Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-14, 12:12 PM

Bikes: Paramount Series 3, Shimano RX-100; Cannondale CAADX, Shimano 105; Cinelli SuperCorsa, SRAM Red; Pinarello Dogma F8, Shimano Dura-Ace Di 2; Firefly Custom Titanium Sram 1x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CarinusMalmari
You basically start out with implying that people who ride without a helmet are superficial delusional idiots that should STFU

As far as I'm considered implied insults are insults too.
I see, YOU CAN"T quote any of my insults. Called your bluff and found you holding your dick. No surprise.

Then you try to redefine what an insult is in order to feel insulted. Excellent.

And finally you lie to readers again suggesting that I called someone delusional or idiots when in fact I did not.

The quote you produce very clearly insults no person. It merely criticize a BEHAVIOR, not people. Which is the right thing to do. People's arguments are game and can be demolished if you can, but people themselves must be respected just as the way you expect to be. Learn the difference.
Old 11-07-14, 12:14 PM

Bikes: Paramount Series 3, Shimano RX-100; Cannondale CAADX, Shimano 105; Cinelli SuperCorsa, SRAM Red; Pinarello Dogma F8, Shimano Dura-Ace Di 2; Firefly Custom Titanium Sram 1x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Not really. If I look at the odds of my having a potentially severe accident on a particular ride, and multiply that by the probability that I'll mess up or by chance hit something with my head, the probability of a helmet being useful may be too low to warrant its use.
And where can you look at those soothing odds for your specific ride, Google, dictionary, where?
Old 11-07-14, 12:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consider it an initiation into the Helmet thread, nominally and specifically maintained for the sole purpose of containing the contentious and often personal arguments that are somehow inevitable when helmets are discussed.

Merely posting in this thread can sometimes be considered an insult. Not posting while ignoring someone is considered insulting by some. Some people get riled up even when you agree with them. There is no way around it.
Well I feel throroughly insulted now, and I thank you kindly from the bottom of the scar tissue that will hopefully blunt the next one.
Old 11-07-14, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiglath
I see, YOU CAN"T quote any of my insults. Called your bluff and found you holding your dick. No surprise.

Then you try to redefine what an insult is in order to feel insulted. Excellent.

And finally you lie to readers again suggesting that I called someone delusional or idiots when in fact I did not.

The quote you produce very clearly insults no person. It merely criticize a BEHAVIOR, not people. Which is the right thing to do. People's arguments are game and can be demolished if you can, but people themselves must be respected just as the way you expect to be. Learn the difference.
Those who post insults who are unable to see their posted insult for what it is are generally idiots.
Old 11-07-14, 12:23 PM

This guy should probably be wearing a helmet...

Old 11-07-14, 12:29 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
And where can you look at those soothing odds for your specific ride, Google, dictionary, where?
I've used the household transportation survey and cross-check against other sources to estimate bicycle trips and mileage, then overall injury and fatality stats to piece together a very approximate probability of accident per mile and per trip. There are tabulations of accidents summarized by most of the factors that typically describe a commute, and by general categories of rider (age, sex, etc) by which you may arrive at a little better approximation.

You'll need to be willing to do a bit of research, and then to apply sound statistical reasoning. And be forewarned that much of the data is incomplete or dubious - one needs to evaluate and assign confidence intervals to the any calculations.

Or, alternatively, the use of good judgement based on knowledge of the conditions and danger. But I prefer math.

Last edited by wphamilton; 11-07-14 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-07-14, 12:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Minton
wphamilton:

I mentioned my friend Professor Hurt, "Harry" to his friends: more about him later.

Even though he was a proponent of wearing helmets for safety's sake, he privately supported an individual's right to not wear one. He knew (better than almost anyone) the likely consequences of helmet-free collisions/impacts but thought that freedom of choice was more important (he was from West Texas after all). He, like I, only want those who choose not to wear a helmet to know what they actually face --- it ain't pretty.

Joe
The right not to wear a helmet is not sufficient. If someone wants to take risk by deliberately neglecting to use commonly used and available protection, and he is wrong and ends up with a head injury. Sad and regrettable as it is, no part of the bill involved in his recovery or funeral should be passed to others in any way.

