Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Cycling Sunglasses necessary?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Cycling Sunglasses necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 08:15 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
...... have rarely worn sunglasses of any sort.
It's interesting that humans do require sunglasses when spending time outside. The guys on "Ancient Aliens" say that's because we really aren't from this planet. I don't buy into THAT theory.... but I do avoid an excess of direct sun. Just in case I live a long time... I'd like to keep my sight.

I wear the kit.... as part of the recreational cycling fun. Sunglasses and clipped in shoes included. However... the legs remain hairy and I keep a bike with toe clips too.
Old 10-16-15, 08:34 PM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Minton
I use "Remington" shooting glasses:
(https://www.amazon.com/Remington-Shoo...0_SR160%2C160_

They are cheap and fit well.

Joe
Ha! I have those exact same ones that I use when target practice. I considered using them for biking as well, except they occasionally fog up in high humidity, even when just sitting at a bench. Considering how much I sweat, they'd probably be unusable on the bike for me.
Old 10-16-15, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
I've been wearing my daily prescription glasses. How have I survived ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-16-15, 09:04 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I've been wearing my daily prescription glasses. How have I survived ?
Not everyone experiences sun related issues or damages. But skin and eye [sun] damage can be accumulative over many years or even decades. When I spend time in the sun I wear sunglasses (or clip-ons) and I wear sunscreen (at least on my nose).
Old 10-16-15, 10:34 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
To the OP: no
Old 10-16-15, 10:37 PM

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
It's interesting that humans do require sunglasses when spending time outside...
Even at night?
Old 10-16-15, 11:08 PM

Bikes: Worksman Port o trike, Cozy cargo trike; both electric.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Polarized lenses can make some computer displays difficult to read.
Even more dangerous to cyclists they can make some walk signals almost impossible to see.
Old 10-16-15, 11:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not everyone experiences sun related issues or damages. But skin and eye [sun] damage can be accumulative over many years or even decades. When I spend time in the sun I wear sunglasses (or clip-ons) and I wear sunscreen (at least on my nose).
Rule of thumb is the lighter the color of your eyes the more susceptible to sun damage you are likely to be. Blue and gray eyes are more likely to suffer damage than brown or black..
Old 10-16-15, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by T Stew
Even at night?
If you have to ask..... sure. Can't be too safe!
Old 10-17-15, 07:16 AM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by hoodat
Even more dangerous to cyclists they can make some walk signals almost impossible to see.
To my knowledge, I have never had any problem whatsoever seeing any walk or don't walk signals (driving, walking or cycling) while wearing polarized sunglasses.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-17-15, 07:17 AM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by hyhuu
The top of my cycling glasses is higher than my normal glasses. That allows me to see better when riding in the drop or drop-like. With the other glasses, I have to bend my neck a bit more and that's something I can't do very long.
To me, this is the most important aspect of good cycling specific sunglasses.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-17-15, 08:33 AM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Cycling specific sunglasses are a fashion accessory. I've cycled many thousands of miles wearing regular cheap sports sunglasses or dark safety glasses.
Old 10-17-15, 09:07 AM

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My take...glasses do several things...cycling classes often do some of them better

1. Already mentioned, but some allow you to look forward with your head pointed down.

2. UV, glare protection...all sunglasses do this.

3. Bug and debris protection...especially important the faster you go, or in the woods, or at night, or on dirt/ recently chipsealed, or dirty roads.

4. Aerodynamics...not really a big deal unless you are a racer worried about differences with f seconds, but I'm sure the pros choose glasses that are more aero.

5. Versatility...some cycling glasses come with interchangeable lenses for bright sun, dawn, dusk, and night riding. I just got some of these, and love them
Old 10-17-15, 09:10 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,686 Times in 830 Posts
FWIW- I still carry a pair of flip-up sunglasses glasses I used to wear on commutes. I got into film photography 15 years ago and old manual film cameras and became obsessed with estimating light conditions and exposures in my head, so I stopped wearing sunglasses. My step-daughter bought a fancy light meter for her photography class and I was able to match its readings. A lot of simpler, older cameras also have lenses that focus, but no way to focus them (not through the lens nor with a built-in range finder) so you learn to estimate distance in your head, or using your two eyes and fingers as a range-finder. Sorry, geeked out there for a second.
Old 10-17-15, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hoodat
Rule of thumb is the lighter the color of your eyes the more susceptible to sun damage you are likely to be. Blue and gray eyes are more likely to suffer damage than brown or black..
This is true! I have blue eyes and living in Phoenix means I'm never without a pair of sunglasses, even on a rare cloudy day. I also am very sensitive to street lights, headlights, and brake lights at night.

Old 10-18-15, 04:58 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I think the OP question as a two part question. First is about eye protection while outdoors. Second is while riding outdoors. Seems simple enough.

There is a lot written about damage to the eyes and its cumulative effect with aging. The ophthalmologist and optometrist are generally in agreement with most of the current literature (research papers).

Best place to go for advice is to the professionals. Its primarily a health question.

Pat, you're in Staten Island. NYU has a school of optometry. Give them a call.

