Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wide vs Less Wide Tires, Another View

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wide vs Less Wide Tires, Another View

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-17, 09:03 AM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Glass/clear plastic roller with a camera inside. The equation for area of an ecclipse is very simple...

But you really dont have to mess around with measuring at speed. This stuff has been figured out already...you can make a simple adjustment for the centripedal force of the tire mass at speed without have to measure everything at speed. There's no need to reinvent the wheel.....er..tire here.
I was ignoring the centripedal force figuring v^2/r was going to be the same for all tires at the same speed and mass.
Where the resistance to deformation in that 1ms will not be the same in all tires. I don't think it is measured anywhere. We can infer it from Crr. But the comment was about contact patch.

Here is a simpler statement.
If in 1ms tire A resists full (that same as at rest) deformation more than tire B the contact patches will be different sizes at the same width and PSI.
Old 09-14-17, 09:12 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
That was all I was saying.
But how would you measure or calculate that. From the post above we have about 1ms at 30mph for it to deform.

It is more a shock absorber than a spring.
pneumatic tire = spring close enough for this question. Calculating is complicated a little by the fact that force hence acceleration depends on the displacement, so it's a differential equation BUT sniff test-wise you can get the frequency of a full cycle f = (1/2pi) * sqroot(k/m). Need to find the hookes law constant for the inflated tire somewhere.

BTW I'd assume that the contact area is proportional to the vertical displacement
Old 09-14-17, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Glass/clear plastic roller with a camera inside. ...
That would work. Then we are back to the roller diameter and smooth surface, but it would prove at least one point about contact patch.

Who's going to build it? It would have to be smooth enough we wouldn't see the patch size vary. Ground glass might work as you would see the shadow.

To calculate it start with something like HYSTERETIC EFFECTS IN DYNAMIC HERTZ TYPE CONTACT OF RUBBER BALLS.
by Florina Ciornei.

In the opening paragraph she says:

It is known that mechanical characteristic of
rubber is not linear [1, 2], but, in order to take into
account the damping, an approximation using a linear
viscoelastic model is of common use [3].
The aim of this paper is to prove that, from the
damping perspective, rubber may be modelled by a
linear viscoelastic model.

See table in picture. She is testing rubber balls between .17 Hertz and 1.4Hertz. This tire thing is 1,000Hz (1ms) - one cycle.
I wouldn't know where to start with that data.
We need a table of moving tire one vs moving tire 2 in 1ms.
Capture.jpg
Old 09-14-17, 09:26 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,502 Times in 1,451 Posts
@Scarbo what is the pavement quality in your area?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-14-17, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by wphamilton
pneumatic tire = spring close enough for this question. Calculating is complicated a little by the fact that force hence acceleration depends on the displacement, so it's a differential equation BUT sniff test-wise you can get the frequency of a full cycle f = (1/2pi) * sqroot(k/m). Need to find the hookes law constant for the inflated tire somewhere.

BTW I'd assume that the contact area is proportional to the vertical displacement
The pneumatic part is a spring for this. And yes to your assumption.

I calculated - non-differential equation from the start of the deformation to the end of cycle time as being 1ms. That was algebra and arithmetic. The deformation part is actually .5ms as the rubber contacts the road until it is fully deformed. that is not much time to get full drop.

Do you, @wphamilton, think in .5ms all tires deform (drop) as much as they would at rest?

If not, do you agree the contact area's will be different?
Old 09-14-17, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by noglider
That's a reasonable position but my intuition tells me that the happy medium may prove to be 28mm. Road racers do need low aero drag and minimum weight, so they don't want their tires to be too big or heavy, but the suspension benefit of going up to 28mm may prove to justify the increases in aero drag and weight. Time may tell.
I have and have used, and son races with from 22-28s.
The 22s are the fastest on the right road and because they are on a TT setup.

These 27.5s are light 300g. They are not as fast as the 25.5 silks @ 230g on pavement. They are used for dirt/gravel.

TarmacClearance.jpg
Old 09-14-17, 09:39 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,502 Times in 1,451 Posts
Is that a 1mm clearance between tire and seat tube?!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-14-17, 10:06 AM

The pneumatic part is a spring for this. And yes to your assumption.

I calculated - non-differential equation from the start of the deformation to the end of cycle time as being 1ms. That was algebra and arithmetic. The deformation part is actually .5ms as the rubber contacts the road until it is fully deformed. that is not much time to get full drop.

Do you, @wphamilton, think in .5ms all tires deform (drop) as much as they would at rest?

If not, do you agree the contact area's will be different?
I'd estimate the time the contact patch is on the ground as about .01 second, and the time for the bike tire to deform as something less than that.
Old 09-14-17, 10:32 AM

Is that a 1mm clearance between tire and seat tube?!
Didn't measure, but that was a new 2016 Tarmac. I just wanted to show with my arm waving and all I have some experience with the different sizes. I/we choose the tire based on the event.
Old 09-14-17, 10:41 AM

I'd estimate the time the contact patch is on the ground as about .01 second, and the time for the bike tire to deform as something less than that.
.01 sec is <2mph. It is .0005 seconds to total drop at 30mph. You would need the tire to totally deform in that time.
Do you think it can totally deform/drop the same amount as at rest in .0005 sec?

