Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

My (slightly tearful) reaction to the Armstrong news

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

My (slightly tearful) reaction to the Armstrong news

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you feel about Lance Armstrong's doping allocations?

I dont believe he doped but i dont know! Lance is one of my hero's in life. Not only as a cyclist, but as a person. He not only battled a deadly cancer, but he has helped millions of people in the fight against cancer. I respect him in every way possible. But, besides the fact. What do you think happened? Do you think that he was part of the "most sophisticated doping cheat of all time"? OR do you believe he is innocent? I think he is innocent. There were hundreds of tests put up to him from various agencies and none of them actually found any REAL physical evidence that he doped. I think it is complete bull **** that he was on a 15 year investigation and there were no laws that kicked in from it. 15 YEARS!!! could you imagine that hell for 15 years?? I am really pissed off that it was allowed to go on that long with absolutely no evidence, other than the fact that he was dedicated human being, following his dreams. He has also done so much for cancer research, all he wanted was to help people. I feel really bad for him. As an unbiased fan, i am siding with him and do i believe he is innocent. What do you all think?
Old 10-10-12, 08:47 PM
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i've tried other peds

this one's the best.
Old 10-10-12, 08:51 PM
Spit out the back

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This has gone pretty far beyond "allegations." The report has some very strong evidence.

Face it, your hero is a fraud. Welcome to the real world.
Old 10-10-12, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jakepounder
I dont believe he doped but i dont know! Lance is one of my hero's in life. Not only as a cyclist, but as a person. He not only battled a deadly cancer, but he has helped millions of people in the fight against cancer. I respect him in every way possible. But, besides the fact. What do you think happened? Do you think that he was part of the "most sophisticated doping cheat of all time"? OR do you believe he is innocent? I think he is innocent. There were hundreds of tests put up to him from various agencies and none of them actually found any REAL physical evidence that he doped. I think it is complete bull **** that he was on a 15 year investigation and there were no laws that kicked in from it. 15 YEARS!!! could you imagine that hell for 15 years?? I am really pissed off that it was allowed to go on that long with absolutely no evidence, other than the fact that he was dedicated human being, following his dreams. He has also done so much for cancer research, all he wanted was to help people. I feel really bad for him. As an unbiased fan, i am siding with him and do i believe he is innocent. What do you all think?
Puh-Leeze, excuse me while I barf.
Old 10-10-12, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Allez3
Not saying Lance is innocent, but have you read the 200 pages? Talk about mental gymnastics.
You have direct testimony from multiple riders saying that Armstrong, Bruyneel and team doctors all discussed PED use, directed PED use, supplied PEDs, and Armstrong used PEDs. How complicated is it to follow that case?
Old 10-10-12, 09:19 PM
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mr. Armstrong cheated and lied. Many young athletes came to admire him for his courage and work ethic. What shall we say to them? Win at any cost! Cheat if you must! He and the other cyclists implicated in the report could have done so much after their retirements to promote good will about competitive cycling. Not now. This is a terrible indictment of professional cycling.
Old 10-10-12, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Clarabelle
I agree. To me, it was a lot like getting a ticket for running a red light just because they know that you have probably run a light in the past. If he tested clean, I don't see how they can "convict" on that. As far as the others claiming he did, what kind of pressure was exerted to get them to accuse him? The whole thing is a mess.
To reality, it's a lot like getting convicted of a crime because 26 people witnessed you doing it.
Old 10-10-12, 09:30 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tinrobot

Face it, your hero is a fraud. Welcome to the real world.
I dont think he is a fraud. He was a cyclist taking drugs who beat all the other cyclists taking drugs.
Old 10-10-12, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Angio Graham
I dont think he is a fraud. He was a cyclist taking drugs who beat all the other cyclists taking drugs.
Read Tyler's book and see how you feel afterwards.
Old 10-10-12, 09:39 PM

I think he is innocent. There were hundreds of tests put up to him from various agencies and none of them actually found any REAL physical evidence that he doped.
Your timing in starting this thread is impeccable. George Hincapie just confessed today that he doped prior to 2006. He never tested positive. Then you come here and post this crap about Lance never testing positive.

