Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Just hanging out shooting the bull

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Just hanging out shooting the bull

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
I got a new track bike
Do tell! Interested to know what you have bought.

My two track bikes are currently looking forlorn sitting racked in the living room... Really need to start actually training rather than just riding to help fill my day and look at getting my race licence in October for our summer season! Even if it is just to support my clubs Saturday afternoon track racing.
Old 05-31-18, 04:42 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai

My two track bikes are currently looking forlorn sitting racked in the living room... Really need to start actually training rather than just riding to help fill my day and look at getting my race licence in October for our summer season! Even if it is just to support my clubs Saturday afternoon track racing.
This one! It's a 54 CM Dixie-Flyer BTB. I just LOVE it. It's balanced, smooth, stiff, quite wonderful. It's a very solid, stable sprint platform. Bobby Walthour himself delivered the frameset to me.

Old 05-31-18, 05:03 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
Also, a picture with a mountain in the background (say your bike leaning against a post reading : Elevation 8000 ft) may be submitted in lieu of a picture having a wall or garage door background
No posts out on the trails and the elevation signage is on the road.

But I am sure I can get a nicely composed portrait with a big lodgepole pine. We'll be riding around 8000 ft once we get up on the mountain.

Did I mention that I'm looking forward to it???
Old 05-31-18, 05:15 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

she is holding out on you..... she actually got two track bikes!
Old 05-31-18, 05:21 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
This one! It's a 54 CM Dixie-Flyer BTB. I just LOVE it. It's balanced, smooth, stiff, quite wonderful. It's a very solid, stable sprint platform. Bobby Walthour himself delivered the frameset to me.

very nice!
Old 05-31-18, 06:35 PM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Very nice Sarals. I've only read good things about the Dixie Flyer!
Old 06-01-18, 02:27 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Very nice Sarals. I've only read good things about the Dixie Flyer!
Thank you! If early rides are an indication, they're true!
Old 06-04-18, 06:11 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Damn, crickets for 3 days?

I bet there'd be more chatter if @Heathpack posted her nice new medal from state ITT championship
Old 06-04-18, 06:16 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Not to mention the jersey.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-04-18, 07:23 PM
Has a magic bike

Been a little chaotic in the past couple of days but currently chilling out in the cockpit of the boat watching marina things go by.

Yes, I won my TT in slow, kind of miserable conditions. Not much wind at the beginning but maybe 8mph by he end. We had a wind shift such that about 75% of the race was into a headwind. A little warm for my liking as well.

My main opponent was a woman who I beat last year by 8 min but she’s upped her game this year and won the State RR Championship a few weeks ago. She’s also taken up track racing and is working with a coach who I’ve actually heard of (which is saying something since I am not in that world at all). So I figured she’d be better this year and she was. I only beat her by 3.5 min this year.

I of course wasn’t happy with it. Was sitting on a good time going into the final leg, if I’d smashed that leg, I’d have PRed it. Which would have been something, given the slow course conditions. But I didn’t smash it. I faded. Borderline cramping, hot, miserable. All I wanted to do was sit up and get some airflow over my body. But I didn’t. I stuck it out in aero, at least that’s something...

Overall it was fine. Won the jersey which was my major racing goal this year. But I did not win it in style. I could do better.

Anyway, moving on... met @Cleave this morning to recon the Senior Games TT course. Interesting task, a 5k TT. Just sitting down to figure out how to approach that now. Then we had a nice tour of Cleaves new Green Home. Pretty cool. Then took the dogs to the dog beach, out to lunch, moved the boat, did some chores...

Racing tomorrow am, then mtb fit.

Racing 10k Wed am, then aerotesting, then watching some sailboat racing, then BBQ.

Then home briefly and mtb in Big Bear with friends Fri-Sun.

Lotsa bikes. Staycation #2. Rethinking my approach to bikes and bike racing.

Old 06-04-18, 07:31 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Dang, these girls and their bleepin' championship jerseys...first Sara, now @Heathpack...

