Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction XXXX7

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction XXXX7

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-15, 09:24 PM
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28655 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Forget all this silly bicycle crap.
Most of the time I do.

Originally Posted by rjones28
@Velo Vol,

Are you going to this?
I'm not getting another bike, and that kind of sounds like a pain, so probably not.

I could go riding down there, though, and drop some noob cyclists for kicks.

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
You'd think Specialized would know how to spell Sequoia - they used to have a bike called that ferchrissakes.
wut
Old 05-17-15, 09:26 PM
VFL For Life

Fun Fact: I've ridden by the Sequoyah Birthplace Museum
Old 05-17-15, 09:30 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Garmin

Strava

https://www.strava.com/activities/203301632

@Heathpack, there's a huge difference in calories between the two, and I tend to believe the Garmin is much closer. That one was 4 Nutri-Grains, 4 Gels, 2 Skratch, and 3 more Gatorades. Likely a a pack of Bloks, as well. It was a sporty ride, and when I do the Z2 stuff, it's quite a bit less, even though those are a challenge in themselves.
Wow, that data is weird. Honestly I never look at anything in Garmin anymore because I get such weird data losses in Garmin. I just look at WKO and Strava.

If you look at your raw power data, you will see the number of kilojoules of power you put out on the ride. You can see it too in the Strava link, which says you put of 3847 KJ of power. It appears Strava is assuming a metabolic efficiency of approx. 22%, which is a pretty standard number. To convert power output to calories burned at 22% metabolic efficiency, you multiple to total number KJ by 1.09. That's where your calories burned number comes from on Strava and that would be pretty much the accepted calorie burn, as I understand it.

No idea where Garmin is coming up with its number. Its LESS than your power output. The most metabolically efficient cyclists are about 26% efficient. That correction factor is 0.92. So 3847 x 0.92 is 3592 calories burned. Garmin is estimating you burned even less calories than that. Which means Garmin is assuming that you are some kind of freak of nature as far as metabolic efficiency goes. Haha, you probably are, that's why you're such a bad-ass on the bike.

Look in your Golden Cheetah data for that date and see what your raw power output was. For me, Strava is pulling my KJ of power output directly from my WKO data, my kilojoule output is the same in WKO and Strava.

Of course you can do all the fancy math you want and in reality what works on the bike is what works on the bike. But the Strava numbers look in theory to be more reflective of the accepted formulae used by exercise physiologists.
Old 05-17-15, 09:31 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11411 Post(s)
Liked 4,774 Times in 2,774 Posts
You'd think Specialized would know how to spell Sequoia - they used to have a bike called that ferchrissakes.
They thank Allez is spelled Alize. No surprise there at all, @LesterOfPuppets
Old 05-17-15, 09:36 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Wow, that data is weird. Honestly I never look at anything in Garmin anymore because I get such weird data losses in Garmin. I just look at WKO and Strava.

If you look at your raw power data, you will see the number of kilojoules of power you put out on the ride. You can see it too in the Strava link, which says you put of 3847 KJ of power. It appears Strava is assuming a metabolic efficiency of approx. 22%, which is a pretty standard number. To convert power output to calories burned at 22% metabolic efficiency, you multiple to total number KJ by 1.09. That's where your calories burned number comes from on Strava and that would be pretty much the accepted calorie burn, as I understand it.

No idea where Garmin is coming up with its number. Its LESS than your power output. The most metabolically efficient cyclists are about 26% efficient. That correction factor is 0.92. So 3847 x 0.92 is 3592 calories burned. Garmin is estimating you burned even less calories than that. Which means Garmin is assuming that you are some kind of freak of nature as far as metabolic efficiency goes. Haha, you probably are, that's why you're such a bad-ass on the bike.

Look in your Golden Cheetah data for that date and see what your raw power output was. For me, Strava is pulling my KJ of power output directly from my WKO data, my kilojoule output is the same in WKO and Strava.

Of course you can do all the fancy math you want and in reality what works on the bike is what works on the bike. But the Strava numbers look in theory to be more reflective of the accepted formulae used by exercise physiologists.
However, you did consume around 1600 cal on a 6 hour ride, which is around 250 cal/hr. Pretty much exactly the same as I typically manage to get into me.
Old 05-17-15, 09:42 PM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26433 Post(s)
Liked 10,394 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol

I did ride today. Not a long ride, though. While I got rid of the tyre tumor, I had inflammation tumors on my knees. If it's not one thing it's another.

...sadly, I am unable to send you a pair of knees, as they rarely show up as donations. Good on the ride though, helpful to the spirits.
Old 05-17-15, 09:43 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11411 Post(s)
Liked 4,774 Times in 2,774 Posts

It's all the salad I eat.

