Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

One Water Bottle or Two?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

One Water Bottle or Two?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 11:21 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
That's a myth.

That is somewhat true, but it's really more about humidity than temperature.

It's a good idea remember to pay attention to your hydration, but not to just automatically always drink the same volume.
No, actually it's not a myth.
Old 01-18-10, 11:22 AM
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you are right about it not being a myth. It's total nonsense.
Old 01-18-10, 11:28 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hipcheck5
No, actually it's not a myth.
You apparently have no idea how the body's temperature regulation works. People who overdress in the winter may sweat more under their heavy clothes but if the body is colder it doesn't need to sweat as much. Also many places tend to be humid in the summer and drier in the winter, and it is humidity that affects whether or not you notice the sweat. When it's hot and sticky you know you ate sweating because it doesn't evaporate as well.
Old 01-18-10, 11:31 AM
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I eat sweat, therefore need no bottles.
Old 01-18-10, 11:32 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12860 Post(s)
Liked 7,775 Times in 4,124 Posts
Indeed. On a typical summer day - Phoenix, AZ 110 degrees you only notice sweat when you're stopped at a light or going up a steep hill. Rocky Mount, NC 97 degrees you're dripping sweat non-stop.
Old 01-18-10, 11:32 AM
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
all he has to do is try my experiment once and that nonsense will be dispelled rather quickly.

I can put out a fair amount of watts without a single fan on me when the room is 48. The same watts at 75 ambient temperature would have me sweating like a damn soaker-hose.
Old 01-18-10, 11:35 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
You apparently have no idea how the body's temperature regulation works. People who overdress in the winter may sweat more under their heavy clothes but if the body is colder it doesn't need to sweat as much. Also many places tend to be humid in the summer and drier in the winter, and it is humidity that affects whether or not you notice the sweat. When it's hot and sticky you know you ate sweating because it doesn't evaporate as well.
I do have an idea and I have done research on sweat rates in cold weather vs. warm weather. I suggest you take some time to do so as well.
Old 01-18-10, 11:36 AM
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I do have an idea and I have done research on sweat rates in cold weather vs. warm weather. I suggest you take some time to do so as well.
baloney
Old 01-18-10, 11:58 AM

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I rode 40 miles in the rain over the weekend and didn't bring a bottle at all. I was well hydrated beforehand and had a litre of mineral water when I got home.
100 mile ride through mostly populated areas, I'll bring one 1-litre bottle, refill 2 or 3 times.
50 mile ride in summer through the desert, I'll bring one 1-litre bottle liquid and a frozen 2-litre bottle.
How do you fit a 2-litre bottle in your cage?
Old 01-18-10, 12:15 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I bring two bottles on almost all rides, regardless of what "Dog in A Hat" Joe Parkin's buddy told him. His teammate said to him "Why 2 bottles? We can always stop somewhere to get a drink. 2 bottles is for Americans." I paraphrase but you get the gist.

I've gone for 4-5 hour rides without taking a sip. I've also finished off 6+ bottles on the same route on a different day. I've felt idiotic at the end of a 5 hour ride without taking a sip but I get appropriately thirsty afterwards (and I understand the thirst reaction lags behind actual need).

In hot weather I often start 1 hour crits with 3 bottles (1 liquid in a cage, 1 frozen in a cage, 1 frozen in my pocket) and chug most of a 4th bottle just before the start. I rarely finish with any fluids left, and a lot of the time I find myself metering water for the last 4-5 laps.

cdr
Old 01-18-10, 12:36 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Show your research.

Remove the effect of clothes and the body will not need to sweat as much to maintain it's temperature. It's simple thermodynamics.

Bottom line is some people overdress in the cold and that traps the heat in.

Last edited by umd; 01-18-10 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-18-10, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
usually intend on taking 2 on every ride but can usually only find 1 so just go with it
Old 01-18-10, 12:42 PM
B+ roadie I guess?

Bikes: 2013 BMC GranFondo GF01 Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually take only 1 on my normal group rides, especially given that the rides are fairly relaxed as well as the weather lately. I only take two whenever I know that either the weather will be very warm (i.e., summer), or if the ride I am going on is 1. (new to me + long... i.e., over 50mi) 2. Long in general (over 50mi) 3. Involves lots of climbing 4. Generally anything that seems that it will be very strenuous.
Old 01-18-10, 12:52 PM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottom line is you have to figure out what works for you. Everyone deals with heat differently so it is pretty silly to try to come up with a general rule. I am a very heavy sweater and in the summer when the RH is 80% I can lose 5lbs on a 1.5hr ride that means 2 bottles for anything over an hour ride. In the winter it is not even close when the RH is <60% I will lose <2lbs so 1 bottle is sufficient. That is what works for me. I have come up short a couple of times and believe me I much rather carry extra water than deal with dehydration.

2013 Noah RS
Old 01-18-10, 01:21 PM
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Don't make me describe the color of my pee.
Old 01-18-10, 01:22 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Show your research.

Remove the effect of clothes and the body will not need to sweat as much to maintain it's temperature. It's simple thermodynamics.

