Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Light touring with (modern) road bikes

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Light touring with (modern) road bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn.cyclist
How about this kind of set up? This is not my bike, just a photo I found.

Thabks neat. I just don't see a place to carry a tent and sleeping bags and pads.
Old 03-31-16, 01:57 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5891 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRef
Thank you for your comment and your input. However I'd prefered if you didn't move my post. It was a valid question wanting to hear the perspective of the 41 or people that not necessarily tour but found ways of carrying a couple days worth of stuff on a modern road bike. I don't mean to sound rude or to come as aggressive but if I wanted to ask the touring forum I'd have posted here.
Instead of complaining, just repost on the forum you want and ask away.

You are also ignoring the fact that a great many people who spend time on this forum have done exactly what you are talking about. And they have responded very directly to the question you asked. There is no hard and fast line between one forum and another.
Old 03-31-16, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by bikemig
Instead of complaining, just repost on the forum you want and ask away.

You are also ignoring the fact that a great many people who spend time on this forum have done exactly what you are talking about. And they have responded very directly to the question you asked. There is no hard and fast line between one forum and another.
I'm not complaining nor am I ignoring anything. I appreciate all the replies I got and some were very informing. I just stated that I was planning to post it something similar here as well but first wanted to hear what people on the 41 had to say. I spend a lot more time there than in any other sub-forum.
That being said please don't read any more than what I said and I'm not bent out of shape that it got moved and I ask that you also don't get bent out of shape because I chose to post there first. Didn't mean to offend anybody.

Last edited by TheRef; 03-31-16 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-31-16, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
OK, all kidding aside, here is my light touring "road bike" setup. Ti frame, but would work just as well with a CF frame. Only, probably not a good idea to load up the front end if using a fork with a CF steerer. This setup will carry everything you need for a fully loaded, unsupported tour of any length.

Revelate Designs LLC

Old 03-31-16, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 196 Posts
Axiom also makes a rear rack that will work on your road bike by use of the wheel scewers and I'm sure it's cheaper
Old 03-31-16, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by alan s
OK, all kidding aside, here is my light touring "road bike" setup. Ti frame, but would work just as well with a CF frame. Only, probably not a good idea to load up the front end if using a fork with a CF steerer. This setup will carry everything you need for a fully loaded, unsupported tour of any length.

Revelate Designs LLC

That's a great set up. What do you carry on the saddle bag(??)
Old 03-31-16, 03:10 PM

That's a great set up. What do you carry on the saddle bag(??)
That's just a small dry bag with some crocs and other small lightweight miscellaneous stuff. The tent, sleeping bag and inflatable pad in the front drybag, cooking, tent poles and food/water in the frame bag, and clothing/toiletries in the saddle bag. Tools and repair stuff on the top tube.
Old 03-31-16, 03:29 PM

That's just a small dry bag with some crocs and other small lightweight miscellaneous stuff. The tent, sleeping bag and inflatable pad in the front drybag, cooking, tent poles and food/water in the frame bag, and clothing/toiletries in the saddle bag. Tools and repair stuff on the top tube.
Here is my stupid question of the day, If I were to do a one stop shop for similar gear what should I expect to spend? Where should I look? Thanks in advance
Old 03-31-16, 04:24 PM

Bikes: A few

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is my carbon bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rsz_dsc_0534.jpg (96.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-31-16, 04:55 PM

Here is my stupid question of the day, If I were to do a one stop shop for similar gear what should I expect to spend? Where should I look? Thanks in advance
Google is your best bet. I bought some stuff from the BikeBagShop and some directly from the company. Availability is the biggest issue, because their bags are highly regarded and in high demand. The Revelate folks in Alaska never call back, AFAIK, so you are kind of on your own as to fit. Also, when their website says "out of stock and expected to be in stock by X date," don't count on it. It's a small company, so these projected dates tend to be incorrect. I will only add that all their bags are designed to work together, which is a nice feature. Mixing and matching from different brands may or may not work, depending on the design.
Old 03-31-16, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are some small custom makers who have reasonable prices and high quality. Some people in the bikepacking world know about them. You could try asking on bikepacking forums.

It's nice to support these small, high quality independents.

