Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You don’t have to get slower because you get older

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

You don’t have to get slower because you get older

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-23, 09:30 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 5,749 Times in 2,961 Posts
In my younger years I would attack small punchy climbs by getting out of the saddle and hammering. Yes it’s the old, the older I get the better I was. But this summer (69 next month) I have been focusing on attacking those same climbs that had me cowed three years ago after a hiatus from road biking (was exclusively MTB).

I can now attack the same climbs fairly well, not like I used to of course, and have managed several PRs but several fastest for my age group 65-69. It’s good to know at an older age, one can still focus on a weakness and through practice, see real results. Yeah my times will diminish with age but am enjoying it while they last.

Old 11-24-23, 08:46 AM
^ * * ^ * * ^

Bikes: 1977 Tom Kellogg Nr. 27 - 1984 Bob Jackson - 1987 Alpineer - 1999 Bianchi - 2002 LeMond Buenos Aries- 2007 Specialized Tarmac Pro - 2017 Mongoose Argus Comp FatBike - 2024 Gravity 29er 1-Speed Monstercross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 94 Posts
Congratulations to all, because most of us 60/70/80 year olds here on this forum are in the top 5% (top 1% ???) for fitness whether we're slower or faster than years past compared to similar age groups in the general population. My wife and I live in a 55+ community and I can attest to the fact that the VAST majority in our age groups are hobbling around in varying degrees of poor health and would struggle to ride a non-eBike 2 or 3 miles. Unfortunately, WE are viewed as the misfits in today's society

I just turned 66 and earlier this year made some wholesale changes in what and how I eat that have placed my metabolic health & fitness levels back to what it was in my 30s. It's been incredible and I never, ever thought I would be riding at this level in my mid-60s. It's true: You don't have to get slower! Fast is fun.
Old 11-24-23, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 1,715 Posts
Originally Posted by cegerer
Congratulations to all, because most of us 60/70/80 year olds here on this forum are in the top 5% (top 1% ???) for fitness whether we're slower or faster than years past compared to similar age groups in the general population.
My GP (now retired) used to tell me that I was fitter than 99.999% of people my age.

I always thought, why add the "my age" part? But I'll take it.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-25-23, 12:54 AM
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I was faster in my 40s, but at 65 I've resolved to to get close to my prior fitness.

90 minutes up Mt. Hamilton Road (18.3 miles, 3745 ft) is my goal, which I could do in my 40s without too much suffering.

Best time recently was 111 minutes, so I'm getting closer. But now the road's washed out and being repaired. Grr.
There’s alway Mt. Tam.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-27-23, 12:36 PM
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 161 Posts
The difference between mid 20's and early 40's for me is not that great. I was making almost 5 w/kg at 28, and at 41 my raw power is only a few watts lower and weight is a few kilos higher. I truly think I'll actually break the 5 w/kg barrier in my early 40's now that I'm training consistently again.

FWIW, a family member is in his mid-late 50's and still winning P12 races. He said his FTP is down less than 10% from his best ever...
Likes For procrit:
Old 12-06-23, 12:55 PM
hard to kill

Bikes: several. all favorites

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
Consider yourself damn lucky if all you have to worry about as you get older is whether or not you got slower on your daily bike ride.
Well said - touché. I certainly consider myself damn lucky.

I'm 63 and never really stopped cycling after restarting at 27, and somewhere in there I traveled extensively over twenty years but kept fitness no matter where I was so I could get back on the bike or skis or white water or whatever but always the bike.

I didn't waste my youth and over time beat the crap out of myself. Don't get me wrong, it was fun being the younger me, stronger and faster and riding four hundred miles a week and basically being competitive with everyone in front of me.

So now I'm slower and not worried but instead fortunate that I can still do it. It's saved my life and nearly killed me and I've loved every minute.

I'm still the same boy I used to be, but slower to be sure.
Likes For marko_1111:
Old 12-08-23, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
My GP (now retired) used to tell me that I was fitter than 99.999% of people my age.

I always thought, why add the "my age" part? But I'll take it.
I learned years ago that all medicos exaggerate, perhaps part of their service to make their patients feel better about themselves.

For your Doctor to be correct, he/she/them/they/it must have a practice to includes 1 million patients. Of course, the claim may be based on the average data of the hospital, the city… who knows. 😉
Congratulations on being one in a million good health-wise , nevertheless. 👍
Old 12-08-23, 12:36 PM

The only way, the title would be true if the person in younger days was relatively sedentary or delusional in the seventies and beyond.

I have no unrealistic goals or expectations now that I’m close to 70. I do think that I do well for my age (by my standards) - this assessment seems valid when I see some of my friends who have gradually become more sedentary.
But I was definitely in better physical shape in my 20s through 50s when I was swimming about a couple of miles at least on alternate days and bicycling every day (just the commute was 36 miles)… not counting tennis and other things on weekends.
Old 12-08-23, 03:23 PM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 1,516 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
For your Doctor to be correct, he/she/them/they/it must have a practice to includes 1 million patients.
Judging by how far out appointments were available for my previously-assigned primary care physician, he probably does have a million patients.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-08-23, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Judging by how far out appointments were available for my previously-assigned primary care physician, he probably does have a million patients.
🤪
Seems that way everywhere these days.
In our case, if we need to see someone in a hurry, the best they tend to offer is a nurse who may not have enough experience to always diagnose correctly.
For about 2 decades I have stopped using the euphemism “health-care” and call it for what it is: medical business.
Not that it matters to them or anyone else.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-09-23, 02:35 PM
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I see what you mean now. Yes it is always inspirational to see older guys still maintaining a high level of fitness. When I was still in my 20s I remember being impressed by an older ski instructor, who was 49 at the time. I remember thinking that I would be more than happy to be that fit and strong at 49. I’d seen so many other guys let themselves go by that age, so it was great to see that it wasn’t inevitable. It gave me hope that I could stay fit for longer than most people did at the time.

This was about 30 years ago, so now here I am in my mid 50s and I’m still going strong. I can ride and ski pretty much like I could in my 20s. In some ways I actually feel stronger now. I eat better and I train smarter. I wonder if that ski instructor is still going? He must be around 80 now and I see quite a few guys in that age group on the slopes.
I have ‘friends’ on Strava which are in their 40s and it has been very rewarding to hear them say they hope to be as fit as I am when they are my age. Never thought of myself as any kind of roll model. But then there are plenty for more fit and strong than me, but I’m not letting them know that.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-15-23, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by procrit
The difference between mid 20's and early 40's for me is not that great. I was making almost 5 w/kg at 28, and at 41 my raw power is only a few watts lower and weight is a few kilos higher. I truly think I'll actually break the 5 w/kg barrier in my early 40's now that I'm training consistently again.

FWIW, a family member is in his mid-late 50's and still winning P12 races. He said his FTP is down less than 10% from his best ever...
People who remain active do quite well until they are in their 50s but around 60 things may start changing slowly.
The key to staying in good condition is to continue being active even if your power is gradually decreasing, which happens.

Last edited by Alan K; 01-21-24 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-15-23, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3253 Post(s)
Liked 2,543 Times in 1,522 Posts
I think a lot of riders drop the s and get lower as they get older. They go out a get a recumbent bike.