Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 06:53 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckD6421
I see, "heavily traveled", eh? Well, puns will get you everywhere in this place.
Welcome Tim!

Old 11-04-16, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all! New member here hanging out in the super clydesdale range. I look forward to chatting with everyone, because cycling is always interesting when you're on the road with people you outweigh by 2 or 3 times.

Here's to pushing the big ring and pancake courses!

The Sophisticated Clydesdale
Old 11-27-16, 11:02 PM

Bikes: Modified Denali

Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
I'm back again...

I was here in late '13 off and on. I went from 280, diabetic and HPB TO 245, not diabetic, 1/4 HPB meds in the summer of 15. I hit an event speed bump and got into the "Why continue" downward spiral. I gained the weight back, went into a severe depression and my social anxiety went ape on me. I am finishing up a round of hospitalization and therapy (no, nothing happened, but I felt it coming on) and I desperately need to get back in the pool, back in my running shoes, and most importantly (to me), back in the saddle.

I am logging on Strava again, and plan to participate in the 100+mi threads again. My goals for 2017 are to beat my 2015 time in the Memphis in May Sprint Tri, beat my abysmal time in the 2016 Mighty Mite Sprint. I'd also like to complete the Delta Flatlander Metric again ('15). As a bonus, I live close enough to commute to work some days.
Old 12-01-16, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24 6'7 328lb. I commute to and from work and use a bike as my only means of transportation. I had a stupid schwinn beach cruiser but I wanted to get more into biking and my dad had a schwinn Sierra he bought new in 86 he gave me. Man what a difference a properly sized bike makes.
Old 12-07-16, 08:41 AM

Bikes: Nashbar 105 Road, 1997 Cannondale CAAD3 R900

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New member.
Just started riding after almost 20 year break. 5'11", 267 right which is down from 300+. Still type 2 diabetic and high blood pressure, both under control now. Want off the meds.
Trying to drop another 60 pounds.
Old 12-14-16, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Clyde

hi all.

background on me I guess is in order.

I am an Australian expat living in Thailand for the last few years.

I was so very used to being fit from military service with no weight problems that when I was hit with prolonged illness, 16 years worth, it hit me quite hard. I have not done ANY exercise in that time, until now, but as my condition has improved by removing myself from teh stresses that everyone deals with everyday I find myself off all medication and ready to start taking care of myself again.

I currently weigh 122Kg, down from a high of 137 ish, on a 6' frame.

I spent a lot of time cycling up to my forced retirement and have started up again 3 months ago. I currently ride a Specialized MTB frame with Shimano Diore XT drive chain, compact chain rings and 11 spd cassette. I have managed to go from 14Km rides in over an hour to a longest of 46Km in just over 2 hours.

I am riding for fun, fitness and weight loss, but currently concentrating on the first 2 as I feel I would have trouble maintaining the self discipline for weight loss up to now. I have just started dieting this week.

I am not very knowledgeable about modern cycling as I have not kept up with the tech in the down time so may ask some seemingly simple questions for a while, but I am learning fast.
Old 12-26-16, 11:25 PM

Bikes: rockhopper w/26x2.5 rear

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
6'0, 260. Down from 330. (ding, ding)
Old 12-27-16, 07:22 PM

Bikes: Rivendell Hunqapillar

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chunkymonkeybik
6'0, 260. Down from 330. (ding, ding)
Great job. Keep it up.
Old 12-30-16, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New guy here. So I was a Clyde, then I wasn't, then an injury kept me off the bike for a while. Now I am around 240 and have been struggling to get back.
Old 12-30-16, 05:55 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Hey Tdub17

Welcome to Bike Forums from Texas.

Where are you and what do you ride.

Old 01-06-17, 10:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New member here I am 6'2" 315lb I was a Clydesdale even at my best weight of 220LB when I used to cycle all of the time.

I got back into cycling in 2012 after my weight peaked at 340LB and found that my back wouldn't let me walk for any great distance. Now I ride most days summer or winter I just find it puts a smile on my face every single time!

Sam
Old 01-15-17, 03:10 PM
CycleManiaque

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Diamondback Podium 7, Focus Izalco Tria 1.0, Surly LHT, Raleigh Technium, Brodie Romax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, the name's Karl, and I'm a clyde again.