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-04-18, 07:36 PM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
@Heathpack,

Well done!

-Bandera
Old 06-05-18, 03:02 PM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Congratulations Heathpack!
Old 06-05-18, 06:16 PM
Idiot Emeritus

@Heathpack is a TT BEAST. I'm very proud of her!
Old 06-05-18, 06:26 PM
Idiot Emeritus

I rode at Hellyer today, my usual Tuesday session. I am totally past the rib injury (and all of the associated bruising and hurt that went with it). My form is back. Today I did some match sprinting with my training partner (and Team Sprint partner for Nats) and she beat me in two out of three. That statement doesn't tell the story. Hellyer has shallow banking, which makes it harder to close a gap on the rider who jumps first in the match. I fell victim to that in the first match, staying low, and then not being able to match the jump BJ did from such a slow speed (and the big gear I was riding). For the next match, I stayed high on the track, and jumped over her early coming out of turn four, which meant I had to ride 350 meters or so full gas to win. I did. I also set a PR on peak power and top speed. For the next match, I pushed her to the front (I'd rather ride from the back when I'm dueling someone who is so close in ability), and once again I stayed high. She was wise to it, and ramped the speed up early, and then went. I dropped to the lane, got a run at her, went up track to go over the top - and cramped. Well, now. Still, it was a major blast, and I'm getting better at that tactics stuff!

Track is crack.

Nats in five weeks!
Old 06-07-18, 10:05 AM
Has a magic bike

Have fun at the track @sarals, enjoy riding with coach.

I did the Pasadena Senior Games TTs and Tues and Wed. Tues was a 5k TT and Wed was a 10k TT. Wow, those seemed like lame-o short distances to me but it was actually very interesting and fun. Just a challenge to figure out exactly how to ride them and to execute well.

For the 5k TT, I decided to target 111% and wound up hitting 113%. Maxed out my HR, rode it well. One technical lapse which is probably what caused me to finish 2nd by 10 seconds. Oh well, live and learn.

For the 10k TT, I went for 106% and hit 105%. Slight miss but I rode four perfectly negatively split laps, it was technically very well done. Happy with it. Won that one, although only two of us showed up. I think once people qualify on Day 1, there’s not as much need to come back on Day 2.

Coach raced and won too. @Cleave and his teammate were on the podium as well. It was a fun event.

I was surprised at how much I liked these little short distance races. Definitely planning on National Senior Games next year. I’m looking forward to working on developing for these short distance events. Won’t be optimal for USAC Masters National TT but there’s no question in my mind now as to which distance (5/10k vs 40k) I want to work on. If Masters Road Nationals works out, I might try to do it just for the experience. Ditto for the State TT. But I’m not gonna work too hard to make those happen logistically.

Then a productive aerotesting session yesterday.

Good little run of bikes for me in the past few days.

My racing season is now over. My goal events were the NoCal and SoCal State TTs. NoCal was cancelled. I won SoCal. I also wanted to do well in the SoCal TT series but never got much going with that for a succession of reasons- too much mountain biking fatigue early in the season, then missed a few weeks of training because sick, then drama over all the date changes for the State TT created work stress (needing to move vacation time to accommodate the changes) which bled into the training, then I decided to change to a more aggressive TT position a few months ago and am still working through the implications of that.

Despite winning the State TT, I was actually ready to be done with TTing last weekend. All the chaos with the State Championship schedules really does not work for me, I need the training time, I’m not a 1%er on a bike who can just race these things whenever. And it seemed like whoever I communicated with from our local association just didn’t give an F, I just really couldn’t see things getting better, and couldn’t see putting the work into it next year.

But... This Senior Games thing is a reinvigoration for me. A different direction, just when I needed one. Thanks @Cleave and @Racer Ex for suggesting it, and supporting the idea of it.