Right yes, but with according responsibility.
Old 11-07-14, 12:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Those who post insults who are unable to see their posted insult for what it is are generally idiots.
Whatever. I look forward to not talking to you again.
Old 11-07-14, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 131 Posts
This, basically
Old 11-07-14, 12:37 PM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Consider it an initiation into the Helmet thread, nominally and specifically maintained for the sole purpose of containing the contentious and often personal arguments that are somehow inevitable when helmets are discussed.

Merely posting in this thread can sometimes be considered an insult. Not posting while ignoring someone is considered insulting by some. Some people get riled up even when you agree with them. There is no way around it.
...I find this vaguely insulting.
Old 11-07-14, 12:38 PM

I'd bet that many of the drivers we encounter would use that exact same argument to force us off the road. It's wrong for them also, because it's none of their business and this "costs me money" argument dissipates into wisps whenever you examine it closely.
Old 11-07-14, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
And well you should, considering where it's posted. At least you know that I'm not insultingly ignoring you.
Old 11-07-14, 12:39 PM

Whatever. I look forward to not talking to you again.
But I didn't insult you, I just criticized a certain behavior... Aww...
Old 11-07-14, 12:44 PM
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
How DARE you!! Never speaking to you again.
Old 11-07-14, 12:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used the household transportation survey and cross-check against other sources to estimate bicycle trips and mileage, then overall injury and fatality stats to piece together a very approximate probability of accident per mile and per trip. There are tabulations of accidents summarized by most of the factors that typically describe a commute, and by general categories of rider (age, sex, etc) by which you may arrive at a little better approximation.

You'll need to be willing to do a bit of research, and then to apply sound statistical reasoning. And be forewarned that much of the data is incomplete or dubious - one needs to evaluate and assign confidence intervals to the any calculations.

Or, alternatively, the use of good judgement based on knowledge of the conditions and danger. But I prefer math.
Thank you for your sarcasm and insult free answer. There are after all folks here who understand the importance of manners.

I took a different tack. When I got back into cycling after never having worn a helmet before, I thought about it. And the sheer desire to live a long life injury free decided for me. So now it's settled and it's already paid off.

Also, the fact that cycling helmets are really no big deal to wear helped a lot. The cost/benefit ratio is a good one.

Not so with motorcycles. I also rode motocycles without helmet in my misspent youth, but when I bought my last motorbike, I had to wear one, and I agree that it is best to do so. Good motorcycle helmets, however, are just terrible head cages, and do take away a lot of the fun. So I no longer ride a motorbike, it's too uncomfortable and the few close calls I had tell me that all those SUV that own the roads are too much to deal with.
Old 11-07-14, 12:46 PM

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright guys.

Let's take a step back and try to discuss this without resorting to insults or emotions. I don't care who started it.

Let's try to move this thread into a direction where we post studies and rational, unbiased, websites on the problem at hand. (Or at least websites that admit their biases.)

I'll start.

Here's the study that EVERYONE and their mother get's the helmets are 85% safer statistic (even though that's not what the study says.)

https://www.med.illinois.edu/m2/epid...ctions/3-5.pdf
Hopefully you'll be able to see it, since I'm at a university I have better access than most. If you actually bother to read the study more than the abstract (and you have any sort of experimental training.) you'll see that the study was conducted poorly and the conclusions that were drawn were...dubious and a bit reaching. Many sites agree with me on these points.

Now, here's a safe cycling website discussing helmet use and also has a few notes about this study further down the page.

https://bicyclesafe.com/helmets.html

Some of the interesting things on this page.

Helmets DO make falls a bit safer. However, wearing a helmet makes BIKING more dangerous. They sited a "study" (I haven't read it.) where they found that cars tend to pass helmeted bikers more closely than non-helmeted bikers, increasing the risk of getting hit.

This is one of their conclusions.
Research has failed to show any net protective value of bike helmets.

We all have opinions strongly laced with emotions and experiences. Let's try to keep those out of the discussion and read what scientists and people more level headed than we are have to say.

EDIT: So I don't seem biased, here's a site advocating for the USE of helmets. They DO admit their bias however.

https://www.helmets.org/shouldi.htm

Last edited by corrado33; 11-07-14 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-07-14, 12:47 PM

The right not to wear a helmet is not sufficient. If someone wants to take risk by deliberately neglecting to use commonly used and available protection, and he is wrong and ends up with a head injury. Sad and regrettable as it is, no part of the bill involved in his recovery or funeral should be passed to others in any way.
So regardless of the specific circumstances of the accidents, if someone dared to not wear a helmet when it happened, they should be held accountable for the full damage that might or might not have been prevented by the helmet. But of course you aren't in favor of MHL.

