Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

cheap tires vs expensive tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

cheap tires vs expensive tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-22, 07:06 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26455 Post(s)
Liked 10,411 Times in 7,229 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The actual speed difference between various tires is so small that it makes no difference to most people who are not racing..
Originally Posted by jdogg111
thanks, a common sense response I can understand, and you didn't even have your nose in the air.
...cheap ass tyres on a bicycle are their own punishment. You can buy some pretty nice rolling tyres now in the $30 range (I think that's what I paid for my last set of Vittoria Pro's), but you probably won't get them that cheap at a local bike store. Anyway, one personal experiment is worth a thousand words. So if you really want to experiment, take the same road bike, with some decent rims like Mavic Open Pro, mount some $10 Kenda low end tyres on it, ride it for a week. Then take those tyres off and mount some Vittoria Zaffiro Pro or better tyres on the same wheels and ride the bike for a few days.

If you're just cruising around on your Walmart Huffy, it probably won't show up on your radar.

Your initial post kind of ignores how much effort you need to put into the pedals to get those wheels to go around just as fast with the cheap tyres. But they probably give you more exercise at a given speed and distance, if that's important to you.
Old 03-05-22, 07:10 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26455 Post(s)
Liked 10,411 Times in 7,229 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
On the other hand, tires like Gatorskins are more expensive because they're puncture resistant and not especially low resistance.
....god save me from Gatorskins. For a while they were showing up on every used bike I was buying on CL. They ride like garden hose.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 03-05-22, 07:16 PM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,004 Times in 1,931 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....god save me from Gatorskins. For a while they were showing up on every used bike I was buying on CL. They ride like garden hose.
filled with concrete.
Old 03-05-22, 07:17 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
It should be pointed out that you don't need to be 'racing' to be concerned with speed. The difference between expensive fast tires vs cheaper slow tires might mean keeping up with your friends or not. Again, if you're riding by yourself on a MUP at 10 mph, it won't matter.
Old 03-05-22, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,361 Posts
ok. i've seen lots of posts about tires making a difference in speed on here. i can't wrap my head around that. one pedal stroke gets you so far, so fast. as fast as you pedal. so why does a 50 dollar tire go faster than a 20 dollar tire
Keep in mind that on a bike you don't just set the speed and sit back and relax.

Your speed is determined by how hard you pedal.

So, say a fairly hard sustained effort for an amateur cyclist will be about 200 watts.

That 200 watts then gets divided up into a number of things.
  • Wind resistance
  • Parasitic resistance of clothing.
  • System friction (bearings, chain, etc).
  • Rolling Resistance.
  • Acceleration, or climbing a hill

Now, say you have two tires that at your 200 watt effort give you either 10 watts rolling resistance, or 50 watts rolling resistance.

So, keeping your power fixed at 200w, then with one set of tires you have 190w to put towards wind resistance and etc. And with the other set you only have 150w... and thus go slower.

Now, it doesn't mean that a cyclist can't ride the same speed on the two different sets of tires, but the one on the high rolling resistance tires has to put in a substantial greater effort to achieve the same speed.

And, if one is going by maximum effort, or maximum effort over time (endurance), then the low rolling resistance tire wins out.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-05-22, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,361 Posts
say 700x 25, with same tread , do different things, be it a 20 dollar dept store tire or a 50 dollar bike shop tire.
I'm not sure a person can buy department store tires in 700x25.

Despite what some people say, I'm a fan of my Gator Hardshells (700x23 or 700x25).

Going with Kenda tires, maybe 700x35... they just feel really different... and feel slower, whether they actually are that different.

I suppose sometime I'll get some super low rolling resistance tubulars on aero wheels, and see how it works out.
Old 03-05-22, 08:53 PM

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Love my Gators. Yes the ride is not cushy but I don't have flats from our terrible streets every other ride.
Likes For frogman:
Old 03-05-22, 08:54 PM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,320 Times in 1,122 Posts
My Continental GP5Ks I replaced the original Bontrager tires that were on my Trek with are a leaps and bounds improvement IMHO. The $17 Michelin Dynamic Classics I put on the 38 year old Raleigh I recently rehabbed are good enough for the rides I do on it. I misread the OP thinking they had a general curiosity about the varying cost of tires. Perhaps they only wanted to know if the cheap tires were good enough.

As an aside, I predict this post to make 7 pages as a tire argument is going to be a welcome change from chain lube arguments.