Like many others, you desperately need to catch up on current news. Read Tyler's book for starters.
Old 10-10-12, 09:40 PM

I respect him in every way possible.
What, like romantically? This is disgusting.

Your name, "jakepounder" makes a lot of sense now. Geez.

Last edited by colombo357; 10-10-12 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-10-12, 09:53 PM
Pretend Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think his doping allocations were carefully calculated to allow him to win 7 tours without being caught for doping, with the assistance of Dr. Ferrari.

I also think you didn't really mean "allocations"....
Old 10-10-12, 09:56 PM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
:

Old 10-10-12, 10:00 PM
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a casual fan while he was winning and thought it was cool that someone could win so often. For a long time I felt the allegations were just that. Over time, however, his denials started to sound evasive and the stories of those who knew things sounding more consistent and damning. Looking over the USADA evidence it all starts to coalesce into a pretty clear picture. On top of that, Lance looks like a pretty big d-bag. Personally, I can overlook the doping because it was part of an era. Hopefully we are leaving, or have left, that era and cycling is becoming clean and honest. However, it's much harder to overlook the lies, denials, coverups, threats (seriously, texting Levi's wife to run - wtf), and the pressure to other cyclists to also dope really pisses me off. I was willing to just let bygones be bygones and the whole thing to eventually blow over. At this point, I hope Lance get sued, prosecuted and fined into oblivion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...0a9_story.html
Old 10-10-12, 11:29 PM
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How 'bout dem moon landings. Always looked suspiciously like southern California to me.
Old 10-10-12, 11:32 PM
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In other news, OP read Tyler's book, watch his 60minutes interview, read the Reasoned Decision from USADA today. Do any of those things, really think about what they tell you and then post back here.
Old 10-10-12, 11:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clarabelle
I agree. To me, it was a lot like getting a ticket for running a red light just because they know that you have probably run a light in the past. If he tested clean, I don't see how they can "convict" on that. As far as the others claiming he did, what kind of pressure was exerted to get them to accuse him? The whole thing is a mess.
Tests aren't perfect, and Lance has failed several non-evidential tests.

If I'm accused of shooting up with heroin, and a bunch of blood tests are done and don't produce positive proof that I had heroin in my veins, but 26 people say they saw me taking heroin, my bank records showed me paying my dealer, and I had track marks all down my arms, what would you think?

The focus on testing betrays a serious misunderstanding of the nature of drug testing and of how most drug cheats are caught. Testing isn't perfect and never has been.

Originally Posted by bgilchrist
The USADA report is a joke. Unfortunately, most who stand by it won't read it in it's entirety and won't take the 5 minutes to read enough to realize there are some serious, serious credibility issues.
I've been attempting to work today and only skimmed the report. Several of my colleagues practice in sports law on the side. The one - the most senior - who read it while waiting in Court this morning, called it damning. I'm inclined to agree.

Lance quit his fight on what? August 23rd? Because USADA had all these riders who testified to him doping. Read the dates on the affidavits. Most are September/October this year. Yet USADA had this evidence before August 23rd?
Well, yes. That makes perfect sense, to a lawyer.

Before Lance abandoned his defence, USADA were expecting a hearing. So USADA lawyers would have been preparing to lead evidence orally. They would have prepared briefs of evidence, but probably not affidavits. Affidavits are sworn statements of evidence and are used as an alternative way of giving evidence from oral examination in the hearing. As a general rule, where witnesses will give evidence in person at a hearing, affidavits are not prepared.

So, USADA disclosed all its evidence to Armstrong, probably in the form of briefs of evidence with supporting source documents. That's normal.

Lance received the evidence, shat a brick, and abandoned his defence.

