Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Odd motorist behaviour this morning.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Odd motorist behaviour this morning.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-18, 01:23 PM

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by InOmaha
The same type of person will do it in a car, while they're riding a bike, ..., etc., etc...
It's described in the thread about how motorists don't violate traffic rules any more than cyclists.

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/1140998-cyclists-don-t-break-traffic-laws-any-more-than-drivers-do.html
Old 04-19-18, 02:29 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,598 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
video
oh bingo! perfect timing!
Old 04-19-18, 06:20 PM
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
The more I think about the incident, the more I recall all of the other ornery folks that seemingly do things just to cause problems for others. Things like slowing down and waving to let me across a busy street ... and then gunning it so I can't. Passing me easily and then doing a brake check. Passing on the left when I am clearly both positioned and signalling for a left turn ... and then showing me their middle finger. These sorts of things are infrequent because most people try to behave, thank goodness. I just don't understand it. Are their lives so miserable that they are only entertained by the little games they invent in their minds. I just shake my head and hope karma treats them justly (but not too gently).
Old 04-19-18, 06:35 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
of the other ornery folks
how is the population there when you encounter them off the bike?
Old 04-19-18, 07:10 PM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
The more I think about the incident, the more I recall all of the other ornery folks that seemingly do things just to cause problems for others. Things like slowing down and waving to let me across a busy street ... and then gunning it so I can't. Passing me easily and then doing a brake check. Passing on the left when I am clearly both positioned and signalling for a left turn ... and then showing me their middle finger. These sorts of things are infrequent because most people try to behave, thank goodness. I just don't understand it. Are their lives so miserable that they are only entertained by the little games they invent in their minds. I just shake my head and hope karma treats them justly (but not too gently).
That's just sad. I've had a few negative encounters myself, but thankfully they are rare. I had a woman today on a right-turning lane asking if she could cut in front of me onto a left-turning lane.
IMG026.jpg

Hell NO, I replied..JK, of course I let her in.
IMG027.jpg

No worries, there is a bike lane on that road I'm turning on to so I get to blow past all this traffic.
Old 04-20-18, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by mcours2006
there is a bike lane on that road I'm turning on to so I get to blow past all this traffic.
nice of her to ask. smart too. every intersection is different. I'll bet you learned, over time, the best way to handle this one. I'd be tempted to run around them all on the right
Old 04-20-18, 05:24 AM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
nice of her to ask. smart too. every intersection is different. I'll bet you learned, over time, the best way to handle this one. I'd be tempted to run around them all on the right
Ha. That's exactly what I did after I let her merge in. Staying right led me right into the bike lane.
Old 04-20-18, 06:48 AM
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
how is the population there when you encounter them off the bike?
Pretty much the same. Most are respectful and polite in their actions, but some are just wacky in their disdain for others. They position their grocery carts in the middle of a aisle and ignore your requests to pass by, they bump you out of their way in a buffet line, they block your mailbox at the street so the post goes undelivered, they let their dogs do their business on your property. Yep, these remarkable citizens are in the minority, but they sure do rouse up ugly emotions. I consider them to be agents for testing my character, figuring that if I can resist getting riled I'll become a better person.