Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 09:54 PM

Bikes: dahon folding

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I really miss riding to work but it's supposed to get down to zero tonite and there is ice and snow on many of our roadways. Less than a year left to bike to work (if Spring ever gets close) as I plan to retire at the end of the year.

You should live in a warmer climate. I used to live in Syracuse NY and the bicycle season was much too short. I make up for it now in Chandler AZ where it's been in the 70's all week. I can bicycle all year with little trouble.
Old 01-16-18, 06:21 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jstack6
You should live in a warmer climate. I used to live in Syracuse NY and the bicycle season was much too short. I make up for it now in Chandler AZ where it's been in the 70's all week. I can bicycle all year with little trouble.
Wow. You're warmer than west central Florida. It was 41F this morning and got all the way up to 65F this afternoon. But I did get out for my usual ride.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-16-18, 06:53 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
My stoker and I moved to Atlanta when we married and stayed there for 8 yrs before moving back to Indiana 30+ years ago. Not nearly as warm as FLA or AZ but I was able to be a year round everyday bike commuter. More of a spring through fall commuter in recent years but only when weather ok and my batteries charged.
Old 01-17-18, 07:11 AM
Life is good

When I lived in ATL (actually Decatur) I was a mostly year round commuter. My coldest ride was 18F going to work one morning. It was COLD!!! After that I didn't ride unless it was above 30F.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-17-18, 12:43 PM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by RonH
When I lived in ATL (actually Decatur) I was a mostly year round commuter. My coldest ride was 18F going to work one morning. It was COLD!!! After that I didn't ride unless it was above 30F.
Had to stop and patch a flat once riding to work in the 20's. Wasn't cold very often. Although the locals would not agree.
Old 01-18-18, 12:39 PM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by JanMM
Had to stop and patch a flat once riding to work in the 20's. Wasn't cold very often. Although the locals would not agree.
Biked home from work during 1982's Snow Jam event - fell down at least once on the way from Crawford Long Hospital to Virginia Highland.
Old 01-21-18, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nope. I was born in Orlando and spent all of my adult life in Florida, south Alabama and Georgia. Although I did spend a few years in PA in my "previous life", but I try not to remember that bit.
Hey I resent that Pa. remark since I live there and a couple of weeks ago my phone Company(Century Link) told me I had been with them from the same address for 44 years and 5 days. I told them it could be my last day if they didn't get my billing straightened out. lol

Zman
Old 01-22-18, 11:49 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,847 Times in 2,235 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
..... a couple of weeks ago my phone Company(Century Link) told me I had been with them from the same address for 44 years and 5 days. Zman
In the last 44 years (since 1973) i have bought (& sold) and occupied 9 homes, in 8 different cities in 5 states. Only the first house was during military service. I've been called a tumbleweed... and worse.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-27-18 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 03:32 PM
Life is good

Originally Posted by Zurichman2
Hey I resent that Pa. remark since I live there ...
You missed the "previous life" bit. Previous life as when I was married to my ex.

Old 01-22-18, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
You missed the "previous life" bit. Previous life as when I was married to my ex.
That is alright I was just kidding at my end. There is still some decent people left in Pa. lol

Zman
Old 01-30-18, 01:31 PM

Location: Just up the road from the Withlacoochee Trail-Holder Trailhead

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Disk

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ron,
I'm new to the area and getting back into biking again. location: Beverly Hills...Not far from the Withlacoochee Trail.

I sure could use a "Bike Buddy" to show me the ropes. Interested?
Dave
Old 01-30-18, 09:12 PM
Life is good

Originally Posted by DGoodrow
Ron,
I'm new to the area and getting back into biking again. location: Beverly Hills...Not far from the Withlacoochee Trail.

I sure could use a "Bike Buddy" to show me the ropes. Interested?
Dave
Hi Dave,
Did you get my private message?

Old 01-31-18, 04:38 AM

Location: Just up the road from the Withlacoochee Trail-Holder Trailhead

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Disk

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Dave,
Did you get my private message?
Absolutely! I will email you in a few minutes.
d
Old 02-01-18, 03:53 PM
Life is good

I met @DGoodrow at the Holder trailhead on the Withlacoochee Trail today. We had a great ride to the north end and back to Holder (11 miles). It was nice to have someone to ride with. None of my neighbors ride, other than a loop around our community, which is just under 2 miles.
We have plans to ride again on Saturday. Maybe we can up the distance a bit.

Old 02-04-18, 08:47 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R600 Triple, Me-Mover FIT 2.0

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the Rails to Trails ride March 4 on the Withlacoochee trail, and look for something different, Me-Mover riders.
Old 02-04-18, 11:24 PM

Bikes: C3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven’t done birthdays for ages, but began life in 1950. I imagine that age is defined to some extent by context, those around, that came before and coming after. Suspect that if I’d never seen another human I’d be unaware of age. ... it all depends on how we interpret what we see, what we believe.

Last edited by haylew; 02-05-18 at 03:32 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-06-18, 07:18 AM
Life is good

Welcome haylew. Glad you're here.