Finally got the nerve to stand on the scale this morning, typical pattern of avoidance. I'm now at an all time high of 240 lbs, at 5'11" and feel it.
2 1/2 years ago prior to a pulmonary embolism I was down to 175 and in the best (at least I thought) shape in years. Since then my fitness has been going continuously downhill. Medicating myself with comfort food and too much beer I've been packing it on. Not that I'm blaming my illness necessarily, since I've been on this this weight/fitness roller coaster for most of my adult life (I'm now pushing 60).
Well now it's gotta end. It's not going to get any easier going forward and I have no intention of becoming a heart attack statistic.
A few months ago I stopped participating in the weekly club rides because I was too embarrassed with both my riding proficiency and physical presentation... I used to be one of the fast skinny guys not so long ago.

I've purchased an indoor trainer (wahoo kickr) and started using Zwift to get my FTP baseline and put together a training strategy. Looking to do ~4 sessions per week along with some dumbell and body weight work. Also got up the nerve to get my measurements updated so I can start tracking and paying attention again.

And of course diet. I'm planning on cutting way back on the beer/alcohol and heavy carb intake that I've been allowing myself. Signed up for myfitnespal so I can keep track of this too.

Anyway... thanks to anyone for listening. Just needed to get this out so I could make it real.

tail winds,
Karl
Old 01-22-17, 07:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I introduced myself earlier, but I am moving to Central Washington and wondering if anyone in here road or mountain bikes out there? Would love to learn some of the good rides. Thanks!
Old 01-23-17, 01:06 AM

Bikes: '02 Surly Cross Check, '88 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So… once upon a time, I lived on a bicycle (a Peugeot PGN10, for the detail-oriented folks.) Or so it seemed, at least. I was 19, living in an exceptionally bike-friendly area, and according to my annual job fitness test, weighed 155 pounds (at 6’1”) and was quantifiably in the best shape of my life.

I grew up the next year. My version of “growing up” entailed moving across the country to work full-time and study full-time while chasing--and later trying to keep-- a southern girl. Those rides became less and less frequent, sedentary hours longer and longer, and somewhere along the way, that PGN10 fell victim to bike thieves outside Georgia State University’s main library (bastards probably have it pulling a wagon in Kansas now.).

Fast-forward 24 years. Never did keep the southern girl, but did keep the frequent sedentary weeks. According to my most recent job fitness test, I tipped the scales at just over 255 and am quantifiably in the worst physical shape of my life. My version of “hitting rock bottom.”. I just can't live like this anymore.

So, full circle, I'm dropping the bad calories, finding reasons to get out of the chair, and getting back into a bike for the first “real” time since the early 90s. It's not unlike waking from a deep sleep and discovering that basically NOTHING you knew when you went to sleep is the slightest bit useful anymore.

I'm happy to have found this forum in particular... Will try to "soak up" as much as I can. Many of the personal successes y'all have described truly give hope. It makes getting back into the hobby that much more exciting.
Old 01-23-17, 01:17 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Hey Dennis609

Welcome to Bike Forums.

Walking will also help you get in Shape.

Old 01-25-17, 08:34 PM

Bikes: 2006 Diamondback Century

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guess I'll introduce myself again, it's been a while since I was in the saddle and I've put myself back well into Clyde territory (240lb) and looking to get into one-derland.

Threw this 2006 Diamondback Century together today to try and get back in the saddle... I feel I got a good deal, $20 for the frame, $60 for the wheels/tires, $20 for the pedals. Just need rear cassette and a set of tubes... Tune up/adjustments and she'll be ready to ride.

Hope to put some miles on it next week once the rest of the parts come in!

Old 01-28-17, 03:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi!
My name is Jordan, I've been lurking on this sub forum for quite sometime, and finally mustered up the courage to introduce myself. I started cycling at around 460+ lbs (maybe bigger, wasn't much of fan of weighing myself) a few years ago, and I've since had bariatric surgery (VSG) about a year ago and currently at 247 lbs. I initially began cycling with a MTB, but I've since transitioned over to a Road Bike, I find riding on the MUP is so much easier without knobby tires. I currently ride around 4 times a week, but since this is really my first "winter" with this new version of me I've yet to fully acclimate to the cold (it was much easier before), but I'm really looking forward to warmer weather in order to get in few more rides, and miles in during the week.