There used to be some in Portland OR. You could call some of the bike shops or a bike coop there, and ask around.
Old 03-31-16, 08:21 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Thabks neat. I just don't see a place to carry a tent and sleeping bags and pads.
You'll find quite a few folks on this touring forum that use their road bikes to tour and several setups that don't use racks at all and so can be adapted to pretty much any bike.
Here's the setup I used to ride across the USA.

https://wheelsofchance.wordpress.com.../25/gear-list/

If I am doing a credit card tour I usually just take a much smaller Carradice Barley saddlebag......

see this thread

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/98...you-carry.html
Old 03-31-16, 08:32 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Large handlebar bags, Carradice saddlebags and bike packing saddlebags are going to cost between $100 and $150 each. Smaller bags will be $30 to $80 depending on size and maker. Arkel do some lightweight panniers called Dry-Lites that will work with a small rear rack clamped to the seat post and seat stays.

There is a big range in camping gear, but expect to spend $200 for good small tent, at least $200 for a down sleeping bag, $100 for a good pad....then there's cooking equipment, electronics, compression sacks. If you are starting from scratch and want some fancy stuff expect to spend between $500 and $1000. Or you could just get some stuff sacks and use stuff you already have and spend very little.
Old 03-31-16, 10:17 PM

Bikes: A little of everything

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you really are going to be doing a lot of rough roads, consider weighing the cost of stuff like that^ or of damaging your nice bikes, against just buying yourself a couple of old mountain bikes for $200-300 each and equipping them with cheap bags and panniers and camping gear, and leaving the road bikes at home.

I know that wasn't your question, but I see few reasons in the OP that say that your touring needs to be done with the fastest, lightest bikes you have (do you have difficult time/distance constraints?) and many reasons to go with a tool more specific to the job.

I've found that I dislike trying to multitask with road bikes- taking on and off racks and mudguards and big lights and swapping wheels and tires so I could tour one weekend and road ride the next? It sucks. Plus I'm no good at packing light. When I bought myself a carbon bike, I made sure it was impossible to mount a rack on it (because I knew if it would, eventually I'd do it).
Old 03-31-16, 10:41 PM

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
can you borrow/rent a bob trailer? skewer mounted.
not sure how those chainstay mount kiddie/cargo
trailers would affect a carbon bike.

unless i missed it, you didn't mention how much or
what kind of lightweight camping gear you have.
no point in buying a bunch of tiny frame/seat bags
if your current (or borrowed) gear won't fit.

so throw your stuff in a bob and do a short tour.
it's only 12 pounds....not much more than rack
and bags....and you don't have to fully load it.

you're doing short-ish tours....50-80 miles/day?
bob won't slow you down that much. so it takes
an extra 45 minutes.......you like riding, dontcha?

maybe figger out what stuff you need, then can
figger out how much space you need to carry it.
Old 04-01-16, 01:08 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by saddlesores
can you borrow/rent a bob trailer? skewer mounted.
not sure how those chainstay mount kiddie/cargo
trailers would affect a carbon bike.

unless i missed it, you didn't mention how much or
what kind of lightweight camping gear you have.
no point in buying a bunch of tiny frame/seat bags
if your current (or borrowed) gear won't fit.

you're doing short-ish tours....50-80 miles/day?
bob won't slow you down that much. so it takes
an extra 45 minutes.......you like riding, dontcha?

maybe figger out what stuff you need, then can
figger out how much space you need to carry it.
I basically agree with you that a Bob can be a serious option. But it does weigh 2x of 2 racks and 4 panniers.
I also wonder about the stability of bike packing gear.
Old 04-01-16, 08:09 AM
nun

Originally Posted by saddlesores
You'd have to go with a full set of the heavy Arkel panniers and racks to get to 12lbs. My bags weigh 2lbs, which is heavy for their volume, and a full set of bike packing bags is lighter.
Old 04-01-16, 10:06 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
A final option would be to ride in a supported tour, where all you have to carry is a normal seat bag, water bottles, etc. I have ridden a number of supported tours over the years and it's a great way to travel by bike if you don't have a touring bike, panniers and other gear.
+1 on this recommendation. There's a bunch of operators who will set you up, and all you have to do is ride from one town to the next. Equipment cost: $20 duffel, if you don't already have one.

The other way to dip your toe into the water would be credit card touring, going from motel to B&B. Frame bag(s), saddle or bar bag, just enough to carry spare clothes.

I did it the other way, using a touring bike for commuting for years before I loaded it up and headed for the road. Since then I've enjoyed having someone else haul my gear from place to place. But since OP has a nice carbon bike, finding out if riding 4-8 hours a day for a week, or several weeks together, is something he enjoys makes a lot of sense BEFORE investing in a loaded touring setup.

Kind of unfortunate OP has a carbon bike, I'd be willing to try more options with titanium, or steel...
Old 04-01-16, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Lately I've taken interest in bike touring but I have ZERO experience with it. I've been reading books and blogs and one day I hope to do the Trans AM route but that will be years before I can do it.

