Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I:

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-11, 09:18 PM
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hamfoh
which horns?
I got RB-018s in 40cm and white Origin8 Bully Bars in 40cm.

Now I have one RB-002, two sets of RB-018s (40cm and 42cm), two sets of Origin8 Bully Bars (purple and white), and a Nashbar Aerobar. I was just stocking up on my bike mess, but now it's just getting ridiculous... I'll probably start selling stuff off now that I have the RB-002s and don't really intend on using anything else (though the RB-018s are kind of nice, too).
Old 07-24-11, 09:23 PM
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
today i broke two chain whips... well, one chain whip and the chain on the second whip...

GOT THAT F'N COG OFF THO

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 07-24-11, 09:26 PM
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Should have un-Rotafixed.

OR

Getting hit by that Jeep gave you superhuman strength.
Old 07-24-11, 09:27 PM
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicSchwinn
Today I bought a spinergy from jdgesus:
was nice to meet you, thx for driving down to pick it up!

and

(it is fast tho...)

next step is recumbent.

Old 07-24-11, 09:28 PM
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yummygooey
Should have un-Rotafixed.

OR

Getting hit by that Jeep gave you superhuman strength.

next step is recumbent.

Old 07-24-11, 09:59 PM
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

today i wanted to bike the whole day and found i had zero ways to sup sqrls without
Old 07-25-11, 01:29 AM
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I went on my posted ride and no one showed up. :/ my rides now have a 50% no-show probability
Old 07-25-11, 01:53 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Today was the same as yesterday... except tonight I got to take my folder out on a shake down ride as I finished all the frame work today and put everything together.

It may very well be the most highly modified Twenty on the planet and has inspired me to build another one... from scratch.

Will be looking at a high performance version instead of a touring model... not that the bike is lacking in the go fast department.
Old 07-25-11, 03:20 AM
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
today I tried leather bar tape for the first time. it looks sooooo good, but I can't get it to cover as much ground I want (42cm), even after a second attempt and some compromises in spacing in other areas :/ Apparently you can pull the crap out of it (you know, since it's leather), but this Brooks stuff is stitched together ever so often and I was afraid I'd rip them out.

And I got it on clearance for $30 or whatever at Ben's because they were missing bar plugs, before anyone freaks out about me paying $60 for bar tape. And they ended up coming with bar plugs anyway.

also mapped a new route to campus using gmaps. was wondering how I had never thought of this route before...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
map.jpg (86.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by hamfoh; 07-25-11 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-25-11, 05:00 AM
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
This morning I got barked at by some fool coming out of a side street who got hot & bothered because he had to actually stop at a stop sign as I rode by. He caught up to me and yelled that I should "learn how to ride that thing". I was riding fast and just said "Thanks for the tip!" and he continued riding next to me, yelling something inaudible then saying "I should take you out to teach you a lesson!" as he swerved toward me and came really close to running me into a curb. I slowed down and began having words with him and he went through the typical run of "Get off your bike, I'll kick your ass and bla bla blabbity bla!" I said "You're a fat pice of **** in a beige mini van! What are you going to do besides get killed?" and he sped off.
Old 07-25-11, 05:57 AM
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
damn Scrod

Today I rode to campus at a turtle like pace, but as I turned around to head back another rider was going my way. So I rode "with" him the entire way, semi competitively (though he was riding against traffic heh) but also super casually, if that makes any sense. At one point I swerved to miss a pothole and got honked at, an actual justified honk that was my bad. Such a rare thing that you deserve those but I did.

Passed by a delicious bakery on the way home and didn't go inside, that was definitely the hardest part of the ride.
Old 07-25-11, 06:53 AM
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Lilcphoto
Now if only I could figure out a way to properly carry a water bottle with the Prez, I would be happy... Anybody have any other idea's (aside from dual rockets off the seat)?

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Universa.../dp/B001FTL3R4

or

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Fish-Quick.../dp/B003RLJ8L6

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 07-25-11 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-25-11, 08:27 AM
sqrl

Bikes: bieks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lilcphoto
Now if only I could figure out a way to properly carry a water bottle with the Prez, I would be happy... Anybody have any other idea's (aside from dual rockets off the seat)?
The first bike I got once I started riding again as an adult was a Trek hybrid with a step-through frame. I quickly grew to hate it, party because the fat aluminum tubes and the step-through frame meant there was only one set of brazeons for a bottle cage. So I used hose clamps to attach a second bottle cage on the top tube (& protected the frame with some old tubing) and it worked great. Did a decent amount of touring on that bike with that setup.

