Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tikit losing fans?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tikit losing fans?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alec E
IIt's really as simple as this: Their contact form asks whether or not you want to be contacted via email or telephone.
My personal experience is that the best way to deal with BF is by phone. Email queries are not always responded or the responses a vague, but once you get a sales person on the phone (and they are very accessible) everything is resolved in no time.

As for their website, some sections are too noisy (long verbage) and they could better integrate the the search function (currently Google branded) but other sections are priceless:

Part store : https://store.bikefriday.com/index.php
FAQ: https://community.bikefriday.com/faq
Service guide: https://community.bikefriday.com/serviceguide

BTW, I doubt that you will get in the US a better service than BF for Birdy or any other folder brand. I don't ride my BF anymore but I definitely miss their service.

Kam
Old 04-18-10, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lalato
I'm going to take a wild guess here. They wanted your numbers for two reasons... 1) to flesh out their data on a potential customer.
Try reading this post again, or for the first time.

2) to have a way of contacting you in case the line was disconnected by accident.
They wanted my phone number in case my e-mail "line" was disconnected? Brand loyalty certainly spawns some interesting theories.

Alec, I've yet to have a problem with Bike Friday's customer service. I can't speak to your experience with them, but everyone else that has posted here has been positive on their experiences. Maybe you're jumping a bit ahead of yourself by calling them jerks?
It's great that you've had no problems with them. I hope you're in excellent health, too, and enjoying good returns on your investments. As for "everyone else," I try not to allow that bunch to lead me to think that my own experiences are invalid. But you might consider the post immediately above, too.

I shouldn't call them jerks? Well, you've been treated well by them, and I haven't, so yes, you'd feel that way. When I have reason to believe that a business is ignoring my emails and has wasted my time, I think "jerks" is an applicable colloquialism. You can't control what other people say about a business that you like. It's rather pathetic to want to, I would offer.

Ultimately, it's your money... and you can do business with whomever you choose. If you decide BF isn't for you, you can always ask questions about the other brands here on this forum. Depending on your needs, the Tikit may not even be the right bike for you. Who knows until you actually ride a few different bikes. :-)
I have ridden a few different bikes. I am aware that I can ask questions on this forum. I am aware that my money is my money.

Thanks.

Last edited by Alec E; 04-18-10 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-18-10, 02:44 PM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try reading my original post again, or for the first time.
They wanted my phone number in case my e-mail "line" was disconnected? Brand loyalty certainly spawns some interesting theories.
Alec, I understand that you're angry at BF, but that's no call to attack Lalato personally.

My bands:
Old 04-18-10, 02:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
Alec, I understand that you're angry at BF, but that's no call to attack Lalato personally.
I did no such thing, and I'm not in the least angry.
Old 04-18-10, 02:52 PM

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Possibly there is a tikit dealer nearby? Might be a more satisfying experience, and you could test ride one, too.
Old 04-18-10, 03:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have access to two Bike Friday dealers. One puts less focus on Tikits than on any other models, however (they're in a rural location and not focused on "intermodal" options), but I've copied most of my questions for Bike Friday to this dealer. They respond slowly but thoroughly, which is fine. The other dealer I've visited has staff who are pitifully ignorant about their own stock of folders. I did manage a test ride of a Tikit in my size there, however. Great frame, great fold, weird steering possibly due to narrow handlebars (like wrestling with a ship's tiller), and gearing as frustratingly low as anything's. (Why is the Mezzo's gearing famously too-low, but not the Tikit's? I found the Tikit's gearing a bit more frustrating, actually.) In general, it's looking like Birdy is a better option, though I dislike the feeling of being above it rather than on it, if that sounds familiar to anyone. But I've only ridden Birdy models which used the comfort stem, so the other stem might solve things. I was looking to stay under $1500, though, and Birdy is not the option that will allow that (if I'm also interested in a highest gear of at least about 100 gear inches).
Old 04-18-10, 05:17 PM
Dead Men Assume...

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's great that you've had no problems with them. I hope you're in excellent health, too, and enjoying good returns on your investments. As for "everyone else," I try not to allow that bunch to lead me to think that my own experiences are invalid. But you might consider the post immediately above, too.

I shouldn't call them jerks? Well, you've been treated well by them, and I haven't, so yes, you'd feel that way. When I have reason to believe that a business is ignoring my emails and has wasted my time, I think "jerks" is an applicable colloquialism. You can't control what other people say about a business that you like. It's rather pathetic to want to, I would offer.