My teenager son has shown some interest as well and we are planing a few overnight (or 3 day weekend) trips over the spring and summer but here is our dilemma.

Both of our road bikes don't have rack mounts but will take a 28mm tire that would be helpful as some routes may include crushed limestone paths (up to 50 miles of it). I'm not sure of our options are for carrying gear. I've seen those seat post mounted racks that claim to hold up to 20lbs each. I figured that between the 2 of us that should be enough but I'm not sure about putting an extra 20lbs + the rack itself on my carbon FUji Gran fondo…

What are your experiences with light touring as a road rider. Are there any other options I'm missing??

Originally Posted by tarwheel
You've got several options. …Alternatively, get a large seatbag such as a Carradice, and travel very light. If you are credit-card touring and staying in hotels, you can tour surprisingly light… Panniers are not realistic unless you willing to put a rear rack on your bike, and you still might have heel clearance issues.

A final option would be to ride in a supported tour, where all you have to carry is a normal seat bag, water bottles, etc. I have ridden a number of supported tours over the years and it's a great way to travel by bike if you don't have a touring bike, panniers and other gear.
I too have a lightweight carbon fiber bike without eyelets, and would not dare add a clamp-on rack to my CF seatpost. Around Boston are plenty of nice destinations within a day or two ride of my home downtown. Though I may be a profligate packer, this solution would be fine with me for a two or three day deluxe credit card excursion.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
This weekend I bought one of these Green Guru Bike Packs for my high end carbon fiber bike with carbon fiber seat post. I have been looking for a seat bag with larger volumes than the typical small tool bags. I wanted something to carry voluminous but lightweight stuff like extra clothing and food, besides tools, spares etc, but I lack rear stay eyelets for a rack, and can't clamp onto a carbon fiber seat post.

Today I carried a pair of shoes and tools. It might be cool to attach my toolbag outside the bikepack, if possible, to further expand the volume, and make the tools more quickly accessible. I might even revert to using an (empty) back pack as well, as a lightweight "reserve" cargo space, e.g. for an extended ride to stow a light weight jacket or fleece as the day warms up.

The pictures below show the Bike Pack fully extended. It has a roller type closure like the Ortlieb pannier bags to expand or collapse for the particular cargo. A Velco strap attaches the bag to the seat post without much stress, and straps with easy closures suspend the bag from the seat rails high above the wheels.

The only better alternative I have seen is a custom-made (four weeks) bag which requires an additional metal seat bag support.

PS: See this additional post about attaching tool bag.

Originally Posted by jen_turnbull
That's ridiculous, who needs a seat bag that big?

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
FWIW, maybe even enough (like a toothbrush) for an overnight credit card ride.
Attached Images
051.JPG (70.1 KB, 34 views)
DSCN1014.jpg (92.7 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-01-16 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

Revelate Designs LLC

Couple questions. The rear "trunk" bag. How difficult is it to access items from/to while mounted to the bike? Also, on the frame bags, I've seen a disclaimer either on Revelate's site, or maybe it was Banjo brothers that the attachments could scuff the paint. Is that a valid worry, or did you do something to save your paint like using inner tubes under the velcro straps, etc?
Old 04-04-16, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Craptacular8
Couple questions. The rear "trunk" bag. How difficult is it to access items from/to while mounted to the bike? Also, on the frame bags, I've seen a disclaimer either on Revelate's site, or maybe it was Banjo brothers that the attachments could scuff the paint. Is that a valid worry, or did you do something to save your paint like using inner tubes under the velcro straps, etc?
The saddle bag is a dry bag designed to fit into a holster, held in place by straps. It is simply a matter of undoing two clips that hold straps around the back, and depending how tightly you pulled the side straps, loosening them up a bit to widen the holster. The entire dry bag then slides right out. Takes about 5 seconds to remove the bag, plus however long you need to access the stuff inside.

My frame is unpainted titanuim, so no worries about scuffing, but I suppose a painted frame could see some light abrasion. My view is a bike needs a few scratches and scuffs to show it has been used, and I personally wouldn't be the least bit concerned about it.
Old 04-04-16, 02:55 PM

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Pro steel, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, 2016 Norco Search, 2018 Ritchey Breakaway, 2019 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Head over here: Bikepacking Routes, Gear, Inspiration - BIKEPACKING.com. Lots of stuff that would be applicable to what you're thinking of doing. Site concentrates on rack-less touring for MTB's, gravel bikes but totally pertinent to going light on a road bike as well.