Seriously, I've never put a ton of stock in either, but all the recommendations I have seen severely overestimates my caloric needs. Perhaps I store more, or don't need as much, but I do know I need solids. Living on gels and Bloks won't do.
Old 05-17-15, 09:54 PM
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by FLvector
@Heathpack, I've never been much of a calorie counter on or off the bike. I just make sure I'm drinking enough, start the day well fueled with a good meal and eat several times throughout the ride. Looking back at a few centuries, I usually do the flat ones just under 5 hrs, a bit longer with hilly ones. I average a bit over 3,000 calories for a 5 hr ride, roughly 600/hr according to Garmin. I have no clue on how accurate that really is since I eat based on how I feel. I'm usually good about eating and drinking enough, but get surprised once in a while.
3000 calories burned less 1000 calories consumed leaves you with a 2000 cal deficit, that's really close to running running your glycogen stores to zero. Puts you on the edge of bonkiness, at least in theory.

I'm all over this information because I record it in my WKO data in my notes when I upload my data, its something that's part of my typical ride review. The longer the ride is, there more aberrant your physiology becomes and the more you have to stay on top of this stuff.

Also more important for me for several reasons:
1. I'm slower than you and drafting is less relevant on climbing rides, so my rides last longer
2. I still may be putting out a comparable effort as far as %FTP goes
3. Higher % body fat, so even at the same weight, you have more muscle and hence more glycogen stores
4. Even though you are a slim guy, you probably still weigh more than me, even more glycogen stores

So my ride yesterday was at 72% FTP for 7.5 hours. 3150 KJ expended, translating into 3500 calories at the assumed 22% metabolic efficiency (see post above, the conversion factor is 1.09). So if I tried to get by on my century with 1000 calories (3 clif bars and 2 bottles Skratch), I would have almost certainly bonked, I'd have had a 2500 cal deficit and I probably don't have that much stored glycogen.

Of course the thing I keep ignoring is fat metabolism, obviously I'm burning some fat in all this too, which mitigates the calorie deficit. I do a lot of fasted training, all of my interval workouts on the trainer, to accentuate my ability to burn fat, its what my coach thinks saved me on the Breathless Agony when I got behind on calories.

Anyway, interesting subject (to me). The big point being a century is not a century. There are a lot of variables that go in to the various calorie burns, factors to do with the athlete, the type of ride, terrain, etc. Haha, you have a lot of time to think on some of these epic endurance rides, I guess. When I got ahead of Steady Steve for a bit yesterday, I spent about an hour musing on the subject of "Is a watt really a watt, as far as metabolic cost goes?" I am increasingly thinking that a climbing watt "costs" more calories than a high cadence watt. But that is another subject entirely.
Old 05-17-15, 10:34 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12801 Post(s)
Liked 7,722 Times in 4,094 Posts
Specialized should make them change the name.

Old 05-18-15, 01:19 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannihilator
Wait, you have a Ford Capri RS3100?
That's a blast from the past.

I'm having more fun owning and driving this silly sports car than I ever expected to have.
Old 05-18-15, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I see the whackos in Waco are at it again.
Old 05-18-15, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11976 Post(s)
Liked 6,667 Times in 3,489 Posts
That might just be how they spell it there.

I had a Sequoia for a little bit. Last sloped top tube I'll ever own. I looked like a big doofas on that bike.

I'm having more fun owning and driving this silly sports car than I ever expected to have.
Just don't get carried away.
Old 05-18-15, 06:13 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 4,628 Times in 2,126 Posts

I saw a female kayaker and three guys in a canoe.
Sounds like the beginning of a joke.

It's amazing that you can get 4 people and a kayak in a canoe.

Old 05-18-15, 06:19 AM
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
3000 calories burned less 1000 calories consumed leaves you with a 2000 cal deficit, that's really close to running running your glycogen stores to zero. Puts you on the edge of bonkiness, at least in theory.

Anyway, interesting subject (to me). The big point being a century is not a century. There are a lot of variables that go in to the various calorie burns, factors to do with the athlete, the type of ride, terrain, etc. Haha, you have a lot of time to think on some of these epic endurance rides, I guess. When I got ahead of Steady Steve for a bit yesterday, I spent about an hour musing on the subject of "Is a watt really a watt, as far as metabolic cost goes?" I am increasingly thinking that a climbing watt "costs" more calories than a high cadence watt. But that is another subject entirely.
My intake of calories is around 1850 for a 5 hr ride broken down as follows:

2 large bottles, usually double the mix rate ~ 300 cal
3 Clif bars ~ 750 cal
Hammer Gel flask 5-6 servings ~ 500 cal
2 oatmeal packs for pre-ride breakfast ~ 300 cal
Plus, if its an organized century, I'm grabbing a handful or raisins, nuts and other goodies at the refueling stations while getting water.

