Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ten biggest fitness myths

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ten biggest fitness myths

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish #4 would die. Too bad there's a billion dollar industry behind it to sell us stuff we don't need with no actual scientific evidence to support their claims.

I loved the forum posts on the tri sites I used to frequent: "I cramped in my sprint, how many salt tablets should I be taking?". None, you need to not extend yourself beyond the limits of your current fitness, i.e. you need to train more.
Old 12-14-11, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Lemond Croix DeFer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not see anything about chocolate NOT being good for you.. GREAT
Old 12-14-11, 01:34 PM
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
These kinds of lists are rubbish. What next, a Cosmo top 10? ffs
Old 12-14-11, 01:46 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
https://www.outsideonline.com/fitness...port-2012.html

Myth #1: Stretching prevents injuries and improves performance.
Myth #2: Running barefoot is better for the body.
Myth #3: You need to focus on your core to become a better athlete.
Myth #4: Guzzling water and electrolytes before a race prevents cramps.
Myth #5: Popping ibuprofen before a hard workout prevents sore muscles afterward.
Myth #6: Dehydration hurts race performance.
Myth #7: Ice baths speed recovery.
Myth #8: Long and slow is the best way to burn calories.
Myth #9: Fructose is a performance killer.
Myth #10: Supplements take performance to the next level.

Up for Debate: Massage boosts recovery after a tough workout.
Up for Debate: Surgery is the best remedy for an ACL tear.
Up for Debate: Cortisone shots speed healing after an injury.
The Florida State University "study" referenced in Myth #1 is bunk because it only studied 10 people (not statistically significant) without a control group--talk about amateur hour--it's like flipping a coin "heads" twice and thinking you have spotted a trend.

I didn't bother reading the rest of the articles mainly because I didn't care enough.

Myth #11: Reading Outside and believing it will improve your fitness outdoors.
Old 12-14-11, 01:49 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for posting this gteinb, good start for the winter months ahead.
Old 12-14-11, 01:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badhat
people misunderstand the benefits of LSD

its true that there are interval regimens that have similar or even greater benefits to doing LSD during base, but theyre typically a lot more stressful on the body.

done properly, vo2 max intervals are a once or twice a week routine, and they burn you out for a day or two after.

LSD on the other hand, doesnt have the same sort of cumulative fatigue problems and allows you to make cardiovascular progress in the off season without taxing you to the point of burnout.

LSD does have some interesting side effects, though

Old 12-14-11, 02:01 PM

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Core training is extremely misunderstood:
Training the core does not mean sit-ups and crunches; the core consists of all the muscle that move or hold stable the spine. The spine moves in many ways that aren’t flexing along the sagittal plane. In fact, if flexing the abdominal muscles is the only kind of core training you do, you are likely cause problems with muscular imbalances.

The core muscles are what links our upper and lower body. So any movement where the upper and lower body is moved simultaneously or where one is the anchor point while the other moves will use and train the core. It isn’t necessary to isolate the core muscles while training them.

In cycling the core helps link the handlebars to the pedals, particularly while you are out of the saddle. The specific muscles used, and the strength required for normal road cycling conditions will be adequately trained by cycling. It is the abnormal cycling conditions; the panic stops, unexpected line corrections, the crash landing where having trained the core in ways that can’t be done by road cycling will improve performance and prevent injuries.

Last edited by Debusama; 12-14-11 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 02:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=DXchulo;13600938]I take it I'm not the only one who gets free Outside magazines for some unknown reason?

I think that was a constellation prize at some point for buying more that a certain amount from either REI, Pricepoint, or Jenson (can't remember which). I got it to.
Old 12-14-11, 02:08 PM
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
The Florida State University "study" referenced in Myth #1 is bunk because it only studied 10 people (not statistically significant) without a control group--talk about amateur hour--it's like flipping a coin "heads" twice and thinking you have spotted a trend.
The other problem with "Myth #1" is that it states "static stretching" but implies that all forms of stretching are the same - bad. Very misleading.

