Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 02:21 PM

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenry01
Last evening my Hybrid took me as far as the front yard to play chase bike while helping teach my granddaughter how to ride a bike (with no training wheels.) She has been putting around with training wheels and never really learned how to balance the bike. Her dad and I took her training wheels and pedals off so she can learn to balance. Last night she did pretty good and can coast until she slows down and has to put her feed down. Tonight The old Trek 720 Multi-Track may have to chase for real as I think it's time to put the pedals back on so she has a place to put her feet while coasting. If that works out we may actually have to make her pedal!!!!! I think I'll mount the GoPro up and get some video!
If she can coast, throw those pedals back on and she'll start pedalling in no time. It took my daughter 2 days (about 20 minutes a day) with the "no pedals" method which I learned on this forum. I must also say that I took the pedals off her older smaller bike. The second day she asked to try it on her bigger bike with pedals and it worked. A couple of weeks ago she did 7km.
Old 07-17-17, 02:24 PM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sh00k
beautiful. I bet you went to Porcao afterwards to celebrate
Porcao's been closed for years my friend.
Old 07-17-17, 02:48 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Rockhopper, '91 Trek 700 M-T, '93 Trek 720 M-T, '93 Cannondale M500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
great! we liked empty school parking lots on quiet weekends when my kids were learning
That is exactly where my grandson learned to ride last year.
Old 07-18-17, 06:49 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by andrei_r
Porcao's been closed for years my friend.
Has it??? noooooo!!!!!! I went back in 06 if i recall correctly. I loved brasilia and porcao was amazing... sad to hear it's now closed
Old 07-18-17, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Rode 21miles this morning, a mix of road/singletrack! The good old Trek handled everything with style and grace...however I had to stop multiple times to remove spiders that were crawling around on me after I ran through their webs
Bruce

Old 07-20-17, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No where, worked late and had to cut the lawn, looking to ride tonight.
Old 07-21-17, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Yesterday, after work, my Giant TR, took me on a micro adventure. We rode 38km an 1300m to the nearby mountains. I reached the camping spot right after the sunset and I spent the night just me and my Giant under the stars ♡. This morning I rode down fast to take a shower and hit the office in time. This type of micro adventure was inspired by the videos of Alastair Humphreys https://www.alastairhumphreys.com/

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jSDC15svtchw0aDE2
Old 07-21-17, 12:48 PM

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by fabian.milea
Yesterday, after work, my Giant TR, took me on a micro adventure. We rode 38km an 1300m to the nearby mountains. I reached the camping spot right after the sunset and I spent the night just me and my Giant under the stars ♡. This morning I rode down fast to take a shower and hit the office in time. This type of micro adventure was inspired by the videos of Alastair Humphreys Home - Alastair Humphreys

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jSDC15svtchw0aDE2
That's great! I heard him interviewed about "microadventuring" on "The Art of Manliness" podcast a couple years ago. Really inspiring!

Cheers!
Old 07-21-17, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Through orchards and sunflower fields...benefits of living out in the boonies!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2017-07-21_12.43.55.jpg (97.0 KB, 301 views)
Old 07-22-17, 05:47 PM

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rainy day don't stop me yo ! Got a nice 48 mile ride in down through the beach, first time I got the new bike really dirty. It was kind of nice to ride in rainy and overcast weather, kept the Florida heat at bay for a change, forgot how nice it is to ride in "cooler" temperatures.

Cyclemeter - Cycle - Jul 22, 2017, 10:39 AM

Old 07-22-17, 05:51 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sarahbruce
Rode 21miles this morning, a mix of road/singletrack! The good old Trek handled everything with style and grace...however I had to stop multiple times to remove spiders that were crawling around on me after I ran through their webs
Bruce

Nice ride I see you're in Ocala, I get up that way at times, is there a good trail you could recommend ?
Old 07-22-17, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I rode a few miles around beautiful Asheville, NC this morning. It's a nice bike city, bike lanes are plentiful and drivers seem pretty chill. We didn't go very far because the green way we were on is incomplete and we weren't sure how rough the terrain would be. A nice man told us when we got back to our car it's very manageable and only a quarter mile of rougher terrain that I could easily walk if needed. So we'll be going back soon. I did a big down hill, and was so happy for hydraulic disk brakes, but my hand it's killing me tonight. It's been 7 weeks since I broke it, I'm over it. So I'll be taking it easy the next few days in preparation for a bunch of group rides I want to do the first week of August.
Old 07-23-17, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
Nice ride I see you're in Ocala, I get up that way at times, is there a good trail you could recommend ?
If you are looking for singletrack, Santos is huge! Lots of very nice trails of all skill levels. If paved trails are more your thing, Baseline has a good loop, but is not very long. A paved trail is actually under construction right now at Santos and will be pretty awesome once completed. They are working fast on it. And if you want some dirt roads/pavement mixed, I have ridden out by the bombing range in the Ocala National forest. There are miles and miles of decent dirt roads out there, but little in the way of shade, so the sun can really get you!
Bruce
Old 07-23-17, 09:22 PM
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I rode around the Brickyard 400 today. I live in Indianapolis about a mile from the track so it's not unusual for me to ride near the track. However, there was a race today. Wish I had taken my camera.
Old 07-24-17, 06:03 AM

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
I rode around the Brickyard 400 today. I live in Indianapolis about a mile from the track so it's not unusual for me to ride near the track. However, there was a race today.
And what a finish it was!
Old 08-03-17, 08:15 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Played hooky, got a few miles in today, got to both sides of the county, saw the Gulf and the Bay, good day.