I currently ride a Specialized Allez DSW SL Comp
Old 01-28-17, 03:52 AM

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS (21)

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6 foot, 222 lbs., 61 years old. Just returned to riding after a 26 year lay-off. During my triathlon days (which got me into riding) I weighed 163 lbs. Would love to return there. Not big-boned, just big-bellied, so I'm not sure I qualify as a Clydesdale. But the tips here already have been helpful, so I'm going to keep checking things out.
Old 02-27-17, 11:50 AM

Bikes: Trek FX 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello! I am a newbie to cycling, long time Clydesdale. I am 5'-7" and 275. I am working on getting down to around 175, and would like to get into duathlons/triathlons. I've done some running in the last few years (a few marathons and 1 ultra), but now that I don't live near any decent trails I've decided to try road cycling.

I look forward to learning from y'all.
Old 02-28-17, 08:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Clyde making a lifestyle change.

With busted up knees and out of breath walking up one set of stairs I so need to get some weight off with low impact on knees.
6'4" 425pounds
Once I have bought bike I shall post photo... maybe.
I'll post another thread with a bunch of questions I have.
Thank you all for any support you all give me. And most of all the hope that there is a healthier me in here.
Old 02-28-17, 10:28 PM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome Menthol, and best wishes for your recovery.
Don't dive in and blow it all out. Baby-steps, and keep it fun and light.
And get that bike fit properly because you can make the knees worse if you do it wrong.
Old 03-08-17, 05:52 PM

Bikes: 2016 Trek 8.3 DS, 2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello All,
Just getting started cycling, haven't been on a bike since my 20's, i'm 47 so it's been a few years.
i'm 5'5" 290lbs as of today, down from 409lbs at my heaviest. Definitely a Clyde on a small bike.
Just picked up a new 2016 Trek 8.3 DS last week and it felt good be back on a bike.
Looking forward to getting my health back.
Old 03-08-17, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Hey hey, I'm just getting back into cycling and happened upon this forum, so I figured why not make an account and chat some, if for no other reason than to help motivate my lazy self again.

I'm about 6'1" and 289lbs, down from about 300 from changing my bad eating habits(Mostly putting a deadline on when is the latest I can eat/snack and quitting Soda)

Through my life I've always been on the heavy side, and usually fluctuated between 280-300lbs since I was 18.

I use-to cycle religiously when I was younger on a Diamondback Response mostly due to wanting to loose weight, but it never did help me then (10-20 miles per day, if I remember correctly...but that's been a while).
Lately I've had free time and I've been a lump so I thought I'd pick up a newer bike that's a better size for me now and try to hop back on the wagon and see if I could get a bit healthier even if I don't loose the weight I want to.
Old 03-09-17, 06:27 PM

Bikes: 2000 Klein Quantum

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
David from SoCal riding a 2000 Klein Quantum.

I ride for fun and secondarily for exercise and thirdly I got to lose some weight - that is how I'm prioritizing it. Recently got back into riding after 10+ years, used to be an avid mtb xc rider in the 90's (OG (old guy).

5 weeks in I'm 10 pounds down (237---> 227) and I'm feeling good at 6'1". My routine rides are up to 15 with an occasional 20 and I've been doing 100 per week. I'm blessed, my schedule allows for it, for now. Always been pretty active but life last year was a hard one with some depression and anxiety coupled with job loss, career confusion and a 30# weight gain.

Glad to be here and below are some pics - I photobombed the last one
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-10-17, 02:24 PM

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by jdw777
David from SoCal riding a 2000 Klein Quantum.

Glad to be here and below are some pics - I photobombed the last one
[IMG][URL=https://s613.photobucket.com/user/david_wamsley1/media/IMG_0132_zpsmzbxt4p1.jpg.html][
Nice Bike! I haven't seen a Klein Bike in a long time. I like how that color changes in the different light!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.