Last edited by Garfield Cat; 10-18-15 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-18-15, 09:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not all sunlight comes from the front. Glasses that have protection from the sides are also important if you ride where there is a lot of reflected sunlight such as water or light colored sand.
Old 10-18-15, 09:34 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 2,081 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
When you get right down to it, there's no real reason to buy any clothing or accessory like sunglasses that's specifically labeled for cycling. The litmus should be whether a specific product performs the desired function. If it does, buy it.

It's hard to get away from certain cycling specific items, such as bibs, standard cycling shorts, etc. But you don't have to wear jerseys when riding, don't have to buy a particular brand, etc. When you can save money, save it and use that money for things where the right product is more important.
+ 1.
Old 10-18-15, 05:39 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
It's interesting that humans do require sunglasses when spending time outside. The guys on "Ancient Aliens" say that's because we really aren't from this planet. I don't buy into THAT theory.... but I do avoid an excess of direct sun. Just in case I live a long time... I'd like to keep my sight.

I wear the kit.... as part of the recreational cycling fun. Sunglasses and clipped in shoes included. However... the legs remain hairy and I keep a bike with toe clips too.
-- my sight has been mostly gone since I was about 10. I've been just on the good side of legally blind most of my life.

-- I'm part alien ... at least that's what my father who is all, or mostly, alien claims. (yes ... joking ... we think ...)

-- in thinking about it, I have spent several years using glasses with transition lenses, so they've got some sun protection. I am awaiting another pair right now which should be ready sometime this week. And I wear a helmet. For a lot of years, it was a helmet with a visor which shaded my eyes. I don't think my current helmet has a visor, but how often do I get to ride in sunshine ... maybe once a week?
Old 10-18-15, 10:19 PM

Last weekend I went on a nice casual ride. Very... Grant Petersen style. Although I did wear a helmet... but I used no other cycling specific clothing. I even rode with platform pedals.

I have no idea what percent of cycling clothing is style and fashion... and which part is useful cycling equipment. I think for the most part most people could bicycle very happily with no more equipment... than the bicycle itself.
Old 10-18-15, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last weekend I went on a nice casual ride. Very... Grant Petersen style. Although I did wear a helmet... but I used no other cycling specific clothing. I even rode with platform pedals.

I have no idea what percent of cycling clothing is style and fashion... and which part is useful cycling equipment. I think for the most part most people could bicycle very happily with no more equipment... than the bicycle itself.
sunglasses is a must for my rides. A scratch in the eye from dirt or something else can make a miserable rest of the ride
Old 10-18-15, 10:34 PM

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Cataracts are a good reason to wear sunglasses, or indeed prescription glasses, which have as a matter of course, UV protection by law in most developed countries. Especially near the poles where the Ozone Holes can cause increased UV levels.

Years ago I used to favour a particular style of Bolle safety glasses, they were, for the time, the outrageous sum of $15, I could buy a set of replacement lenses for $10. I saw exactly the same design frames in a sunglass shop for $300 being sold as designer sunglasses. I figured eventually the two divisions of Bolle must have realised the conflict. They resolved it by not selling the safety glasses any more.

Last lot of "cycling" glasses I got came from the safety shop- $6 a pair.

Incidentally I love my SPD sandals. Very Fred-ly especially when worn with luridly coloured socks, baggy shorts, a normal looking shirt and a helmet mirror. Nothing drives a weekend lycra warrior crazier than being passed by a Fred.
Old 10-19-15, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Damien09
sunglasses is a must ......
I agree.... at least for me. Whether cycling, jogging, hiking, playing ball, or just hanging out.... the "normal" appropriate gear avoids lots of inconvenience. As well as provide needed safety and protection. I forget that first aid centers and emergency rooms regularly treat people who are over-exposed for the conditions they are in. And conditions believed to be caused form long-term exposure to things like the sun.... is another matter altogether.

But does cycling provide specific dangers/hazards that require specific clothing.... or as this thread asks: "glasses labeled as cycling sunglasses".

I don't think so.... even though mine are... and I prefer wearing/using regular cycling gear most of the time (when cycling). But I can't see how a pair of Wayfarer sunglasses would be inadequate for sun... or a pair of motorcycle goggles too much for cold wind.
Old 10-19-15, 10:00 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a pair of Bolle glasses I use for cycling. They aren't cycling specific, but they are sporty, don't slide around and are comfortable. Were they cheap? No...but I have found I take much better care of "designer" sunglasses than I ever did cheap ones. I have 3 pairs of designer sunglasses (Bolle, Ray Ban and Maui Jim), all are polarized and well made; I haven't had to buy a pair in 5+ years.
Old 10-19-15, 10:24 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I have a few pair that wrap well around the side of the face, and block the bugs and wind very well.The ones I have come with clear interchangeable lenses for after dark. I ride at dusk and the dark every week. That's often when there are lots of bugs out. The clear lenses are very helpful to me. They are probably 15 years old and from Performance bike. If you don't ride in the dark often and they block the wind well, anything will do the job.

Mine were about $30, about 15 years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.