Now, no hearing. No evidence given orally. USADA needs to provide its decision and its evidence to UCI. But briefs of evidence technically aren't evidence; they're the notes of what the witness will say, not evidence themselves. They aren't sworn (generally). So USADA has to convert the statements and briefs of evidence and other documents into evidence. So the briefs get tweaked a bit, cleaned up, and turned into affidavits. Then they're sworn.

Most damning is Michael Barry's affidavit. It's dated October 8th. The 200 page report was released October 10th at noon. Yet quotes and references from Barry's affidavit are fully integrated into the report. That's impossible.
Nope. That's entirely normal. I've filed submissions that quote at length from affidavits sworn on the same day that the submissions were filed. USADA's lawyers will have been bouncing drafts of the affidavits backwards and forwards with the witnesses for weeks, and they're likely to be very similar to previous briefs or statements.

It can be really hard to actually get a damn affidavit sworn sometimes. Your witness is in - I've had this happen - Milan (just an example; could be anywhere). You've gotta deal with the time difference. You've gotta work out who on Earth can witness an affidavit being sworn in Italy, under your law and Italian law. Then you need to get him to swear the document properly, and then send you the original back.

I've had a finished, finalised affidavit waiting for over a week to be sworn, and affidavits sitting almost done for months while the witnesses compile supporting documents for just one paragraph that we need to add.

Often, the swearing of the affidavit is the thing that holds you up in filing all the other documents that rely on it. You and your witness have agreed on its content, and it's all finalised - but it's not sworn. Everything's ready to go, but you just need that document sworn.

Again, that is absolutely normal. Nothing weird there.

Did Lance dope? I don't know. But I do know that USADA doesn't know either and for some reason is out to throw innuendo and can't support their position or paper with their backup documents.
Anything to back this up except for the dates of the affidavits? Because, like I say, from a lawyer's perspective, that's normal.
Old 10-11-12, 02:48 AM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Any Doubters Still?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19903716
Old 10-11-12, 03:11 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Unfortunately no. But I wonder who will be deemed the winners of those 7-tours now?
Old 10-11-12, 03:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Unfortunately no. But I wonder who will be deemed the winners of those 7-tours now?
It going to something in itself figuring out what to do

As I started reading the report that USADA released this morning I read this...

Twenty of the twenty-one podium finishers in the Tour de France from 1999 through 2005 have been directly tied to likely doping through admissions, sanctions, public investigations or exceeding the UCI hematocrit threshold. Of the forty-five (45) podium finishes during the time period between 1996 and 2010, thirty-six
(36) were by riders similarly tainted by doping.

Interesting...
Old 10-11-12, 03:29 AM

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Time to leave this be...
Work on what YOU can do -like better fitness, nutrition etc.
Let Lance work on his charity. In spite of being retired, he can still twirl those pedals than I can ever dream of doing....
Old 10-11-12, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaker
In other news, OP read Tyler's book, watch his 60minutes interview, read the Reasoned Decision from USADA today. Do any of those things, really think about what they tell you and then post back here.
The deniers would have to open their eyes first before they can read.
For those of us that have followed pro cycling to some degree, we've known all this for years. The USADA report just puts it all in one place. But the newbies are just finding out now, so I guess it's a shock to their brains.

Perhaps OP really did mean it
Allocation
earmarked Set aside for a particular purpose; allocated for use in specified ways; marked so as to be recognized

to apportion for a specific purpose or to particular persons or things : distribute

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-11-12 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-11-12, 04:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmac100
Time to leave this be...
Work on what YOU can do -like better fitness, nutrition etc.
This would make sense if posting about Lance Armstrong's travails somehow completely precluded working on my cycling - but I find I can do both. This amused me ...

https://newsthump.com/2012/10/11/lanc...ber-tourniquet
Old 10-11-12, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by dcvelo
i think his doping allocations were carefully calculated to allow him to win 7 tours without being caught for doping, with the assistance of dr. Ferrari.

I also think you didn't really mean "allocations"....
:d

Old 10-11-12, 06:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://newsthump.com/2012/10/11/beli...igious-status/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.