Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Day 1 of Clipless: FAIL!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Day 1 of Clipless: FAIL!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 12:27 PM

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I went back and read it. The other poster write an accurate and accurately nuanced post. The only controversial thing was that last sentence where they reference "drinking the kool aid".
He made the Kool Aid comment while quoting me.......
"IMO, it's worth the learning curve. Loosen the tension as much as possible starting out, once you get used to it adjust to taste."
I think it's worth the learning curve, hardly a "kool aid" comment. I didn't state clipless was this or that, just that I thought it was worth it. And after reading what the guy said it appears he has never actually tried clipless but rather based his belief on what others had told him and the studies he'd read.
Old 10-24-15, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
He made the Kool Aid comment while quoting me.......
"IMO, it's worth the learning curve. Loosen the tension as much as possible starting out, once you get used to it adjust to taste."
I think it's worth the learning curve, hardly a "kool aid" comment. I didn't state clipless was this or that, just that I thought it was worth it. And after reading what the guy said it appears he has never actually tried clipless but rather based his belief on what others had told him and the studies he'd read.
He responded directly to your comment saying "No offense but I have often wondered if it truly is". The Kool Aid comment was at the end, by that point it sounded to me like he was referring to the general philosophy - which was then followed up by other posters with a "anyone who doesn't agree clipless is more efficient and better is an idiot" attitude.
Old 10-24-15, 02:06 PM

Bikes: '15 Prolite '04 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OnyxTiger
...while riding into my garage the first time. Success.
Sentence did not end as I was imagining.
Old 10-24-15, 05:28 PM

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2013 Diamondback Insight

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I fell today during a group ride. I have been riding clipless on my hybrid for about a month while commuting without any problems, but I was exhausted after a series of hills and was too weak to pop my ankle out enough. So I fell. I did roll into the fall, so at least I managed to suppress the "tethered gazelle" impression I did the first time I fell, where you are trying to leap off the pedals and they won't let go. Hopefully my second fall was marginally more graceful. It was less painful anyway. Now I'm riding with the left foot really loose and a tighter clip on the right.
Old 10-24-15, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,189 Times in 1,475 Posts
^
That happens occassionally when learning. Keep at it and unclipping becomes second nature. I've been so tired I felt like I couldn't get my leg over the bike to get off but never thought about unclipping.
Old 10-25-15, 07:46 PM
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Completely forgot I posted this thread lol. Good to see I'm not the only one with a story on this pedal circus fiasco.

I enjoyed reading all your stories and varied opinions on whether to clip in or not.

Personally, though... I have to say... it's been really fun riding with this system. Climbing up moderate grades (1-3%) has been a game changer for me. I'm currently 270 and if you can imagine stomping uphill for 2 miles with only a downstroke at your disposal like I did before with platforms, I can assure you it wasn't fun.

Clipless allowed me to utilize the upstroke in tandem with down, and forward stroke in tandem with back, in a way that eases the strain, NOTICEABLY.

Sprinting out of the saddle is great. Even did some upshifts out of the saddle (hold the opinions here) with confidence. And in the end, that's what it's about. To not have to worry whether your sneakers are going to slip off your platform while doing 15-20mph is just plain worth it.

To me. At least.
Old 10-26-15, 05:41 AM
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If clipless is a game changer for you than there is no doubt you should continue to utilize it and you can just accept the occasional 'clipless' fall with whatever subsequent damage you do to your bike as part of the whole experience and be cool with it.
Old 10-26-15, 05:50 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think for myself at least, part of my puzzlement as to why people continue to accept the occasional falls and damage when there is the possibility that there are no performance benefits is I mistakenly have been assuming that avid riders are skilled enough to keep their feet on flat pedals.
Regardless of how hard they are riding or what the grade is. It seems I am wrong yet again.
It's not something you master in a week of course but really shouldnt take that long imo and would appear to be going the way of the DoDo bird.
Progress I guess.
And of course profit
Old 10-26-15, 05:59 AM
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
So, just got some clipless kicks. Got the pedals put on. Using some Looks.

Rode around a fair bit and tried getting off while riding into my garage the first time. Success.

Decided it isn't as tough as people make it out to be. Second time, I go into the garage... unclip the left leg... and somehow end up smashing onto the right side. (Oh no's!!! Not the drive side!!!)

I get up, dust off my bruised ego. Right lever is now bent over to the left, as is the handlebar. I bend it back to as straight as possible.

AM I ON MY WAY TO BECOMING A ROADIE NOW?!?