Research does show that Static stretching is not that great, but that Active Isolated stretching can have substantial benefit. There are different forms of stretching and some are much better than others. But of course, when they were compiling there list they forgot to mention that...
Old 12-14-11, 02:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RUOkie
The article about barefoot running is also what most proponents of the barefoot technique proport. It is not a cure all, but does lead to a decrease in certain types of running injuries (in exchange for increasing certain others)
Agree 100%! I've been running barefoot (Vibram 5 fingers) on and off for 3 years now and it's very "interesting"...

Unlike normal running shoes you feel everything... and I mean EVERYTHING... which in itself has a huge impact on your form. If you heel strike and have bad form, running barefoot will either straighten your ass our right away or doom everything from your heels to lower back with throbbing pain. I can speak from experience and say that after hundreds of miles barefoot and cross training barefoot I've noticed huge increases in ankle/knee/hip flexibility/stability/strength. Has helped my pedaling technique as well. It's not a cure all though as RUOike said.
Old 12-14-11, 02:15 PM
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First, it's "Outside Online" an oxymoron?

Second, while massage itself may not drastically aid recovery I can certainly tell a difference in performance between days where I did or did not massage my legs after the previous ride.
Old 12-14-11, 02:21 PM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
[QUOTE=Debusama;13601318]
Originally Posted by DXchulo
I take it I'm not the only one who gets free Outside magazines for some unknown reason?

I think that was a constellation prize at some point for buying more that a certain amount from either REI, Pricepoint, or Jenson (can't remember which). I got it to.

Wut?

This is what you see when tripping on LSD
Old 12-14-11, 02:31 PM
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
They forgot one.

Myth numero 11: Readers should take us seriously.

That's something that I could agree with.

#1. I have "never" seen Phelps and Bolt stretch before the race
#2.That's why some people never run marathons barefoot, or do they and did some actually win?
#3 No man. You just have to be a better athlete. Forget about other things that play a role.
#4 H2O is overrated. You get all the water through skin absorption. There is water in the air my friend.
#5 No comment
#6 Dehydration is actually good for you. Don't worry. You'll just lose all sense of realty just like us who wrote these words of wisdom
#7 Combination of hot and cold does not cause reaction. Yep, yep, yep.
#8 Short and fast is a way to go. I can sprint at 30+ mph for 18 seconds. (Rocky theme playing)
#9 No comment
#10 No comment
Old 12-14-11, 02:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=tagaproject6;13601365]
Originally Posted by Debusama

Wut?

This is what you see when tripping on LSD
The one benefit of being a horrible speller is the amusing results I often get from auto-correct software.
Old 12-14-11, 03:03 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the biggest myth is that Ice Cream IS NOT better than cycling...
Old 12-14-11, 03:04 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I disagree with #3 - and as stated above, the article does not really speak to the title.

Contrary to the article's premise - abs are not your core. They're just a small part of it.

A strong core (as developed with a mix of exercises, but most particularly squats and deadlifts) will help almost any physical endeavor.

There's an enormous body of research to bear this out.

I disagree with #6 - but again, the article doesn't speak to the title.

I agree that the "drink as much as you can" advice is nonsense, and agree with the article's advice that you should drink when thirsty. There's nothing wrong with taking a few slugs before you're thirsty, but if you're forcing it down, that could do more harm than good.

However, from extensive personal experience in (in non-cycling activities) I believe that a dehydrated body will not perform as well as a properly hydrated one.

Hydrate properly. Don't over-do it, and more important, don't under-do it.
Old 12-14-11, 03:06 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DGlenday
I disagree with #3 - and as stated above, the article does not really speak to the title.

Contrary to the article's premise - abs are not your core. They're just a small part of it.

A strong core (as developed with a mix of exercises, but most particularly squats and deadlifts) will help almost any physical endeavor.

There's an enormous body of research to bear this out.