Old 02-08-18, 04:08 AM

Bikes: Schwinn S7, Schwinn '66 cruiser, couple of MTB's

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was asked by RonH to check into this part of the forum.
I am 73 years old and just starting to ride a little. Last time I rode a bike was when I was in junior high school.
I was at the trash site a couple weeks ago and found a mountain bike that was being thrown away. My eyes lit up and I thought, now that is something I can work on and maybe ride. Got it home and started reading and buying parts to get it back to going.
After adjusting and setting up for me, I took it for a test ride around the house. Lots of heavy breathing and heart pounding during that short trip.
I have a below knee left leg amputation that I've had for 15 years and it wasn't a big problem riding. I think I need a different bike than a mountain bike so I am going to check out a couple of bike shops that are local and get their advise on what I might need.
There are a lot of places here to ride. City has designated bike lanes and the county has a 4 mile greenway following a river that is paved that is only a 10 minute drive from me.
I'll check in very often and read a lot from this forum.
Hope I can maybe contribute a little and hope to learn a lot from here.
Old 02-09-18, 07:23 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardHaas
I was asked by RonH to check into this part of the forum.
I am 73 years old and just starting to ride a little. Last time I rode a bike was when I was in junior high school.
Welcome to the forum, to this thread, and to bicycling itself! I guess you prove the old saw that "you never forget how to ride a bike."

For myself, I'm 71 and have ridden bikes starting from age 5 or so (3 if you count tricycles) except for one 15-year period from age 16 to 30 when I was more interested in driving. But counting motorcycles as at least being on two wheels, there's only a 5-year gap. Funny that I first saw motorcycles as recapturing the feeling of freedom of riding a bicycle, then 40 years later got more into bicycling to relive my motorcycling memories after I gave them up.
Old 02-09-18, 11:07 AM

Bikes: Schwinn S7, Schwinn '66 cruiser, couple of MTB's

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
Welcome to the forum, to this thread, and to bicycling itself! I guess you prove the old saw that "you never forget how to ride a bike."

For myself, I'm 71 and have ridden bikes starting from age 5 or so (3 if you count tricycles) except for one 15-year period from age 16 to 30 when I was more interested in driving. But counting motorcycles as at least being on two wheels, there's only a 5-year gap. Funny that I first saw motorcycles as recapturing the feeling of freedom of riding a bicycle, then 40 years later got more into bicycling to relive my motorcycling memories after I gave them up.
Thanks Doug for the welcome. I rode a motorcycle when I was a teenager and hung that idea up when I almost wrecked it while racing cars stop light to stop light. Took it home after sliding through a stop light and never rode it again.
I'm not sure how much distance I can ride with the bike but I'll never know until I get out and ride it some besides around the yard. It is still too cold for me now but spring is just around the corner.
I found a mountain bike that was being thrown away and have gone through it replacing bad parts and a good cleaning.
Yesterday I bought a Schwinn cruiser from a bike shop and he gave me a bike carrier for my car that someone had given him to give away to someone that needed one. I got lucky on that part since I didn't have a way to haul the bike.

Thanks
Richard
Old 02-09-18, 09:53 PM

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Watched the Olympic opening ceremony tonight and it reminded me it is winter. Been in the 70's and just gorgeous in the Bay Area, hardly any wind as well for a change. I'm so much faster on days like this, lol. At 68, daily riding is essential for my physical and mental health. This is how I like it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0165.jpg (53.1 KB, 156 views)
Old 02-11-18, 07:39 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Watched the Olympic opening ceremony tonight and it reminded me it is winter. Been in the 70's and just gorgeous in the Bay Area, hardly any wind as well for a change. I'm so much faster on days like this, lol. At 68, daily riding is essential for my physical and mental health. This is how I like it...
But it's also nice to appreciate a variety of activities. This weekend, my wife and I spent time snowshoeing and cross-country skiing locally. As I'm finding out this morning, X-C skiing does use some muscles that not many other activities use, including cycling! Gotta go pop a couple Aleves now...
Old 02-11-18, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by DougG
But it's also nice to appreciate a variety of activities. This weekend, my wife and I spent time snowshoeing and cross-country skiing locally. As I'm finding out this morning, X-C skiing does use some muscles that not many other activities use, including cycling! Gotta go pop a couple Aleves now...
Haha, x country is challenging. It's the only kind of skiing I've ever done; downhill is too hard on my knees and scares me anyway. Unfortunately, this year, little snow up at Tahoe. But last year I got a lot of x country in. x country is highly aerobic as well. Riding is something I can do every day for free, though, and skiing costs me $ every time.
Old 02-11-18, 11:21 PM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Yeah, but we are going to pay for it this summer. Drought comin' baby,

I ride for joy on the weekends with my spouse as my riding partner, I run and do more aggressive physical stuff during the week. She's recovering from bilateral knee surgery, so my rides have gotten a bit more "serious".

Spring riding in the Bay Area early Feb., who'd thought.
Old 02-11-18, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Yeah, but we are going to pay for it this summer. Drought comin' baby,

I ride for joy on the weekends with my spouse as my riding partner, I run and do more aggressive physical stuff during the week. She's recovering from bilateral knee surgery, so my rides have gotten a bit more "serious".

Spring riding in the Bay Area early Feb., who'd thought.
Even with all the rain last year, I'm still in drought mode as are most folks I know...conserving. Hoping for every other year rain/drought mode. At least the reservoirs are well filled. And since EBMUD never dropped the drought surcharges, even during last year's rain, it won't impact our bills much. All my neighbors have long since gotten rid of their grass and water-hogging landscape.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.