Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Messenger bag comparison

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Messenger bag comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-08, 01:30 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Timbuk2 has horrible strap designs. They're only decent as shoulder bags or for carrying light, flexible loads on an upright bike. In the drops, heavily loaded, on a road bike, they're absolutely awful.

I own a PAC Designs Ultimate which I regularly use to haul 20 - 30 lbs back and forth from work, in addition to hauling 40 - 50 lbs of groceries. The bag is absolutely amazing, but will run you around $400 with shipping from Canada. They are generally regarded as the best messenger bag on the planet, and you pay for that.

I've heard good stuff about Seagull too.

For hauling school-type loads, unless you want to buy a PAC along with the X-strap and waist belt (more money...), I'd get a Chrome Sultan backpack. Big, comfy, well made, lasts forever, and honestly, Chrome is the best bang for your buck.

Chicago Wig also makes a backpack, and they seem to have a good reputation, in addition to Reload and Timbuk2 (their backpack seems good, even if their mess bag are not).

Most people would just use panniers for hauling school books though. I don't like panniers, but I can imagine using them if my daily load was 40 - 50 lbs.
Old 11-11-08, 01:41 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bailey Works can be moved to either shoulder. The strap adjusts with a simple pull of a front loop, not sure about chrome, maybe it does the same?

One thing i've read about Chrome bags, since you're in school.. if you've got jokester friends, they might be tempted to 'test' that buckle release. I checked out the Chromes in the store and they look to be built pretty much the same as the Bailey Works as far as weatherproofing and materials. I almost got a Chrome myself, but I liked that fact that not as many people have the Bailey works bag, (i see mostly chrome bags in l.a.) plus the big reflective strips were a big selling point for me.

Old 11-11-08, 03:21 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just learned that my Chrome Metropolis can carry a Wii Fit in its box.
Old 11-11-08, 03:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squareballbuddy
I agree with v..dart on the timbuk2 being a lightweight bag. Its definitely flimsy feeling. I can't fit more than one big school book in it before it starts feeling like its gonna bust. However, after using it for over 6 months to carry 2 big books, notebooks, and etc, its never ripped and shown very few signs of wear. My old Aerostich bag felt much sturdier under load!
Timbuk2s are still well made. One bag of theirs died on me after 6 months (Commute), but I beat the snot out of my medium laptop messenger for at least as long and other than stains it looks new. I know lots of people who have been using the same Timbuk2 bag for years.

My problem with Timbuk2 is that they are the retrogrouches of the messenger bag world. They seem to think that it's good that they haven't changed their strap design since 1985 or whatever, despite the fact that their straps are fundamentally unergonomic. Good companies like Bailey Works, Seagull, Zugster, PAC, etc., continuously update and experiment with different strap designs. I don't know about Chrome, but their straps are quite good and very ergonomic.

You can see that Timbuk2 doesn't get it just by watching their little animated "how to wear your messenger bag" thing. Their model wears her bag way, way too low, and probably too loose for cycling. Fine for walking around with, which maybe is the point since that's about the only thing their bags are good for...
Old 11-11-08, 05:10 PM

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, All City Macho Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went for a twenty or so mile ride today with the Seagull black bag. This is my same school load, which doesn't even put a dent in the bag's capacity. The only time the bag moved was when I started bouncing from spinning the pedals too fast [~120 RPM or so...I am still a n00b to cycling for the most part], and even then it was because I was bouncing a little bit. The bag is far more comfortable in the drops than the Timbuk2.

I like the fact that the Timbuk2 is more organized, and it pretty well designed as far as carrying pencils, notebooks, small things, etc. I picked up a few organizational pockets from REI, and I am going to use them to keep the Seagull straightened out.

There really is no comparison between the two bags. The Seagull is a messenger bag; the Timbuk2 isn't. Great bag for wearing over the shoulder and walking around in, but not great on a bike. OK, but not great.

Two questions about the Seagull Black Bag: has anyone broken one, and what the heck will happen if I take a spill and land on my chest with that giant buckle there? Chrome is the same way, I think.
Old 11-11-08, 08:24 PM
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ok

I bought also this nice bag from REI

It fits my lunch (not small) my dress pants, my shoes (size 13) my dress shirt, socks, etc ... and then its full

The thing i like is when i want to go fast on my bike it does not create that much aero drag.