I disagree with #6 - but again, the article doesn't speak to the title.

I agree that the "drink as much as you can" advice is nonsense, and agree with the article's advice that you should drink when thirsty. There's nothing wrong with taking a few slugs before you're thirsty, but if you're forcing it down, that could do more harm than good.

However, from extensive personal experience in (in non-cycling activities) I believe that a dehydrated body will not perform as well as a properly hydrated one.

Hydrate properly. Don't over-do it, and more important, don't under-do it.
can i hydrate safely with ice cream, or do are toxic chemicals released during the melting phase?
Old 12-14-11, 03:12 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Debusama
Core training is extremely misunderstood:
Training the core does not mean sit-ups and crunches; the core consists of all the muscle that move or hold stable the spine. The spine moves in many ways that aren’t flexing along the sagittal plane. In fact, if flexing the abdominal muscles is the only kind of core training you do, you are likely cause problems with muscular imbalances.

The core muscles are what links our upper and lower body. So any movement where the upper and lower body is moved simultaneously or where one is the anchor point while the other moves will use and train the core. It isn’t necessary to isolate the core muscles while training them.

In cycling the core helps link the handlebars to the pedals, particularly while you are out of the saddle. The specific muscles used, and the strength required for normal road cycling conditions will be adequately trained by cycling. It is the abnormal cycling conditions; the panic stops, unexpected line corrections, the crash landing where having trained the core in ways that can’t be done by road cycling will improve performance and prevent injuries.

QFT!

Originally Posted by snow blind
Agree 100%! I've been running barefoot (Vibram 5 fingers) on and off for 3 years now and it's very "interesting"...

Unlike normal running shoes you feel everything... and I mean EVERYTHING... which in itself has a huge impact on your form. If you heel strike and have bad form, running barefoot will either straighten your ass our right away or doom everything from your heels to lower back with throbbing pain. I can speak from experience and say that after hundreds of miles barefoot and cross training barefoot I've noticed huge increases in ankle/knee/hip flexibility/stability/strength. Has helped my pedaling technique as well. It's not a cure all though as RUOike said.
That's interesting.

Even further off topic and only loosely related: A business colleague of mine used to go to a driving range in Florida. There was a guy who seemed to be a regular at the range, who used to spend hours driving the ball 300 yards, as straight as an arrow, with every hit. And he practiced barefoot. My colleague would occasionally exchange a nod, a "how-ya-doin'" or a bit of small talk with him, but that was all. A few years later, that barefoot golfer was no. 2 on the USPGA earnings ranking. (David Duval).
Old 12-14-11, 03:22 PM
Scarlet Knight

Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20
can i hydrate safely with ice cream, or do are toxic chemicals released during the melting phase?
You need to have a malt or milkshake to adequately hydrate.
Old 12-14-11, 03:42 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to try barefoot cycling.
Old 12-14-11, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Fedor
I'm going to try barefoot cycling.
I've done that. If you happen to ride barefoot on a fixie with no chaingaurd, be very careful. I've done that and few times and I still have my toes, but I'm just sayin'...bad things could happen.
Old 12-14-11, 04:18 PM
y u dont like me?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dws5b
I like #3. No more crunches.
lol
Old 12-14-11, 04:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My gf says that my massage always boosts her recovery regardless of the kind of workout...
Old 12-14-11, 05:31 PM
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
#2 should be lifting weights will make you bulky and muscle-bound. Women particularly believe this crap.
To be fair, I have some female clients (and a girlfriend) who can gain what looks like really significant muscle mass on their upper bodies. Some women can gain a little mass, and sticks out on the shoulders and upper backs of relatively lean women.

I agree it won't make you muscle-bound. What I'm really talking about is self-perception.
Old 12-14-11, 05:31 PM
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bisiklet
My gf says that my massage always boosts her recovery regardless of the kind of workout...
You know what they say..."Back rubs in the front room turn into front rubs in the back room."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.