyclridr4life; 12-01-18 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-01-18, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting off of the bicycle after a ride feels a lot better than not getting on it at all.
Old 12-01-18, 06:54 PM

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Opinion mine, one doesn't need motivation to ride a bike. No ten year old in the history of kids has ever needed motivation to ride their bike. Riding a bike was fun as a kid and still is ... until we make it not fun. Riding in traffic - not fun. Trying to keep up with someone faster - not fun. Going too far before conditioned to do so - not fun.

My suggestion is to take your bike somewhere enjoyable and just ride until you don't want to ride any more. Let it be fun and you'll want to do it ... no motivation required.
Old 12-01-18, 07:49 PM

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by trackelmann
Instagram
Can you elaborate? Are you following someone in particular the gives you inspiration?
Old 12-01-18, 09:42 PM

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Strava.
Old 12-01-18, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I feel the same as some members have mentioned already, is I think about how great I'll feel after the ride, more oxygen more red blood cells more mental energy, more physical energy, better mood, warmed up muscles for better stretching.. so many benefits. I tell myself 95% of the challenge is just getting on the bike, and soon as i turn over the first pedal stroke i am procrastinate no longer, and i just go..
Old 12-01-18, 11:49 PM

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts

About 15 years ago I found myself the heaviest Id ever been and found out I had diabetes. I had always ridden bikes as a teen and early 20's but it had been a while and I was slowly killing myself with TV, crap food and soft drinks.

Cutting those three things out has made the most difference healthwise. TV is a motivational killer. I was eating hungryman dinners 3-4 times a week plus the fast food and all the cokes to wash it down. We cut the TV out. Got rid of it all together. I quit soft drinks cold turkey. And started introducing a healthier diet. It took a few years to get there.

Changing lifestyle and diet will give you more energy to get out. Its hard to run a machine with crap fuel. Good food will give you the mental edge.

For motivation to get out, write it down. Start with one day. Write down on the calendar that for 1 hour you will ride your bike. Once a week. Keep it simple.

If you really want motivation sign up for a ride. With that looming over your head you will certainly push yourself to prepare for it. Give yourself, 6-8 months and go do a fun ride, 20, 40, 80 miles.

Wish you the best. Lifes to short to spend it on a couch.
Old 12-02-18, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Can you elaborate? Are you following someone in particular the gives you inspiration?
just follow certain hashtags that relate to what kind of cycling your into. adventure, commuting, bikepacking, etc.
Old 12-02-18, 11:38 PM
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Make the first move.

Can't be asred to have a bath? Run the tap. Can't be asred to cook? Open the fridge. Hell if all you need to do is stand up off the sofa, the first move will be what you need to do more. Don't burden yourself with thoughts of how to talk yourself out of it, like ''omg i need to get changed, what kit do i need, it's cold/raining blah.. don't think forward of the very first thing to do. Stand up. Press a standby button. Do the first thing required. Make the first move.
Old 12-03-18, 12:48 PM

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I have a long history of being happy on a bike, doing useful trips. This helps me to still get aboard for useless ones. If I miss a day, my body feels congested, and my mood suffers. Riding can be a relief from the overstimulation of screen time.
I've met quite a few alcoholics who quit when a doctor told them it was that or dying soon. Maybe trying to do something that used to be easy would shock you sufficiently.
Old 12-03-18, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
For me, my motivation is a commitment to a change in lifestyle. I've always been fairly active: hiking, backpacking and used to play competitive volleyball 2-3 times a week (also played B-Ball in high school, intramural college and in an industrial league....but this was a loooong time ago).

About 20 years ago I developed a sciatic nerve issue one night playing V-Ball. At that point I had to give up high impact sports (including downhill skiing So, I decided I needed something else to remain active and went out and bought a MTB. Started out doing 1 short ride a week, then 2 rides ( 1 short and a much longer one on weekends). Then about 2 yrs. ago my Dr. said my BMI was too high, so I figured it was time to shift my lifestyle once again. I changed my eating habits as part of my process and also upped my rides to 3/week (~1 hr. each) and added a Sat. 5 mi. walk. My rides are 1st thing in the morning pretty much at sunup and help me get my day going, blood moving and brain into gear (also do mental puzzles just to truly engage). It also helps that I'm semi-retired.

Now, it is nice that I live in the SF Bay Area (Nor. Cal.) and we have pretty good weather (as in no snow!) throughout most of the year. However, for us we do have our cold days. I just bundle up, especially my hands, to keep warm. These past 2-3 weeks we did have the fires messing with the air quality and then we had some rains last week, so I've pretty much been off my bike for that time and my body/brain were definitely feeling it. This morning it was 45 degrees out (I know, that's summer in Canada but I committed anyway and was so glad when I got back after the ride (could see Venus just below the moon this morning!!) Beautiful sunrise, too.

So, my motivation comes from my experience during the ride (cool clean air, nice scenery...no lakes or rivers but I do have a creek on my route....and if I get really ambitious I can ride from my place out to the southern end of the SF Bay), and the sensation after finishing. Since I made it a lifestyle change my morning bike rides have become a part of my routine, much like a shower or shave or brushing my teeth. Whenever the weather is questionable about riding (rain, heavy winds, etc.) I am motivated to ride more so out of not wanting to feel the guilt if I wimp out.

Ride safe. Ride smart. Always have a Plan B.

Last edited by stephr1; 12-03-18 at 01:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.