Bottom line is some people overdress in the cold and that traps the heat in.
I get it you are not arguing whether you need to drink when it's cold, but about how you sweat. It's too bad you had to go off on a tangent to start an argument rather then stick to what was being discussed.
Old 01-18-10, 01:34 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I get it you are not arguing whether you need to drink when it's cold, but about how you sweat. It's too bad you had to go off on a tangent to start an argument rather then stick to what was being discussed.

i didn't go off on a tangent or start an argument, I corrected false information. I responded to a post that said you sweat more when it is cold. That is a myth. I never said not to drink, I said specifically that you still need to pay attention to your hydration. I agree that hydration is often overlooked and underdone in the cold but there is nothing about cold weather that makes someone sweat more than hot weather except for potentially how they dress. Bottom line, keep hydrated and dress appropriately.
Old 01-18-10, 01:39 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And just in case it isn't clear, sweat more = drink more.
Old 01-18-10, 01:44 PM
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
0-1 in the winter
1-2 in the spring & fall
2-4 in the summer
Old 01-18-10, 02:30 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd

i didn't go off on a tangent or start an argument, I corrected false information. I responded to a post that said you sweat more when it is cold. That is a myth. I never said not to drink, I said specifically that you still need to pay attention to your hydration. I agree that hydration is often overlooked and underdone in the cold but there is nothing about cold weather that makes someone sweat more than hot weather except for potentially how they dress. Bottom line, keep hydrated and dress appropriately.
Look at the bold part and then go back and re-read my original post. The tangent obviously came from you either seeing what you wanted to see or you mis-reading what I wrote.
Old 01-18-10, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by TMB
Really?

This is what it comes down to?

Try this, take 2. My guess is you have two cages on the bike. Take 2 bottles. If you don't use one, it's no great big loss to have carried an extra pound of water with you.

If you don't use one, and you've ridden 60 miles - 3 hours or more - then you are an absolute idiot for not having consumed enough water while riding and you will not have replenished the body's water loss.

Of course, it is much easier to come on just ask a question than to apply any degree of common sense.

Rule of Thumb for the future - minimum one bottle of water or fluid per hour.
gotta repeat this one for emphasis
Old 01-18-10, 03:09 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look at the bold part and then go back and re-read my original post. The tangent obviously came from you either seeing what you wanted to see or you mis-reading what I wrote.
Ok, so go back... original post... you said "you are sweating as much, if not more, as in hot weather."

Yep, that's exactly what I thought you said. Are you denying now that you said you sweat more in cold weather than hot weather?

My reply that it's a myth was appropriate, and I stand by it. There is no tangent here, I replied directly to your words. There was no attempt to "start an argument", I simply corrected you.

As far as your conclusion, you said that to "use as much water in the cold as you would in the heat." My response was to pay attention to your hydration but not to automatically drink as much as you would in the heat. Notice I didn't say don't drink in the cold.

If you dress appropriately (not overdressing) in cold weather you will sweat less than in hot weather, and subsequently you won't need to drink as much. Now if you overdress you may end up sweating more, but that's not because of the weather, that's because of your choice of clothes.

Let's do a though exercise to try to get on the same page: If you go ride wearing shorts, a medium weight base layer, and no arm warmers, are you going to sweat more in 50 degree weather or 80 degree weather? 100 degrees? Assume similar humidity.

Now for some anecdotes. I did a race last summer that was stupid hot. It was well over 100F for most of it, and I've seen reports that put the high in the mid 100-teens. I super-hydrated in the morning after I got up, on my way to the race and immediately before the race, about 3 bottles worth. I started with two bottles and took a "feed" of a fresh bottle on each of the 6 ~11 mile laps. So 7 bottles in the 3 hours of the race. Immediately after I found a friend and drank 2 more bottles (of very refreshing icewater). I waited around for about an hour for the results during which I drank another bottle, then went and got a 24oz smoothie and drank another bottle on the way home. If you are keeping score that's like 14 bottles (numbers are approximate) and when I got home I was down something like 8 pounds (!). On the other hand I can go out and ride 100 miles on a cool day (say low 60s) and only drink a bottle over the 5 hours, come home and only be down about a pound.

So seriously, show your research that shows that " you are sweating as much, if not more, as in hot weather." I'm really interested in seeing your evidence that runs contrary to the laws of thermodynamics and any rational thought.

Last edited by umd; 01-18-10 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-18-10, 03:39 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me get this straight, I wrote "...as much, if not more..." and you are now saying "Yep, that's exactly what I thought you said. Are you denying now that you said you sweat more in cold weather than hot weather?" yet you can't understand why I say you are either seeing what you want to see or that you mis-read?

I think it's clear you are simply seeing what you want to see and no matter what I say or post you will find some way to twist it into what you want it to be. The proof is there in black and white for all to see. Therefore it's clearly a waste of my time to discuss this further.
Old 01-18-10, 03:43 PM

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me get this straight, I wrote "...as much, if not more..." and you are now saying "Yep, that's exactly what I thought you said. Are you denying now that you said you sweat more in cold weather than hot weather?" yet you can't understand why I say you are either seeing what you want to see or that you mis-read?

I think it's clear you are simply seeing what you want to see and no matter what I say or post you will find some way to twist it into what you want it to be. The proof is there in black and white for all to see. Therefore it's clearly a waste of my time to discuss this further.
This made no sense.

And it was a waste of time to discuss it further a while ago. But it was fun to read.
Old 01-18-10, 03:59 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

you said that in cold weather you sweat as much, if not more, as in hot weather, right?

Where is the misread? You say sweat in cold >= sweat in hot, and I say sweat in cold < sweat in hot.

I understand exactly what you are saying, I'm just saying you are wrong.

The only way you could possibly sweat as much or more in the cold as in the hot is if you you are wearing too much.

Last edited by umd; 01-18-10 at 04:04 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.