Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2016 - Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-16, 11:29 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckbelle
4th place in the P12 crit, first part of the Sunshine Grand Prix.

Wet conditions with turn two becoming brick road. I got caught behind a crash and *barely* stayed upright, had to put a foot down. ...then a 5min solo chase to get back on while the others got a free lap. Not fun. Burned a couple matches. About a lap later a two girl break went and I was still recovering from the chase. I contributed to chasing but not enough people wanted to help, so I started to conserve the final 15min. I covered three hard attacks (shot her a smile after the last one, letting her know that I wasn't letting her get anywhere). I was second wheel behind her into the sprint, around the final corner...and I *completely* f'd up my tactics. She wound it up, I was dead on her wheel...and then I hesitated for 2-3 seconds, when another girl shot past and I had to play catch-up. She took third by 0.05s (1/4 of a wheel). I was reeling her back in but ran out of ground.

Looking for a win tomorrow. At least I got my first upgrade point towards Cat 1 ^_^
Sounds exciting! Nice job.

my race videos
Old 03-20-16, 12:11 AM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Did some TTs this morning. Connor Spencer (2nd at State last year in open/p12), and Dan Martin (age group rr world champ) beat me by the painfullest of margins.

1: 23:10
2: 23:11
3: 23:12

Mind your cables and shoe covers.

Ex and I did a 2-man TTT as a second ride and came in at 23:04, which is pretty good for a 2nd run. My first time ever doing a TTT and it was a lot of fun. Ex didn't even crash me out this ride!
Actually very good for a second run by two guys who's practice consisted of a 5 minute conversation about the three words we'd use to communicate. Technically one of the better TTT's I've done over the years, really smooth and we kept the speed up nicely. Fudgy's riding damn strong against some pretty good opposition, and was nice enough to tow me for a bit at the end when my legs wanted to take up lawn bowling.

Fast time of the day too.

I ended up 6th in the earlier TT, a minute off the winners at 24:12. Still a couple of months out from Nats and loading up the miles but seeing the occasional glimmer of the old Ex.
Old 03-20-16, 06:36 AM

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rideaz
Great to meet you today. Thanks for saying hi.
Glad you didn't go down in the crash.
Nice to meet you as well. Good luck on the last stage.
Old 03-20-16, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
First Wells Ave crit of the season. A/B combined, which turned into a pretty big race by the time things really got going. I was under strict orders to use the race to get some pack riding practice in and not to get frisky or go for a result, since I'm coming off a rest week and had a power test yesterday. So that's mostly what I did except for one point a bit past halfway where I sort of accidentally bridged to a break and backed off to avoid going too deep. I couldn't really have done a whole lot anyway, I was really, really flat today. I made a push to move up and sprint on the last lap and that went pretty well until about 300m to go, when there were really no more wheels to get to from where I was and I was forced to launch from way back before the leaders had even really begun sprinting. Once they did, I saw I was going nowhere and sat up for somewhere around 20th. "Around 20th," is pretty much the theme of my race results so far this year, but it's all good. I'm having a hell of a good time. It's nice to be racing again.
Old 03-20-16, 12:39 PM

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Did the Redkite TT.. I'm slow up hills... but easily 2min+ slower then last year. Tried new saddle which I like... but my helmet was a nightmare...kept scooting down blocking my vision in the TT position, so I rode most of the time on the bars. That's what I get for trying out new stuff...
Old 03-20-16, 05:15 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Santa Cruz Classic Criterium, cat 3

around 30 guys lined up. Fun fun course, right 180 to a fast descent, fast straight, a couple turns rising to a tight section and a 90 right turn to a big ring power climb, gradually evening out for a longish finish. Like I said fun course. Crashes every year, but usually on a slower section.

Legs were meh. Not overly fatigued from 2 races yesterday, but enough that the first 10 minutes hurt.

A few guys got dropped or crashed out. 3 got away fairly early, but I didn't know it. Once the pace leveled off, I recovered a bit then rolled up front to attack. Was covered, but felt good so decided to keep the pace up a bit until a teammate told me we had a guy up the road. Oops.

our guy ended up coming back though and the other 2 stuck it. Felt surprisingly good for the field sprint. Couldn't find my teammate to lead out, and picked the wrong side of the road on the turn before the finish. This is a course where it is vitally important to carry speed through that turn for the power climb, yet not be first through. I was sitting a few wheels back, but left side slowed up. Guy zipped through the right with 3 guys on his wheel, including teammate who took 2nd in the field sprint.