Last edited by misskaz; 07-25-11 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-25-11, 10:37 AM
No Excuses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamfoh
today I tried leather bar tape for the first time. it looks sooooo good, but I can't get it to cover as much ground I want (42cm), even after a second attempt and some compromises in spacing in other areas :/ Apparently you can pull the crap out of it (you know, since it's leather), but this Brooks stuff is stitched together ever so often and I was afraid I'd rip them out.

And I got it on clearance for $30 or whatever at Ben's because they were missing bar plugs, before anyone freaks out about me paying $60 for bar tape. And they ended up coming with bar plugs anyway.

also mapped a new route to campus using gmaps. was wondering how I had never thought of this route before...

Nice! I got that bar tape a bit recently as well and it smells so nice on my hands after a ride AND they look hot.
How far are you spacing the tape when you overlap anyways? When I wrapped my bullhorns, I spaced it to show about two rows of those perforation holes which would probably be about half an inch. I had just the right amount of tape when doing that and I found that if i stretched the tape too much, I ended up with a bit too much when it came to the center.
Old 07-25-11, 10:37 AM
Speedo Model

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
today i got to work and had a box from Retrogression sitting on my desk. thnx Scrod.

last nite i waited until after dark to ride. it was still 100 degrees at nine pm.
Old 07-25-11, 11:55 AM
Enson

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
This morning I got barked at by some fool coming out of a side street who got hot & bothered because he had to actually stop at a stop sign as I rode by. He caught up to me and yelled that I should "learn how to ride that thing". I was riding fast and just said "Thanks for the tip!" and he continued riding next to me, yelling something inaudible then saying "I should take you out to teach you a lesson!" as he swerved toward me and came really close to running me into a curb. I slowed down and began having words with him and he went through the typical run of "Get off your bike, I'll kick your ass and bla bla blabbity bla!" I said "You're a fat pice of **** in a beige mini van! What are you going to do besides get killed?" and he sped off.
thoroughly enjoyed that
Old 07-25-11, 12:05 PM
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Just got a call from my LBS back home that the 2012 pinarello dogma 2 is out; and shortly thereafter got an email from competitive cyclist about it. Upgrade time woo!!!
Old 07-25-11, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leukybear
Just got a call from my LBS back home that the 2012 pinarello dogma 2 is out; and shortly thereafter got an email from competitive cyclist about it. Upgrade time woo!!!
wow how much one of those cost?
Old 07-25-11, 12:26 PM
Enson

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got my box of Vitamin C and L-Carnatine from Puritans Pride. I am excited.
Old 07-25-11, 12:44 PM
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
woke up too late to ride to work
Old 07-25-11, 01:39 PM
yoked

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leukybear
Yippee! Which groupset? (please say Red...)
Old 07-25-11, 01:39 PM
soft pedal zen

Bikes: Absolutely

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
I think most people can train fairly easily to be good runners, especially if it is just for a 3 mile run. I have **** knees and running was tough to get used to but I became pretty good at pacing myself for a couple hours. Running just takes a long time to build a base and some say you should do it for almost a year before taking to a competitive level. There's running "right" and running "wrong" and it may take some people that time to really get how to run "right" and not hurt themselves

I wouldn't say running is fun in the same way as cycling but runners high takes you to a different place and any need for any stimulation just disappears.
I definitely appreciate running. I work nights, so sometimes I get home and get the hankering for a good workout but don't have the time for a 20 mile sprint on the bike. 30 minutes in the running shoes and I'm off to bed. I feel like it gives me a more intense cardio workout than a bike as well.

Of course, as with everything I do, I researched running extensively before I started doing it. Got myself a pair of flexible, low-profile, low-support shoes and I run on my forefoot. You can really, really feel it in the calves, the high cadence is good for cardio, and you're not jarring your body off of your heels.

I found that it was nearly impossible to keep a good "pose" at first. Half a mile in and all sense of form went to ****. I'm just now getting to the point where I'm relaxed and the pose/forefoot method comes naturally.
Old 07-25-11, 01:57 PM
Painfully average.

Bikes: Caad10 / All-City SP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Today I wonder when my package from Dave will get here!

My aunt also came to visit for a week from Chicago, IL.
Old 07-25-11, 02:36 PM
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by homebrewk
Yippee! Which groupset? (please say Red...)
You bet. The plan is to swap over the group and parts from my current orbea orca through.
I still have to go over it with my wife of when I can get it; considering we just bought her a pista via condotti ($875 out the door w/ lifetime service; not to mention the upgrades I bought for it already)and the fact that just the frameset alone runs up the cost of about 7 via condotti's.

Probably the hardest part for me in my opinion is choosing which colorway to buy. Poo.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 07-25-11, 02:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would love me an orca or a dogma.

a lobular road would be more than enough. gotta keep looking for one in my size, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.