My biggest issue on these long, fast rides isn't calorie intake, its usually remembering to drink. The faster the ride, the less inclined I am to find the opportunity to drink. I did a century last year where this happened. Even though I know better it still happens on occasion. I only do 3-4 centuries a year and most are relatively flat making them much easier than your hilly ones. I guess you need something to ponder on as you grind up those long elevations. I bet you aren't calculating calories on the descents.
Old 05-18-15, 06:27 AM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Warning to you guys: don't mess around with Bill. He just droped the hamer on that troll Ti vs. CF thread on only page 2. Ouch, I can still hear the crash it made echoing through the 41. I do like decisive!

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-18-15, 06:27 AM
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Sounds like the beginning of a joke.

It's amazing that you can get 4 people and a kayak in a canoe.

Old 05-18-15, 06:29 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 4,628 Times in 2,126 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
They thank Allez is spelled Alize. No surprise there at all, @<a href="https://www.bikeforums.net/member.php?u=142025" target="_blank">LesterOfPuppets</a>

Old 05-18-15, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Friend at work bought a 'Vette a few years ago (maybe more than that, ima old and time flies). He started doing track days at Summit Point, became an instructor, bought another 'Vette just for track days, and got his racing license.

Careful, it's apparently yet another addiction.

Last edited by Herbie53; 05-18-15 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 06:37 AM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13722 Post(s)
Liked 4,535 Times in 2,511 Posts
I'm not getting another bike, and that kind of sounds like a pain, so probably not.

I could go riding down there, though, and drop some noob cyclists for kicks.
You could meet former Addictionite Soloist Assassin.
Old 05-18-15, 06:45 AM
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by FLvector
My intake of calories is around 1850 for a 5 hr ride broken down as follows:

2 large bottles, usually double the mix rate ~ 300 cal
3 Clif bars ~ 750 cal
Hammer Gel flask 5-6 servings ~ 500 cal
2 oatmeal packs for pre-ride breakfast ~ 300 cal
Plus, if its an organized century, I'm grabbing a handful or raisins, nuts and other goodies at the refueling stations while getting water.

My biggest issue on these long, fast rides isn't calorie intake, its usually remembering to drink. The faster the ride, the less inclined I am to find the opportunity to drink. I did a century last year where this happened. Even though I know better it still happens on occasion. I only do 3-4 centuries a year and most are relatively flat making them much easier than your hilly ones. I guess you need something to ponder on as you grind up those long elevations. I bet you aren't calculating calories on the descents.
Oh, that makes more sense, you left out the 5-6 gels in your previous post.

I wouldn't normally count the pre-ride meal in my calculations (although I can see why you would, I just don't). Excluding that, you're eating 300 cal/hr. @LAJ and I are coming out to 250 cal per hour. So we're all actually saying the same thing.

The short answer probably should just be "eat 250-300 cal/hr, including all calories from food & drink, eat a combo of real food and bike food like gels of Bloks". Which is the maximal calories most people can absorb per hour anyway.
Old 05-18-15, 06:46 AM
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by BillyD
That might just be how they spell it there.

I had a Sequoia for a little bit. Last sloped top tube I'll ever own. I looked like a big doofas on that bike.
It's not about the bike.
Old 05-18-15, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the objective of having a car is drawing attention to oneself and starting conversations with women, this thing (pun intended) absolutely smokes a C6 Corvette.

Old 05-18-15, 07:26 AM
Mostly Harmless

Things are cool.
Old 05-18-15, 08:15 AM
VFL For Life

Do you make pointless trips just to be out driving?
Old 05-18-15, 08:15 AM
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
So, Saturday I went to go on a bicycle cycle ride and as I was waiting on the Garmin to boot up I was going over my bike and noticed the headset was loose. I took it back up to the apartment and tried to adjust it quick (loosen stem tighten cap) which didn't help so I took the fork off and inspected the headset and it all seemed fine. Put it back together and still had some play. So, I took the a bottle cage off of my bike and put it on the new singlespeed I bought my daughter along with some spd pedals I had laying around.

I had planned to do a 25 mile loop, but cut it to 10 since I was still having foot pain in my right foot (inserts did not help I moved the cleats back some yesterday and will see if that helps tonight). I was surprisingly comfortable on the 49cm bike. Granted I ride a 54cm with a 80mm stem with a lot of drop so a 49cm with a 100mm stem with a more upright bar position isn't too much of a change.

I actually got some 2015 pr's on the singlespeed so maybe there is something to that... Or maybe the wind was in my favor...

Oh, back to the headset issue. I took it to the shop yesterday since I didn't feel like figuring it out and I was hoping they would sell me a new headset since mine was on the cheap side and had 4k miles on it anyway. Turns out I must have lost a spacer the last time I serviced it since all they did was add another spacer, so, I spent $15 to put in something I have laying around at home. I'll probably end up replacing the replacement anyway so all the spacers match again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.