Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Sam Hilborne or Cross Check?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Sam Hilborne or Cross Check?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 09:50 PM

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BadBoy10
Now, I have debated on a Brompton or a Tern or just a $169 Citizen folder.

Is the Brompton your romp to the corner store toy or do you commute daily 15 + miles one way on the folder? Every bike store owner I have discussed commuting with has turned up their nose in disdain and said the parts simply are not meant for long term abuse.

I would love one if it could hold its own simply because it is such a pain locking up and the anxiety of never knowing if the damn bike has been stolen.
Hmmm... I'm usually over in the Folding Bikes forum, and the fine folks there can answer your questions probably better than I but based on my travels, the Brompton can definitely hold its own. I personally only commute about 8 km round trip, but I have taken the Brompton on long, winding rides through crowded Montreal streets and up and down river valley bike paths with steep gradients in Edmonton. The distances logged were probably 20+ km, so yes, I'm pretty sure the Brompton can handle 15 miles. If you post your question over in the Folding Bikes forum, the Brompton gurus can probably tell you just how much they can push their bikes.

Check out this website about touring with a Brompton. https://pathlesspedaled.com/2011/03/touring-bromptons/

I'm still wrangling over the Rivendell decision. Argh. It seems stupid to me to buy a Surly CC and then spend time and money to fixing it up to be like the bike I actually want (Sam Hilborne). But I could probably customize one-and-a-half CCs for the price of a Rivendell.
Old 07-15-12, 10:00 PM

Bikes: Mercier Mini Velo, Rivendell Quickbeam, 80's Hampton Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also hate the fact you can't "test" the Rivendell. So, you put $2700 down and then--ehhh it isn't the three grand you thought it would be. My expectations of a $3000 bike--well---

I have searched and again--for my needs I don't see (could be wrong) but I dont find Riv owners using the bikes the way I would need to use the bike: as a city rough rider. I am curious if anyone uses their Riv as a daily grinder (15-30 mile commutes), rough terrain, city beater.

I purchased a Trek Alpha 2.1 paid premium. Well, guess what it is fast, fun but not comfy. So, recently I scored a '90 steel double lug Schwinn Crosscut--LOVE IT! Comfy, rough,--

I think you should think about your needs. How often will you ride the bike? What conditions? Will you be comfortable?
My conditions are rough--a Riv is just not the bike for me at that price point.
Old 07-15-12, 10:27 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I did test ride the Sam Hillborne... pretty extensively. Tried out several models for about 2 hours, up and down city blocks, different handle configurations, etc. It would have been nice to have had it for a whole day or even several days, but I think I have a good idea of how it rides.

I think that a number of Rivendell riders do use their bikes as a daily bike, but I wouldn't be surprised if an equal number used them "on Sunday when the sun is shining too". I think my conditions aren't quite so rough as what you have to endure.

Your use of the word "rough" is interesting in the context of bike usage. The last word to describe me is "delicate"...
Old 07-15-12, 11:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL!

Oh! I have yet to find a dealer close to my location with Rivs or Surlys. The LBS want you to purchase--no return policy.

Maybe it is the pricing--I wouldn't feel comfortable paying $2700 and hitting the city streets "rough", hitting curbs, tackling bridges, racing through rain water, yikes missing one pot hole but having to eat another one, locking up outside Target, my favorite sushi place, hell where I work.

The Riv to me is yes, leisure jaunts around winding roads with canopy trees.

And when I see pictures of Rivs again--they are squeaky clean, the detail stunning. THIS OBVIOUSLY A BROAD generalization on my part. My income bracket is high but not so high $2700 would not be missed. Indeed, it is my insecurities perhaps even paranoia.

The Rivendell could not be my daily beautiful as she is: I really question are they used as work horses are are they used by university professors feeding into the intelligencia elite. Is it a fad? Is it because Grant worked at Bridgestone and now thumbs his nose at the roadie crowd and says screw pencil thin tires and lycra attire? Confession: I thoroughly enjoy the romanticism Grant has brought to biking with the Rivendell brand. I love his musing on a-tross handlebars, upright seating, 38 tires, pine tar soap and on and on. I get it.

I firmly believe if it is what you want: GO FOR IT!

I am just practical. Have I considered a Riv--yes. The price point is a deal breaker for me.

HOWEVER! I would pay $2700 to have a custom made frame by Joe S. or the Mark. guy one of the former welders/framers for Riv.
There are several USA custom bike framers/welders--stunning work--I would pay them before Riv.
Old 07-15-12, 11:14 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Maybe it is the pricing--I wouldn't feel comfortable paying $2700 and hitting the city streets "rough", hitting curbs, tackling bridges, racing through rain water, yikes missing one pot hole but having to eat another one, locking up outside Target, my favorite sushi place, hell where I work.