Old 03-05-22, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7043 Post(s)
Liked 11,086 Times in 4,737 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
You don't learn anything new by listening only to what you wanted to hear.

There is actually quite a wide variation in rolling resistance between tyres of the same nominal size. Both compound and construction affect rolling resistance. Basically, lighter, more supple tyres are faster. The difference can be quite significant if speed is actually important to you. But there are also a lot of other factors to consider when choosing tyres i.e. braking and cornering grip (wet and dry), comfort, durability and puncture resistance. Personally I don't skimp on tyres as they are ultimately the only thing between you and the hard, unforgiving road. So I buy the best tyres for my needs (not necessarily the fastest rolling).
This.

My supplest tires cost $72 each, and while I think they do offer relatively low rolling resistance, that suppleness brings other benefits: they provide a smoother ride, great grip, and after >4000 miles I have never found tubeless sealant on my frame after a ride, which leads me to believe that they are rather puncture resistant. I've spent more than half as much on tires that gave me less than half the mileage and didn't ride very well anyway.
Old 03-05-22, 09:16 PM

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The actual speed difference between various tires is so small that it makes no difference to most people who are not racing..
We had Schwalbe Marathons on the tandem. Swapped them out for Continental GP5000 TL when I switched to tubeless compatible rims. Both are "good" tires. The Schwalbe are "puncture resistant" and will wear longer. The Conti went 2000 miles on a touring tandem with zero flats that we had to fix.

The Conti tires have noticeably less rolling resistance. According to https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ they are 20 watts less rolling resistance for the pair. Over the course of an 8 hour day that is very significant.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 03-05-22, 09:47 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4827 Post(s)
Liked 3,950 Times in 2,569 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
This.

My supplest tires cost $72 each, and while I think they do offer relatively low rolling resistance, that suppleness brings other benefits: they provide a smoother ride, great grip, and after >4000 miles I have never found tubeless sealant on my frame after a ride, which leads me to believe that they are rather puncture resistant. I've spent more than half as much on tires that gave me less than half the mileage and didn't ride very well anyway.
Several years ago I went to the then brand new Vittoria Corsa G+ tires. (Not tubeless but the same $72.) I don'[t know that they were the fastest tires I've had but any cost in the speed department was tiny and - on an early ride on them, I was on a shoulder-less 2 lane road with a line of traffic coming at me at 50 mph. A sporty car at the back of the line pulled out to pass. And simultaneously, I arrived at a widened bit of road at an unpaved farm dirt road. Whew! Pulled over, that car shot past where I just was and guess what? My little piece of grace was running out fast! I was headed for the ditch. Cut hard to pull back onto the main pavement on the very last of the grace pavement. On loose gravel. Tire bit. Bike climbed back onto the main road like it was no big deal. And guess who was now completely sold on the value of those tires.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-05-22, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
A tire deforms as it rolls. Generally speaking, it takes less energy to deform a thinner tire, so it rolls more efficiently. Fancy secret sauce compounds can also make the tire deform with less energy.

I think making thin tires is more expensive because tighter tolerances and increased QA is required.
You are missing two parts of the equation. First, the compliance of the casing (the amount of energy it takes to flex it) and the hardness and thickness of the rubber (same issue) are more important than the width of the tire. Significantly more important. And second, a lower-compliance tire (whether due to construction or higher pressure) induces suspension losses that can be equal to the hysteresis losses of tire flexing. If you see your arms jiggling as you ride over rough surfaces, the energy to cause that came from you pedaling effort and was transmitted to your body due to lack of compliance of the tires. So a narrow tire at high pressure might have low hysteresis losses but high suspension losses.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 03-06-22, 02:58 AM
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 453 Posts
This tire:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-...lack/516359822

...is nearly three times the weight of this tire (35c):
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...avel-700c-tire

You don't have to be a racer to feel the difference. You can be a wheezing geezer, a tired old Fred, and feel the difference keenly, in my direct experience!
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 03-06-22, 06:34 AM

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 324 Posts
There will be exceptions such as a good performing tire that's still cheap or a really pricy tire that doesn't perform that great, but in general, you get what you pay for. Tires are optimized for many things, such as wear durability (usually a function of tread thickness but rubber compound also matters), puncture resistance (trade-off with speed and weight), sidewall suppleness (tpi and composition), speed (usually a function of rubber compound and sidewall suppleness), light weight (usually less durable), performance in wet, performance in dirt, etc. If we're just talking road slicks, the tread pattern is less important but all the other dimensions still apply. And that is how a more expensive tire may perform better than a cheaper tire.