Cyclemeter - Cycle - Aug 3, 2017, 10:25 AM

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 08-03-17 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-06-17, 01:41 PM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
This morning did a 40km, 799m climb ride. Mostly dirt/gravel.
Strava
Pictures

Last edited by andrei_r; 08-06-17 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-08-17, 12:07 PM
R*dRid*r

Bikes: 1993 Diamondback Ascent EX black 22.5", 2018 Trek FX 3 Red 25"

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Home for lunch and back to work; I'll be heading to the post office and the bank for the daily deposit very soon. Gotta love the cooler weather!
Old 08-08-17, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Took a 40 mile ride today.
Old 08-13-17, 02:57 PM

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did 44 miles in 100+ degrees around the Wetlands Preserve near Las Vegas. Biking is hard. Oh, and don't trust your sun stroked riding partner to take a decent picture. But if you look closely you can just see the rare and wild orange Target shopping cart some jacka** threw in the water.

Last edited by jase33; 08-13-17 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-26-17, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
43min before eclipse, Jacksonville Beach:
Old 08-27-17, 05:33 AM

My daughter and I rode some on the C&O Canal trail yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We'll be back for more for sure. We did 12.5 miles from Brunswick up to Harper's Ferry and back. Saw lots of turtles, two deer, and a blue heron.

14 pics at this link: https://goo.gl/photos/mAqBKRsheiWZbTyGA

We brought lunch with us, and you can see our improvised panniers. These are two lunch coolers that normally sit vertically and zip open. They have loops up near the top for a strap, so they actually worked perfectly with small zip ties to my rack. I haven't yet figured out the bag setup I want for my bikes, but this really worked well yesterday.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 08-27-17 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-27-17, 05:02 PM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
My daughter and I rode some on the C&O Canal trail yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We'll be back for more for sure. We did 12.5 miles from Brunswick up to Harper's Ferry and back. Saw lots of turtles, two deer, and a blue heron.

14 pics at this link: https://goo.gl/photos/mAqBKRsheiWZbTyGA

We brought lunch with us, and you can see our improvised panniers. These are two lunch coolers that normally sit vertically and zip open. They have loops up near the top for a strap, so they actually worked perfectly with small zip ties to my rack. I haven't yet figured out the bag setup I want for my bikes, but this really worked well yesterday.
Great family time! What's your daughter's bike?
What happened to the trekking bars on the multitrack?
Old 08-27-17, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by andrei_r
Great family time! What's your daughter's bike?
What happened to the trekking bars on the multitrack?
Her bike is my first adult bike, a 1995 Motiv Stonegrinder. It's the only bike I rode for years. I upgraded various parts and pieces over time, mostly brakes and tires. It still wears the original Shimano STX drivetrain. The Alivio Rapid Fire brake/shifter combos that came on it were replaced and it now has SL-M310 shifters and Avid FR-5 brake levers. Tires are Michelin Country Rock (44-559) which are super supple -- I love those tires for 559mm wheels. I have found this particular bike to be near bomb-proof, and I actually bought another one off Craigslist a few months ago. Exact same bike, but it has original paint. I spray-bombed mine a few years ago. This is that bike, and it's also what my daughter's bike looks like under the copper/bronze paint:

IMG_20170815_070202194 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

I put a riser bar back on the Multi Track for a few reasons. The predominant reason was the design of the trekking bar necessarily puts the brake levers and shifters fairly close to the stem, so I feel like my arms are compressed in when I'm riding. If I hold the outer part of the bar, it's fine (it's about 580mm at the widest part), but the brakes and shifters aren't out there. I tried a lot of different ways to configure it, but I just couldn't find something that made me happier than how I had it -- and I ended up wanting something different than that. So I have a riser bar back on it. They actually have more rise and more backsweep than the factory Multi Track bar, which I find helpful (mostly the backsweep). I've been tempted by the Jones H bar or similar, but I just can't seem to come off the money for those, so this one is working for now. With the Ergon GP3 grips with integrated bar ends, it was actually pretty comfortable for me on the 12.5 miles. Saddle comfort was the limiting factor for me.

It was a helpful trip for seeing how others have their bikes set up. I would say that the majority of people had their bikes set up very upright (moreso than I have mine), almost like many European commuters have theirs. I saw a lot of bike tourists on Saturday with loaded bikes with flat/riser bars and tall stems. It encouraged me to consider raising mine up even further. I have my Verve's bar up pretty tall, and I actually did some measuring tonight.

Verve:
Stack: 31.25" from BB axis to handlebar at stem
Reach: 17.25" from BB axis to handlebar at stem

Multi Track 750:
Stack: 28.00"
Reach: 18.25"

My Verve's bar is up over three inches higher than the 750's bar, and with slightly less reach. It's definitely a different position, and I may try it on the 750 as well. I don't ride the Verve much on longer trips, but I think I'll try to do some 10-15 mile rides with it and see how that posture works for me. The Verve is the "cruiser" bike I take to shorter jaunts down to the market or to the playground at the park with the kids.

Seeing the true distance riders today with their upright postures gave me some encouragement to try that with mine.
Old 09-02-17, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 152 Posts
Haven't posted here for a while so here's a shot along the Adelaide coast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.