And when I see pictures of Rivs again--they are squeaky clean, the detail stunning. THIS OBVIOUSLY A BROAD generalization on my part. My income bracket is high but not so high $2700 would not be missed. Indeed, it is my insecurities perhaps even paranoia.

The Rivendell could not be my daily beautiful as she is: I really question are they used as work horses are are they used by university professors feeding into the intelligencia elite. Is it a fad?
You've got a point there with the realities of city life. The one big advantage of my Brompton is that I can take it right into my office.

I am a university professor! LOL! You're dead on: it's actually a mass conspiracy by us pointy headed academics. Spandex = bad. Wool = good. (Actually, I can't wear wool - bugs and itches me to no end.)

It is what I want, but like you, I unfortunately have this practical streak in me. The Brompton made sense: if you want it to fold, don't skimp on the one characteristic that makes or breaks it. As for riding around, well, I guess there are other alternatives other than the Rivendell.

Damn. I still want the bloody thing. I think too much.
Old 07-16-12, 02:23 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
In an effort to drive myself absolutely bonkers, I've looked up several other bikes based on what others have posted. I'm not planning to tour (at least not a long one), and there would be a mix of commuting, road, some light trail, all thrown together. My "ultimate bike" seems to be the Rivendell Sam Hillborne. However, it's a lot of money - financially possible, but not sure if advisable. From what I gather, other options to consider include:

- The venerable Surly Cross Check
- The Salsa Casseroll
- The Civia Prospect or Bryant (seems the Bryant is a bit more touring oriented)
- The All City Space Horse (and I thought Rivendell names were unique...)

The Space Horse seems interesting and could fit the bill, based on the description anyways. Actually, it's funny that all of these are around the same price point ($1200 to $1400): I think I read at least three of them have their frames made by the same company. Other than the Sam itself, I haven't test ridden any of the above, so I'm hard pressed to imagine what they might ride like. Nearest dealer to even try them would be several hours away.

One of the key criteria after trying cycle crosses and the Sam itself is that I prefer the handle to be at or slightly higher than the saddle, so I'd consider raising the handle/stem. I like the moustache style bars. Flexibility to install an internal gear hub later on would be nice but not critical. I prefer friction shifting, at least for the front. The point is that I may spend money down the line to modify anything that is not a Rivendell.

Any insights into how these other bikes ride and would compare to the Sam Hillborne? Any pros or cons to the other bikes? Thanks.
Old 07-16-12, 02:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozonation
In an effort to drive myself absolutely bonkers, I've looked up several other bikes based on what others have posted. I'm not planning to tour (at least not a long one), and there would be a mix of commuting, road, some light trail, all thrown together. My "ultimate bike" seems to be the Rivendell Sam Hillborne. However, it's a lot of money - financially possible, but not sure if advisable. From what I gather, other options to consider include:

- The venerable Surly Cross Check
- The Salsa Casseroll
- The Civia Prospect or Bryant (seems the Bryant is a bit more touring oriented)
- The All City Space Horse (and I thought Rivendell names were unique...)

The Space Horse seems interesting and could fit the bill, based on the description anyways. Actually, it's funny that all of these are around the same price point ($1200 to $1400): I think I read at least three of them have their frames made by the same company. Other than the Sam itself, I haven't test ridden any of the above, so I'm hard pressed to imagine what they might ride like. Nearest dealer to even try them would be several hours away.

One of the key criteria after trying cycle crosses and the Sam itself is that I prefer the handle to be at or slightly higher than the saddle, so I'd consider raising the handle/stem. I like the moustache style bars. Flexibility to install an internal gear hub later on would be nice but not critical. I prefer friction shifting, at least for the front. The point is that I may spend money down the line to modify anything that is not a Rivendell.

Any insights into how these other bikes ride and would compare to the Sam Hillborne? Any pros or cons to the other bikes? Thanks.
The Surly Cross Check frame\fork is $450. The Sam Hillborne frame\fork is $1,050. Build up both bikes with the same parts and the Hillborne is only $600 more. Life is pretty short. I say, if you can afford it, get what you like. If you are happy with the fit and it has the features you need it will save you money in the long run.

I recently purchased a Hillborne and built it up myself for $2,400; including rear rack, pedals, cyclocomputer, etc. I have no regrets. My average round trip commute is 30 miles and I ride every day I can. These bikes are rugged and meant to be used.

I would not, however, leave it where it could be stolen. For this reason, I too am contemplating a folder in my future. I have a friend who averages 700 miles a month and tours on his Bike Friday Llama. I'd say it's pretty rugged also.

