Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Delivery People Using Electric Bikes.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Delivery People Using Electric Bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v70cat
I live NYC and see delivery people using electric bikes all the the time. They seem to do many things wrong:

1) At night they don't use the lights even though the bike comes with them

2) Ride on side walks and go the wrong way on one way streets

3) Never ever pedal

4) Smoke will riding

I think that electric bikes fill a need and they are much better 2 cycle scooters I think that delivery people should follow the rules and if they use it as a motorized cycle (never pedal) they should be forced on the street and out of the bike lanes.
The behavior is dangerous, it might hurt himself and other pedestrian..especially smoke while riding...
Old 02-06-12, 06:12 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Just curious. The logistics of this escapes me. My electric assist has a 1.5hr run time and a 10hr charge time which would make it a real loser for commercial applications. And thats one of the better models with a brushless motor and 10Ah 36V LiFeO4 battery. What kind of bikes are we talking about exactly.
Old 02-06-12, 08:01 PM

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
Just curious. The logistics of this escapes me. My electric assist has a 1.5hr run time and a 10hr charge time which would make it a real loser for commercial applications. And thats one of the better models with a brushless motor and 10Ah 36V LiFeO4 battery. What kind of bikes are we talking about exactly.
A 5 ah charger would be able to charge your battery in under two hours. If it takes you 10 hrs per charge you have charger issues.

I think they are talking about the electric bikes that look more like scooters than bicycles but not for sure.
Old 02-06-12, 08:48 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Mabman
I think they are talking about the electric bikes that look more like scooters than bicycles but not for sure.
Correct (for the most part).
Old 02-07-12, 11:48 AM
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
A 5 ah charger would be able to charge your battery in under two hours. If it takes you 10 hrs per charge you have charger issues.

The charger I'm using came with the battery, both were new in 2011 and the charge time is normal. Directly related to cell balancing through the built-in battery management unit.

If its electric scooters we're talking about then thats different than electric assisted bicycles. Interestingly enough- several municipalities here in Montreal have passed bylaws banning them from use on bicycle paths.
Old 02-07-12, 06:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The problem is when they take an electric scooter and add pedals and THEN call it an "electric bicycle"...
If you ask me, if it has a "deck" to put your feet on and pedaling it would only get you 5mph, then NO, it's NOT am electric bike...
Old 02-08-12, 11:41 AM
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by susanw
well, I got confused by the opinion of the third one. I think it is someone's choice to ride without pedal. Why it's illegal in NYC? I don't understand. May be it's just because of environment protection, right?
Its a legal technicality. A vehicle that can be optionally pedaled can be classified as an electric assisted bicycle. A vehicle that can't be optionally pedaled is in fact a motor vehicle and has restrictions depending on its intended use: off-road recreation, handicap assistance or on-road use. Some need to be licensed and insured, some don't. Some need a permit to operate, some don't. Some are permitted on bicycle paths, some aren't. Some are permitted on sidewalks, some aren't.
Old 02-08-12, 07:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The charger I'm using came with the battery, both were new in 2011 and the charge time is normal. Directly related to cell balancing through the built-in battery management unit.

If its electric scooters we're talking about then thats different than electric assisted bicycles. Interestingly enough- several municipalities here in Montreal have passed bylaws banning them from use on bicycle paths.
I have a 48v 12 ah liFePo4 battery with a bms and a 5ah charger that takes 2 hours to charge is the only reason I said something.

The whole electric scooter as a bicycle thing is a joke. There is an old saying that "You can put a bow on a turd but it is still a turd" which applies to having pedals on a scooter class vehicle. But most people that are looking at motor assist don't want to pedal so it doesn't matter to them.
Old 02-11-12, 07:23 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by susanw
Well, question here. Is there a limit to the speed for E-bike in NYC?
Unless otherwise marked, streets in NYC have a 30 MPH limit. I don't imagine that the electric scooter/bikes that we're talking about will reach that speed, but their danger is less about the speed and more about the idiotic practices of the riders (hence the point about regulation/licensing of the riders).
Old 03-15-12, 11:51 AM

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a legal technicality. A vehicle that can be optionally pedaled can be classified as an electric assisted bicycle. A vehicle that can't be optionally pedaled is in fact a motor vehicle and has restrictions depending on its intended use: off-road recreation, handicap assistance or on-road use. Some need to be licensed and insured, some don't. Some need a permit to operate, some don't. Some are permitted on bicycle paths, some aren't. Some are permitted on sidewalks, some aren't.
My understanding is that they don't conform to NY Motor Law but I am not a expert.
Old 03-15-12, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have a 48v 12 ah liFePo4 battery with a bms and a 5ah charger that takes 2 hours to charge is the only reason I said something.
A discharged 12 A-hr battery would take a minimum of 12 A-hr/5 A = 2.4 hrs. to fully charge with a 5 A charger (these are rated in Amps, not Amp-hrs) and that's assuming 100% efficiency. In practice it takes about 30% more time or a little over 3 hours since some of the energy is wasted as heat.

I presume that many of the delivery services have spare batteries for their bikes that they can swap out between deliveries.
Old 03-15-12, 12:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
A discharged 12 A-hr battery would take a minimum of 12 A-hr/5 A = 2.4 hrs. to fully charge with a 5 A charger (these are rated in Amps, not Amp-hrs) and that's assuming 100% efficiency. In practice it takes about 30% more time or a little over 3 hours since some of the energy is wasted as heat.
The BMS cuts in at 9.36ah. I have timed the charge a few times and it takes 2 hrs, at least close enough to call it that unless you want me to say 122 minutes. YMMV.
Old 03-15-12, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The BMS cuts in at 9.36ah. I have timed the charge a few times and it takes 2 hrs, at least close enough to call it that unless you want me to say 122 minutes. YMMV.
If it's fully charging in 2 hours then either:
1) your charger is putting out more than 5 Amps
2) your battery wasn't fully discharged
3) your battery doesn't really have a 12 Amp-hr capacity
4) your system violates basic rules of physics.

Take your pick.
Old 03-15-12, 04:15 PM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
You guys are right, they should be driving full size pick-ups', like real Americans. [/sarcasm]
Old 03-16-12, 09:17 AM
Rin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe, unless the law has been changed recently that electric bicycles are illegal in NY state. However, I think an electric powered moped is legal.
Old 03-16-12, 11:33 PM

Bikes: ezip trailz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v70cat
I live NYC and see delivery people using electric bikes all the the time. They seem to do many things wrong:

1) At night they don't use the lights even though the bike comes with them

2) Ride on side walks and go the wrong way on one way streets

3) Never ever pedal

4) Smoke will riding

I think that electric bikes fill a need and they are much better 2 cycle scooters I think that delivery people should follow the rules and if they use it as a motorized cycle (never pedal) they should be forced on the street and out of the bike lanes.
That's exactly how I ride mine, although I live in a small town and no-one ever uses the sidewalks. Smoking while riding isn't difficult, as long as you're stopped while lighting one.
Old 03-26-12, 11:02 AM

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheshiregriffin
That's exactly how I ride mine, although I live in a small town and no-one ever uses the sidewalks. Smoking while riding isn't difficult, as long as you're stopped while lighting one.
That's why you need a electric bike.