I fell into a Juniper bush at 9am on a Monday morning at a crowded intersection in front of a Bank of America when I forgot to unclip (well, I forgot to un-"clips and straps") one time. I rolled to a stop on a sidewalk (Hey, I was 14. I rode on the sidewalk. It was 1986. Things were different.) and just didn't pull my foot out. I teetered, and opted to fall into a bush. I knew that a lot of people saw me fall, so I decided that I was just going to lay in the bush until the light turned green, and they all drove away. Then I realized that a bunch of people would just see a kid in spandex, motionless, laying in a bush while attached to a Schwinn.

I just got up and rode away. I still have the Schwinn.

Well, I have the frame, at least.

Last edited by growlerdinky; 10-26-15 at 11:41 AM. Reason: 1986
Old 10-26-15, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Avid performance riders have chosen to connect their feet to the pedals for a very long time. I certainly prefer clipless to toe clips and straps.

If I'm commuting at a casual pace I prefer platforms so I can wear non-cycling shoes.
Old 10-26-15, 07:12 AM
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bakes1
I think for myself at least, part of my puzzlement as to why people continue to accept the occasional falls and damage when there is the possibility that there are no performance benefits is I mistakenly have been assuming that avid riders are skilled enough to keep their feet on flat pedals.
Regardless of how hard they are riding or what the grade is. It seems I am wrong yet again.
It's not something you master in a week of course but really shouldnt take that long imo and would appear to be going the way of the DoDo bird.
Progress I guess.
And of course profit
seriously, riding with clipless pedals isn't difficult to master, but it isn't for everyone. My mom is quite happy using platform pedals, and rides more than many people here. Falling over when learning doesn't happen to everyone.

Clipless is far safer than clips and straps w/cleats.
Old 10-26-15, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
It appears that way. Most riders who want to push themselves once in a while prefer clipless.
Old 10-26-15, 10:02 AM

Sprinting out of the saddle is great. Even did some upshifts out of the saddle (hold the opinions here) with confidence. And in the end, that's what it's about. To not have to worry whether your sneakers are going to slip off your platform while doing 15-20mph is just plain worth it.
This is where the biggest gain for clipless seems to be - secure foot retention on the pedal. Sprinting hard out of the saddle keeps your foot securely attached to the pedal.
Old 10-26-15, 10:51 AM

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fell over about 10 feet from where I started the first time with clip less. I was more afraid of winding up in Youtube than I was about injury. Mostly my ego was bruised. I did switch to avoid slipping off the pedals at times and causing a ruptured Achilles which I am told is a very hard injury to heal from and rehab. I keep the clips very loose since all I am really interested in is not slipping off the pedals.

Last edited by Mvcrash; 10-26-15 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-26-15, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,189 Times in 1,475 Posts
I think for myself at least, part of my puzzlement as to why people continue to accept the occasional falls and damage when there is the possibility that there are no performance benefits
You conveniently left out "during sub-maximal exercise" again!

Performance has been enhanced for a long time with riders feet fastened to the pedals. Look at old track racers or tour riders from years and years ago. More recently there are the steel toe clips with leather straps. Then clipless pedals came out in the mid 80s. You are fighting an argument that was decided before any of us were born.

Last edited by StanSeven; 10-26-15 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-26-15, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
https://www.radlabor.de/fileadmin/PDF...aefte_2008.pdf

There's one that took me all of 30 seconds to locate.
Maybe you can try to understand this main conclusion from the study/article:
Concerning the influence of the shoe-pedal interface, the lack of difference between the pedals without toe-clips and clipless pedals is somehow surprising. Indeed none of the kinetic quantities,V˙ O2, NE and iEMG parameters showed any differences between PED and CLIP, even for elite cyclists who are used to cycling with clipless shoe-pedal systems.

"Thus it seems that wearing clipless pedals did not influ-ence mechanical efficiency, pedalling mechanics or muscular ac-
tivity and that elite riders are not further able to take advantage
of clipless pedals during submaximal cycling in a laboratory
testing. However, wearing clipless pedals could be advantageous
in other cases, where the link between the foot and the pedal
provided by the fixation could be necessary, e.g., during maximal
cycling, cycling up hills, or any condition where maximal power
is required. Indeed, Capmal and Vandewalle [2] have shown a
greater power output during all-out sprints with toe-clips than
without, while Hintzy et al. [8] reported a significant increase of
the maximal values of force, velocity and power output when
clipless pedals were used during all-out ergometer sprints. The
cycling intensity chosen in the present study, corresponding to
60 % of PMA, ensured that subjects remained in aerobic condi-
tions. However, at this power output, it might be that cyclists
did not need to use a possible pedalling technique related to the
pull-up action when pedalling with clipless pedals."