In English the contact patch length is about .6in. At 30mph the tire moves 528in/sec so that .6 inch is in contact with the road .6/528 sec or .0011 sec. As it much drop in the first half of that time, it takes .00057 sec to drop. The question is can it fully drop in that time.

You didn't ask for numbers, @Brian Ratliff did. My math may be wrong, but we don't have to estimate much.
I calculated it here https://www.bikeforums.net/19861110-post199.html

Last edited by Doge; 09-14-17 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-14-17, 11:29 AM

.01 sec is <2mph. It is .0005 seconds to total drop at 30mph. You would need the tire to totally deform in that time.
Do you think it can totally deform/drop the same amount as at rest in .0005 sec?

In English the contact patch length is about .6in. At 30mph the tire moves 528in/sec so that .6 inch is in contact with the road .6/528 sec or .0011 sec. As it much drop in the first half of that time, it takes .00057 sec to drop. The question is can it fully drop in that time.

You didn't ask for numbers, @Brian Ratliff did. My math may be wrong, but we don't have to estimate much.
I calculated it here https://www.bikeforums.net/19861110-post199.html
I used 3 inches for length, five times your estimation, per FLO Cyling - The Contact Patch and 20 mph, and the time it takes for the tire at front of the contact patch to rotate to the rear is about .01 second.

The frequency of the full harmonic of a bike tire which deflects 15% from a load of 30 pounds, using the hookes law formula, is about 7.7/sec, or .13 seconds for the full cycle. For the first 15% of the compression part, it would be much much less than .01 second. That would be the time it takes to compress the tire that far.
Old 09-14-17, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
Glass/clear plastic roller with a camera inside. ...
That would work. Then we are back to the roller diameter and smooth surface, but it would prove at least one point about contact patch.
An easier idea, from some paper that I happened across just now, is sticking an accelerometer to the sidewall. They got a big spike in acceleration when the sidewall bulged, and along with the speed calculated the length of the bulge.

However, the data is so noisy that it was impossible to detect the effect that you're looking for.
Old 09-14-17, 12:17 PM

I used 3 inches for length, five times your estimation, per FLO Cyling - The Contact Patch and 20 mph, and the time it takes for the tire at front of the contact patch to rotate to the rear is about .01 second.

The frequency of the full harmonic of a bike tire which deflects 15% from a load of 30 pounds, using the hookes law formula, is about 7.7/sec, or .13 seconds for the full cycle. For the first 15% of the compression part, it would be much much less than .01 second. That would be the time it takes to compress the tire that far.
Our math agrees. Except the time to drop is half the time it is in contact. I have under .005 sec in your parameters for full drop.
Parameters we don't agree on. 20mph vs 30mph is simple enough. 3 in long contact patch?
I was using 100PSI with 100lbs on the tire for a 1"sq contact patch. Using that if it were 3" long it would be .1 wide to get that 1"sq area ~30:1, so I don't like your contact shape, but that also means more drop, more tire deformation, just over more time.

I just tried measuring this with both brakes on and my own puddle of water on the garage floor and the foot print was way bigger than the contact patch - in width. A assume that capillary action of the water made this not work. I don't have an ink pad, but I assume that would be better. But to be correct the patch should have an area that lines up with the PSI I think. Meaning a 100PSI with 100lbs should get a 1sq in patch.

I'll agree the real patch is more elliptical than my near circle. My .6 and your 3, my 30mph and your 20mph - and the halving of the time explains the difference in the time.

Of course the more you pump the tire, the smaller that patch gets and the less it deflects, even though doing it more quickly. I was trying to be simple using a 1sq area patch.

Here is the net:
I am saying a tire that takes 20W to roll (as tested) will not obey Hooke's law (non-linear elasticity) the same as one that takes 10W to roll when the time for deformation takes milliseconds.

I think you are disagreeing with that.

Net II:
It is hard to measure.
It is hard to calculate.

I wonder if you could take a 100PSI ire and with a maching hit it on top with 100lbs between 100Hz (your number) and 1000Hz and use a high speed camera see if the tire keeps up.
Would the tire "drop"/deform fully?
Would it vary from tire to tire?
As I said, hard to measure.

Last edited by Doge; 09-14-17 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Using that if it were 3" long it would be .1 wide
The area of an ellipse is pi*a*b, where a and b are the semi-major axes. If the length is 3, one of the semi-major axes is 3/2, or 1.5, so:

1 = pi*1.5*b

b = 1/(pi*1.5) = .2122

The width is 2*b, so .4244 inches.
Old 09-14-17, 12:34 PM

Our math agrees. Except the time to drop is half the time it is in contact. I have under .005 sec in your parameters for full drop.
Parameters we don't agree on. 20mph vs 30mph is simple enough. 3 in long contact patch?
I was using 100PSI with 100lbs on the tire for a 1"sq contact patch. Using that if it were 3" long it would be .1 wide to get that 1"sq area ~30:1, so I don't like your contact shape, but that also means more drop, more tire deformation, just over more time.