Also, pretending you find something sad and regrettable, when it's painfully clear you lick your chops at the thought of brain-splattering dead helmet-haters or drooling brain-damaged helmet deniers that go bankrupt on medical bills because they dared to defy your advise in this matter, is rather hypocritical.

Anyway, if you stop whining about how horrible the people here treat you, you'll fit in just fine and you can be a real asset to this discussion.
Old 11-07-14, 12:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But I didn't insult you, I just criticized a certain behavior... Aww...

It's not your behavior that is offensive, it's your smell.
Old 11-07-14, 12:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CarinusMalmari
So regardless of the specific circumstances of the accidents, if someone dared to not wear a helmet when it happened, they should be held accountable for the full damage that might or might not have been prevented by the helmet. But of course you aren't in favor of MHL.

Also, pretending you find something sad and regrettable, when it's painfully clear you lick your chops at the thought of brain-splattering dead helmet-haters or drooling brain-damaged helmet deniers that go bankrupt on medical bills because they dared to defy your advise in this matter, is rather hypocritical.

Anyway, if you stop whining about how horrible the people here treat you, you'll fit in just fine and you can be a real asset to this discussion.
There is no good future between us. I recommend you find other ears.
Old 11-07-14, 12:55 PM

I don't mind insults, it's an integral part of the experience. But I'm mildly irritated by people who can't take what they dish out.
Old 11-07-14, 01:00 PM
Friendship is Magic

I recommend you find other ears.
Old 11-07-14, 01:03 PM

There is no good future between us. I recommend you find other ears.
This is exactly the attitude as to why my hopes are high for you. With time I can see you become the new not-rydabent-but-the-other-one. Your character is as pleasant as nails to a school board and you're completely oblivious to that. Other than that your convictions are very strong, and that's exactly what you need to excel here.
Old 11-07-14, 01:05 PM
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by corrado33
Alright guys.

Let's take a step back and try to discuss this without resorting to insults or emotions. I don't care who started it.

Let's try to move this thread into a direction where we post studies and rational, unbiased, websites on the problem at hand. (Or at least websites that admit their biases.)

I'll start.

Here's the study that EVERYONE and their mother get's the helmets are 85% safer statistic (even though that's not what the study says.)

https://www.med.illinois.edu/m2/epid...ctions/3-5.pdf
Hopefully you'll be able to see it, since I'm at a university I have better access than most. If you actually bother to read the study more than the abstract (and you have any sort of experimental training.) you'll see that the study was conducted poorly and the conclusions that were drawn were...dubious and a bit reaching. Many sites agree with me on these points.

Now, here's a safe cycling website discussing helmet use and also has a few notes about this study further down the page.

https://bicyclesafe.com/helmets.html

Some of the interesting things on this page.

Helmets DO make falls a bit safer. However, wearing a helmet makes BIKING more dangerous. They sited a "study" (I haven't read it.) where they found that cars tend to pass helmeted bikers more closely than non-helmeted bikers, increasing the risk of getting hit.

This is one of their conclusions.
Research has failed to show any net protective value of bike helmets.

We all have opinions strongly laced with emotions and experiences. Let's try to keep those out of the discussion and read what scientists and people more level headed than we are have to say.

EDIT: So I don't seem biased, here's a site advocating for the USE of helmets. They DO admit their bias however.

Should I Wear a Bike Helmet?
...I do not wish to seem negative, but the studies approach has been tried in other iterations of this thread.

For some reason, unbeknownst to me this appears to be more of a political and emotional issue. There are many quoted studies on both sides of the issue, and a lot of questionably biased research. @meanwhile was good at quoting studies and interpreting them to support his own views, even if the overall study did not. He (or she) might be on "vacation" right now, though.

But good on you for this rather Quixotic attempt at introducing order into bedlam, For Bedlam is what the Helment Threadtm genuinely is.
Old 11-07-14, 01:07 PM
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by tractorlegs
How DARE you!! Never speaking to you again.

...more broken promises, I bet.
Old 11-07-14, 01:10 PM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
MOD NOTE: OK, I think everyone has made it clear as to who like whom, the definition of insults, etc. Please let it go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.