Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Expensive Roof Rack

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Expensive Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 02:11 PM
Co-Mo mojo

Bikes: 06/07 Co-Mo Speedster, Cannondale Synapse, SR 800, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=djembob02]I also had this issue. My total cost was about $200 if I remember correctly to mount our triplet on my Honda CRVQUOTE]

I recall seeing your pictures a few months ago on the earlier thread. As someone adept in welding, my first thought was you could benefit by welding an extension to the fork mount swivel base that would be on top of long steel tube, drill a hole through that extension and through the tube, and put in a pin to keep the fork mount rigid. Your cross brace -- likely necesary for a triple -- probably serves that function to some degree, but I think the pin setup like on the Tandem Topper fork mount swivel would add additional security and take pressure away from the cross brace.

I'd be interested in either a parts list or the tubing dimensions. Can't tell from the photo if you used square tubing for the long tube, or just more of the rectangular tubing used in the fork mount support. Nice all around solution, in any event. I'm interested in this design so that I have a second, inexpensive rack to my current Yakima / Tandem Topper setup to carry two tandems at the same time (with four people in the car, of course). Feel free to either post a reply to the list or off line. Thanks much!
Old 04-11-07, 07:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Expensive Roof Rack

Thanks to those of you like Tandem Geek who shared your condolences - I truly appreciate it. I can't really describe the emotions at the moment you realize your bike has just hit the garage, especially when you waited three months to get the bike.

Someone asked about insurance for the bike. To have the bike separately insured by State Farm was going to cost $1,300 a year, which was not an option.

State Farm told us that the bike would be covered since it was "attached" to the car at the time of impact. I have also been told that if you hit a tree while on a bike, the damage isn't covered. However, if you are hit on the bike by a car, or the bike is hit by a car, you are covered.

Tandem Geek, re: examination of the Head Tube: It appears that the fork took the brunt of the impact. I am going to take the tape off the bars and inspect them as well. We have taken a shop light and inspected the front third of the bike and haven't seen any cracks. However, I am going to look at the seat tubes tonight as the seats were moved by the impact of hitting the ground.

Counselguy
2007 Calfee Tetra Tetra (forkless)
Old 04-12-07, 11:22 AM
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts
My $.02 worth...
1. Yak rack $255 at REI
2. ATOC tandem roof rack https://www.atoc.com/ $210.
Would've liked a receiver rack but wasn't comfortable how much the thing stuck out on the sides - but easier to load fo' sure. We already had some other Yak rack stuff (ski and single bike carriers) so it made sense to just add the tandem rack. But our Honda CRV is as tall as I would want to go for loading purposes.
Old 04-12-07, 11:05 PM
Two at a time is more fun

Bikes: 2006 Burley Tosa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The soultion I used for the "bike on roof rack" was to place a spare pair of mirrored sunglasses on the dash with the mirrors reflecting the bikes back at me. Just a slight glance at the lens and I would see the bikes.