Lightweight when empty too ...

my extra large classic timbuk2 bag has 4 times the capacity.

Both have their functions; but I wanted something smaller for going to work back and forth.

Last edited by huhenio; 11-11-08 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-11-08, 08:31 PM
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by squareballbuddy
the timbuk2 medium fits a 7lb persian quite nicely:

meow
Old 11-11-08, 09:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The R.E. Load Deluxe is at the top of my short list for a new bag. They are really nice, I know a few people that have them. One guy has had Timbuk2, Chrome, among others and likes his Deluxe the best. Worth checking out...

https://reloadbags.com/bags/deluxe.php
Old 11-12-08, 01:17 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're on a tight budget,Timbuk2. You can get mediums and larges on eBay for $50-60 shipped if you're not super picky about color. But if you've got the cash,Bailey Super Pro all the way. Awsome reversible strap,lots of room,lots of pockets,keeps rain out,very durable.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 11-13-08, 01:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have a Timbuk2 but didn't like the strap and how it adjusted. I then got a Chrome and love it. It easy to use, comfortable, holds a ton and has been super durable so far (had it about a year). The only downside with it (as others have mentioned) is that you can't really switch sholders. Not a big deal for me, but may be for some. I love it.
Old 11-13-08, 03:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a medium black bag, and it's still fairly big. I use it for school and keep about 3-4 books in it plus a binder and it could definitely hold more. The first night I got it I bought $200 worth of clothes at the mall and rode home with it all in my bag, stopped at best buy and bought some ipod stuff and that went in there as well with 1 u-lock and 2 cables. The strap design they use is genius, it tightens and releases so easily, although the buckle was an eyesore at first it adds some character to the bag like the seatbelt buckle to chrome. Fits extremely well and was a very solidly-stitched bag, I'm extremely happy with it.
Old 11-13-08, 04:53 PM

Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There's only 1 bag

https://www.demartinibags.com/

I still have mine from when Mr. Demartini was making them in Little Italy. You had to actually call ahead and tell him what messenger company you worked for before you picked it up. I had my friend call him and pretend I was him.
Old 11-14-08, 03:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by triplebutted
There's only 1 bag

https://www.demartinibags.com/

I still have mine from when Mr. Demartini was making them in Little Italy. You had to actually call ahead and tell him what messenger company you worked for before you picked it up. I had my friend call him and pretend I was him.
The original does not always mean the best.

That strap design looks unergonomic. Like a shoulder bag, which is what they were originally designed for.
Old 11-14-08, 03:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You didn't say whether or not you want a built in laptop compartment. You might consider that in your search. Most of the above mentioned mfgrs make such a bag. FWIW I have the Timbuk2 with one and I really like it the dedicated laptop pocket.
Not sure I would get the Timbuk2 again. It's great quality but the handle ends up digging into my back and it's not exactly shaped to fit your back very well. Oh but once I had a large full bottle of water explode in there once and the outside remained dry...so I know it's waterproof at least from the inside!
Old 11-14-08, 06:42 PM

Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vaticdart
The original does not always mean the best.

That strap design looks unergonomic. Like a shoulder bag, which is what they were originally designed for.
I guess you've never rode with one for 25+ years and hauled a lot of stuff in it. The strap was the best thing. Nice and wide and it fit over the shoulder perfect. The heavy duty buckle is the opposite of what Timbuktu has. You can swing it around your front while riding and loosen it and get stuff out, swing it to your back and tighten it again.

The strap was long enough to accomodate very big and heavy loads and the entire bag sits right above your butt and just below your where your shirt would end. Really right in the perfect center of gravity where if you have 20 or more pounds of stuff in there, you really can't feel it cause its in an inert part of your back. If you pull on it and bring it up higher on your back, it really defeats the purpose of the design. Its meant to be ridden just above the saddle.
Old 11-14-08, 07:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ooh. looks like dimartini wins. i want one.
Old 11-14-08, 11:42 PM
words and phrases

Bikes: 1986 Trek 330 Elance, 1989 Centurion Prestige, 1982 Schwinn Traveler Fixed Gear, 1983 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride daily with a Chrome Kremlin (the huge one) and I've never had problems looking over my shoulder. I think it's really important to keep the flap strapped down tight, otherwise it can bunch up and get in your way.

