Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

you guys are all posers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

you guys are all posers

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 10:22 AM

Bikes: BD Motobecane Gran Turismo, Magna Chinese Junk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Arizona and Florida are beautiful states, it's the vast majority of people that live there that are the problem.

And LSD should be properly enjoyed in the woods, at night, with a strong wind blowing.
Does parachuting out of a C-130 off the tailgate count?
Old 09-04-13, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad to see this thread has legs. BTW, I asked a Japanese friend that I skype with weekly about his bizarre car passing advice, i.e. that you go into the lane, pass on the right in front of the car, and then go back on the shoulder on the left. She was as perplexed as I was on why you would need to do that, but then again she's not a road cyclist so who knows.
Old 09-04-13, 10:51 AM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 3,256 Times in 1,710 Posts
What's wrong with trying to look good? That's why I'm in this game.

Also don't hate because your belly is too big to subscribe to the competitive cyclist aesthetic.

Last edited by TMonk; 09-04-13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-04-13, 10:54 AM
Not actually Tmonk

How can you tell that I'm a fit cyclist when you see me on the road? Is it the smooth, shiny legs? Matching kit? Deep wheels?

A more astute observer will notice things like how thin I am, my smooth high cadence, a relaxed upper body, etc.
Old 09-04-13, 08:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've never seen kids playing basketball on the street wearing a Bulls jersey? Really?

You've never seen a person wearing Nike on the golf course? Really?
..Ain't what I said sporto..

"if someone can't figure out somebody's skill level on sight based on riding poise and technique, then they more than likely are wearing one of those rolling billboard jerseys anyway."
(That's my mission..!)

I know a 7 year old kid who wears Spider man jammies. He thinks he's really spider man too whenever he's on his after school nightly mission. I think you've got a slightly shortened attention span. Must be that endorphin rush huh..? No offense tho.
Old 09-04-13, 09:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
How can you tell that I'm a fit cyclist when you see me on the road? Is it the smooth, shiny legs? Matching kit? Deep wheels?

A more astute observer will notice things like how thin I am, my smooth high cadence, a relaxed upper body, etc.
In context.. Presumably I'd be riding along for a bit along side or from behind, not looking from across the street. It would take all of about 5 or 10 minutes. Far less if you were a rolling ad-jersey for Team Liquigas Cannondale.

And shaved legs don't get it either, even SOME pro cyclists don't know why they do it SOMETIMES. Doubt you do either.

Last edited by old sch wheeler; 09-04-13 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-04-13, 09:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's wrong with trying to look good? That's why I'm in this game.

Also don't hate because your belly is too big to subscribe to the competitive cyclist aesthetic.
Nothing... but looking silly and ridiculous and out of your league is another matter.
Old 09-04-13, 09:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I think he's on a mission.
I think your certainly are Lance. ...Still getting residuals from US Postal..?

Last edited by old sch wheeler; 09-04-13 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-04-13, 09:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Sorry, saying that doesn't give you a free pass to be offensive.
None intended ...said that plain as day... you know this is a plain case of if the flu $hits wear it. Have a nice day.
Old 09-04-13, 09:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
..zackly... my point!
Old 09-04-13, 09:26 PM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13752 Post(s)
Liked 4,550 Times in 2,523 Posts
Originally Posted by old sch wheeler
I think your certainly are Lance. ...Still getting residuals from US Postal..?
I wish.
Old 09-04-13, 09:35 PM

Bikes: All have flats.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The quality of this thread just went up tenfold.
Old 09-04-13, 10:02 PM
Not actually Tmonk

..zackly... my point!
alright well atleast we agree on some level. those things I had mentioned (smoothness/efficiency) are independent of attire and exhibited by experienced, fit cyclists of all disciplines.

regarding the shaved legs and kit: I think I do know why I do it. For the looks! (vanity). Also I suppose that I am a very conventional person so that probably contributes something (competitive road/track cyclist here).

Nothing... but looking silly and ridiculous and out of your league is another matter.
Which makes me have to question you: How good do you have to be to not look "out of your league." Is it like a w/kg thing for you?
Just a rhetorical question. FWIW I am not now, nor will ever be anything close to a professional cyclist, fitness wise.

added in edit: another good reason to be a rolling billboard is because it can be cheap! 2 seasons ago I was kicking ass and earned a sponsorship that included free clothing, helmet, shades and a bike to ride/race.

Last edited by TMonk; 09-04-13 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-04-13, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
..Ain't what I said sporto..

"if someone can't figure out somebody's skill level on sight based on riding poise and technique, then they more than likely are wearing one of those rolling billboard jerseys anyway."
(That's my mission..!)

I know a 7 year old kid who wears Spider man jammies. He thinks he's really spider man too whenever he's on his after school nightly mission. I think you've got a slightly shortened attention span. Must be that endorphin rush huh..? No offense tho.
Umm, no offense taken, but I quoted you, and that is exactly what you said. Here, let me quote you again...

And, for the roadies, so many in skin-tight rolling billbords/ballerina suits, I don't get them either. I can't imagine someone showing up for a pick-up basketball game dressed up like Micheal Jordan or Dennis Rodman, or a round of w/e golf trying to look like Tiger Woods. There is something that says "poser" when riders sport jerseys emblazoned with Mavic, Look, Campagnolo, etc. (not calling anyone a poser ..I'm just saying!)
And again, I say, you've never seen someone playing street basketball in an NBA jersey? Really?
You've never seen a person playing golf wearing Nike? Really?