I have ridden a few different bikes. I am aware that I can ask questions on this forum. I am aware that my money is my money.

Thanks.
Wow, in your first post on this thread (the one where you said you didn't want to hijack said thread) you said that you found an earlier post "insulting". From the looks of it, it seems that you're also able to post some pretty insulting stuff yourself.

Speaking as an "Anger Ed" myself, I can recognize the tone in your posts. Especially when one uses the words "pathetic" and "pitifully" when referring to people, what they say and their product knowledge.

While I do hope for increased custom for BF, I sincerely hope that you yourself do not become a patron of theirs. I like to get smiles from fellow BF riders.
Old 04-18-10, 05:23 PM
Dead Men Assume...

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back to our original programming, I have wondered about the teething problems that the Tikit has had since its introduction and how that may have affected sales. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some owners decide to ditch their but I think that that would be a very small number.

As for my experience with BF's customer service. Not so hot, they were very good at walking me through the order but not very good when it came to keeping me apprised of how it was going once it was in the system. My NWT and I had to meet up in Toronto within a two-week window and it barely made it. Otherwise, it would have added on a few hundred dollars in shipping to the final destination.
Old 04-18-10, 06:09 PM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IronMac
My NWT and I had to meet up in Toronto within a two-week window and it barely made it. Otherwise, it would have added on a few hundred dollars in shipping to the final destination.
My Tikit's shipping was a comedy of errors. (Not GG's fault, of course.) Fedex shipped it to the shop on a day they were closed, and then marked the package as delivered even though it was not. Then, the shop owner called Fedex, and they told him the package was waiting for him. Then, Fedex told him the package was lost. Eep! Fortunately, they found it, but that was after a very hairy couple of days.

My bands:
Old 04-18-10, 07:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IronMac
While I do hope for increased custom for BF, I sincerely hope that you yourself do not become a patron of theirs. I like to get smiles from fellow BF riders.
Thanks. You Bike Friday fans seem like a swell bunch. Mature, open to criticism, careful readers, not in the least condescending... I could go on and on.
Old 04-18-10, 08:10 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure glad I started this thread about about whether or not Tikit buyers are losing interest in their bikes.

I got so much useful and relevant information on that topic
Old 04-18-10, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. You Bike Friday fans seem like a swell bunch. Mature, open to criticism, careful readers, not in the least condescending... I could go on and on.
Hmmmm..... not to keep the fire going, but it seems to me that your customer service problems might have something to do with your general attitude, Alec E...
You told us your experience, we told you ours. Then you go ahead and insult people that take time to talk to you. Get whatever bike you want, better yet, save the sales person, get it on-line. Win win, me thinks.
Old 04-18-10, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, sorry SesameCrunch.... I have a feeling that the rant is over and you get some responses now.
Old 04-18-10, 09:49 PM

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I have been reading this for a while now and wonder if you really want any advise or do you just want to vent?
Old 04-18-10, 10:29 PM

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, folks may be losing interest in their tikits, but they haven't lost interest in talking about unpleasant sales experiences in attempting to buy them.

Makes me wonder how I ever managed to make a living as a salesman...lol

Lou (Retired 7/2000)
Old 04-19-10, 09:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lucille
Hmmmm..... not to keep the fire going,
Of course not.

but it seems to me that your customer service problems might have something to do with your general attitude, Alec E...
Establishing this would certainly seem to be the aim of the passive-aggressive, incredulous, condescending replies that my original post prompted. I remember what it was like to criticize Apple in the days when Apple ownership constituted a bit of a cult. This is a point-for-point flashback.

You told us your experience, we told you ours.
With the implication that yours invalidates mine. That is foolish, and a frankly displeased tone, in further replies from me, shouldn't have surprised you.

Then you go ahead and insult people that take time to talk to you.
I've yet to insult a singe person. I laid out my experience factually. Tarring my personal magnetism of lack thereof is a change of subject. As for persons taking the time to tell me that (a.) "no one else" has had my experience, so I should have kept my mouth shut, (b.) that I have a phobia of salesmen, (c) that I lack the anodyne, Mr Rogers cheer of the ideal Bike Friday owner, therefore they hope not to encounter me dragging my Tikit through the organic grocery, as I'm undeserving of their Free Hugs--as for these persons, the generosity of their replies doesn't quite seem to me to rise to the level of charity work.