Matt

Last edited by Hangtownmatt; 07-16-12 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 02:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, if you haven't read this thread you probably should. You may want to consider the Soma San Marcos:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ight=hillborne
Old 07-16-12, 04:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hangtownmatt:

Thank you for the nugget about the folder. I am seriously seriously considering --convenience. Love my newly purchased Schwinn Crosscut beater HOWEVER--I hate toting this thing up 3 flights of stairs YET I wonder about the amount of time spent on a folder as opposed to a conventional bicycle. Clearly, this topic has been beaten to death so I won't bother--but reading someone puts 700 miles per month on a folder is encouraging. So...thanks!
Old 07-16-12, 04:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly re: CrossCheck expense (its a bargain) AND
exactly: get what you want why bother with buyer's remorse?
Old 07-16-12, 06:24 PM

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hangtownmatt
I would not, however, leave it where it could be stolen. For this reason, I too am contemplating a folder in my future. I have a friend who averages 700 miles a month and tours on his Bike Friday Llama. I'd say it's pretty rugged also.

Matt
The nice thing about a Bike Friday (while pricey) is that you can also have it built up according to your measurements and specifications. I took the measurements from my Surly LHT for my Bike Friday NWT and the fit is pretty darn close. It's not 100% because I told the Bike Friday guys to set the handlebar up a bit higher than it is on my Surly.

I realize this thread is over a year old, but I took a look in here because I test rode both the Cross-Check (stock build) and the Hillborne (with Albatross bars). I like the ride of the Hillborne more.
Old 07-16-12, 07:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fat_bike_nut
I test rode both the Cross-Check (stock build) and the Hillborne (with Albatross bars). I like the ride of the Hillborne more.
It was the ride that sold me!

Matt
Old 07-16-12, 08:27 PM

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

The Rivendell could not be my daily beautiful as she is: I really question are they used as work horses are are they used by university professors feeding into the intelligencia elite. Is it a fad? Is it because Grant worked at Bridgestone and now thumbs his nose at the roadie crowd and says screw pencil thin tires and lycra attire? Confession: I thoroughly enjoy the romanticism Grant has brought to biking with the Rivendell brand. I love his musing on a-tross handlebars, upright seating, 38 tires, pine tar soap and on and on. I get it.
I have a biking buddy with *two* Sam Hillbornes. He commutes 20 miles a day on roads and gravel paths. The bikes are plenty tough.

You can't really say anything about them if you haven't ridden one, sorry. They are plenty tough - my buddy's has double top tubes, as far as toughness goes. All bikes are pretty on bike websites.

It was the ride that sold me!

Matt
Exactly.
Old 07-16-12, 08:45 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Also, if you haven't read this thread you probably should. You may want to consider the Soma San Marcos:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ight=hillborne
Thanks. I actually stumbled across the thread. Very convincing. The Soma's frame only price is only about $100 different than the Sam Hillborne, and given that it was designed by Grant Peterson, I might as well go for the Sam.
Old 07-16-12, 08:48 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hangtownmatt: Thank you for the nugget about the folder. I am seriously seriously considering --convenience. Love my newly purchased Schwinn Crosscut beater HOWEVER--I hate toting this thing up 3 flights of stairs YET I wonder about the amount of time spent on a folder as opposed to a conventional bicycle. Clearly, this topic has been beaten to death so I won't bother--but reading someone puts 700 miles per month on a folder is encouraging. So...thanks!
Check out the Folder forum. Folders are really versatile. Today, for example... my wife and I work at the same place, but in different departments. I had to stay late, so I tossed the Brompton in the back of the car, dropped it off at my office, and then took off so she didn't have to wait around for me. It used to be a hassle to figure out if we would car pool back, if she would get a ride with a colleague. We only live a 40 minute walk away, but with the temperature today being 35C with humidity, having a bike really opens up the options.
Old 07-16-12, 08:49 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It was the ride that sold me! Matt
Well, I guess that settles it! And none of the dealers I contacted have any of the other bikes in stock for me to try anyways... how convenient.
Old 07-16-12, 09:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Er, Alhedges I disagree: a large percentage of the purchasing power in America is based upon decisions made from visual representations.

I don't have to ride the Rivendell to know--I would not be comfortable putting it through the potholed, uneven, glass littered, horrible sidewalks and the always blocked, full of construction bicycle paths of South Florida. Certainly the Rivendell could get dirty. It just isn't the bike I would want to get dirty.

This area is huge: Trek, WalMart, Giant, Jamis --in that order.

The Original Poster asked for thoughts: My thoughts--I would prefer to let the Cross Check do the job.

The Surly Long Haul Trucker --look at the advertising--the bike is loaded with luggage and the backdrop imagery is usually mountainous, remote--one thinks of long hard touring.