Old 06-07-18, 06:01 PM
fuggitivo solitario

well done, @Heathpack

btw, any reason why you are getting a MTB fit? Im considering getting one myself, but am not sure at the moment
Old 06-07-18, 06:32 PM
Has a magic bike

well done, @Heathpack

btw, any reason why you are getting a MTB fit? Im considering getting one myself, but am not sure at the moment
Basically because:
1. I love my fitter and I just like to see him and chat with him
2. He rarely charges me for follow up stuff, even though he’s supposed to (and I wish he would)
3. We were already down there to do the aerotesting

Before I bought my first mtb, I went to him for a prepurchase fit and we set the Liv up. (This is basically my MO for purchasing a bike, I go to him first to develop a shopping list. The exception was my Madone, which I bought used & just ran the idea by him first, and the new MTB, which I knew would work because I bought it from a friend who is my height). This bike has a 1cm shorter reach and to remedy that would require a new stem. But from what I’ve ridden so far, it felt pretty good. So I just wanted to know if it was worth buying the new stem.

His take was that he thinks the reach is a little short and he thinks I‘ll eventually want a longer stem. But I might prefer the shorter reach descending, it’s worth seeing how it feels. I had some hand numbness on the bike over in Catalina. He thinks that could be that the bars are a little close. But I’ve been noticing that on other bikes too, maybe I’m getting a little carpal tunnel...

Plus my fitter is an avid mtb-er. I kind of wanted to show him the bike. Lol not that he hasn’t seen one...
Old 06-10-18, 05:33 PM
Has a magic bike

Omg this new mtb is hot. There’s something about it, I’m not sure what. But it moves very well through curvy, swoopy stuff and switchbacks. Just seems very well balanced somehow. And it keeps its momentum so well, probably by virtue of being lighter and having bigger wheels. Very very cool bike to own and ride. Had a great time riding for three days up in the mountains with friends.

Old 06-10-18, 05:44 PM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
it moves very well through curvy, swoopy stuff and switchbacks. Just seems very well balanced somehow.
Those are the machines that make a difference, having confidence that the bike will just go where you look really frees up the mind-body to process inputs and just calmly go w/o the noise of conscious technique.
A keeper.

edit: No pseudo-Zen mind control twaddle meant here.
Going over tech specs and making the most likely match of fit to rider weight/size/experience/terrain can only go so far, but is certainly not waste of time and $.
Getting out on the road/trail/track, pushing on to feel the machine out and getting "Yes, this one" really does make that rare difference in machines worth having and others.

Nice colors too....

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 06-11-18 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-12-18, 07:49 PM
fuggitivo solitario

very nice!
Old 06-12-18, 09:26 PM
Has a magic bike

very nice!
I am smitten.
Old 06-12-18, 09:50 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Funny thing, my MTB gloves (actually women's gloves, Giro Xena) have a color scheme that matches your bike.

btw, what wildlife protection kit do you carry?

Apparently here on the East Coast, we not only have to deal with ticks and mosquitoes, but also carry bear sprays... A few years ago, a black bear sauntered his way to the town green (I'm 60 min west of the GWB on a good day) and decided to sleep on a tree there.

I guess you guys have mountain lions?

Last edited by echappist; 06-12-18 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-12-18, 10:54 PM
Has a magic bike

Funny thing, my MTB gloves (actually women's gloves, Giro Xena) have a color scheme that matches your bike.

btw, what wildlife protection kit do you carry?

Apparently here on the East Coast, we not only have to deal with ticks and mosquitoes, but also carry bear sprays... A few years ago, a black bear sauntered his way to the town green (I'm 60 min west of the GWB on a good day) and decided to sleep on a tree there.

I guess you guys have mountain lions?
we have mountain lions, black bears, coyotes, rattlesnakes

i dont carry any animal protection

i do have a bear bell, if that makes me seem responsible
Old 06-13-18, 03:26 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts

Gees. I live in a place where there are bears regularly. They're harmless. People don't "carry bear spray." It's not a normal or regular thing to do. It isn't grizzly country. A bear bell more than suffices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.