Get whatever bike you want, better yet, save the sales person, get it on-line.
I've been trying to get one online, in part. Has that not been my point?

Originally Posted by Dynocoaster
I have been reading this for a while now and wonder if you really want any advise or do you just want to vent?
I haven't asked for any advice. I mentioned that I had had trouble with Bike Friday's salesmen. I was prompted to elaborate. I've replied to replies which called for replies.

Originally Posted by SesameCrunch
Sure glad I started this thread about about whether or not Tikit buyers are losing interest in their bikes.

I got so much useful and relevant information on that topic
The circling of the wagons isn't my fault. I'm off to buy a mean, rotten bike now, for toxic people (to borrow a term from Oprah) who express themselves directly and cringe at the sight of smilies.
Old 04-19-10, 09:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is a very good example why "customer service" is so very difficult for EVERY business - customer expectations and perceptions can be, and are, so very different.

Over and out.

Lou
Old 04-19-10, 09:34 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lucille
Hmmmm..... not to keep the fire going,
Of course not.
Alec, reading through all this, you're the one keeping this going. The OP started this thread with a legitimate question, and it's now accomplishing nothing. Please stop.

It also may be worth noting that, out of the 23 posts you've written on Bikeforums, 9 of them are in this thread.

My bands:
Old 04-19-10, 09:40 AM

This is why I got out of sales.
Old 04-19-10, 10:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to agree with this rant on one point, why ask if you wanted to be contacted by email or phone and call a potential client anyway? This is the reason I did not go with BF just because I wanted some preliminary info by email to digest but I was getting a telephone call asking if I wanted to order or not before I had any info and this was from Walter.
Old 04-19-10, 10:48 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcleodja
I have to agree with this rant on one point, why ask if you wanted to be contacted by email or phone and call a potential client anyway? This is the reason I did not go with BF just because I wanted some preliminary info by email to digest but I was getting a telephone call asking if I wanted to order or not before I had any info and this was from Walter.
Hmm. I've not had any bad experiences with BF customer service myself, but one of us should pass this along to BF, then. It's possible they could use this to fine-tune their sales process. I can email them a link to this thread if nobody objects, or perhaps someone wants to write a brief and impartial email outlining both sides of this discussion.

I love my Bike Friday, and I think Green Gear is a wonderful company. I'm willing to get them information that could help improve things.

My bands:
Old 04-19-10, 11:01 AM

I agree, send them this thread.
Old 04-19-10, 11:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a fan of Green Gear and really wanted to buy a Tikit or perhaps rather buy from an American company. The problem I had was more of economics; I could either buy one Tikit w/ a Dual Drive, H-Bars, STI shifters in yellow... or I could buy a Dahon Speed PRO TT for myself and a Brompton M6L for my wife!

I'm not a big fan of their Built to Own costs vs. customization. I think BTO model works well for setting up special geometric frame configurations; but when someone just wants to switch out an 8 speed cassette w/ a 9 speed, I think it more fair to charge them the difference b/w the two. Likewise, I was very close to buying a Tikit but they told me they were out of stock of the mediums. Since they had to wait to build up more bikes and paint them, I'd asked if I could just pay the $100 to have it painted yellow. I was told that they would only do that if I went the BTO route which I think ends up costing an additional $400.

I think they'd be better offering something in between stock and BTO; like chose your colors +/- $100, choose your handlebar +/- whatever.

BTW, I love Apple products and use them. I don't get the iPAD though and think it's mostly hype that's fueling its sales. The Tikit makes more sense than an iPAD but the economics underlying the BTO seem to depend more on hype than actual function.
Old 04-19-10, 01:07 PM
Peace & Grease

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I test rode many different BF/Tikit models from my LBS. Concluding that I had to have one for myself, I contacted BF to order up a Pocket Rocket.
The BF rep was friendly and knowledgble, however by the time it all added up, the damn thing was going to cost a small fortune!! So, I held off to see what else was out there.
Shortly after contacting BF, I visited a local Dahon dealer, an hour later, I left with a new Speed Pro TT and couldn't be an happier. Not to mention, I saved over a grand on what I felt is a better machine for the money!!
Old 04-19-10, 01:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alec - hey, we are here to help you. Let me know if I can be of assistance - Phil Cowles 800.777.0258 Director of Marketing - Bike Friday

Last edited by philcowles; 04-19-10 at 01:55 PM. Reason: add to it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.