Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Please, use lights.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Please, use lights.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by HazardBiker
Agreed.

Being on a budget I got creative.

For the front I found a very bright LED flashlight powered by 3 'D' cells. It has a pretty quick strobe mode which I always use. At night I can see it reflecting off street signs a good 1/4 mile in front of me. I used hose clamps to mount it to my handle bars.

For the rear, it's DIY. I have an electronics background and re-purposed an old LED based art project to make a light bar. It has changing flash patterns in multiple colors. It's like a miniature version of an emergency vehicle's light bar. I've had several people pull up next to me at stops and ask where I got it and/or mentioned how visible I am. I've also gotten quite a few compliments from police officers when I'm having talks with them. I am in the process of designing a more refined version with an eye towards commercializing it.

Brian
One of my customers picked up a great LED flashlight at Lowe's, he got several of them for under $10 apiece. Uses them on a couple of bikes with front racks, kind of old-time randonneur style. They make very effective headlights.
Old 08-04-18, 05:24 AM

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When my wife and I purchased bikes a couple of years ago, I was looking at some rear flashing lights. My wife mentioned ones for the front as well, so we purchased both front and rear. I don’t ride at night, but if I’m on the road (vs. trail) I always run with them flashing. It’s amazing how many times a car has been approaching an intersection where I have the right of way and stopped......twice. It seemed they were just going to quickly pause at the stop sign, but then noticed my irritating light and realized I was there. I’m glad she recommended the front light. I’m a firm believer it has saved me a serious injury, or worse.