I only managed 10th of field, 12th in the race. But felt pretty good compared to last year, so there's that.

50 minutes, 273/330 AP/NP

Edit: I'm inclined to think today's numbers are pretty accurate, but yesterdays first race was 50 minutes 294/343, and this sitting in the break not doing much work and feeling good. Could maybe be legit, and I was just really on form, but then again maybe the power meter needs a good calibration.

Last edited by aaronmcd; 03-20-16 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Sat. morning 11.5 mile TT Cat 4/5

Time was 31:12 I think. Finished 14 out of 24. Got early this time and got ~20 minutes of warmup. Was pretty cold so I wore my winter tights, thermal jersey, gloves, the whole thing. Read a lot about not starting too hard so I did just that, although I think I might have started too slow. At around mile three I was passed by a pointy dome, who I passed back before the turnaround (mile three to six were uphill) but he quickly passed me back and rode into the horizon. Felt pretty good, I think I did a pretty decent job at staying 'aero.' Ended with 255 AP and 258 NP. I think I could have done 260. Enjoyed it more that I thought I would tbh even though my time and placing are nothing to write home about.

Sat. afternoon Crit 4/5

Same venue as Tuesday's practice crit but different course. We had 50 riders. Unlike on Tuesday were I could keep at the front all the way throughout, I spent most of the time inside the pack, closer to the back than to the front, on this one. Didn't really participate much in the race tbh, I just hung out in the peloton, I have to admit I was a bit uneasy. At least I was never in danger of being dropped. Few attacks were made but they quickly were caught (or so I thought, someone went solo and won. I didn't even notice.) Struck my pedal on the fast downhill corner at some point but nothing happened fortunately. About 38 minutes into the race I decided to move forward and found myself on the front. We crossed the line and we got the bell. Race was supposed to be 45 minutes long so I was a bit confused, wasn't sure whether it was the last lap or a prime lap. Still, tried to stay near the front but it was very strung out and had a hard time finding a wheel to hold. A gap formed in the pack and I was lucky to be on the right end of it. Uphill finish was a bit of a mess. Ended up 14th (again), not too bad I guess. AP 205 and NP 223, so clearly I didn't work too hard on this one.

Sunday morning post snow crazy cold and wet crit 4/5

This one was really close from home so I rode there. Probably too early though, stood around for like half an hour freezing my arse off. Smaller field than yesterday, maybe 25-30. Once we were going the weather was not too bad. Had a lot of fun on this one, I felt more at ease inside the pack and I felt more confident while cornering. The pack stayed together all throughout. There were a few moves but they were quickly brought back, including one in which I tried to go with two other riders. Second to last lap I was sitting in the pack taking it easy, so I decided that I wanted to be in the front for the last lap. Last corner before the main straight I struck my pedal again but this time down I went. I guess I should stop pedaling through corners (or learn to corner properly.) Just minor bruises, no big deal. The bike is fine too, but my bibs will need some mending. A shame as I was feeling up for it. Not that I had enough to place well, but still. AP and NP were again 205 and 223 amusingly. I feel like I rode well although I spent more time on the wind than I would've liked.

All in all, a fun first week of racing.
Old 03-20-16, 07:02 PM
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Actually very good for a second run by two guys who's practice consisted of a 5 minute conversation about the three words we'd use to communicate.
BTW, those were : SLOW DOWN *******
Old 03-20-16, 07:08 PM
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
3 got away fairly early, but I didn't know it.
Gotta work on that. We all get caught on this once in a while (after decades of two wheel racing I still catch myself looking at the wheel in front of me from time to time); it's an indicator that you're not watching up the road vs. the folks in front of you. That's problematic from both a tactical standpoint, avoiding crashes, and avoiding teammates flattening your tires.

Hilly courses give us a great opportunity to see what's going on. Keep that head up.
Old 03-20-16, 07:32 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I did the santa cruz crit today. The downhill hairpin was not my forte. The narrow field-extruding turn into the uphill was not my forte. Good workout though.

30 intervals of 20s ranging from 600-900w. Ex probably thought I complained about my fatness yesterday. I did finally join you cheaters in having a ~55 minute 100+ (105) tss ride though!