It's all about tradeoffs and that's why we have so many threads about "what's the best tire". A fast racing tire will be supple and lightweight and grippy, but don't last as many miles and may be more prone to punctures. A training tire will be slightly heavier and perhaps more puncture resistant but less supple and less grippy. A commuter tire will be heavy and slow and not as supple but provide good wear and puncture protection.

Last edited by tFUnK; 03-06-22 at 06:38 AM.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-06-22, 06:53 AM

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I put a set of 28c Schwalbe Marathons on my bike almost exactly a year ago. I've ridden them nearly 10000km, and in that time I've had exactly one flat. That alone is worth the extra price of the tires. They don't roll badly at all, either.

The rear is starting to wear out, so I'll be replacing the 28c version with a 38c version in the next month or two.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 03-06-22, 07:14 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 438 Posts
I had an inexpensive (not super cheap) tires on my road bike. Decided to upgrade to some better tires. Same size, same bike, same route. The difference in comfort was noticeable. And was able to cut time off the route, not trying extra hard, just a casual ride on a route I like and ride often. Definitely made a difference! Didn't name the tire brands, won't start an argument on what tires are good-better-best. But yes-better tires will make a notable difference-in many ways.
Old 03-06-22, 07:28 AM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The price of bike tires is insane right now....3 years ago I purchased a pair of WTB Riddler gravel tires 700 x 45 mm size for $ 65 dollars per tire...Just yesterday I was at the same store where I bought these tires and now they cost $ 95 dollars per tire.
Old 03-06-22, 08:26 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3597 Post(s)
Liked 3,420 Times in 1,945 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
The more boldface you use the more rolling resistance.
Smaller thin Arial 4 font has the least resistance.
All things equal, a serif font is more comfortable.
Old 03-06-22, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 789 Posts
Ask yourself this: why buy a set of $120 each radial tires for your car, when you can get a set of $75 bias ply tires in the same size?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-06-22, 09:09 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6243 Post(s)
Liked 4,845 Times in 3,342 Posts
If you only ride your bike for short and/or leisurely riding, then it probably should make no difference whatsoever.

If you like measuring yourself against the clock and other data while riding, then you might want tires with less rolling resistance which are typically the higher dollar tire.

Just because we are here on BF doesn't mean we have the same goals and preferences in our riding.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-06-22, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Chain lube?

Originally Posted by Chuck M
My Continental GP5Ks I replaced the original Bontrager tires that were on my Trek with are a leaps and bounds improvement IMHO. The $17 Michelin Dynamic Classics I put on the 38 year old Raleigh I recently rehabbed are good enough for the rides I do on it. I misread the OP thinking they had a general curiosity about the varying cost of tires. Perhaps they only wanted to know if the cheap tires were good enough.

As an aside, I predict this post to make 7 pages as a tire argument is going to be a welcome change from chain lube arguments.
You mean people no longer grease the chains? Aye aye , I was out of cycling for too long, lots to learn
Old 03-06-22, 11:27 AM
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 789 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I can offer an anecdote. For what it is worth, a few years ago my friend and I started down a hill. We were both riding similar bikes, and identical wheels. However, I was riding on supple road tubeless tires and he was riding puncture resistant tires. He outweighed me by almost 20 pounds. We started the hill side by side at the same speed both sitting in about the same position on our bikes. One might think that the heavier rider would descend faster but I was about 50 meters ahead of him at the bottom of the 600 meter long hill.
Tires matter
I’ve experienced similar situations. But, could it have been due to the heavier rider deforming his tire more, and/or his tire not being optimally inflated and thereby increasing rolling resistance? Also, wouldn’t wind resistance be more noticeable on a larger body?

Dan
Old 03-06-22, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4466 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 3,052 Posts
Are we having some sort of "font-off" now?
Old 03-06-22, 11:59 AM
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Also, wouldn’t wind resistance be more noticeable on a larger body?
The effective frontal area (which determines wind drag at a given speed) scales less than linearly with mass, so it scales less than the corresponding gravitational force at a given mass. That is why heavier riders tend to go faster downhill.

Otto
Old 03-06-22, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18450 Post(s)
Liked 15,687 Times in 7,373 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
filled with concrete.
I cut a tire during a week-long event. Mechanical support only had Gatorskins as replacements. Riding on that thing on the rear was awful.
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.