Chrome makes great bags, though definitely not cheap. I lucked out and scored mine for $40 on eBay.
Old 11-15-08, 11:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No complaints about my chrome. Only reason I chose it was because I saw a good deal on craigslist. It does get in the way a bit when looking to the left but I have never given it any thought as it is not obsctructive to me.

I don't believe that the minor differences between higher end bags warrant much thought - the only problem I have with all bags (except some of the suspension backpacks - might look into those but I am leaning toward panniers these days) is that they sweat up your back in the summer. Every other difference seems to come down to exclusivity, which I could care less about. So one material or clip or nylon doohickey is slightly more refined than another (a clip will perform for 20,000 openings/closings versus 25,000) - who cares?

This Demartini bag sounds like it works on different principles but I've no experience with it nor have I ever seen a bag worn in the way triplebutted describes and I live/work/go to school in NYC. I don't think he is making things up but this sounds like a trend of the past.
Old 11-15-08, 12:34 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Chrome bags seem to be the choice of nearly every messenger here and the Metro seems to be the preferred size for most although a few other guys and I use the Kremlin which can carry an immense amount of stuff.

I addressed the issue of there being no back padding...

If you go to an outdoor supply store you can get camping rolls that are made of some very high quality and high density foam... I just happened to have an old one kicking around.

I cut a piece to size and slipped it between the liner and outer shell of the bag and it makes a world of difference in comfort when you are carrying a few bricks...it does make things a little warmer but that can also be good thing when one has to work / ride in sub zero temps.

I figure that one day I will probably pick up a Metropolis.
Old 11-15-08, 12:37 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by triplebutted
The strap was long enough to accomodate very big and heavy loads and the entire bag sits right above your butt and just below your where your shirt would end. Really right in the perfect center of gravity where if you have 20 or more pounds of stuff in there, you really can't feel it cause its in an inert part of your back. If you pull on it and bring it up higher on your back, it really defeats the purpose of the design. Its meant to be ridden just above the saddle.
That addresses what I don't like about carrying heavy or dense loads in the Chrome. It's most secure high on my back, but it's not high enough to lift loads above the small of my back -- which really starts to hurt after a while. Shifting them further back and down like you mention would really help a lot.
Old 11-15-08, 01:56 PM

Bikes: 2010 SixThreeZero SRAM T3 SixThreeZero 08 Mammoth & 2010 T3, Old Specialized M2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chrome Messenger Packs

After casually following this thread I decided to visit Chrome's site. I don't think there has been a mention of their Messenger Packs; https://www.chromebags.com/products/bags/packs/ Seems as they would be a more comfortable option because the weight is evenly distributed over both shoulders. After spending six years as a wagon messenger I know time is money and the single strap bags are easier and quicker to get in and out of. Anyone have experience with the Packs? I could use a large bag for shopping trips.

I currently use a Osprey 700 cu. in. pack that works well with a 3L CamelBak bladder; https://www.ospreypacks.com/detail.ph...ab=description For short or sporting trips. When a little cargo room is needed I go to a North Face Exuinox with 1850 cu. in. that is discontinued and available at REI for a very good price; https://www.rei.com/outlet/product/773360. Nicely padded but no hydro sleeve.
Old 11-15-08, 02:19 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I can only look at the guys I work with and see that among the 20 or so full time messengers here, one uses a chrome backpack and the extra time he might need to get in and out of his bag is made up for the fact he is also a Cat 2 racer.

My boss also prefers a backpack over the sling as he says it is more comfortable and even more water resistant.

I think it all comes down to preference and what one has to carry on a daily basis... if I am travelling light I don't use my Chrome bag but prefer a small rock climbing bag.
Old 11-15-08, 02:41 PM

Bikes: 2010 SixThreeZero SRAM T3 SixThreeZero 08 Mammoth & 2010 T3, Old Specialized M2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upon further review their Roll Top Packs; https://www.chromebags.com/products/bags/show/31/ Make even more sense for me. Dual straps, padded back and exterior pockets. But the $, ouch!
Old 11-15-08, 05:29 PM

Bikes: SE Lager, Specialized RockHopper x2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freight Bags ftw! They run large..be aware!
Old 11-15-08, 07:28 PM

Bikes: Giant FCR, Scott CR1 Team, Fuji Newest 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you check out a pannier that converts to a backpack when you get off the bike? They are more expensive than a simple pannier or a simple messenger bag, but it's really worth it to invest in the perfect bag so it doesn't become a PITA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.