This could be similar to arguing that race car tires are unnecessary because race cars and street cars have about the same traction while driving 45 mph on city streets.
Old 10-26-15, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by woodcraft
"Thus it seems that wearing clipless pedals did not influ-ence mechanical efficiency, pedalling mechanics or muscular ac-
tivity and that elite riders are not further able to take advantage
of clipless pedals during submaximal cycling in a laboratory
testing. However, wearing clipless pedals could be advantageous
in other cases, where the link between the foot and the pedal
provided by the fixation could be necessary, e.g., during maximal
cycling, cycling up hills, or any condition where maximal power
is required. Indeed, Capmal and Vandewalle [2] have shown a
greater power output during all-out sprints with toe-clips than
without, while Hintzy et al. [8] reported a significant increase of
the maximal values of force, velocity and power output when
clipless pedals were used during all-out ergometer sprints. The
cycling intensity chosen in the present study, corresponding to
60 % of PMA, ensured that subjects remained in aerobic condi-
tions. However, at this power output, it might be that cyclists
did not need to use a possible pedalling technique related to the
pull-up action when pedalling with clipless pedals."

This could be similar to arguing that race car tires are unnecessary because race cars and street cars have about the same traction while driving 45 mph on city streets.
I would note that there's a lot of scientifically careful language in there, a lot of which is saying "we haven't proven either way".

Like "However, wearing clipless pedals could be advantageous in other cases" is saying the study didn't disprove that it could be an advantage in other cases, it does say that it is.

This relates to toe clips "Indeed, Capmal and Vandewalle [2] have shown a greater power output during all-out sprints with toe-clips than without".

This "while Hintzy et al. [8] reported a significant increase of the maximal values of force, velocity and power output when
clipless pedals were used during all-out ergometer sprints" one would also have to look into how they tested. The rider was apparently able to output more power, whether that's because the rider was used to riding with clipless and didn't feel as comfortable going all out without clipless, or whether clipless let them go all out more because of it's firmer attachment to the pedal.

To sum this up, it seems like the conclusion could be:
Clipless pedals keep your foot firmly attached to the pedal, which may make you faster while sprinting all out.
Old 10-26-15, 01:06 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
You conveniently left out "during sub-maximal exercise" again!

Performance has been enhanced for a long time with riders feet fastened to the pedals. Look at old track racers or tour riders from years and years ago. More recently there are the steel toe clips with leather straps. Then clipless pedals came out in the mid 80s. You are fighting an argument that was decided before any of us were born.
You do realize that when they use the term sub-maximal they are comparing it to the pedal stroke of an elite cyclist right?
I guess everyone who is a proponent of clipless and everyone in this thread who says you should go clipless is talking from experience as an elite cyclist?
Old 10-26-15, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
You do realize that when they use the term sub-maximal they are comparing it to the pedal stroke of an elite cyclist right?
I guess everyone who is a proponent of clipless and everyone in this thread who says you should go clipless is talking from experience as an elite cyclist?
Incorrect.

Eight elite cyclists(C) and seven non-cyclists (NC) performedthree different bouts at 90 rev•min–1 and 60% oftheir maximal aerobic power.
You are the one who posted the darn thing, you could have at least read it. That's like the second line in the abstract.
Old 10-26-15, 02:12 PM
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
@PepeM has fired shots across the bow.
Old 10-26-15, 02:16 PM

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I haven't fallen over due to being clipped in but came have come close to not getting unclipped. The 1 wreck I did have while being clipped in caused injuries that I don't think would have happened had I not been clipped in but I was being stupid and not even platforms can fix stupid.

Another thing I do with clipless that wouldn't I be able to do otherwise is reset my pedals after at a stop. When I ride up to an intersection of stop sign I put my left foot down while leaving my right foot clipped in. Then when I go to pull out I'll pull my right pedal back to the top of the stroke.
Old 10-26-15, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
@PepeM has fired shots across the bow.
As you well know, this is serious business.
Old 10-26-15, 02:45 PM

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PepeM
As you well know, this is serious business.
It's rough out on the interweb, better wear a cup.
Old 10-26-15, 02:48 PM

Always do under my NOT BIBS.
Old 10-26-15, 02:57 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PepeM
Incorrect.

You are the one who posted the darn thing, you could have at least read it. That's like the second line in the abstract.
I did read it and do not understand where you are going?
non-cyclist vs elite cyclist. They used the term elite and as far as the dictionary is concerned, elite means best of the best.
Are you trying to imply that their definition of elite cyclist is not actually 'elite' because they are being compared to a non-cyclist?
You said "incorrect" and then failed to explain yourself.
You could have at least tried lol.
Again I ask; are all the hardcore clipless proponents in this thread 'elite' cyclists by any definition?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.