I finished about 15th of some number larger than that. And with 2 to go I fought my way into the leadout train of a crit national champion, taking his wheel. If only I had been brave enough to do that all race I might have saved the juiced I needed to stay there.
Old 03-20-16, 08:43 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stage 3 of TBC was a 39 mile circuit race. It was going well until a rider in front of me crashed on a corner and was suddenly on the ground in front of me, no time to react so I ran right into her, went over my bars and then another rider ran into both of us. I got up and did a quick body and bike check. Shifters were bent in and my brakes stuck on but I got things moving and one of the other crashed riders was starting to ride again (the girl that went down first was not so lucky, she looked pretty banged up). The group were long gone but the two of us decided to ride and see how we felt, she is a pro triathlete so pretty soon we were TTing it and I found a few gears that worked ok. For the next 6 miles we chased and finally caught the back of the group. I was so happy to see that follow motorcycle! I was gassed though and just hung out at the back for the remainder of the race. Finished with the front pack so no time loss. Ended up 13th in GC in a field that included UCI teams. It was a great weekend except for the crash. Started to feel pretty sore on the drive home, wrist is definitely going to need some TLC, but bike looks good.

Last edited by rideaz; 03-20-16 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 10:43 PM
Resident Alien

Ice ice baby.

Sorry to read that.
Old 03-20-16, 10:50 PM

Sorry about the crash, but awesome that you were able to catch back on!
Old 03-20-16, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf
I did the santa cruz crit today. The downhill hairpin was not my forte. The narrow field-extruding turn into the uphill was not my forte. Good workout though.

30 intervals of 20s ranging from 600-900w. Ex probably thought I complained about my fatness yesterday. I did finally join you cheaters in having a ~55 minute 100+ (105) tss ride though!

I finished about 15th of some number larger than that. And with 2 to go I fought my way into the leadout train of a crit national champion, taking his wheel. If only I had been brave enough to do that all race I might have saved the juiced I needed to stay there.
That graph is exactly how my race was! Almost entirely recovery pace, with such high anaerobic burts that the average was up in the high tempo range.
Old 03-20-16, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Gotta work on that. We all get caught on this once in a while (after decades of two wheel racing I still catch myself looking at the wheel in front of me from time to time); it's an indicator that you're not watching up the road vs. the folks in front of you. That's problematic from both a tactical standpoint, avoiding crashes, and avoiding teammates flattening your tires.

Hilly courses give us a great opportunity to see what's going on. Keep that head up.
Yeah, I should have been paying better attention. Was in survive at the back mode for a while, and I knew I personally wasn't going in any breaks so failed to note when a teammate did. Honestly it is very hard to see what's going on at the front on that course unless you are near the front, or on the long bottom stretch, and in this case it didn't affect anything, but yes, in a perfect world I should have seen it. I wasn't the only one who missed noting a break getting away.
Old 03-21-16, 05:49 AM
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
First Wells Ave crit of the season. A/B combined, which turned into a pretty big race by the time things really got going. I was under strict orders to use the race to get some pack riding practice in and not to get frisky or go for a result, since I'm coming off a rest week and had a power test yesterday. So that's mostly what I did except for one point a bit past halfway where I sort of accidentally bridged to a break and backed off to avoid going too deep. I couldn't really have done a whole lot anyway, I was really, really flat today. I made a push to move up and sprint on the last lap and that went pretty well until about 300m to go, when there were really no more wheels to get to from where I was and I was forced to launch from way back before the leaders had even really begun sprinting. Once they did, I saw I was going nowhere and sat up for somewhere around 20th. "Around 20th," is pretty much the theme of my race results so far this year, but it's all good. I'm having a hell of a good time. It's nice to be racing again.
The wife and I were there. I knew the blue/orange kits looked familiar but couldn't place it. We used it as a workout day/pack riding rehab since there are no group rides or many team members local to us. She can keep up with the B race, but was shelled in the A/B especially since there were so many prime laps. I could actually sit in on this one. Felt great. I wasn't gunning for a result (not that I could in that field) so ended up with the pack which was fine with me.

The MRC riders that were there are no joke. The guy who won went from 5-2 last season.
Old 03-21-16, 08:19 AM
cb3

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac sl4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
42 Mile RR, Cat 4/5

Thank goodness for an afternoon start after a day of st. pattys parade boozin! Wanted to race the 3/4 in the morning but the teammates didn't want to hurt that bad.