I just tried measuring this with both brakes on and my own puddle of water on the garage floor and the foot print was way bigger than the contact patch - in width. A assume that capillary action of the water made this not work. I don't have an ink pad, but I assume that would be better. But to be correct the patch should have an area that lines up with the PSI I think. MEaning a 100PSI with 100lbs should get a 1sq in patch.

I'll agree the real patch is more elliptical than my near circle. My .6 and your 3, my 30mph and your 20mph - and the halving of the time explains the difference in the time.

Of course the more you pump the tire, the smaller that patch gets and the less it deflects, even though doing it more quickly. I was trying to be simple using a 1sq area patch.

Here is the net:
I am saying a tire that takes 20W to roll (as tested) will not obey Hooke's law (non-linear elasticity) the same as one that takes 10W to roll when the time for deformation takes milliseconds.

I think you are disagreeing with that.
Yeh I'd disagree, both will obey Hooke's Law with some minor inelastic stuff added - the deflated tires will have differing constants and are not very elastic. Altogether, I don't think you'll ever be able to measure a difference in contact patch area relative to speed on the road. Nor correlate a Crr difference to a differential in contact area sizes from two tires at precisely the same pressure. Those effects will be way less than the noise IMO, and I also tend to think that neither the length nor area of the contact area can be directly correlated to Crr to begin with.

edit: BTW, measure the rim distance to ground with 10 pound load, 20 pounds, 30 etc and easily determine that the tire does or does not obey Hooke's Law.

Last edited by wphamilton; 09-14-17 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by HTupolev
The area of an ellipse is pi*a*b, where a and b are the semi-major axes. If the length is 3, one of the semi-major axes is 3/2, or 1.5, so:

1 = pi*1.5*b

b = 1/(pi*1.5) = .2122

The width is 2*b, so .4244 inches.
Yup - sorry.
Old 09-14-17, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I also tend to think that neither the length nor area of the contact area can be directly correlated to Crr to begin with.
If other aspects of the setup are allowed to change, definitely not.
Old 09-14-17, 12:44 PM
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
@Scarbo what is the pavement quality in your area?

Road surfaces vary greatly. Some of the roads I ride on are glassy smooth; others are horrible--rough, with big fissures and potholes. I live relatively close to the Nevada border and I love riding in the Silver State because they seem to have all the money in the world to devote towards maintaining their roadways! If I know I am going to be riding on rougher roads I ride my steel bike that is equipped with 38mm tires.
Old 09-14-17, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Scarbo
Road surfaces vary greatly. Some of the roads I ride on are glassy smooth; others are horrible--rough, with big fissures and potholes. I live relatively close to the Nevada border and I love riding in the Silver State because they seem to have all the money in the world to devote towards maintaining their roadways! If I know I am going to be riding on rougher roads I ride my steel bike that is equipped with 38mm tires.
I have Skate and Nordic skied a few times in Kirkwood.
Old 09-14-17, 04:43 PM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Every-time I've put on new tire(s) of the exact same size and brand (25c 4000gp II) they feel faster and more supple with better handling. This may be real vs. mental given the aging and wear of the rubber which on the old tire is cracking and feels harder.

An well worn tire will also have more rev's per mile resulting in a faster speed readout (if not gps) - about 0.5%
Old 09-14-17, 10:22 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3909 Post(s)
Liked 1,959 Times in 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Every-time I've put on new tire(s) of the exact same size and brand (25c 4000gp II) they feel faster and more supple with better handling. This may be real vs. mental given the aging and wear of the rubber which on the old tire is cracking and feels harder.

An well worn tire will also have more rev's per mile resulting in a faster speed readout (if not gps) - about 0.5%
We hope the OP and arguers are all using GPS for speed. If not, the OP would certainly notice a large speed increase from the 25s. Those 28s are very tall tires.

I've been enjoying 23mm tires on my 23mm (outside) deep rims. They look fast and maybe they are. Certainly doesn't hurt on descents. It occurs to me that perhaps pros are going to 25s to match their 25mm rims. Or 28 for 28 rims if there are such animals.
Old 09-19-17, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
We hope the OP and arguers are all using GPS for speed. If not, the OP would certainly notice a large speed increase from the 25s. Those 28s are very tall tires.

I've been enjoying 23mm tires on my 23mm (outside) deep rims. They look fast and maybe they are. Certainly doesn't hurt on descents. It occurs to me that perhaps pros are going to 25s to match their 25mm rims. Or 28 for 28 rims if there are such animals.
I dunno, my bike computer says I'm going slower with the 28's, having not gotten around to changing the setting yet. About 1/2 mph less than I think I'm going.
Old 09-19-17, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
fastest/lightest 30's and 32's?
Old 09-19-17, 04:24 PM

I dunno, my bike computer says I'm going slower with the 28's, having not gotten around to changing the setting yet. About 1/2 mph less than I think I'm going.
Slower than what?
Old 09-20-17, 09:33 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,530 Times in 1,857 Posts
Slower than what?
Slower than he thinks he is going.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.