The Rivendell even on a few blogs (Lovely Bicycle, Ilike2bike) the Rivs are pretty, the pictures are pretty, everyone is smiling, the sun is shining bright, but I have yet to see the bikes in any picture with city backdrops with a rider attacking the mean streets. The language in Riv advertising is not hard, gritty, city. Does this mean they are not used this way? Certainly not!

Kudos to you for knowing two people that use their Rivs as daily commuters and ride them in dirt.

I think is is incredibly naive to think decisions/thoughts/opinions are not formulated from visual aesthetics. Businesses spend millions on their advertising budget--trying to sell an ambience. I don't get (rough and rumble) from the Rivendell advertising.

I get ready to take on the gritty city from the Surly brand.

Which brings me to my previous posts: Grant has done an exceptional job of selling a genre, a mystique, a move away from utilitarianism and an embracement of bicycle romance. Indeed those bikes are porn!
Old 07-16-12, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You could get a used Riv. That's what I did. Couldn't afford new, so I just got a used Bleriot.
Try the Rivendell Owner's Bunch Google page.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...w-owners-bunch
They always trade and sell stuff there.
Also the Bleriot Owners' Group on yahoo groups. https://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_BOG/
You can also check all of Craigslist nationwide with one search at https://www.my-craigs-finder.com/
Old 07-16-12, 10:18 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Indeed those bikes are porn!
Now, THAT is something I've never heard! So, errr... if Rivendell Bikes are porn, can you have too many bikes?
Old 07-17-12, 01:00 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Just posted over in Google Groups, but I'm not sure if I'll get a response soon based on the wait time for the moderators.

What do people consider a reasonable price for a used 2011 Sam Hillborne? I just came across one, not to far from home, and the seller is asking for $1600 to $1700. Seems a bit low given that it supposedly has low mileage. Too good to be true?

If I go for it, any things I should look for in a used bike to ensure it's in good shape? Thanks.
Old 07-17-12, 05:18 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Now, THAT is something I've never heard! So, errr... if Rivendell Bikes are porn, can you have too many bikes?
yes, if you have N+2 bikes, your vision suffers and you grow hair on your palms.

Bikes lose a lot of value when resold, not too surprising to see one selling for $1700
Old 07-17-12, 07:04 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Ah... this aspect did occur to me. Rivendell bikes are just so... pretty - I guess that's the word for it!
The common thought is that you are paying more for the fancy lugs and paint...only. That is not true. The subtle differences in the geometry of Rivendell bikes make them a whole different animal. I haven't owned a CC but I did have an LHT which I upgraded with a Rivendell Hunqapillar frame. The Riv is much more responsive, comfortable and intuitive than the Surly. In the long run, that will mean a lot more than the pretty lugs. It meant enough that I also bought a Sam Hillborne and can't stay off it.

Marc
Old 07-17-12, 08:18 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
yes, if you have N+2 bikes, your vision suffers and you grow hair on your palms.
If my vision suffers and my hands are affected, how am I supposed to use my credit card or write a cheque?
Old 07-17-12, 08:42 AM
Gouge Away

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

The Surly Long Haul Trucker --look at the advertising--the bike is loaded with luggage and the backdrop imagery is usually mountainous, remote--one thinks of long hard touring.

The Rivendell even on a few blogs (Lovely Bicycle, Ilike2bike) the Rivs are pretty, the pictures are pretty, everyone is smiling, the sun is shining bright, but I have yet to see the bikes in any picture with city backdrops with a rider attacking the mean streets. The language in Riv advertising is not hard, gritty, city. Does this mean they are not used this way? Certainly not!

Kudos to you for knowing two people that use their Rivs as daily commuters and ride them in dirt.

I think is is incredibly naive to think decisions/thoughts/opinions are not formulated from visual aesthetics. Businesses spend millions on their advertising budget--trying to sell an ambience. I don't get (rough and rumble) from the Rivendell advertising.

Which brings me to my previous posts: Grant has done an exceptional job of selling a genre, a mystique, a move away from utilitarianism and an embracement of bicycle romance. Indeed those bikes are porn!
Personally I think Surly has done an incredible job of marketing mediocre bikes. I've ridden the CC, LHT, and Pacer and in all cases came away very unimpressed. In all cases the geometry seemed off and they handled very sluggishly.
Old 07-17-12, 08:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Er, Alhedges I disagree: a large percentage of the purchasing power in America is based upon decisions made from visual representations.

I don't have to ride the Rivendell to know--I would not be comfortable putting it through the potholed, uneven, glass littered, horrible sidewalks and the always blocked, full of construction bicycle paths of South Florida. Certainly the Rivendell could get dirty. It just isn't the bike I would want to get dirty.

This area is huge: Trek, WalMart, Giant, Jamis --in that order.

The Original Poster asked for thoughts: My thoughts--I would prefer to let the Cross Check do the job.

BadBoy - Do you really make your decisions based on advertising?

Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.