Race started out slow and quite windy, pulled on the front for most of the first lap (4 laps of 10 miles). A team had 11 riders so i didn't want them to send a couple off and block the small country road as the center line rule was in affect. Mile 12 about 9 of us went off the front and created a small gap. About 20 miles to go there were only 6. Finish was into a stiff headwind and I was by far the smallest guy in the group. Would up the pace on any rollers and let the guys get on me about pushing the pace.. 2 miles to go and I was still feeling good, even had a rider tell me to stay with the pack a little longer than take my W... well... hit the last roller hard and realized i had zero pop in my legs (blame the booze).. strung out the pack and then let a few go by so i could tuck in for the final headwind sprint. Probably didn't crest 400 watts in that sprint it was pathetic. you booze you lose! rolled in 4th a bit pissed off.

On the plus side, im about 2 points from my 3 upgrade which i hope to have very shortly
Old 03-21-16, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rideaz, heal up quick.

Fudgy, that looks a lot like my power curves from the Bethel races, just down a notch. Between the M45+ and the P/1/2/3, there was ~68 laps of that ****.
Old 03-21-16, 09:45 AM

rideaz, nice racing and heal up!

Originally Posted by Harlan
The wife and I were there. I knew the blue/orange kits looked familiar but couldn't place it. We used it as a workout day/pack riding rehab since there are no group rides or many team members local to us. She can keep up with the B race, but was shelled in the A/B especially since there were so many prime laps. I could actually sit in on this one. Felt great. I wasn't gunning for a result (not that I could in that field) so ended up with the pack which was fine with me.

The MRC riders that were there are no joke. The guy who won went from 5-2 last season.
Yep, that's us. We had good representation and we're pretty easy to spot. Trying to figure out from your avatar pic - are you with CCB?

TBH there weren't a lot of big guns in that race. Brad is very strong, obviously, but when the class of the field is a handful of MRC and Race CF riders (though to be fair some of those kids are VERY fast), it's not vintage Wells. The A race can be seriously bonkers fast depending on the crew that shows up.
Old 03-21-16, 09:51 AM
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Yep, that's us. We had good representation and we're pretty easy to spot. Trying to figure out from your avatar pic - are you with CCB?

TBH there weren't a lot of big guns in that race. Brad is very strong, obviously, but when the class of the field is a handful of MRC and Race CF riders (though to be fair some of those kids are VERY fast), it's not vintage Wells. The A race can be seriously bonkers fast depending on the crew that shows up.
Corner Cycle, local shop. Same colors so I kept thinking my wife was making a move when it wasn't actually her.

I guess I haven't stuck around to watch an A yet. We marshal the C and B sometimes.
Old 03-21-16, 09:55 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harlan
Corner Cycle, local shop.
I raced for MBRC, sponsored in part by Corner Cycle, in the 80's. I know a few of their Masters riders as well as the family that started the shop.
Old 03-21-16, 09:56 AM

Ah ok, I recognize Corner Cycle. I'm sure I've seen you at the races then, but haven't said hello. I'll be at Ninigrit, so say hi! Me and mikey are the short ones on B2C2 so we're not hard to spot (but to be clear, mikey is shorter than me ).
Old 03-21-16, 10:05 AM

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
seeing the race reports is giving me the itch to get back into it this season, hopefully I can start actually thinking about it in the next few weeks if other stuff gets done, even if i'm woefully out of shape in comparison to the recent past. i have no license and no club affiliation at this point, so I'm a free agent lol will have to try wells for sure at some point
Old 03-21-16, 10:29 AM

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well...

First place, P12 at the Sunshine Grand Prix #2 circuit race at Pinellas Park.

About 30 of us. 50min. Lots of attacks but nothing significant got away. I wasn't going to repeat Saturday's hesitation during the sprint. I spent the final two 2mi laps right at the front (either 2nd or 3rd wheel), and was constantly protecting myself from being boxed in. A strong girl (who beat me in the sprint for 3rd on Saturday) did a bit of a lead out until 600m. One of the Stradelli girls attacked and I was straight onto her wheel, and the other Stradelli girl immediately counter punched from the far side of the road (weird tactic, to go from 550m). I was straight onto her wheel, beside her at 500m and thought, "F it...GO!" So I dug in, went from 500m, got a gap, and held it to the finish. I was dying the last 100m but I still had a 2 bike gap up to the line when I sat up. A couple legit pros in the race, so I'm SUPER happy with this win.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160320_133858.jpg (97.8 KB, 83 views)
Old 03-21-16, 10:32 AM
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wussed out of doing wells because I was tired and didn't want to bundle up. Not 100% sure it was the right decision, but I am not really regretting it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.