It happens daily and no one thinks they're Jordan or Woods, they're showing respect for the players they respect in the sport. And personally, I see nothing wrong with wearing team kit when you're a member of that team.

My attention span is just fine and my memory is pretty good too.

Last edited by SpeshulEd; 09-04-13 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-05-13, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were to shave my legs, and I will not be shaving my legs, but if I did, it'd be to keep them from catching bugs in my pelt.
Old 09-05-13, 03:16 AM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
bizarre but entertaining....no surprise that somebody who sees every bike ahead of him as a race...ends up being pretty strong. He was moving along nicely, I must say.
Old 09-05-13, 06:26 AM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepy
The stupid of this thread just went up tenfold.
ftfy
Old 09-05-13, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If your focus is on the clothing other cyclists are wearing, you're not riding hard enough.

btw, wrt wearing cycling kit, I keep hearing how silly people look all kitted out in pro team colors including gloves, shoes, helmet etc. Then I hear that it's ok if you ride for that team as you've earned it. Let's face it, to the average Joe out there we look stupid the second we put on any kit, be it all black or Garmin team colors. And you'll look equally dumb all kitted out in your local team crap. Don't believe me? Show up to the next Yankee game wearing your office team baseball gear, right down to the socks, cleats, helmet etc. That's exactly how you look on your bike in your local team gear to the non-cyclists out there. And who cares? Wear what you want.
Old 09-05-13, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
And why do you think it's "looking silly"?

Do a century in under 5 hours and then you can comment intelligently on the equipment (which includes clothing, BTW) used while doing so.

Until then you're just making fun of something you don't understand. In other words, displaying ignorance.
Old 09-05-13, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWC
If your focus is on the clothing other cyclists are wearing, you're not riding hard enough.

btw, wrt wearing cycling kit, I keep hearing how silly people look all kitted out in pro team colors including gloves, shoes, helmet etc. Then I hear that it's ok if you ride for that team as you've earned it. Let's face it, to the average Joe out there we look stupid the second we put on any kit, be it all black or Garmin team colors. And you'll look equally dumb all kitted out in your local team crap. Don't believe me? Show up to the next Yankee game wearing your office team baseball gear, right down to the socks, cleats, helmet etc. That's exactly how you look on your bike in your local team gear to the non-cyclists out there. And who cares? Wear what you want.
Going along with this...it's perfectly acceptable to wear a Yankee jersey to the Yankee game. I say it's the same on the bike. The problem comes when someone thinks they're better than everyone else because they are wearing team kit. That's silly.

Old 09-05-13, 08:34 AM
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
None intended ...said that plain as day... you know this is a plain case of if the flu $hits wear it. Have a nice day.
I can see charm school wasn't wasted on you.

Stay classy.

Old 09-05-13, 09:55 AM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Going along with this...it's perfectly acceptable to wear a Yankee jersey to the Yankee game. I say it's the same on the bike. The problem comes when someone thinks they're better than everyone else because they are wearing team kit. That's silly.
Based on what I read here, it seems much more common that people think they are better than everyone else because they're not wearing team kit.
Old 09-05-13, 11:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Umm, no offense taken, but I quoted you, and that is exactly what you said. Here, let me quote you again...

And again, I say, you've never seen someone playing street basketball in an NBA jersey? Really?
You've never seen a person playing golf wearing Nike? Really?

It happens daily and no one thinks they're Jordan or Woods, they're showing respect for the players they respect in the sport. And personally, I see nothing wrong with wearing team kit when you're a member of that team.

My attention span is just fine and my memory is pretty good too.
The operative phrase being:
"dressed up like Micheal Jordan or Dennis Rodman, or a round of w/e golf trying to look like Tiger Woods. "
..Last time I checked a basketball shirt that says "Bulls" is nowhere near "dressed up like Micheal Jordan or Dennis Rodman, or (playing) a round of w/e golf trying to look like Tiger Woods." The point is let's say you decide to show up for a bike ride with several corporate logos on your uniform of the day, without having said sponsorship. Your handy dandy uniform reeks of saying "hey look at me the expert." Same thing as wearing a team logo hat to a baseball game or a corporate logo to a round of buddy golf? Not hardly..

Gee.. I beg to differ (which is all I did, initially) before getting summarily pounced on by cyclist wannabes like you and friends. You reap what you sew, and what goes around comes around. Give it.. but can't take it! .. so go cry wah wah wah to yourself cuz I don't buy the BS. You're playing "dress up" as an adult at an rec activity. You DO have a short attention span. And lousy critical thought/logic too.
Old 09-05-13, 11:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Based on what I read here, it seems much more common that people think they are better than everyone else because they're not wearing team kit.
Not necessarily he case, there are attitude variables in play too.
Old 09-05-13, 11:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
I can see charm school wasn't wasted on you.

Stay classy.
They reap what was already sewed by the same crowd. I don't have to rollover for the dress-up boys, and so it goes.. what goes around comes around. Lousy critical thought/logic too in their dress-up mix (but not true with all). They're imagining (some of them) that they got their toes squished (after repeated calls of "no offense"). It's thin skin at play there (why..? is it too close to home or too near the TRUTH..?)..

And ultimately it equals crass whining on their part.

STILL no offense meant. But if it fits wear it, corporate logos and all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.